2019 Surly runners thread

Bevo in VA

So after following the Body transformation thread for quite some time, I decided it was time to get off my ass last fall and start running again.  For the last 10 years or so, I would take it up again, drop it for various reasons (laziness being the main one).  My weight ballooned up due to my affinity for alcohol and food with no significant exercise. 

So anyways, been running for about 4 months now.  My goal for the new year is to log 1000 miles.  I'm currently averaging between 20-25 miles a week going 5 days a week.  Would like to get into shape to run a 10 mile race in April.  Figured I would start a thread to provide encouragement and motivation for any runners out there and to discuss any topics related to running.  Anyone else have any goals for the year?

Lose ten pounds, give or take, and keep it off.

I jog on the beach. It's better for the joints, I think. 

Thinking of working in sprints in addition to jogging, or switching to sprints entirely. But not entirely sure how to pull that off.

7 hours ago, Bevo in VA said:

So after following the Body transformation thread for quite some time, I decided it was time to get off my ass last fall and start running again.  For the last 10 years or so, I would take it up again, drop it for various reasons (laziness being the main one).  My weight ballooned up due to my affinity for alcohol and food with no significant exercise. 

So anyways, been running for about 4 months now.  My goal for the new year is to log 1000 miles.  I'm currently averaging between 20-25 miles a week going 5 days a week.  Would like to get into shape to run a 10 mile race in April.  Figured I would start a thread to provide encouragement and motivation for any runners out there and to discuss any topics related to running.  Anyone else have any goals for the year?

have you ever done a marathon?  that might be a goal to consider.  a half marathon would be very similar to the 10-mile race you're looking for. 

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Lose ten pounds, give or take, and keep it off.

I jog on the beach. It's better for the joints, I think. 

Thinking of working in sprints in addition to jogging, or switching to sprints entirely. But not entirely sure how to pull that off.

Check out Hal Higdon's programs if you haven't already.  Great for race prep, but also nice if you just want some variety in your routine while maintaining a consistent program.  I'm not training for anything in particular right now (which is why I need to lose about 15 lbs and I'm slower than I've been in 10 years), but I still mix in tempo runs, hill work and intervals.  I've found that the variety helps a ton mentally and keeps me at a respectable pace even though I'm only running 3-4 times/week.

https://www.halhigdon.com

14 hours ago, Bevo in VA said:

I was in pretty much the same boat. Last September my bathroom scale spoke to me and said "Damn, boy you're a fat-ass".   Started walking then running.   I completely second the  recommendation on the Hal Higdon (free) training programs.  I did two marathons using those a decade and a half ago, and am using one now for my training

Goals: Austin Half Marathon   (Feb 17th),    Paris Half Marathon (Mar 10th) 

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

10 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

have you ever done a marathon?  that might be a goal to consider.  a half marathon would be very similar to the 10-mile race you're looking for. 

Never done a marathon.  For that matter I've never really had the desire to do one (assuming I could even get in shape to run one!).  Could probably do a half marathon if I set my mind to it.

3 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I was in pretty much the same boat. Last September my bathroom scale spoke to me and said "Damn, boy you're a fat-ass".   Started walking then running.   I completely second the  recommendation on the Hal Higdon (free) training programs.  I did two marathons using those a decade and a half ago, and am using one now for my training

Goals: Austin Half Marathon   (Feb 17th),    Paris Half Marathon (Mar 10th) 

I think the Paris half marathon would be pretty cool.  The 10 miler I am training for goes from Mt Vernon (George Washington's house - not small East Texas town) up to Old Town Alexandria along the Potomac.  It slightly downhill for the first two miles then relatively flat for the rest of the race.  One hill with about a mile to go.  Of course I'm not setting any speed records on any of my runs.

• 4 months later...

Bump because this seems like the running thread for this site.

I've been running 2x a week for about 9 years now.  I run the same 6.5 mile loop a lunch every Monday and Wednesday with a group of guys.  Having turned 40 this year, I am thinking about training to "run my age" on a 10k before I turn 41(next April).  We currently run ~7:30 pace on our bi weekly runs, so by my math I need to shave approx 1 min/mile from that time.  Obviously I'm going to have to mix in some tempo runs and track work to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good program and or track work calculator that will tell me what pace I need to be keeping on my track intervals to work toward that goal.

Gracias

• 2 weeks later...

Ran half marathon in Tyler in 2010.  Or should I say completed.  I was doing well until about mile 10, my field of vision narrowed, did run/walk combo to finish. Pretty shade trees over the brick roads.  Now I weigh less than then.  Have run just three times, but am feeling it.  I plan to run at least a 5k.in Austin area the week before Christmas if possible.  My average mile time is only a little more than one minute slower for a 7.8. Mile run here in Alaska than my average time for the half 9 years ago.  I will have to run indoors starting in November,  but that is easy enough.  Run through the school about 100 times.  I want to beat that average mile time.  

• 2 months later...

I have a Boston finish and marathon PR of 2:51. 10k PR of 36:26, Half Marathon 1:17. The last couple years have mainly been focused on ultramarathon (several 50ks, 3x50-mile, 1x 100k). Love hearing about people getting out and getting healthy. Keep it up, y'all! 

Edited by Eggo
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...

Checking in. I let myself get about 15 pounds overweight, so decided to start running and dieting in June of this year. Started running 1-2 miles a day at a 9:15 pace. Flash forward, have lost 17 pounds and just finished an 8 mile run at a 7:38 pace. Can’t describe how much better I feel. Going to try to work up to a half marathon at some point, thought it will be hard to stay consistent as it starts getting colder here in NYC.

That's awesome!  8 miles isnt far from a half marathon at all!  Nice work!

So, years ago I was a pretty active partcipant in this thread, going back to the old site... A couple back surgeries and genreal oldness have slowed me down.  I still run some out of convenience during work travel but at home I focus more on strenghth and classes with the soccer moms to stay in shape.  I get running injuries a lot more often than I used to.

Some of you may remember I used to brag about my running kid in this thread on the old site... He used to get out of the baby jogger at age 3 and kncok out a 1/4 mile sometimes on the trail or a lap around the track.  At 6 he was doing 5k's and hanging with the older kids...  He's got that ability to enjoy suffering.  He runs til it hurts and keeps going,.  Fast forward to a new site, a new username, and a few years... He just finished his first season of real-coached, mileage-building, cross country.  Made varsity as a freshman and knocked over a minute off his 5k time and 30 seconds off his middle school mile time.  Yesterday he won his age group and was 25th overall at the Run For The Water in Austin.  Proud Dad moment!  

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Started running a week ago.  Well, "running."  I have a Couch to 5K app.  Been doing it everyday.  It's a mental thing. Getting myself out the door and running is a task, but once I'm doing it, I enjoy it.  So far it's running 60 seconds, walking 90, but it's more than I've ever done as an adult.  

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Holy shit, this thread only has 19 posts?  Bunch of fats at Surly.

I'm not a long distance runner, but I want to work towards a half marathon by fall.  Been using Nike running app and it works for some reason.  

Is anyone's first 2 miles the hardest?  Like it feels easier after the 2 mile mark, just have to get over that hump.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not a long distance runner, but I want to work towards a half marathon by fall.  Been using Nike running app and it works for some reason.  

Is anyone's first 2 miles the hardest?  Like it feels easier after the 2 mile mark, just have to get over that hump.

yes, most definitely. I thought at some point over the years that might change for me... it has not. Even running my marathons (2... never again)... first two miles I'm questioning WTH I'm doing amongst these people who seem to have no care in the world

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yes, most definitely. I thought at some point over the years that might change for me... it has not. Even running my marathons (2... never again)... first two miles I'm questioning WTH I'm doing amongst these people who seem to have no care in the world

So.  That’s what’s been happening.  Old me would quit after a mile because “holy shit if you’re tired now you won’t make 4”.   But I ran yesterday and I wanted to just keep going and going faster 

Was supposed to run a half a couple of weeks ago, but had COVID. Not a bad case at all, but couldn’t have run the race.

Tried to start running again this week. I feel ok, but my pace is off about 2 minutes/mile. Even if I feel like I’m running hard, I can’t get going any faster. 

Hoping I can just work through this in the next few weeks.

21 hours ago, closetohumping said:

The party is on this thread:

Still not much activity...