The Knights of Columbus are racist, homophobic bigots, etc

Parliament

Opus Dei you’re on notice. Not sure how this affects the super secret Templars branch.

Skull & Bones is next. No word from the Reptilian Society of Male Humanoids or the Bilderbergs with Big Brass Balls.

Welp, now we will add you to the list....

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Buescher Responses to QFRs.pdf

Search for "knights." The formatting is messed up copying over so I only copied a small excerpt. It's mentioned 21 times. Lots of "Knights hold this position, will you..." questions and "I didn't write that statement so I can't comment" or "I will apply the law" answers. 

Spoiler

You reported that you have been a member of the Knights of Columbus since 1993.
The Knights of Columbus has taken a number of extreme positions. For example, it
was reportedly one of the top contributors to California’s Proposition 8 campaign to
ban same-sex marriage.

a. If confirmed, do you intend to end your membership with this
organization to avoid any appearance of bias?

The Knights of Columbus is a Roman Catholic service organization with approximately
two million members world-wide. I have not drafted any policies or positions for the
national organization. If confirmed, I will abide by the Code of Conduct of United
States Judges and will not affiliate with any organization in violation of the Code.

b. If confirmed, will you recuse yourself from all cases in which the
Knights of Columbus has taken a position?

The Knights of Columbus does not have the authority to take personal political
positions on behalf of all of its approximately two million members. If confirmed, I
will apply all provisions of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges, including
Canon 3(C), regarding recusal and disqualification.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

All of that is perfectly reasonable, but you're forgetting that she's an uppity black woman and Parliament just can't have that.

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge this comment. Using the race card to cover race baiting ... man ... I have not seen skill like that since my buddy covered my blind nil and took only one trick. That's legit skill right there. I guess since the last fake scandal failed, go back to old stand-by bogeymen.

• Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

In the days before mobile phones, my grandmother tells a story of calling up at the frat house Knights of Columbus place and asking for my grandfather and invariably someone would say, "no he's not here, i'm sorry".

When he passed away, they had some interesting farewell ceremony complete with hats and sabres and the whole thing

Yeah, my dad is a 4th degree knight-so that is when you get all the hats and swords and stuff.

However, it is not like it is some lifetime pursuit of moving up the ranks to get that stuff like in the movies.  A couple of years at most.  My dad is 85 now and I don't think he even joined the knights until he was 80.

I myself am a 3rd degree knight and got moved up to that from 1st degree in a "2 fer" ceremony that was both 2nd and 3rd degree.  Must have been like 18 years ago.  I don't even attend church anymore but the chapter still pays my dues and sends me mail so I guess I am still a member.

As for all the oaths you have to take etc., I don't remember any of that stuff, but being a catholic organization, they are going to be in line with the Church.

As for my own personal recollections: I did not participate in any of the knight activities when I was going to church on the regular as any time I spent doing church stuff was devoted to more spiritual matters.

The initiation ceremonies felt like they were left over from 1950's Baltimore or Boston  or some other old east coast city where everybody in your neighborhood was catholic.  They tried to make the initiation all serious and skull and bones like, but you could tell that it was a relic of a time gone by, kind of like the aggy bonfire.

They were really big on selling you some K of C life insurance, so I guess that is their profit center.

My overall impression was of a bunch of dudes who wanted something to do that sort of had to do with church but did not want to deal with touchy-feely spiritual stuff, or feeding the poor or religious education etc.   Possibly some networking going on. Like others have said, half the guys in there are in it because their wives were bagging on them to get more involved at church and they chose the bar-b-q beer drinking men's club.

As far as the race stuff goes, I am just not seeing it from my experience.  Yeah it is mostly white, but we had all races represented and everybody got along.

I remember when I was a kid, they were a big deal back in the 70's, but I suspect even their best days were behind them even at that point.

I'm not sure I see the problem. You voluntarily belong to a group that espouses positions contrary to Federal law.  I don't see why making sure the candidate doesn't also support those positions is problematic. Now, making them renounce their religion or sever all ties does seem a bit much, although I'm wondering what OP would think if an Muslim candidate belonged to an Islamic org that promoted anti-constitutional positions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

KofC is no more or less objectionable than the Catholic Church itself.  I hope we’ve not gotten to the point where we ask people to renounce their religion to serve in government.  

Pretty much this. I don't want anyone to have to renounce their religion (though KoC isn't a religion by itself) to hold office.

On the flip side, it would be nice if candidates didn't have to publicly drown themselves in Jesus juice to even have a shot at holding powerful offices in this country.

• Like 1

KofC is a fine organization. Nothing wrong with them. 
It's idiotic, imo, to single them out as a group for criticism and think membership may be cause for impartiality or lack of independence or a harbinger of some deep, latent racism. 

The only accusation of racism was in Parliament’s fever dream.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

On the flip side, it would be nice if candidates didn't have to publicly drown themselves in Jesus juice to even have a shot at holding powerful offices in this country.

Trump turned flipped that paradigm by doing an Andy Kaufman interpretation of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah, my dad is a 4th degree knight-so that is when you get all the hats and swords and stuff.

My Father is also a 4th degree knight; as for me, I'm a recovering Catholic.  His chapter was doing a bunch of relief activities for the migrant children at the border. Told him I was happy that they were doing it, but it wouldnt be necessary if not for the shameful child separation policy.

3 hours ago, DanRydell said:

The only accusation of racism was in Parliament’s fever dream.

If you read the actual questioning, there’s no accusation of bigotry directly, but there’s the repeated suggestion and assumption that a member of a Catholic Church group is unable to objectively apply the law. This fits in with the historical anti-catholic bigotry that JFK and others faced. You don’t want the Pope calling the shots in Nebraska courts.

I guess if the right wants to go back to the 1950s the left has decided to join in.

they are here to fry some fish on fridays, drink some liquor, be racist, homophobic, bigots...and they're all out of fish and beer.  and fridays?

or something.

dumbfuck thread created by an unabashed dumbfuck.

of course being a koc should not disqualify one from being appointed as a judge, as should be the opposite (though we know it isn't regionally).  however, it is worth understanding if one is capable of separating issues of personal faith an religious doctrine from say, oh, i don't know...the doctrine that is federal law.

37 minutes ago, Mole said:

If you read the actual questioning, there’s no accusation of bigotry directly, but there’s the repeated suggestion and assumption that a member of a Catholic Church group is unable to objectively apply the law. This fits in with the historical anti-catholic bigotry that JFK and others faced. You don’t want the Pope calling the shots in Nebraska courts.

I guess if the right wants to go back to the 1950s the left has decided to join in.

Of course, there's this repeated suggestion and assumption that he is unable to objectively apply the law because he has stated repeatedly he disagrees with the laws.

45 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Of course, there's this repeated suggestion and assumption that he is unable to objectively apply the law because he has stated repeatedly he disagrees with the laws.

His statements are fair game and should be pursued. Questioning his associations with the Catholic Church sure sounds like the bigoted statements that came out every time a catholic ran for office up through JFK. The idea that he is unable to fairly apply the law due to his religion (which we’re inches away saying from here), particularly due to being a Catholic which has a storied history of facing this kind of bigotry in this country, is the problem here. If a Jewish judge was questioned suggesting greater allegiance to Israel and suggesting that by the virtue of being Jewish, he is unable to apply the law fairly, we’d all rightly call it out as anti-Semitic. Same for Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, etc.

Spend five minutes reading about what catholic politicians faced in the first part of the 20th century and you might find those words familiar. The speakers have changed, but the story (essentially taking orders from the Pope) is the same. 

For the record, I left the Catholic Church almost 2 decades ago when their organized child rape market went public, so I’m not fan of the organization. This shouldn’t be about team affiliation but about standing up to bigotry. I fail to see a big difference between this and Trumps Mexican judge comments (besides compressibility).

They actually do really great work and for the most part are like protestant Rotarians, just a drinking club with a philanthropy problem.  

However, I have to wonder over the centuries---how many KoC guys wandered into a church basement to get the flags and table tents for the next meeting and saw a priest just mouth-raping some young kid and just looked the other way.  Had to happen, just based on raw numbers, a few dozen times, if not in the thousands.  

On 1/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Anastasis said:

Isn't the KoC basically a BBQ cooking club/excuse for Catholic men to drink?

I went to a KoC fish fry once, and those idiots didn't have the oil hot enough, so every fish filet was a soggy disgusting oil brick. 

For that alone I am fine disqualifying them all from any position of authority.