2019 UFC/MMA thread

spystud13

9 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Well, if you need to run an errand for 20 minutes or so, now would be the time. 

Ended up being the best fight of the night. Unspectacular night. But it was something else to watch Usman work, and the Askren/Lawler fight couldn’t have gone better for all three parties involved.

Edit:

I thought the last question was about Woodley

[He quit because he knew in his heart that it wasn't his night and the man across from him was more prepared. So my wild guess is that he has felt that before in his wrestling career and just became a zombie in dreamland.]

Smith started to put his hand, knees and butt on the ground to ensure no head kicks or knees. He had no answers. Tough of him to be able to ride it out to a decision, but a cowardly way of passing the time. He could have taken the decision in a controversial disqualification due to an illegal strike, but did the right thing and said he was fine to continue fighting.

Edited by JohnnyRage

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Haven't seen the fight yet.  Did he quit because he gassed?

Not gas (though few people give credit to how incredibly it was for Usman to apply 110% pressure for 5 straight rounds)

I think it was a combination of Woodley underestimating him; not being fully focused (never seemed to be in it during fight week); finally being under-sized and out-powered in the weight class; and simply his lifelong M.O. of walking back fighting shy waiting for a counter right.....that finally caught up with him

Just watched the Usman v Woodley fight. My god. Never thought I’d see the day where Woodley would just get mauled like that. 

Also, we were talking about it earlier in the thread, but that fight is why I can’t stand Cruz calling fights sometimes. I couldn’t put my finger on it before, but he always has to be right. He’ll never just let it go and move on if you disagree with what he’s saying. 

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just watched the Usman v Woodley fight. My god. Never thought I’d see the day where Woodley would just get mauled like that. 

Also, we were talking about it earlier in the thread, but that fight is why I can’t stand Cruz calling fights sometimes. I couldn’t put my finger on it before, but he always has to be right. He’ll never just let it go and move on if you disagree with what he’s saying. 

Know-it-all complex

They should add a rule to allow a restart or continuation in rare cases like the Lawler Askren fight. On replay, Dean lifted Lawler's hand and Lawler gave a thumbs up. Just go to replay.

I can't think of another fight where this would apply.

Garbrandt might be the dumbest fighter in the organization. To have those skills and that crazy speed and 3 times in a row get easily drawn into a brawl where his mediocre chin gets exploited is sheer stupidity. 

Want to see Askren and Lawler do it again. Not many people can get slammed and beaten up like Askren did that early and come back with 2 minutes left in the rounds to have a choke on the guy. That wasn't lasting much longer even if it wasn't stopped. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, ajax said:

They should add a rule to allow a restart or continuation in rare cases like the Lawler Askren fight. On replay, Dean lifted Lawler's hand and Lawler gave a thumbs up. Just go to replay.

I can't think of another fight where this would apply.

He didn't give a thumbs up. His hand didn't drop all the way down but dropped about half way then Lawler kind of waved it side to side. No thumb was up though

On 3/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

I actually love that he does that. Rogan does that shit to his guests on his podcast all the time, even when he has extremely brilliant physicists and scientists on and won't shut the fuck up to let them speak. Hearing Cruz do that to him brings a smile to my face. 

33 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I actually love that he does that. Rogan does that shit to his guests on his podcast all the time, even when he has extremely brilliant physicists and scientists on and won't shut the fuck up to let them speak. Hearing Cruz do that to him brings a smile to my face. 

Ehh we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on that take about Rohan. Maybe I’m in the minority, but if he used to do that, he hasn’t done it in the 4 years I’ve been listening. Granted, i don’t listen to every single episode, but he rarely does it when it’s bit warranted. Cruz on the other hand, will argue till he is blue in the face about anything. He’s the type of person that will step in a room full of people that disagree with his take, and he’ll argue with everyone in the room until everyone just says “you know what Cruz. You’re right. Is that what you were looking for? Is that the recipe to get you to just shut up”

I was pulling for Cruz in just about all of his fights. Especially the ones against team alpha male. But his commentating has made me dislike him. Straight up. 

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Ehh we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on that take about Rohan. Maybe I’m in the minority, but if he used to do that, he hasn’t done it in the 4 years I’ve been listening. Granted, i don’t listen to every single episode, but he rarely does it when it’s bit warranted. Cruz on the other hand, will argue till he is blue in the face about anything. He’s the type of person that will step in a room full of people that disagree with his take, and he’ll argue with everyone in the room until everyone just says “you know what Cruz. You’re right. Is that what you were looking for? Is that the recipe to get you to just shut up”

I was pulling for Cruz in just about all of his fights. Especially the ones against team alpha male. But his commentating has made me dislike him. Straight up. 

ive been listening to the jack dorsey (twitter) and brian cox (physicist) ones.... rogan absolutely does not stamp his opinion on the discussion.  he just ushers it along. 

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

ive been listening to the jack dorsey (twitter) and brian cox (physicist) ones.... rogan absolutely does not stamp his opinion on the discussion.  he just ushers it along. 

Same with Neil Degrasse Tyson, and Arian Foster. I just don’t agree with juniors take at all. I forget what podcast i was listening to, but they even touched on how they don’t feel like Cruz and Rogan have good chemistry, considering how knowledgeable both are about the sport. Can’t say the same about him and DC

Pretty boring card. I was pumped to watch it on my flight home from LA. No Dad got headbutted and went full regard. The girl fights are pathetic other than the champions, never gets spicy or close to finish.

Usman and Colby should be good, they both fight similar styles, I think Usman has the bigger gas tank though. Woodley looked horrible, he has zero creativity in striking.

Nobody is going to be able to touch Bones in that division for 5 or 6 more years and he retires undefeated. 

13 hours ago, Zavala said:

Pretty boring card. I was pumped to watch it on my flight home from LA. No Dad got headbutted and went full regard. The girl fights are pathetic other than the champions, never gets spicy or close to finish.

Usman and Colby should be good, they both fight similar styles, I think Usman has the bigger gas tank though. Woodley looked horrible, he has zero creativity in striking.

Nobody is going to be able to touch Bones in that division for 5 or 6 more years and he retires undefeated. 

I think Dana is going to plead with Jon and try to get him to move to Heavyweight. If that were to happen, it would be interesting to see what contenders rise to the top. 

Johnny Walker is the guy
  • Like 1

Uh 235 was awesome and good chance itll be the best event (not just best card on paper) of 2019.  I imagine they'll be some blockbuster unification stuff in the back half of the year, especially involving Lightweight, but this card was pretty dope top to bottom

But that’s not how the main card played out.

Yass, late round 1 KO

Women’s 3 round decision, and the most competitive fight.

Yass, beautiful 1st round disaster

5 round nightmare ass whooping decision

5 round lopsided decision with one fighter barely engaging 

Edited by JohnnyRage

if the card had went the way it was supposed to go, in a predictable manner, even with the KOs and finishes, it wouldnt have been dramatic.

instead diego upset mickey gall in a really exciting matter (since everybody was fearing he was goign to get the CTE knocked out of him).

zabit i thought was overrated, and stephens started clawing back at him. 

johny walker broke his arm after the fight... funny idiot.

anyone saw pedro beating cody by striking?

askren fight was fucking awesome since it had everything

usman fight was tense (i say that as woodley fan)

dont care about the women fight, and didnt even pay attention to the jones fight

How can you not appreciate how Usman smothered every attempt by Woodley to fight, especially given how great Woodley has been. Even with the referee several times standing them up when Usman was in dominant position.

I got winded just watching that non stop energy expenditure. At least when I played futbol I'd get chances to walk between sprints.  

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

People used to talk about BJ Penn like he was in the discussion for MMA GOAT. Now he’s still fighting, just fucking up his legacy with every fight 

these fighting dudes dont know when to quit.  and for them its too late to preserve any good position to exit - unlike for gsp

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

these fighting dudes dont know when to quit.  and for them its too late to preserve any good position to exit - unlike for gsp

The majority of them it's all they know. They don't have a good sense for starting a side business(es) while fighting to set them for post fighting career because they don't know where to start and don't know who to trust. So many sharks out there looking to rip off a guy with money that doesn't know anything about growing a business. 

So they find themselves in mid to late 30s with money but nowhere to go, diminishing skills, and slower recovery time/more injuries.