2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t expect this to go anywhere. LB is certainly not a priority for the Texans. They have 2 good ones in McKinney and Cunningham. OL, CB, should get most of the Texans attention.

GJ is a mid to late day 3 guy at best. We might be interested in bringing him in, but I doubt we'd use anything more than a 6th on him.

21 minutes ago, Atticus said:

GJ is a mid to late day 3 guy at best. We might be interested in bringing him in, but I doubt we'd use anything more than a 6th on him.

Listening to NFL scout dudes this morning, it sounds more like 3rd round or sneaking into the end of Round 2 maybe for the right team. They said he ran the fastest of any LB while being above average in weight/strength, has the skill set to be a 3 down LB in the modern NFL, and is in the pack of the #3-#6 rated LB. 

As for the Texans, if the choice is between drafting a good player at a non-need position that will be on your roster for 4+ years, vs reaching at a position of need and rolling the dice, give me a 3rd above average NFL LB over Jalen Davenport part 2.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t expect this to go anywhere. LB is certainly not a priority for the Texans. They have 2 good ones in McKinney and Cunningham. OL, CB, should get most of the Texans attention.

Sub packages are the rage in the NFL now. You could end up with a 3-3-5 with the 3 LBs being McKinney, Cunningham, and Johnson.

21 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Listening to NFL scout dudes this morning, it sounds more like 3rd round or sneaking into the end of Round 2 maybe for the right team. They said he ran the fastest of any LB while being above average in weight/strength, has the skill set to be a 3 down LB in the modern NFL, and is in the pack of the #3-#6 rated LB. 

As for the Texans, if the choice is between drafting a good player at a non-need position that will be on your roster for 4+ years, vs reaching at a position of need and rolling the dice, give me a 3rd above average NFL LB over Jalen Davenport part 2.

As much as I hope he's successful in the NFL, I'd rather another team take the risk of him panning out. He suffers from the same problem that Malik does as far as being slow to process information and react to it quickly enough.

I also worry about how he deals with having a good amount of spending money and free time.

Good for him if he goes that high though.

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hope the best for Gary, but he is undersized and weak (at least on the bench) compared to other LBs at the combine.  He is very fast, but I don't know that he will transition to a 3 down LB in the NFL.  Here is his spider graph which shows how he relates to other LBs at the combine

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/gary-johnson

(sorry too dumb to just post a pic of it)

They need anyone that can cover T.Y. Hilton as well. It’s ridiculous they can’t cover that guy. They can’t even scheme to take him out of the game.
Colts OL doesnt allow Texans to get pressure, and Luck extends the play when they do... And Texans DBs are slooooow.

It's not just TY. It's any good QB/OL combo. TY just happens to be there 2x a season. Before him, it was Reggie Wayne.

Can't cover Kelce, either.

46 minutes ago, Fico said:

We were never paying Mathieu that much. $14M per year is crazy.

Honey Badger was good not great last year. Justin Reid was better in coverage and made more big plays. I’m not spending $14 million on a S with the needs we have. KJax just signed with the Broncos for 3 years $33million. When is this team going to get aggressive in FA? Only year they did so was in 2011 when we got Manning and JJo. Not a coincidence that was the team that had the best shot of going to the SB if Schaub hadn’t gotten hurt. Make a real push to get Earl Thomas back home. I don’t think we can when the market has been set.

Amos from the Bears is a good option at the $9.5 million mark we’re willing to spend. Bradley Roby CB for the Broncos is in play for the Texans at around $11 million per. I want us to break the bank for CB and OT. Why the fuck weren’t we bidding for Trent Brown? When is this team going to fucking improve the horrendous OL we have. Make a real push to get Earl Thomas back home. I don’t think we can when the market had been set. I think the coaching is as bad as the “talent”. Mike Devlin is having these guys trying to do too much and they can’t even get simple plays down. Listen to Seth Payne in the mornings on 610’s MaD Radio. He explains why they suck so bad.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2

Johnson, Mathieu and Jackson leaving aren't losses in terms of they were good players. It hurts in the fact that there is little behind them that are better. Reid is a very good safety, Hal (when in remission) is better than Mattieu. Joseph is done, and last year's signing is still Oklahoma trash.

• Like 2

Not going to miss Jackson or Johnson. Will miss Honey B but there’s better ways to spend $14 m/yr. 

So when do we sign ET and a badass OT??? Seriously though, there was a glut of safeties released over the past couple weeks, and I figured we’d snag one of them on a discount if we let Mathieu go. Hopefully we still do. 

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not going to miss Jackson or Johnson. Will miss Honey B but there’s better ways to spend $14 m/yr. 

So when do we sign ET and a badass OT??? Seriously though, there was a glut of safeties released over the past couple weeks, and I figured we’d snag one of them on a discount if we let Mathieu go. Hopefully we still do. 

Safety isn't the concern that CB is on this team.

Sorry I left off CB in earlier post. In a draft very deep in DL and somewhat deep in WR (the two positions we need least), it would be nice to be able to draft best available and not reach on some borderline 3rd round OT or mid 2nd round CB at pick #23. I think they can get a good DB with one of their 2nd rounders. 

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What a fucking joke!! The Texans didn’t even contact KJax! Ridiculous!

Uhhhh I’m good with it.

Super disappointing to see all these lineman signing with other people. 

Landing Earl would be ideal, he’s worth high dollar, unlike some other high dollars guys have already signed for.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

ET probably will want at least $14mill/yr for at least 2years from Texans..... but maybe less on the gtys because of his age and injury history

I don't have a problem with the safety moves - I would have liked to keep KJax but not at 11M,  Mathieu at 14 is stupid.    Gipson, Reid and Hal are a good young safety group.

However, they better spend/trade/have a plan on corner backs, but nothing in their history shows they have a plan.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

ET probably will want at least $14mill/yr for at least 2years from Texans..... but maybe less on the gtys because of his age and injury history

I often wonder if it’s more about ego or money for certain players. If it’s just about money, go play for Houston, Dallas, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Seattle, or (soon to be) Las Vegas; and make your contract worth 5-10% more by avoiding a state income tax. 

If ET got a $13m/yr offer from Texans or Cowboys, that would be more in his pocket than the $14m/year Mathieu or Collins got. It would only be pride/ego to take a deal from a team in a tax heavy state just because of the big number that ESPN will report. I ponder this more with NBA players that pass on HOU/DAL/SAS for similar contracts with LAL, GSW, NYK, etc. 

46 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Not in FA.  

Trent Brown at $15MM would have been as bad a signing as Nate Solder was last year

Wrong. Trent Brown is young unlike Solder and I liked some of the tape I saw of him. Has good feet, the Texans are cheap and not hellbent and committed to winning. I thought when the old man croaked we’d might see more aggressive moves with the son in charge. Nope. Same old shit.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Pathetic signing. The guy is average at best. Let’s see if he is a healthy scratch for games like Aaron Colvin was this past year

Which would be an upgrade to what we had last year. He was listed as the 5th best CB available in FA. Go sign another one, and draft at least one in the draft, hopefully Boyd.