2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

Why wouldn't you just franchise Clowney for a year?  He's not good enough for a second contract, imo, but for a one year rental it wouldn't be bad.  Would he become a malcontent if he is franchised?  Maybe, but he would be doing himself a huge disservice.  Draft OL and secondary, sign a mid-level FA here or there for OL and secondary, and draft a RB in the mid rounds.  I would love to see what Foreman could do a full year removed from the achilles injury as well.  I don't think the Texans are really that far off from being able to make some noise in the playoffs.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Why wouldn't you just franchise Clowney for a year?  He's not good enough for a second contract, imo, but for a one year rental it wouldn't be bad.  Would he become a malcontent if he is franchised?  Maybe, but he would be doing himself a huge disservice.  Draft OL and secondary, sign a mid-level FA here or there for OL and secondary, and draft a RB in the mid rounds.  I would love to see what Foreman could do a full year removed from the achilles injury as well.  I don't think the Texans are really that far off from being able to make some noise in the playoffs.  

tagging him wouldn't surprise me.  i think i even mentioned it earlier in the other thread.

http://nfldraft.theringer.com/

Crossposted from the NFL Daraft mockery thread, but that site has 4 OL ranked in their top 25 prospects.  The Texans should be able to get one of them to being the overhaul.  I really don't know much about them as I'm not the type to do that kind of research, but it appears this draft may be a good one for the Texans' needs.  With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, they should be able to help themselves.  

The Texans also need to revamp their RB stable.  I cannot think of any team that has a worse combo than Miller and Blue.  Blue is probably the worst second string back in the NFL.  Foreman may never be the same.  Which sucks, because pre-injury Foreman as RB1 and Miller as RB2 is not bad.

Seriously, the Rams went and signed CJ Anderson's fatass off the street and he looked 10x better than Blue.

19 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Texans also need to revamp their RB stable.  I cannot think of any team that has a worse combo than Miller and Blue.  Blue is probably the worst second string back in the NFL.  Foreman may never be the same.  Which sucks, because pre-injury Foreman as RB1 and Miller as RB2 is not bad.

Seriously, the Rams went and signed CJ Anderson's fatass off the street and he looked 10x better than Blue.

The Rams have one of the best OLs in the league....

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with having Blue on the team.  He should be the 3rd/4th depth guy who is great on special teams and is good at picking up the blitz. 

It's not his fault he gets as many carries as he does.  

Obrien is an incompetent manager/evaluator of running backs - it is probably his worst skill set. 

16 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Lulz. The Texans will be inconsistent on offense as long as O'Brien is involved in any way. He's a shitty coach and even worse game caller.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. The Texans will be inconsistent on offense as long as O'Brien is involved in any way. He's a shitty coach and even worse game caller.

Bingo. They needed to hire an O.C. outside the organization who would have fresh ideas and challenge O’Brien. We got a yes man like George Godsey again. O’Brien has never coached a good offense in the NFL except for the year he had the GOAT at QB in NE.

40 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Cody Stoots seems like a moron from that piece. Hiring a former defensive coach who has been tagging around with you since he was a ball boy is great because “people closest to you (BoB) will be honest with you.” LOLZ oh shit we’re in it now. 

He is going through life fat and stupid. He as terrible as a radio host on 610 with aggy López. Most boring guy I have ever heard on 610

I think people have a skewed perception on Clowney... No, he isn't a DPOY, but he's really good and really hard to replace at less than big dollars.

Clowney plays/stops the run better than Watt, but doesn't get as many sacks. The defense needs both. He is worth a 2nd contract, for sure. Not highest paid defensive player, but highly paid.

I expect him to get tagged...

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Houston sports radio in general is a late term abortion. The only one that actually talks sports the whole time they are on hour is Charlie Palilo. Every other show is fucking awful.

I enjoy Matt Thomas because he goes off the board a lot. And Ross (huge Longhorns fan) always keeps him in check about Matt's Cougars. 

15 hours ago, Hate said:

Houston sports radio in general is a late term abortion. The only one that actually talks sports the whole time they are on hour is Charlie Palilo. Every other show is fucking awful.

Give MaD radio a try on 610 in the mornings. Smart guys with good chemistry that talk sports.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Now go trade Clowney. 

I didn't realize the Rams tried to trade for Clowney during the season. Anyone know what the offer was? 

Not sure, but 2-3 draft picks would be nice. Was Wade still here when we drafted Clowney, or was he the year after Kubiak got fired in season as the team fell apart?

If he wants Khalil Mack money, I think he is going to be disappointed. The play for the Texans is to franchise him this year and see if they can get a long term deal at a team friendly price down. If they can’t, they can either franchise him again, trade him, or let him walk. They have all of the leverage in this scenario and there is virtually no way they can screw it up.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Injury history, he's missed 3 games the last 3 years. It's not his fault, the Texans field was a fucking disaster his rookie season.

He's torn his meniscus and battled back and elbow problems.  Yeah, he's been able to play through some of that, to his credit, but he does have an injury history.  On the flip side of that, he's barely 26, so he could have several prime years left.

I don't think anyone offers a 2nd rounder for him.  And I don't think you trade him for less.  So he probably stays, and I'm fine with that.  Clowney gets beat up a lot by Texans fans, but he's a good complement for JJ.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

He's torn his meniscus and battled back and elbow problems.  Yeah, he's been able to play through some of that, to his credit, but he does have an injury history.  On the flip side of that, he's barely 26, so he could have several prime years left.

I don't think anyone offers a 2nd rounder for him.  And I don't think you trade him for less.  So he probably stays, and I'm fine with that.  Clowney gets beat up a lot by Texans fans, but he's a good complement for JJ.

It would help if they played a 4 man front, as Clowney would be much better as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 end/OLB.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the things I would do if I was running the off season for the Texans:

1.  Franchise Clowney and try to work out a long term deal, but not pay him anywhere close to what Mack or Donald got paid.  He isn't on their level and shouldn't be paid like it.

2.  Re-sign honey badger.  He played well and apparently is very well liked by his teammates. 

3.  Overpay if you have to for Trent Brown. 

4.  Draft best tackle left on the board with the 1st round pick.

5.  Use both 2nd round picks on best remaining corners on the board.

6.  Draft a running back in the 3rd round.

7.  Use remaining picks to fill in depth on d-line and linebacker or draft best remaining player

I'm sure there is something that I missed, but they have a chance to solidify their defensive backfield and O-line for the next several years so that they can use future draft picks on depth and replacing FA's departures.  I think this is the most important off season in the history of the franchise and they have areal chance to set themselves up as contenders for the next several years. 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:31 PM, TonyTexas said:

Get ready for a large jump in PED suspensions

Late reply but I can't stand when McClain is on any program. He thinks that everyone wants to talk about the pro football hall of fame and how he votes on it. I think the only people that do care about the HOF are the players in it and the voters.