2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Masvidal really should get the next title shot, but instead he has to run that back. I really don’t need to see it again. Nate was getting pieced up and had no answer. 

im thinking money.  with how good this card was -- possibly the highest UFC PPV for 2019 ?? -- the rematch might do the same.  in which case, same cash in the bank be it imaginary belt or real belt

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Nate did get saved though. Masvidal was fucking him up. I kinda feel bad for him. This was gonna propel him to bigger things. Now he kinda has to run it back

Yes and no.  Nate was in trouble but he could take advantage of a slip up or Masvidal tiring.

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I agree, but if that were a 3 round fight it was probably 30-26. There had to be a 10 8 round sprinkled in there.

But it wasn't ....and we all no that's the point.   Masvidal was scary dominant but you give a cardio guy a chance in late rounds you never know.

50 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Can we somehow get rid of weight cutting? It’s just a subversive tactic to cut water weight or worse to leverage an advantage.

On top of that it compromises the quality of performances.

Many fans have been clamoring for same day weigh-ins for years.  That would get rid of most of it.

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Many fans have been clamoring for same day weigh-ins for years.  That would get rid of most of it.

Maybe not same day, but a controlled weight cut where everyone has to be at a certain % multiple times leading up to the event. Then the day of fight it's only allowed a certain %?

27 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Maybe not same day, but a controlled weight cut where everyone has to be at a certain % multiple times leading up to the event. Then the day of fight it's only allowed a certain %?

In regards to Nate Diaz unfortunately a good stoppage.

I think something like the percentage cut is already in place.

6 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

In regards to Nate Diaz unfortunately a good stoppage.

I think something like the percentage cut is already in place.

Yeah there's an amount for after that you can balloon back up to. I'm talking about before, they should make it a controlled % of weights for 1 month cutting so you don't have people that don't drink water before a fight and dehydrate their brain. Maybe like you can only weigh 10% or so over the weight any time a month before the fight. Just weigh the guys when you do the piss tests

Looks like I may have to suck it up and take the L, pussy. I'm a Diaz fanboy, but still really like Jorge (how can you not), but going in I thought the most likely scenario was Jorge lands big and ends it early, or he doesn't and Nate drags him into deep waters and sees if he can survive hell. Unfortunately Nate's face only allowed for half of that.

It's all just sour grapes now, but even going into the 4th round, just that visual of Nate jogging on his feet while Jorge's face has changed from his 1st-round smirk to a blank stare like "wtf do I gotta hit this guy with" is tough to swallow. The 3rd round is when some ground game got involved, a bit of wrestling, a leg lock attempt, some clean 1-2s from Nate, etc. The fight was getting competitive.

If you look at the numbers, Nate's volume went up in round 3, along with punches landed.  He is no doubt a high-volume, long-distance fighter.

But then again, there was zero signs that Jorge was getting tired, unlike e.g. the matches against Conor where you saw the gap in cardio. 

So there's a non-zero chance Nate turns it up in the 4th and 5th and catches Jorge off guard.  But the chances are low, and it was definitely a 30-26 when the fight was stopped.

56 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

With the horns looking so bad early I turned it over to the Hardy v Volkov fight. Volkov took him apart like I expected but have to say Hardy isn't the can people thought he'd be. He's got a tough chin and isn't top 10 material but he belongs. 

Damn, I missed this. It doesn’t really surprise me though. If you’re a good enough athlete to be a top tier defensive lineman in the NFL, it goes without saying that you’re going to be one of the best raw athletes in MMA. I could see him being top 10 caliber in a few years. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

I’m not saying Nick Diaz is crazy, but his interview with Ariel Helwani takes bananas to comprehend.

“Don’t talk about baptizing my brother. Like, do your thing, make that money, but you cross a line when you talk about baptizing my brother. That’s my baby brother”

lol yeah that was a ridiculous interview.

Also, Israel Adesanya on Joe Rogan’s podcast today. I haven’t listened, but he’s usually a good interview. He was the last time he was on rogans podcast

7 hours ago, spystud13 said:

That is Ross Pearson after a very brief retirement on the wrong end. One of the sites called it a rolling thunder kick. 

I remember watching Ross Pearson on TUF (if that’s the same guy I’m thinking of). When Dan Henderson and Bisping were the coaches leading up to UFC 100. That season of TUF was my first taste of MMA.

10 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Jorge Masvidal vs. Nick Diaz for the BMF

Pick your week, pick your venue

Make money

I think they'll kill the BMF shit, and rightfully so, but fuck I can't wait for this. I'm 90% sold that this is going to happen as well. Both fighters want it, I now see that Jorge is playing the UFC the way he should ($$$, fuck the belt), and I don't think there's a fight out there that makes more sense. Not sure how Nick boxes better than Nate, considering they learned from the same, but there is intrigue in Nick being bigger. I'd waste my time and ask for a come-back fight for Nick first, but we all know he wants THE fight.

17 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I think they'll kill the BMF shit, and rightfully so, but fuck I can't wait for this. I'm 90% sold that this is going to happen as well. Both fighters want it, I now see that Jorge is playing the UFC the way he should ($$$, fuck the belt), and I don't think there's a fight out there that makes more sense. Not sure how Nick boxes better than Nate, considering they learned from the same, but there is intrigue in Nick being bigger. I'd waste my time and ask for a come-back fight for Nick first, but we all know he wants THE fight.

on the flip side Nick is older, and has had a longgg layoff.  nate has recently beaten strikers (pettis, mcgregor, mj).  nick fought anderson silva and condit, and the rest of his bouts have been firmly back in the previous era of MMA. 

id wager the betting line would be even worse for nick than it is for nate

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will defend his title against Dominick Reyes on Feb. 8 in Houston, UFC president Dana White told ESPN.

The 205-pound championship fight will headline the UFC's pay-per-view event, which does not yet have an official number, inside Toyota Center. In the co-main event, female flyweight champion Valentina Shevchenko (18-3) will face No. 1 contender Katlyn Chookagian (13-2).

Sadly, we all knew this was the outcome. 

An Alabama district attorney said Monday that authorities have "good reason'' to believe human remains that were found belong to the missing stepdaughter of UFC heavyweight fighter Walt Harris.

The remains were found on a county road in neighboring Macon County, Lee County District Attorney Brandon Hughes told The Associated Press.

"I can confirm that human remains have been found in Macon County on County Road 2, and we have good reason to believe they are that of Aniah Blanchard,'' Hughes said.

Police have arrested two people in the disappearance last month of the 19-year-old. She was last seen Oct. 23 in Auburn. After she disappeared, her black Honda CRV was found abandoned more than 50 miles away at an apartment complex in Montgomery, Alabama.

Auburn police detective Josh Mixon said Blanchard's blood was found in the car and it appeared she had suffered a life-threatening injury. Mixon testified that convenience store video footage showed a man buying a beverage look over at Blanchard. He said tipsters later identified the man as Ibraheem Yazeed, 29, and a man at the store told investigators he saw Yazeed force Blanchard into her car and drive away.

Police have arrested Yazeed and a second man, 35-year-old Antwain Shamar Fisher of Montgomery, in Blanchard's disappearance. In an arrest warrant filed with the court Monday, police said Fisher helped Yazeed by disposing of evidence and driving him.

Harris decided last not month not to compete against Alistair Overeem in the scheduled UFC Washington headliner Dec. 7 due to Blanchard's disappearance.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:02 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Khabib v Ferguson is a done deal. Set for 4/18. Don’t want to jinx it, but that’s a ton of time for someone to find a way to fuck this up again. I’m excited though. I think Ferguson is the only guy in the division skilled enough and crazy enough to pull this off. 

It’s a toss up. Tony isn’t going to be worried about trying to get Khabib off of him when it goes to the ground. Tony is looking for any opportunity to spill blood. Can’t wait.

Until I see otherwise I'll believe 100 percent that anyone at 155 is too small to handle Khabib. I thought Poirier was about as polished a striker I'd seen in the division with a very good ground game and Khabib ate him up so badly he contemplated retirement afterwards. 

I think it would take a bigger guy like Masvidal to stand a chance. 

Masvidal Khabib would be an incredible fight.  Lightning hand speed from masvidal (like MJ, Conor, etc) BUT with size on top and hes not afraid to grapple like vs Maia. 

Masvidal would be game.  But I dont think Khabib needs the money or any more popularity. 

After Ferguson, the only LW left is Gaethje which doesnt really add to his accolade.  And if he wanted a legacy-defining moonshot, it would be against GSP.  Masvidal doesnt fit that bill.  I can see him calling it quits after Ferguson fight

I’d usually agree and take Khabib 100% but just can’t do it here. Ferguson is the quicker and more creative striker when compared to Poirier. Ferguson is definitely better on the ground. Just see his finishes during his equally impressive win streak. D’arce, rear naked, D’arce etc. In a scramble? Give me Ferguson. When you saw Poirier look to his corner w Khabib on him you had to know it was over. Tony does not have any self-doubt.

Khabib hasn’t experienced any real problems in the cage. Looking at the faces of the fighters Tony has dealt with I would be shocked if Khabib escapes unscathed. How does Khabib deal w adversity? I have no idea because he’s too damn good and hasn’t fought anyone like Tony.

Ferguson is fearless and trades strikes for strikes on the feet and on the ground.  Khabib doesnt play that game though - he doesnt gamble positions in scrambles to seek submissions, but methodicaly advances control.  Everyone describes him as having incredible strength for his weight class.  The guy closest to that Tony fought recently was Tony Lee who was beating him up pretty good from top position. 

Khabib has shown he does slow down in the later rounds, only ever so slightly, because hes been so dominant in the earlier rounds.  If Tony maintains his durability, and can catch Khabib a few times in the earlier rounds, it might position him to get lucky in the later rounds.  But that's the only place where he can possibly win ,IMO: in the 4th or 5th. 

Edited by 52-80
  • Like 1

I think you might be underselling just how good Ferguson is. He has the longest win streak in UFC light weight history. I wouldn’t bet my life on Ferguson winning, but if Ferguson can’t do it, then nobody will until Khabib retires. I just think he has more ways to beat Khabib than anyone else he’s ever fought. This is easily both guys toughest fight of their career, and it isn’t even close IMO.

• Like 1