2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

Was excited to see Askren fight in UFC especially after Rogan had hyped him up so much. Guess he's just not at this level. Should go ahead and call it a career if he doesn't need the money as he's already mid 30s and looks lost at this level of competition. 

If he needs the money call Coker and go back to Bellator. 

holy fuck

i mean , shouldnt be surprised

but goddamn

I mean, it’s what he does. And does it well as long as he just sticks to what he knows. I will never understand why some BJJ fighters insist on trying to prove they can strike (some can of course) and just fail.

I took a private lesson with Maia’s BJJ teacher, Fabio Gurgel, in São Paulo many years ago /csb.

33 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Me too. It's obvious his style is too prone to being knocked the fuck out, and now he's proven that he can't handle an elite grappler when he's getting tired.

his record against Douglas Lima and Koreshkov is why I thought he would be legit against UFC competition.  shame. 

54 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Was excited to see Askren fight in UFC especially after Rogan had hyped him up so much. Guess he's just not at this level. Should go ahead and call it a career if he doesn't need the money as he's already mid 30s and looks lost at this level of competition. 

If he needs the money call Coker and go back to Bellator. 

I wouldn’t go that far. I still feel like he can wrestle fuck anyone in that division to a unanimous decision. This was just a terrible matchup for him. Literally the one guy in the sport (or at least in the division) that is clearly a better grappler than him, and IMO Askren didn’t have the advantage on the feet. I don’t know if Maia even initiated a takedown attempt. That’s how comfortable he was standing.

I don’t know, it’s tough for me. His personality is good for the sport, but I just hate watching him fight. I don’t think he retires necessarily, but when you’re 1-2 in the ufc and the 1 was controversial as fuck, it’s going to be a LONG road back. Maybe run it back with lawler?

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I wouldn’t go that far. I still feel like he can wrestle fuck anyone in that division to a unanimous decision. This was just a terrible matchup for him. Literally the one guy in the sport (or at least in the division) that is clearly a better grappler than him, and IMO Askren didn’t have the advantage on the feet. I don’t know if Maia even initiated a takedown attempt. That’s how comfortable he was standing.

I don’t know, it’s tough for me. His personality is good for the sport, but I just hate watching him fight. I don’t think he retires necessarily, but when you’re 1-2 in the ufc and the 1 was controversial as fuck, it’s going to be a LONG road back. Maybe run it back with lawler?

going with transitive property, damian maia is/was a nasty motherfucker when he gets his hands on you -- and for a while he looked unsolvable -- but some dudes made him look pathetic

masvidal neutralized maia (and arguably took the decision);

colby embarassed him;

the other wrestlers (usman + woodley) beat him. 

where would askren slot?  over aged dudes like condit and matt brown?  holding together the bottom of T15 ranking?  maybe around 10-15?

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

going with transitive property, damian maia is/was a nasty motherfucker when he gets his hands on you -- and for a while he looked unsolvable -- but some dudes made him look pathetic

masvidal neutralized maia (and arguably took the decision);

colby embarassed him;

the other wrestlers (usman + woodley) beat him. 

where would askren slot?  over aged dudes like condit and matt brown?  holding together the bottom of T15 ranking?  maybe around 10-15?

That’s fair. I would think he’d be more than just a gate keeper, but maybe he does actually need to learn one thing besides wrestling. I just think he’s the best pure wrestler in the division. Maybe even by a long shot. Those guys will always have a chance to pull out a decision. 

But you’re right. He would probably end up being the type of guy that consistently stays ranked between 5-10. He doesn’t strike me as the type of guy that would stick around to be a gate keeper. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Really hope Gastelum beats till so he can be in the mix for one of the next title shots. That first fight with Idesanya was a fucking barn burner. Kinda want to see them run it back at some point. 

that boy ate one too many tortillas tho