Formula 1 2019

wood

Huck had a good point. Maybe it's time to start the 2019 thread. This story seems like a good starting place...

Ferrari confirms Arrivabene's departure as F1 team boss https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-arrivabene-binotto-official-confirmation/4320478/

Can't say I'm surprised. I was told back in August, well before the rumors, that there was a war on at Maranello between him and the technical side/Binotto. Same guy said Binotto wants Vettel out and Alonso in. 

• Like 3

Mario isn't surprised re: Arrivabene...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andretti-casts-doubt-on-leclercs-ferrari-arrival/

Andretti also said he was not surprised to see team principal Maurizio Arrivabene given the chop by Ferrari.

“It doesn’t surprise me so much because there has always been a policy there: if they don’t win, someone has to leave,” he said.

“We saw what happened to Stefano Domenicali, who was great there… the team principal is always to blame.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.why-ferrari-rolled-the-dice-and-removed-arrivabene.4uF715OrLaGMwcMIkUQcKi.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Ogilvy&utm_campaign=779000_20190111_Non-RaceWeekend_F1Store_Control&utm_keyword=TeamNews_General&dm_i=4JQW,GP2W,31WR3Y,1WYMH,1

From the beginning I didn't think he was the guy to lead the team. It just seemed odd to me that they'd just slide a guy over from Phillip Morris to run a racing team.
I'm glad he is gone.

It’s not that simple. He had been with Ferrari for a while and leading a team isn’t only about technical prowess. He’s a chairman for Juventus too.

As a non-Ferrari fan, I thought he was the best they have had in years. He was like their Toto Wolff to now having a Paddy Lowe (Binotto). We will see how it works for them.

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s not that simple. He had been with Ferrari for a while and leading a team isn’t only about technical prowess. He’s a chairman for Juventus too.

As a non-Ferrari fan, I thought he was the best they have had in years. He was like their Toto Wolff to now having a Paddy Lowe (Binotto). We will see how it works for them.

I still don't think he was that great. I am not sure what he does as a director for Juventus. I saw that there was a shakeup there at the end of the year, but no word on his status changing. It just seemed to me that Ferrari have been a cluster fuck for too long. 

I still don't think he was that great. I am not sure what he does as a director for Juventus. I saw that there was a shakeup there at the end of the year, but no word on his status changing. It just seemed to me that Ferrari have been a cluster fuck for too long. 

For sure. But that’s a Ferrari issue, not a MA issue.

Not an attempt at being argumentative, but he has been a big part of Ferrari, thus, he is part of the problem.

Sure, but Binotto is a big part too. In fact, when they went to a package last year that made them lose pace to Merc at a critical point of the season, that’s completely on the technical side of the team and on the technical head. And yet, they just made him the TP. I’m not saying Ferrari won’t necessarily be better this year, but it’s not as simple as “fire current TP, get better immediately”. It’s a culture problem.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, wood said:

Just watched FE Marrakesh. Even with the Gen 2 cars, yeah, meh. Still can't get into it.

My 3.5 year old lost interest about a quarter of the way through the race. If you can't keep the attention of a child otherwise enamored with motorsports, something is wrong. 

Was nice to hear Bob Varsha again though. 

On 1/13/2019 at 8:59 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Sure, but Binotto is a big part too. In fact, when they went to a package last year that made them lose pace to Merc at a critical point of the season, that’s completely on the technical side of the team and on the technical head. And yet, they just made him the TP. I’m not saying Ferrari won’t necessarily be better this year, but it’s not as simple as “fire current TP, get better immediately”. It’s a culture problem.

Yeah, they have a lot of work to do. I never had any faith that they were going to outsmart Mercedes. I guess it's just my residual fandom of Michael Schumacher that makes me want to root for Vettel. But it's funny, my German cousins and I were laughing about how they all dislike the British so much but yet have to root for Hamilton and they also dislike the Italians and root for Vettel in the red car.

For me it was so much easier when Schumacher drove a Ford-powered Benneton!

Yeah, they have a lot of work to do. I never had any faith that they were going to outsmart Mercedes. I guess it's just my residual fandom of Michael Schumacher that makes me want to root for Vettel. But it's funny, my German cousins and I were laughing about how they all dislike the British so much but yet have to root for Hamilton and they also dislike the Italians and root for Vettel in the red car.

For me it was so much easier when Schumacher drove a Ford-powered Benneton!

Word. I’m ready for the season to start!

• 2 weeks later...

For sale again?

Liberty Media purchased Formula One not even three years ago for $8 Billion, and they’ve got very little to show for it. Liberty’s goal was to increase online revenue, increase youth viewership, and attract new venues and sponsors. The company has effectively failed to accomplish any of those goals, and has been rumored to be in a position to sell the so-called pinnacle of motorsport once more, according to sports finance site johnwallstreet.com. 

The sport changed hands from one Mr. Bernard Ecclestone to Liberty Media in 2017. Because Liberty wants out, the rumors warn that Ecclestone could be coming back to the F1 circus at a mega discount. Allegedly he’s first in line to buy back the series he once ruled over, and at a massive discount from what Liberty paid him

Here’s where things get juicy. Formula One has apparently come out and stated that such rumors are rubbish and don’t warrant serious consideration. There are some who take F1 at its word, placing the rumor square in the mouth of Ecclestone himself. It’s possible that Ecclestone is trying to rumormonger in a bid to drive the sport’s ownership into question. He’s been known to do such shady things as this before. Will we ever know the truth? Unlikely.

https://jalopnik.com/formula-one-might-be-for-sale-again-1832139448

Wow, there are so many unassailabale facts and figures in that blurb, it absolutely must be true... 

Or alternatively, it sounds like complete BS.  Liberty hasn't even had two years to implement the changes they seek, plus they've been bound by previous contracts to other partners for most of that time, and expecting massive change in under two years for a multi-billion dollar industry is... well, silly.

Don't think anyone's posted these yet, and since it's now February we're closing in.  Car launch/release dates for 2019:

Team Date Venue
Toro Rosso February 11 Online
Renault February 12 Enstone, UK
Racing Point (Force India) February 13 Toronto, Canada
Mercedes February 13 Silverstone, UK
McLaren February 14 Online
Ferrari February 15 Maranello, Italy
Alfa Romeo Racing February 18 Barcelona, Spain
Williams TBA  
Red Bull TBA  
Haas TBA  
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 7:44 AM, utee94 said:

Don't think anyone's posted these yet, and since it's now February we're closing in.  Car launch/release dates for 2019:

Team Date Venue
Toro Rosso February 11 Online
Renault February 12 Enstone, UK
Racing Point (Force India) February 13 Toronto, Canada
Mercedes February 13 Silverstone, UK
McLaren February 14 Online
Ferrari February 15 Maranello, Italy
Alfa Romeo Racing February 18 Barcelona, Spain
Williams TBA  
Red Bull TBA  
Haas TBA  

Latest update...

Dykxs76WoAMWnxT.jpg:large

• Like 1

For real though I’m ready. I have been spoiled with Hamilton for the last 5 years so as much as I would love him winning again, here’s to some competition!

That said, it will be interesting to see who nails the new front wing regs from the start. I do think Red Bull might struggle because they may not be able to seal the front of the floor as well, so it may hurt their high rake philosophy.

Merc camo for testing?

aae9091c2f9ad231b53978266be3ed0a.jpg

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

That is the actual car, too.

Any confirmation of that? It looks a lot like the 2018 chassis with 2019 wings and some different bits around the sidepods, etc.

4 hours ago, Capn81 said:

d1538076afe30b160195335d339d89cd.jpg

REHF1_SIDE-508-1.jpg

Haas-F1-VF-19-Formel-1-2019-fotoshowBig-

Haas-F1-VF-19-Formel-1-2019-articleDetai

Haas-F1-VF-19-Formel-1-2019-lightbox-a02

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Different side pods, different side pod openings, different rear wing end plates (rear wing itself is 100mm wider and 20mm taller than 2018 spec), different spine shape along the back, different fin shape (where it meets the spine), has an S duct, and I can’t see it well but the upper wishbone of the rear suspension looks much fancier. Barge boards are hard to see but look different too (I think regs changed here too).

The launch car at the event, however, was the VF-18 with new livery. The renders are the VF-19.

fe1f001c0773404fad55a15de435e35e.jpg