Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

On 3/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I'm back from Tokyo.  Ran the Tokyo Marathon on Sunday.  It was cold and rainy, but I did PR.  Finally went sub 3:35.  Flat, fast course.  Despite a few out and backs, I liked it.

Definitely feel like sub-3:30 is within reach.  To qualify for Boston, I'd need to go sub-3:25.  That may be out of reach.  But who knows. 

I trained hard to run faster for this marathon and it paid off.  Did a lot more speed work than I had before.  From mile 11 to mile 22, my splits were between 7:34 to 7:55 per mile.  I was cookin' for me.  But I know there's still room for improvement.  

I'd love to get into London or Berlin next year and go all out.

I watched the race on tv and it looked brutal out there, but it seemed the Japanese still had a great showing of support for the runners.

39 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I understand mileage increases during training before a race, but for the "offseason", how many miles is one running per week?

(I'm fully aware some of you are insane and don't have an offseason)

I'm keeping a baseline of 28 / week (run 4x a week) until training starts again in May. That's basically two workout days (short workout and long workout) and two easy days.

Edited by UrbanAchiever

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I understand mileage increases during training before a race, but for the "offseason", how many miles is one running per week?

(I'm fully aware some of you are insane and don't have an offseason)

I would say the mileage would depend on your goals for whatever races you are planning in the next year.  If you want to do well at a marathon distance I would suggest keeping the mileage up, but just run easy (maybe 95% of all the miles would be easy), throw in some strides or hill repeats if you want.  When I was faster I would target 2/3 races usually in the months of December through April.  After those races were over I would rest for a couple of weeks and then run easy from May until the end of September.  I would run 6-7 days per week, mostly 7, but keep all my miles easy.  During a marathon cycle (14-16 weeks) I would average upper 70s, peaking at 85-90 for about 2-3 weeks.  My easy weekly mileage I would keep at 60-65 year round.  I really think that helped me stay injury free and build stamina.

I believe (and I could be wrong), but keeping your mileage during the off season within say 10-20 miles per week year round will reap tremendous benefits.  I've know quite a few runners that run 30 miles per week 10 months out of the year then increase their mileage for a marathon and then fail to achieve their goal time.  You won't see a benefit by increasing your mileage for 2 months out of the year, just my thoughts though.

To keep from burnout, just run easy and enjoy being outdoors.  If you are just running for fun then do that and don't worry about mileage.  

My goal is to run a few halfs and then more importantly be healthy and run another full. I feel like I might increased the mileage too much too fast once the fall rolls around. 

I think if can maintain a 20 mile per week baseline then the increase won’t be so bad 

My training is all fucked up but I keep getting faster. I am doing Orangetheory 5 days a week and typically running around 3-4 miles per class and then doing one long run on Saturday. I am up to 9 miles and sustaining a 7:19 pace without much effort. At this point I feel ready for my half at end of April and probably won’t do a longer run than 11 miles. 

• 3 weeks later...
My goal is to run a few halfs and then more importantly be healthy and run another full. I feel like I might increased the mileage too much too fast once the fall rolls around. 
I think if can maintain a 20 mile per week baseline then the increase won’t be so bad 

I think 20mpw is perfect. Any less than that won’t have your body ready for the pounding of increased mileage. Any any more than that and it becomes a real chore.

I’d break that 20 up into 6 days of running. Three 2 mile runs (easy). Two 4 mile runs (these can be a little faster, but still keep them endurance paces). And one 6 mile run (in between pace of other 2 runs).

"heavy hearts"?   Ok.

It is with very heavy hearts that we announce that the Cap10K has been canceled. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience & disappointment. We're disappointed too, but nothing is more important than the safety of our thousands of runners & volunteers along the course.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:33 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm looking for another 10K in the area and I saw the Longhorn Run is next weekend. Is that a good race?

I'm doing the 5K. I ran it 3 years ago, but they've modified the course since then. It still goes around campus. The 10K follows the same course but goes up and back down through Hyde Park. I remember it being pretty flat. 

