Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

33 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

What's on the wish list for '22 and '23? Godspeed for a quick and full recovery.

London in 2022.  i was supposed to run that in April but COVID.  and Chicago in 2023.  i got into Chicago for 2020 but was gonna defer until 2021.  but now i have the option of 2021, 2022, or 2023.  i'd like to do that in 2023.  i'm not going to be running for a PR if my back doesn't get better.  but i do need to be in good enough shape to train for it.

11 minutes ago, Red Six said:

I've noticed they're playing the "we're really going to happen... no, really, we are... we promise" line pretty hard lately. I just can't see it happening, though. I read some guidance for administering races in the time of covid, and there's no way you could meet those guidelines with several thousand people.

I'm one of those people who got off my fat ass during covid (and after a friend in his late 30s dropped dead during the physical act of love), did Couch to 5k during June and July, and is now running 10ks. I set my sights on 3M as a doable achievement, but I'm hesitant to register. I'm not going to do it virtual, and I'm not sure that once the world starts turning full-speed I can get back to half-marathon fitness in a year.

It does look like there are smaller, <100 person, long-distance (13.1 and 26.2) races running in nearby counties (there's one in Spicewood in about 6 weeks). There are also some good trail races running. I just may have to shoot for one of those.

You could do the Austin 1/2 marathon in February. They're promising full refunds if it gets cancelled.

10 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

You could do the Austin 1/2 marathon in February. They're promising full refunds if it gets cancelled.

They're like 3M -- deferrals only, no refund on entry fee.

It's not really about the money. It's about working toward a goal, then significantly altering the goal.

I know I'll have the time and wherewithal to follow through this year. I don't know if, after the dropoff that will likely happen (work spinning back up, dropping down in fitness during the summer), I can rev it back up again next fall.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that I could make running 20 miles a week a regular part of my life. It just would require a huge shift in the way I and my family operate.

55 minutes ago, Red Six said:

They're like 3M -- deferrals only, no refund on entry fee.

It's not really about the money. It's about working toward a goal, then significantly altering the goal.

I know I'll have the time and wherewithal to follow through this year. I don't know if, after the dropoff that will likely happen (work spinning back up, dropping down in fitness during the summer), I can rev it back up again next fall.

On the other hand, there is the possibility that I could make running 20 miles a week a regular part of my life. It just would require a huge shift in the way I and my family operate.

Oh you're right, it is deferrals only. I must have read the site wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BCS Marathon / Half Marathon had been the last big race in Texas still pushing hard to hold a race this year.  The Covid-19 precautions were already extreme with a socially distanced rolling starts 10 minutes apart starting at 6:30am, masks required for the first 1/2 mile, no spectators at the start or finish, no expo, no after event, etc.

Sadly they sent an email out today that they have been shutdown.  It sounds like it wasn't the city or county that finally killed the race, it was the insurance requirement of medical personnel being on hand and the lack of any medical personnel being able to commit support the race due to Covid-19. 

It doesn't need to be said, but I hate 2020.

Galveston 70.3 still going? 

17 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The BCS Marathon / Half Marathon had been the last big race in Texas still pushing hard to hold a race this year.  The Covid-19 precautions were already extreme with a socially distanced rolling starts 10 minutes apart starting at 6:30am, masks required for the first 1/2 mile, no spectators at the start or finish, no expo, no after event, etc.

Sadly they sent an email out today that they have been shutdown.  It sounds like it wasn't the city or county that finally killed the race, it was the insurance requirement of medical personnel being on hand and the lack of any medical personnel being able to commit support the race due to Covid-19. 

It doesn't need to be said, but I hate 2020.

Isn’t Galveston 70.3 still going ?

The Austin Marathon is only going to be a 1/2 this year and it's getting moved to April.

During our latest meeting with the City of Austin, the collaborative decision was made to move the Austin Marathon to the alternative date of April 25, 2021, and modify the event to be a half marathon, 5K, and 1- mile run. This date was chosen with the confidence of Austin Public Health that we could coordinate and plan an in person event.

While we are disappointed to not be able to celebrate our 30th Anniversary in 2021 as originally planned, we still have a great event in the works for April. We will be extending our 30th Anniversary celebrations through 2022 so that we can properly include our full 26.2 distance.

Participants have been emailed with their options to transfer to the new event date or activate their option for free deferral to 2022, 2023, or 2024. If you did not receive an email and it is not in your junk folder, please email us and we will have the form resent to you.

The health, safety, and well-being of our team, participants, and volunteers is always our first priority and we take that responsibility very seriously. Our goal has always been to produce our events with the highest level of safety and we will continue to do that while also adhering to or even surpassing new City, State, and Federal COVID-19 guidelines. 

As we approach race day we will publish more on the specific safety steps and precautions that will be implemented. It is important to remember that this is an evolving situation and is subject to change as conditions and best practices evolve.

Thank you for understanding and supporting local events. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Closed out the virtual racing year with a 1:18:34 half. Held steady at pretty much 6:00 even throughout. Favorable training leading up to it, and it was a favorable day weather wise on a pretty flat looped course.

No idea what 2021 has in store but am optimistic I’ll be able to finally register for my first Boston using a December ‘19 time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Indulged in every single temptation from about April to October because "fuck it - Covid" and got about as heavy as I've ever been. On October 1 I started eating healthy during the week - lean proteins and veggies only - and running. I lost 18lbs since the first week in October. With the weight loss I was able to run further with fewer rest walks on the run. Woke up today and decided to test myself. Drove to town lake and ran the 10.5 miles in 1 hour and 35 minutes. Feeling pretty good about that. Might register for a half when races come back. Don't know how you motherfuckers run so long so fast.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Signed up for the Texas Marathon in Kingwood for NYD. http://www.50statesmarathonclub.com/texas.html?RL=1

99% sure I won’t run it. I ran into an overtraining wall. My runs over the last month have gotten progressively worse. Trying to battle through major fatigue and soreness, but it just gets worse. A 5-miler yesterday, which should be just a warmup run, was brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After a year of not racing due to Covid and my weight getting out of hand, I'm determined to run more miles this year.  My wife and I just signed up for my friend's half marathon in Lincoln, NE in October, and I just signed up for a trail half marathon May 1st.  Just ran my longest run of the year this morning, 8.5 miles.  I'm looking forward to running being fun again and feeling like I'm just flying around instead of struggling through every mile.

Any recommendations on good trail shoes?  I have a pair of Solomons that's a few years old and I need something with some more cushioning.  Leaning towards Hoka, Brooks Cascadia, or maybe Altras. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, iodeac said:

After a year of not racing due to Covid and my weight getting out of hand, I'm determined to run more miles this year.  My wife and I just signed up for my friend's half marathon in Lincoln, NE in October, and I just signed up for a trail half marathon May 1st.  Just ran my longest run of the year this morning, 8.5 miles.  I'm looking forward to running being fun again and feeling like I'm just flying around instead of struggling through every mile.

Any recommendations on good trail shoes?  I have a pair of Solomons that's a few years old and I need something with some more cushioning.  Leaning towards Hoka, Brooks Cascadia, or maybe Altras. 

Check out the Nike Pegasus Trail 2s. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:26 PM, irishtexan said:

Indulged in every single temptation from about April to October because "fuck it - Covid" and got about as heavy as I've ever been. On October 1 I started eating healthy during the week - lean proteins and veggies only - and running. I lost 18lbs since the first week in October. With the weight loss I was able to run further with fewer rest walks on the run. Woke up today and decided to test myself. Drove to town lake and ran the 10.5 miles in 1 hour and 35 minutes. Feeling pretty good about that. Might register for a half when races come back. Don't know how you motherfuckers run so long so fast.  

9 minute miles for 10.5 is nothing to sneeze at.  i'd kill for that now.  my sciatica seems to have calmed down.  and the spinal stenosis isn't causing issues, so i'm able to run 5-6 miles without discomfort.

i need to start putting on miles to get up to a half marathon.  i may do one in Dallas on Memorial Day weekend.  now that i'm fully vaxxed, i definitely want to start doing some organized runs.  i need the motivation to train that only a race seems to give me.

The song remains the same.

Late last year the BCS Half Marathon was the only Race pressing hard to still be held; when it canceled in Oct or Nov, I just stopped training and gave up....Not until a couple weeks ago did I really think any races would actually be run in person.   My motivation is coming back but I'm way overweight.....   No way I could do the Austin Half, so the "Too Hot To Handle Half" in Dallas in July is my target.....

If anyone know a shortcut to drop about 20 lbs, I'm all ears. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my half at 1:33 and I’m pretty disappointed. I felt like I trained well for it and felt good running 2 yesterday. I don’t know if it’s residual from 2nd Covid shot from 9 days ago that put me down but nothing felt right after a mile. It could have been the 9 beers last night also. I’m going to get into the lab and crunch some numbers but I can tell I am 40 now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well done, Clintonaldo! The Austin half is a tough course, and the late April date made for some challenging conditions. Plus, I think everyone returning to real racing is still trying to get adjusted to it after an extended layoff.

I managed to get into Boston with a time from December 2019. The cutoff was almost 8 minutes under your qualifying time, and I had just over 8 minutes to work with, so I barely made the cutoff. 

Ran a half up in Amarillo last weekend in 1:20. I trained for a 1:18, but I backed off that time because it was a warm and windy day. Feel encouraged with that result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Well done, Clintonaldo! The Austin half is a tough course, and the late April date made for some challenging conditions. Plus, I think everyone returning to real racing is still trying to get adjusted to it after an extended layoff.

I managed to get into Boston with a time from December 2019. The cutoff was almost 8 minutes under your qualifying time, and I had just over 8 minutes to work with, so I barely made the cutoff. 

Ran a half up in Amarillo last weekend in 1:20. I trained for a 1:18, but I backed off that time because it was a warm and windy day. Feel encouraged with that result.

In your opinion is it more important for me to run longer and slower right now? I am about to sign up for a half in October and a full in November and I want to qualify for Boston which means I have to run a 3:10 and I have never ran a marathon before. I realize I am setting a hard goal but that is my personality. I was going to try and do 15 on Saturday at a slower pace of around 8:40 or something. In my mind I need to get the distance before I get the speed. 

Edited by Clintonaldo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, Clintonaldo said:

In your opinion is it more important for me to run longer and slower right now? I am about to sign up for a half in October and a full in November and I want to qualify for Boston which means I have to run a 3:10 and I have never ran a marathon before. I realize I am setting a hard goal but that is my personality. I was going to try and do 15 on Saturday at a slower pace of around 8:40 or something. In my mind I need to get the distance before I get the speed. 

There are two schools of thought, and to be honest, I've tried it both ways. I've tried more quality work with less miles and more miles with less quality. For me, the biggest payoff was building a base with a high volume of miles over a three month period. It's like building a performance racing car - you want to build as big of an engine as you can and then figure out how to fine tune it. You just want to make sure your body can handle a heavy workload; otherwise, you risk injury. And you also want to make sure there are recovery paces built in a couple times a week. 

That said, there are some people who swear by fewer miles but doing more quality work. My belief is that a lot of these people are mixing in cross training. Whatever you do, as you build up your workload, make sure you're rolling out after long runs, mix in a strength regimen, and get lots of sleep and stay hydrated. I don't know what your current running schedule / volume is like these days, but I can't stress enough that you want to do all of the extra things required to stay injury free. 

In terms of Boston qualifying, also keep in mind that you'll need a time below your qualifying standard. So while it says 3:10, you really needed close to a 3:02 for the 2021 race. I anticipate it will be closer to normal next year, but you'll still need to run probably closer to a 3:06 to feel confident about getting in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:36 PM, fluff said:

Trying to get back into some running, what is the best site to look up races in the area? Mainly 5k for now. There seem to be a few different sites but wasn’t sure if there was a gold standard. Austin area..

Maudie's Moonlight Margarita Run was a summer staple 5K for the longest time. It was virtual last year and this year, and it looks like that virtual window just closed yesterday.

A lot of the more popular 5K Austin-area runs are either in spring or around September. I'd check out the following:
Sunshine Run 8/29
CASA Superhero Run 9/12 (very popular one)
Daisy 5K October TBD (also very popular)

6 hours ago, UrbanAchiever said:

There are two schools of thought, and to be honest, I've tried it both ways. I've tried more quality work with less miles and more miles with less quality. For me, the biggest payoff was building a base with a high volume of miles over a three month period. It's like building a performance racing car - you want to build as big of an engine as you can and then figure out how to fine tune it. You just want to make sure your body can handle a heavy workload; otherwise, you risk injury. And you also want to make sure there are recovery paces built in a couple times a week. 

That said, there are some people who swear by fewer miles but doing more quality work. My belief is that a lot of these people are mixing in cross training. Whatever you do, as you build up your workload, make sure you're rolling out after long runs, mix in a strength regimen, and get lots of sleep and stay hydrated. I don't know what your current running schedule / volume is like these days, but I can't stress enough that you want to do all of the extra things required to stay injury free. 

In terms of Boston qualifying, also keep in mind that you'll need a time below your qualifying standard. So while it says 3:10, you really needed close to a 3:02 for the 2021 race. I anticipate it will be closer to normal next year, but you'll still need to run probably closer to a 3:06 to feel confident about getting in. 

Yeah, I think everyone is a little different. I talk a lot to someone who ran Boston and did IronMan in Hawaii and he swears by just getting the miles. I have noticed that now I can run 11 miles and still work out the next day. I still do a rest day and go to OrangeTheory 4 days a week which helps me with speedwork since I am only on treadmill for around 30 minutes

Thanks for answering. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was going to try and qualify for Boston this fall but I just wasn’t enjoying the training like I should so after talking with someone that did the Kona Ironman awhile back I will do the Ironman 70.3 with him in Chattanooga next May instead. I’ve always been on the fence about it and I have no excuse not to do it since it’s in my hometown. 

In my head I am thinking I will do the 70.3 in May of next year and the full one in the fall of 23. I feel like I am running out of time now that I am 40. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Sounds like Boston got some decent weather for this October date. When I ran in 2015, it was rainy with a gusty headwind, pushed me back 6 minutes above my goal time. Met Frank Shorter in the hotel elevator after. That was cool.
I've run 13 marathons, including Chicago and Berlin, with a PR of 3:52 back in 2013 at Flying Pig (by far my favorite marathon, I've done it twice)

That said, when I had my PR I was in decent shape, and to qualify for Boston I would need a 3:15. I can't even begin to imagine how some people are that freaking fast and have no idea how they even train to get that way.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, UrbanAchiever said:

Theragun or TriggerPoint.

I've been using a Theragun on my calves and it's doing wonders. Can't recommend it highly enough. My one complaint was going to be battery life, because I felt like I was having to charge it way too much. Then I realized my wife had been using it while I'm not around which explains why it was running out of juice so quickly.

Ran my first Boston yesterday. Weather was pretty decent - light wind, and low 60s throughout. 

Ran a 2:48:36 which I was thrilled with. Didn’t intend to race it, but I pretty much did. Felt amazing to just take it all in - running an in person marathon again and Boston at that. The crowds were amazing. I love Boston, the people there, and their collective energy. They are the best hosts imaginable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Ran my first Boston yesterday. Weather was pretty decent - light wind, and low 60s throughout. 

Ran a 2:48:36 which I was thrilled with. Didn’t intend to race it, but I pretty much did. Felt amazing to just take it all in - running an in person marathon again and Boston at that. The crowds were amazing. I love Boston, the people there, and their collective energy. They are the best hosts imaginable. 

Congrats!  Great time!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, Clintonaldo said:

Starting to get pumped for my Ironman 70.3 in May. It will be my first but think I can come in under 5 hours. I’ve learned this shit is fucking expensive but at least I will have everything I need for when I do the full Ironman in fall of 23. 

What race you doing?   I’m doing Chattanooga May 22.   First half coming in under 5 will be impressive.  It will depend on the course.   I’m doing my first full in Maryland this year sept  made famous for its jellyfish. So that sucks shit.  Got my Zipp disc coming this week can’t wait.  Yes this sport is expensive AF lol. Travel gear etc.  depending on how serious you want to be 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What race you doing?   I’m doing Chattanooga May 22.   First half coming in under 5 will be impressive.  It will depend on the course.   I’m doing my first full in Maryland this year sept  made famous for its jellyfish. So that sucks shit.  Got my Zipp disc coming this week can’t wait.  Yes this sport is expensive AF lol. Travel gear etc.  depending on how serious you want to be 

I live in Chattanooga so you and I will be doing Chattanooga together. Let me know where you are staying as we get closer to the race. This morning I got on the bike for 1.5 hours and then did a 4 mile run holding a 6:40 pace fairly easy. I know everything will be different on race day but for now I am enjoying it. I haven't even began to practice swimming but I need to.

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread