2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

18 hours ago, Zavala said:

Lol Stipe should retire before he gets Shadowrelmed by Ngannou. His head movement and defense was pretty bad this fight

1566105592087-sp.jpg

are you genetically predisposed to saying the dumbest most wrong bullshit

every.

single.

time?

I fully fully fully 100% expect Stipe to win if he fights Ngannou again just because you don't think he would. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I hope Diaz v Masvidal is a 5 round main event type of fight. Even if you have to put a shitty championship fight in front of it, that fight can carry a card IMO. I think that would get Masvidal and Nate a pretty big payday. It’s a fight everyone wants to see.

Jorge and Nate should self-announce being the headlining fight for UFC 244 at Madison Square Garden and let Dan White try to talk his way out of it.

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Meh.  I agree that fighters should be paid more in general.  But Paige has lost 3 of her last 5 fights and she's talking about how she should be paid more because of her star power?  The only reason she even has a contract at this point is because she's pretty.  Hard to feel too sorry for her.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, spystud13 said:

Well, if you need to run an errand for 20 minutes or so, now would be the time. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, JohnnyRage said:

Ended up being the best fight of the night. Unspectacular night. But it was something else to watch Usman work, and the Askren/Lawler fight couldn’t have gone better for all three parties involved.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:47 AM, JohnnyRage said:

I wasn't on the thread in real time, I thought you were referring to Zhang vs. Torres.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, spystud13 said:

Yeah, it sucked. If you really thought that was the best fight, well, you must be dating someone in one of their camps. 

Just for nostalgia. I admit I missed the card though.

Edited by JohnnyRage

36 minutes ago, ajax said:

It's in Abu Dhabi? Will they even be allowed to have ring card girls?

More importantly, does anyone think Poirier has a chance?

Poirier has a chance if he can land something meaningful to make Khabib respect him a bit and avoid overcompensating to avoid the takedown or gassing too fast (which has been an issue with him in the past).  He will likely end up like McGregor, gassed out early after trying to stay alive on the ground and then finished shortly thereafter.  I think Poirier's best hope is to "be first" and land something meaningful very early so that Khabib has to think twice about just waltzing in and imposing his will (easier said than done).  I'd be surprised if it get's past 3 rounds, unless they both gas out.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, Junior Miller said:

Asshole has-been BJ Penn squares up some fat dude in Hawaii, gets slept, then later jumps the dude from behind. Lulzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://deadspin.com/b-j-penn-tells-shirtless-guy-to-punch-him-gets-knocke-1837672409/amp

Hopefully Dana holds to this. 

It appears that BJ Penn's UFC tenure has finally come to an end.

UFC president Dana White told ESPN on Thursday he will not offer the 40-year-old legend another bout in the Octagon, on the heels of two videos that were released of Penn fighting on the streets in Hawai'i.

The UFC was working on booking Penn (16-14-2) a fight against Nik Lentzbefore the end of the year, but those plans are now off, according to White.

"He won't fight again, that's it," White told ESPN. "That's a wrap. It's not even that this was the last straw. I didn't love him continuing to fight anyway, but with the relationship that he and I have -- he gets me on the phone, begging me for another fight. It's hard to turn him down.

"After what I saw in that video, BJ needs to, you know, he needs to focus on his personal life before he thinks about fighting."

White said he has not reached out to Penn personally, but said the promotion has informed Penn of its decision to not book him another fight.

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Conor isn’t 40, hist last win wasn’t legitimately 9 years ago. BJ is horrific now, he needs to be retired. 

Comparing Conor (spelled correctly) to BJ fucking Penn in 2019 is fucking comical. 

Dana didn't give his reason again BJ fighting because he sucks in the octagon (which he does), but because of outside-the-octagon shenanigans. 

That's the comparison.

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

what exactly is the “snag”. Happy for Masvidal though. Sounds like him vs Diaz wasn’t going to happen for a while.

99% reason, Colby negotiated for more money.  Dana balked and fake-offered Masvidal instead as a negotion ploy.  And reading between the lines, they already pulled it back. 

And dumb ole Masvidal left holding the bag, thought he legit had a chance at title fight.

Nate v. Masvidal. 

One of the biggest mixed martial arts fights of 2019 is set.

Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal will happen at UFC 244 on Nov. 2 at Madison Square Garden in New York, UFC president Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto on Saturday. The welterweight fight will headline the event.

"It is the fight fans wanted to see," White told Okamoto. "Nate Diaz called out Masvidal after his win over [Anthony] Pettis. Everybody has been talking about it. People have been hitting me up on social media, telling me to get it done. I can now announce the fight is done."

It will not be a title fight, White told Okamoto, which is atypical for a main event.

"It's one of those fights that is fun, interesting, fans are into it, you want to see for five rounds -- yet it's too big to be a fight night," White told Okamoto. "So we made it a pay-per-view. I will end up stacking this card with killer fights. The main event will be those two."

The UFC will not book a title fight to MSG because, in White's words,"I would never put a title fight underneath this. There won't be a title fight [at MSG]."

The booking comes after a frenetic week of negotiations between the UFC and multiple fighters, sources say.

Late last week, the UFC tried to book UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington for the MSG headliner. After failing to come to terms with Covington on a deal, the UFC moved on and offered the title fight to Masvidal, according to sources. After coming to terms with Masvidal on Wednesday, the promotion was unable to strike a deal with Usman. That prompted the UFC to reach out to top contender Leon Edwards to see if he would be interested in fighting Masvidal for the vacant title after a threat was made to strip Usman.

The talks with Edwards didn't progress, because in the midst of all this an opportunity presented itself to book Diaz vs. Masvidal as the MSG headliner, sources say. Once it was clear there was mutual interest between all parties to make that fight happen, the UFC focused all its attention over the past day or so to book that fight. They were able to finalize it Friday afternoon, ESPN has learned.

The fight is one between two of the most popular fighters in the sport today. Diaz (20-11) looked dominant in his return from a three-year layoff last month when he defeated Pettis via unanimous decision. His rivalry with Conor McGregor in 2016 transformed him into one of the biggest draws in MMA history.

Masvidal (34-13) has had a phenomenal year in his own right, as he knocked out Darren Till in March and followed that up with a five-second knockout of Ben Askren in July. The latter is the quickest knockout in UFC history.

Following Diaz's win at UFC 241, he said he wanted Masvidal next.

He got his wish.

The rumored fight between Usman and Covington seems to have fallen through for now.

"That fight completely fell apart between those two ... Remember this, I put on fights for a living. That's what I do," White told Okamoto. "When I go out and tell you we're doing this guy versus this guy, this guy's next -- if that doesn't happen, it's not because of me ... What guys say publicly and what goes on behind closed doors are two different things. One thing about me, I don't wait for anybody. I don't care how big of a star you are. I have a fight at MSG. People want to go buy tickets and we need to get moving."

The promotion has one more pay-per-view left in 2019 after UFC 244, and that's UFC 245 on Dec. 14 in Las Vegas.

The event at Madison Square Garden will mark the UFC's fourth trip to the arena since 2016.