The only thing that was kind of a mess was the start. It seemed fairly informal, like a campus fun run but with Nike as the sponsor. It's certainly not made to accommodate a large crowd, because there's not a lot of room for runners to line up. And I fully expect it to be the largest crowd ever given the cancellation of the Cap 10K. The one thing that does help is that the 10K runners go first, and the 5K runners are off 15 minutes later. That will help with crowd control.

The biggest upside is the Nike tech shirt that you get. To date, it's the best fitting tech shirt I've gotten in a race. 

• Like 1

Just did the Chickamauga Chase 15k this morning and finished 17th overall and top 3  in my age bracket with a time of 1:06. Pretty happy considering it’s full of rolling hills and beat people that were sponsored and looking serious. My big ass was out there in a Walmart running shirt blasting through as I was sweating out 6 beers and a pizza last night. 

• Like 4

Congrats Clintonaldo!!  Great time!!!  

Last marathon coming up in a few hours.  No time goal.  Just finish and move on.  I’m done with long distance for the foreseeable future.  I just haven’t had fun with it for a few years.  No regrets, I had a great run at marathons. I think I could have beaten my current PR by about 2 minutes, but that was interrupted with a triathlon and my dad turning 70.   I still really enjoying running but will race shorter distances and mix it up with some trail races or even off the wall races.  I got into good shape this go around  I finally beat my time up this steep hill and was able to log some fast miles around town, but mentally I’m spent   No excitement for towing the line these days  

With the Texas heat around the corner time to cut my mileage back and focus getting faster on the bike. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

Last marathon coming up in a few hours.  No time goal.  Just finish and move on.  I’m done with long distance for the foreseeable future.  I just haven’t had fun with it for a few years.  No regrets, I had a great run at marathons. I think I could have beaten my current PR by about 2 minutes, but that was interrupted with a triathlon and my dad turning 70.   I still really enjoying running but will race shorter distances and mix it up with some trail races or even off the wall races.  I got into good shape this go around  I finally beat my time up this steep hill and was able to log some fast miles around town, but mentally I’m spent   No excitement for towing the line these days  

With the Texas heat around the corner time to cut my mileage back and focus getting faster on the bike. 

Do well man. I'm tracking ya

Good luck. Let me know how you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

I'm sad to hear that. But I understand - there's nothing more miserable than slogging through long runs when you can't find enjoyment in it. Look forward to following you in other endeavors - trail runs, tris, whatever. Good luck today! 

Ran Boston.  Weather was a little unpredictable, but we ended up with a nice stretch where there was no rain.  It was a little humid and a little warm, but could have been a lot worse.   My plan was to go for 2:45 regardless and was on pace till the hills.  For the hills, I was going to not fight them and hope I still had legs to close the last 5.   Turned out I did not.   Salvaged a 2:49 without dying too much.  Cardio wise, it felt great, but the legs just did not want to turn over fast.  I'm pretty happy overall!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, ToY said:

Ran Boston.  Weather was a little unpredictable, but we ended up with a nice stretch where there was no rain.  It was a little humid and a little warm, but could have been a lot worse.   My plan was to go for 2:45 regardless and was on pace till the hills.  For the hills, I was going to not fight them and hope I still had legs to close the last 5.   Turned out I did not.   Salvaged a 2:49 without dying too much.  Cardio wise, it felt great, but the legs just did not want to turn over fast.  I'm pretty happy overall!

I know it was just a half today for me but it is the first time I have ever had heavy legs. I was running 6:40 miles until mile 11 and all of the sudden I was wearing concrete. I had plenty of energy and heart rate was fine. Just no kick. 

On 4/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, ToY said:

Excellent job, man!! I heard some recaps, and weather seemed to be more problematic than you described ... at least for the runners in my group. I heard it rained all morning and after it tapered off, it left the air too warm and heavy. Getting under 3:00 in the conditions is very impressive. You should revel in that.  

This is awesome that we have a thread like this.   I did 4sprints a few years ago in FL and I missed them.  After doing the BikeMS ride in March I signed up for a sprint here in June in Hermosa.  Will be my first time ever swimming in a wet suit. Florida was just warm gulf water.  Been back in the pool a month still struggling like a mofo.  But of all the things ive done in this world competively, football track golf, surfing bodybuilding etc.  Swimming has been the one thing to completely humble me and beat me into submission Just got out of the pool 

Guess no posters were involved in Woodlands IronMan then?

Couple friend of friends did it, and a colleague. His 2nd ever IronMan he said his mentality is “this isn’t a race, just the workout I’m doing today, and it’s going to take all day.” Hard to imagine that grind.

The pool has been empty this week. Not that I’m complaining.

Well, looks like my half on Saturday is going to be in a damn downpour and I welcome the challenge. I haven’t ran in the rain much but I feel like I run faster and have to be sharper mentally. Hopefully it will fuck with the other runners heads. The only thing I don’t like is potentially messing up muh new running shoes. 

Came in 10th in a half marathon in the fucking rain and even ran and extra 1.4 miles due to officer Barbrady not directing us and got back on course at mile 2 after running 3.4 miles and dropped the hammer. 

Loaded up the wife and dogs and just got to Cape San Blas Fl and getting right.

I am going to take a few months off and heal as today was a beating. 

• Like 1

Congrats on 10th place!!!! Hope those bone spurs heal, I've never had to deal with them.

My Boston Marathon - went exactly as I planned.  I ran a little faster than through the first half, just staying with the thousands of other runners.  I high-fived a ton of kids, soaked in Wellesley College girls, stopped and gave my niece a hug at mile 14, and felt strong through the Newton hills.  I stopped on Heartbreak Hill and finally had a couple of beers (plastic cup size, not full size cans) with the BU kids.  Got going again and just had fun running it in.  I saw my wife and kids on Bolyston, while I was stopping to give them all a hug, I was waived off and told to finish strong.  So that's it, no more Boston, no more marathons.

I bought a road bike and am waiting for that sucker to come in.  I'm going to continue to run and bike, have fun and maybe just maybe get little faster in each one.  I'm trying something new with my running this summer, we'll see what that brings or doesn't.  Might help if I were to put down a cookie or two or three.

• Like 4

Congrats on 10th place!!!! Hope those bone spurs heal, I've never had to deal with them.

My Boston Marathon - went exactly as I planned.  I ran a little faster than through the first half, just staying with the thousands of other runners.  I high-fived a ton of kids, soaked in Wellesley College girls, stopped and gave my niece a hug at mile 14, and felt strong through the Newton hills.  I stopped on Heartbreak Hill and finally had a couple of beers (plastic cup size, not full size cans) with the BU kids.  Got going again and just had fun running it in.  I saw my wife and kids on Bolyston, while I was stopping to give them all a hug, I was waived off and told to finish strong.  So that's it, no more Boston, no more marathons.
I bought a road bike and am waiting for that sucker to come in.  I'm going to continue to run and bike, have fun and maybe just maybe get little faster in each one.  I'm trying something new with my running this summer, we'll see what that brings or doesn't.  Might help if I were to put down a cookie or two or three.

That’s awesome

On 5/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, hrmaddie said:

What a way to retire from marathons. Congrats on your storied tenure as a marathoner. I've really enjoyed following you through the years, and I've learned a lot about my own regimens and how to get faster because of you. I hope you'll continue to give advice / feedback and keep us updated on your future endeavors.  

I am really fighting the urge to do the Ironman 70.3 next year in Chattanooga after watching several people I know do it last Sunday.I really don’t want to buy a $2,500 bike and all of that shit but I cannot shake the feeling of wanting to challenge myself as half’s are starting to get boring and I want to progress and push myself. Am I an idiot?

13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I am really fighting the urge to do the Ironman 70.3 next year in Chattanooga after watching several people I know do it last Sunday.I really don’t want to buy a $2,500 bike and all of that shit but I cannot shake the feeling of wanting to challenge myself as half’s are starting to get boring and I want to progress and push myself. Am I an idiot?

IMO you don't need a $2,500 bike if your goal is to just to finish a half Ironman. You can get a serviceable one that will perform well for half that or less. If you decide to do it, spend a lot of the time in open water training. There are a lot of elements to open water swimming that can't be replicated in a pool (mainly the mental side of things).   

IMO you don't need a $2,500 bike if your goal is to just to finish a half Ironman. You can get a serviceable one that will perform well for half that or less. If you decide to do it, spend a lot of the time in open water training. There are a lot of elements to open water swimming that can't be replicated in a pool (mainly the mental side of things).   

That’s exactly what the guy who did it said this morning about the swim. I found a club here that does triathlons and Ironman’s so I may join that also.

Looking at all of the triathlons around here it wouldn’t bother me as much now spending that much money on a bike. I’m sure I will talk myself into this later in the summer. I plan on getting some good drinking on the next few months while I rest. I do have a half in September so I will pick up training again around middle July.

• Like 1

Not an idiot. Triathlon is fun. I really like the diversity of the training and being able to focus on one of 3 sports for blocks at a time.

As said you don’t need to spend that much on a bike if you don’t want to.

On the Tri note, anyone else doing CapTex on Monday?

3 hours ago, jet black said:

Not an idiot. Triathlon is fun. I really like the diversity of the training and being able to focus on one of 3 sports for blocks at a time.

As said you don’t need to spend that much on a bike if you don’t want to.

On the Tri note, anyone else doing CapTex on Monday?

What is a solid recommendation on a good tri bike? I have the running down and the swimming won’t bother me. The 2 people that just did it told me the bike took the most out of them on the Ironman70.3. 

I’d go for an older cervelo P2 or P3, or a felt b16 or something like that. Keep an eye on the slowtwitch classifieds. Here’s a couple 56cm options, not sure what size you need. 56 is generally good for people around 6’.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/Garage_Sale_-_56cm_Felt_B16_Tri_Bike_/_Saddles_/Seatposts_And_More_P6882606/?page=unread#unread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/FS%3A_2016_Felt_IA_14_and_2011_Cervelo_P3_P6939454/?page=unread#unread

If you can spare the cash (~ $250) get pre-fitted to a bike before you purchase.  It can save you a lot of hassle, buying the wrong size bike or having pain while riding an ill-sized bike.  My first tri bike I bought was too big and I could never get comfortable.  Finally after paying for multiple fittings I found someone that gave me a proper fit.  Not sure where you live, but if you look here maybe one of these fitters is within driving distance.  https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/ 

After the fitting the fitter should tell what size bikes will work.  If you decide to go this route make sure the fitter knows up front you would like the fit coordinates and a list of bikes that will work best and not just what they sell.  I've gone through the pain of getting fit only for the fitter to recommend two bikes that they sell in the shop, neither which I really wanted.  I ended up paying another fitter $50 to look at my coordinates and give me a list of some bikes. 

Signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon in October.   Will be my first full in five years, and my first time training through a Texas summer.   I've been running in the mornings this year, and I'm planning to run commute to the office late in the cycle when I get up to 8-10 mile wednesday runs.  Any other tips from you seasoned veterans on how to avoid dying in August? 

1 hour ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon in October.   Will be my first full in five years, and my first time training through a Texas summer.   I've been running in the mornings this year, and I'm planning to run commute to the office late in the cycle when I get up to 8-10 mile wednesday runs.  Any other tips from you seasoned veterans on how to avoid dying in August? 

With MCM, your most strenuous weeks won't be until late September / early October depending on how you prefer to train. At that point, the early morning temps tend to get below 70 so you have that going for you. In the summer, I'm outdoors two to three times a week and then on a treadmill for easy days. Do some climate-controlled runs if you can especially if it's not a quality workout day. Pop some salt tabs during your outdoor long runs, and start super early.

Just don't wear yourself out and get mentally exhausted come August.  You'll start to despise your training and resent signing up for an early fall marathon, and it may affect your mentality leading up to the race. Also, don't focus too much on hitting the marathon goal pace. Just focus on the quality of the workouts.

It’s a sufferfest during the summer. I’m done before the sun rises. I wear a singlet, really short shorts and a headband. I look like I belong in the 70s but it helps. I still have to wring my clothes out when I get home. Summer sucks. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time in ten years in Denton, I felt a little threatened on my run this morning.  I run stupid early all year round.  I live in the nice part of Denton, but have seen things over the years, nothing crazy.  About once a year I see a drunk stumbling around trying to find their way home.  I given them gloves and hats during the winter so they can make it home and not freeze.  Saw a college guy during football season completely wasted at 4:30am.  Weirdest thing I've seen was some guy late teens or early twenties knocked out cold in the park with his pants pulled down.  Someone did a number on him and left him on the trail.  I flagged someone down on the street to call the police.  

This morning I'm running down the street past the orthodontist office and I noticed a guy just standing next to the sign.  I figured some teenager out all night.  He yells at me "Hey man can I run with chu".  I ignored him and kept running.  Then I start hearing footsteps and I think great this fucker probably wants money, which I never carry when running.  The only thing valuable on me is the watch.  I don't carry a phone, ipod, keys, nothing.  I can hear his pace pickup so I took off.  I made a quick decision to not run to the CVS, but to run through over to the next neighborhood with lots of small hills.  I figured no way he is going to keep.  He'll crap out on the first hill, well he crapped out sooner than that. 

I'm still not sure what to make of it, probably wanted money, which I didn't have, but lately there have been some runners that have reported being followed or mugged (all in the college area of town).  One woman in Corinth (town about 5 - 6 miles from my house) was assaulted, fortunately not sexually, she started screaming and people came out of their house.  That was this past fall.  I have a run for tomorrow morning not sure if I'm going to go that direction, but I probably will just maybe on the other side of the street.  Might start carrying a taser or spray with me, don't want to.  

I reported the incident to the police, just a simple on-line report.  I usually see one or two police when running early, not this morning though.  

dude... crazies are my only concern when i run. I rarely run on (sidewalks) of multi-lane big streets, where you find the crazies. i see a few homeless near the downtown areas, but they're never awake at 5am 6am. i keep saying I'm going to carry a spray with me, but it was for the chance of running into a dog.

i've been nursing a mild calf strain for three weeks. this is the first week where I'm running a mile at a time. no lingering effects, so thats a postive. It totally dashed my 5k and my half-marathon which was to be last week. Good excuse to get a half marathon in the fall and an early spring marathon.

My training is all fucked up but I keep getting faster. I am doing Orangetheory 5 days a week and typically running around 3-4 miles per class and then doing one long run on Saturday. I am up to 9 miles and sustaining a 7:19 pace without much effort. At this point I feel ready for my half at end of April and probably won’t do a longer run than 11 miles. 

So, I’m using Orangetheory as a speed work alternative. Kind of experimenting. I’m trying to run a sub 5 mile on my 45th birthday in August. I do time trials every year. It seems to be working on some of the shorter distances. I just ran a 2:15 in the 800, and a 56 in the quarter. The treadmill is less rough on my old legs, but, obviously doesn’t correlate directly to trackwork. I’m doing orange theory a couple days a week, a track day, and an endurance day.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, jet black said:

Thanks bud! Nice to have a good result after a frustrating spring!

Man, you crushed that course. Well done, and a hearty congrats!! It looks like that Buffalo Springs IM is attracting some top flight talent making your results all the more impressive. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread