2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

Not to take away anything from Gracie, but Caceres is garbage and shouldn't even be in the UFC, but they have an infatuation with him cause he has a name and gimmick from TUF.  He is a tomato can that throws karate kicks, but sucks.   It is exactly what Gracie needed.  A warm up fight with a bum.  

Now thats out of the way.....turn it up a level or two and lets see what he can really do.  

• Like 1

Rough sport. 

UFC lightweight Paul Felder suffered a collapsed lung in the closing minutes of his fight against James Vick last night in Phoenix, his manager Brian Butler told ESPN's Ariel Helwani.

Doctors believe the lung was punctured when he took a shot to the ribs at the end of the third round. He is being held an extra day at a local Phoenix hospital for observation, Butler said.

With middleweight champion Robert Whittaker still recovering from an abdominal hernia, the UFC has booked an interim title fight between Kelvin Gastelum and Israel Adesanya for UFC 236, president Dana White told ESPN on Tuesday.

The pay-per-view event, scheduled for April 13, will take place at a venue to be determined.

Gastelum (15-3) was supposed to challenge Whittaker (20-4) for the 185-pound title at UFC 234 earlier this month in Melbourne, Australia. However, the bout was canceled just hours before the event after Whittaker, 28, was hospitalized with an abdominal hernia and underwent emergency surgery that day.

Whittaker, who fights out of Sydney, is still recovering from the procedure. His management recently told ESPN he is hoping to return this summer.

In the meantime, Gastelum will meet Adesanya (16-0), who is coming off a decision win over Anderson Silva at UFC 234. The undefeated Nigerian challenger is 5-0 in the UFC, with all five wins coming within a span of 12 months.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:47 PM, Scraps said:

Not to take away anything from Gracie, but Caceres is garbage and shouldn't even be in the UFC, but they have an infatuation with him cause he has a name and gimmick from TUF.  He is a tomato can that throws karate kicks, but sucks.   It is exactly what Gracie needed.  A warm up fight with a bum.  

Now thats out of the way.....turn it up a level or two and lets see what he can really do.  

Yup. They fed a weak wrestler to a Gracie.

Let's see what he can do against a few more guys before he's the next T-city.

3 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Man, fuck that shit. I know that’s just how this sport goes, but why the fuck would gastelum take that fight? We’ve all learned that intern belts don’t mean a god damn thing anymore (even in regards to being the number one contender). Gastelum has been moving up the ladder for a while now, so if (and probably when) adesanya schools him, it’s going to be a hard pill to swallow.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, Zavala said:

Teammates. Cruz sucks so bad at announcing

You really are like George Costanza when it comes to this and boxing. Literally every single thing you say is dumb. You should go with the opposite of everything you want to say. 

Cruz is great and gives good insight during fights. 

On 2/20/2019 at 4:36 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Man, fuck that shit. I know that’s just how this sport goes, but why the fuck would gastelum take that fight? We’ve all learned that intern belts don’t mean a god damn thing anymore (even in regards to being the number one contender). Gastelum has been moving up the ladder for a while now, so if (and probably when) adesanya schools him, it’s going to be a hard pill to swallow.

isnt there financial implication to interim titles though?  assuming they actually can fight their next figh with that title (unlike colby who got stripped), its supposed to give higher championship pay and bonuses

More interim belts! 

An interim lightweight title fight between featherweight champion Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier will headline UFC 236 on April 13, UFC president Dana White told ESPN on Friday.

The UFC 236 pay-per-view event will take place at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. An interim middleweight title fight between Kelvin Gastelum and Israel Adesanya will serve as the co-main event.

Khabib Nurmagomedov (27-0), the UFC's undefeated lightweight champion, is currently serving a nine-month suspension for his role in a post-fight brawl at UFC 229 in October. Nurmagomedov could have been eligible by April 13 had he filmed an anti-bullying message in Nevada, but has stated he does not intend to return until this fall.

The UFC has opted to create an interim 155-pound title in his absence. According to sources, the UFC also discussed a bout between Holloway and former interim champion Tony Ferguson, but ultimately landed on the Holloway, Poirier matchup.

Holloway (20-3) will hang on to his 145-pound title in the move. The Hawaiian champion is riding a 13-fight win streak, and is the No. 4 pound-for-pound fighter in the world according to ESPN.

Poirier (24-5), of Louisiana, is coming off a murderer's row of lightweight opponents, including victories over Anthony Pettis, Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez. Fighting out of American Top Team, the 30-year-old has won eight of his last nine contests, with six finishes.

The two have crossed paths previously. In 2012, Poirier submitted Holloway at UFC 143 in Las Vegas at 3:23 of the opening round. That bout was Holloway's UFC debut.

Well I guess I’m kind of looking forward to April 13th now. Poirier and Adesanya are easily two of my favorite fighters to watch. But there it is again with this bullshit lol. Is Ferguson hurt or something?! I would think he’s more deserving than either Hollaway or Poirier at 155. That freak accident is going to haunt him for the rest of his career. 

13 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

You really are like George Costanza when it comes to this and boxing. Literally every single thing you say is dumb. You should go with the opposite of everything you want to say. 

Cruz is great and gives good insight during fights. 

I don’t think he sucks, but I think he’s easily the worst announcer out of all the fighters. I find myself liking DC and Felder a lot more than Cruz, and I never liked DC until he started announcing. Could just be personal preference though. Cruz definitely knows what he’s talking about, but something about him drives me crazy sometimes.