Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread

Mole

12 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Man this topic makes me feel old. I remember applying to undergrad when VY was playing. Rocket Ismael was my first favorite Cowboy when I could actually understand football. Now they are in museums

Wait till theystart dying...

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

VY aside, Ismail not being in there yet is just amazing.  He’s 50 and for the whole time I was in college he was the face of those ND teams that won a NC in 1988 (with Tim Brown) and should have in 1990. I remember that clipping call on his Orange Bowl TD being played on Sportscenter 10,000 times.  

This was my take. It's silly that VY wasn't in yet, but it's been twice as long since Ismail played.

Love this guy.

If I were picking a team from only Longhorns that I've seen, Vince took Earl's place as first pick for me. I was in Earl's class at Texas, so I have a deep attachment to him and his greatness as a person.

VY and Earl on the same team would have been an unmatched duo.

Congrats, VY. Keep enjoying life and representing the University.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

VY aside, Ismail not being in there yet is just amazing.  He’s 50 and for the whole time I was in college he was the face of those ND teams that won a NC in 1988 (with Tim Brown) and should have in 1990. I remember that clipping call on his Orange Bowl TD being played on Sportscenter 10,000 times.  

It *WAS* clipping, and it was right in the point of the play.

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

The best I’ve ever seen 

You and Pete Carroll. Everyone in the CFB universe knew that the only chance USC had to win was to convert that 4th down. With the lead late in the 4th quarter and the chance to pin us deep, the coach of the greatest football team ever was rightly afraid of VY.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It *WAS* clipping, and it was right in the point of the play.

Yeah, it was a good call, but it doesn't change the fact that the return itself by Ismail was ridiculous. It's true that he probably wouldn't have scored without that, but his balance, acceleration, and speed were amazing on that return.

• Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Love this guy.

If I were picking a team from only Longhorns that I've seen, Vince took Earl's place as first pick for me. I was in Earl's class at Texas, so I have a deep attachment to him and his greatness as a person.

VY and Earl on the same team would have been an unmatched duo.

Congrats, VY. Keep enjoying life and representing the University.

Good lord, VY and Earl on the same team would lead to a whole bunch of priapism.  I suspect there may be several fatal cases.  I'm not sure I'm ready to die, so probably its for the best this didn't happen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Good lord, VY and Earl on the same team would lead to a whole bunch of priapism.  I suspect there may be several fatal cases.  I'm not sure I'm ready to die, so probably its for the best this didn't happen.

Wasn't Ramonce Taylor and Jamaal Charles enough?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Did you ever see Earl back in 2005?  He could barely walk even back then. I’m not sure you’d want Vince handing off to him, except maybe in garbage time.

• Haha 1

delivering one of the greatest individual game performances in college football history

VY til I die, motherfuckers.

This is great news, though it does kinda grate on me the way so many seem to minimize his and his teammates' incredible 1 1/2 season run by emphasizing his 2006 Rose Bowl performance ... 

That team, with that GOAT of a QB, was a fucking juggernaut for about 20 games. Just fucking unstoppable. Maybe the best college football team of all time.

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Opposing defenses would have to be removed from the field using acetone and a spatula.

According to Wikipedia, here is the criteria:

The National Football Foundation outlines specific criteria that may be used for evaluating a possible candidate for induction into the Hall of Fame.[17]

A player must have received major first team All-America recognition.
A player becomes eligible for consideration 10 years after his last year of intercollegiate football played.
Football achievements are considered first, but the post-football record as a citizen is also weighed.
Players must have played their last year of intercollegiate football within the last 50 years.
The nominee must have ended his professional athletic career prior to the time of the nomination.
Coaches must have at least 10 years of head coaching experience, coached 100 games, and had at least a .600 winning percentage.[18]

Considering his comeback attempt in Canada, I'm not sure when he became eligible for induction. Rocket's been eligible for about 15 years, but it looks like the rules change from time to time, so it's unclear.

Edited by Mole

1 minute ago, HundredWaters said:

Suck my dick you vince young fuckboy. VY was a legend here, has no one to blame for his NFL failure. Bitch. 

I used to blame 100% VY.

It wasn't until the Rams' turnaround that I changed to about 80-20 towards Fisher just being a vindictive control freak.

Not gonna argue the immaturity and VY's role in it, but that "bust" was a two-time pro-bowler, a rookie of the year, won 2/3rd of his starts with the record losing coach, led a historic mid-season turnaround in 2009 (0-6 to playoff contender), and was benched while leading the NFL in passer rating in 2010. I get the ceiling looked like the NFL's Michael Jordan, but calling him a bust is a huge stretch. Despite all the drama and the perception of his success (partly egged on by his sociopath coach), he had quite a bit of NFL success. He also led one of the best game-winning drives I've ever seen. This was the team that started 0-6 with him on the bench.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

JFC you're a moron. Little bitch. Adios.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I used to blame 100% VY.

It wasn't until the Rams' turnaround that I changed to about 80-20 towards Fisher just being a vindictive control freak.

Yes, Fisher made him insubordinate, eat his way out of the league, become a poor leader...etc

VY is my fav college player of all time.  But he was a fuck up in the NFL and is nothing more than an after-thought who I worry for. Seems prime to be a deadbeat broke legend in 5 years based on his past decisions. 

Edited by HundredWaters
  • Fuck You 4

Just now, HundredWaters said:

Yes, Fisher made him insubordinate, eat his way out of the league, become a poor leader...etc

VY is my fav college player of all time.  But he was a fuck up in the NFL and is nothing more than an after-thought who I worry for. Seems prime to be a deadbeat broke legend in 5 years. 

Bullshit, aggy. You don't know shit about VY if you think he ate his way out of the league or wasn't a leader. Try harder, asshole.

Just now, wood said:

Bullshit, aggy. You don't know shit about VY if you think he ate his way out of the league or wasn't a leader. Try harder, asshole.

Ive been posting on Shaggy about this subject for over 5 years you dipshit. I love my horns, but when I see defenders of VY acting like aggy Johnny Football apologist, it pisses me off because you fuckers will suck off VY just like Aggy did tom Johnny. Get a grip you motherfucking piece of shit loser. 

• Fuck You 8

Most VY defenders I've seen on here make their case for what he did on the field, not trying to excuse his missteps off of it.

The potential as a play maker was off the charts.  Fisher lacked the self confidence to lead such a player.

Edited by slorch

Just now, HundredWaters said:

Ive been posting on Shaggy about this subject for over 5 years you dipshit. I love my horns, but when I see defenders of VY acting like aggy Johnny Football apologist, it pisses me off because you fuckers will suck off VY just like Aggy did tom Johnny. Get a grip you motherfucking piece of shit loser. 

Jesus, lol. Dude went 30-17 with a career .500 coach that hated him and set him up for failure in an offense that literally could not have possibly been worse for him ... and he's a bust?

Ya, ok. :jlaw:

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Jesus, lol. Dude went 30-17 with a career .500 coach that hated him and set him up for failure in an offense that literally could not have possibly been worse for him ... and he's a bust?

Ya, ok. :jlaw:

But he got many chances after the fuckhead Fisher. What's the excuse there??? He couldn't cut it and wasn't a good enough passer in the NFL. How the fuck can you argue that? You act like he had no opportunities after Fisher you fucking idiot. 

Edited by HundredWaters
  • Fuck You 8

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Don't let that faget derail a thread honoring the great VY.

Congrats, VInce.  Best cfb QB ever. 

You're right, of course.

No matter how idiotic his view of the situation might be, it belongs in some other thread. But in this one?  Naw. Fuck that shit.

QB Rating in the first four years in which he received significant playing time (leaving out 2008 when he had about a game's worth of passes)

Clearly, VY was lazy, not putting in the work, and not improving.

In those 4 seasons, the Titans were historically bad without him and about had one of the better records in the NFL with him. Chris Johnson was significantly better with VY on the field. His 2000 yard season doesn't happen without VY in the backfield as well. 

The perception was that the Titans had a great defense, but the truth is they only had a good defense in 2008, when Fisher paired a championship caliber defense with Kerry Collins. The result was a successful regular season and an early playoff loss. During the years where VY received significant playing time, the Titan defense was towards the bottom of the NFL (bottom 2 in two seasons and middle of the pack in two seasons). Yet the Titans continued to win with him and lose without him. Weird.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I apologize for being drawn offsides as well. VY is on the Mount Rushmore of college football players. His NFL career was confusing with a disappointing ending, but I think the past few years have vindicated the victory begins and ends with VY crowd. NFL success is so dependent upon the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching Clemson blow out Alabama got me thinking about something g closer to the actual point of this thread. I think we undersell how great USC actually was. Until that night, they might actually have been the greatest team of all time. Think about all of the NFL talent not named VY that Texas had. It was a scary team without him. In normal years they might have competed for a championship. Add an unfair and virtually unstoppable QB and Texas still had to pull out a lot of magic to win. 

How many teams could have hung with that Texas team?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• blacklab changed the title to Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread