Formula 1 2019

wood

In case you missed them ... 2019changes to F1 rules and regulations 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-rules-and-regulations-what's-new-for-2019.2DIt7TEs9YqI8IY6mEcwsM.html

lulz ... 

Self-scrutineering: Cars will no longer be scrutineered in the traditional sense at the start of the Grand Prix weekend. Instead, competitors must sign a declaration that they are in compliance with the rules – and, of course, the stewards can make random checks at any time.

Scout's honor. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really promise the car is legal. Cross my heart. Hope to die. Stick a needle in my eye. Really.

Seriously. Who's the fucking nitwit that came up with that shit? 

ETA: The only way I can think of that this could actually be a good thing is if the FIA now puts a lot of time and energy into these random checks and they catch teams in the act of infractions that they wouldn't have previously caught, at least partially because the teams are emboldened  by not having to present a legal car at the beginning of the weekend. Of course, that won't matter either if they continue the common practice of just saying "Take it off before the next race" when they do catch something illegal, which is laughable at best.

Edited by wood

Like the new John Player special version of Haas.

Really like the STR although I'm not sure about the really long red Honda stripe. EDIT: Actually just checked and it was on there last year, too.  I guess I learned to live with it, and this year's version looks cleaner to my eye.  So yeah, cool, another winner on their livery.

As for the Williams-- I really can't even tell what I'm looking at. Right now, I'm gonna say I don't like it.  But can't tell for sure.  Shots are too tight, lighting is odd and dim in weird places, just can't even really see the car from those images.   I will say they've come a LONG way since the below image, and it has been the absolute wrong direction, for the most part, in every possible way:

williams-fw36-martini-4.jpg

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Hate the Red Bull, disagree with y'all on the Mercedes. Somehow manages to be boring and too busy at the same time. Downgrade from last year.

I don't mind the RB, but it probably won't matter anyway, but I agree re: the Merc. Hate the Racing Point. Hate the Williams. 3 to go...

Yeah, the two liveries I like best so far are Renault and Toro Rosso, which is weird because I don't like yellow generally speaking and red, white, and blue color schemes are a bit tiresome (or at least old hat) for obvious reasons.

Wait, forgot Haas. Didn't dislike it but wasn't in love with it when I saw it but it's growing on me as I see the alternatives. Ha.

My favorites so far are Mercedes, then STR, then probably Haas.

The Renault looks about the same as last year and that's still too much banana yellow for me, although it's interesting how that car looks totally different when viewed from the top/font vs. the sides/back.

RBR is ugly AF, and the Williams I just can't tell, but I'm feeling like I'm going to hate it.

Oh, and Force Canada is still pink, so it gets an "X" and no ranking from me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wood said:

Jesus, that Racing Point livery is just an abortion. It's amazing what a shitty job some of these teams do with their liveries.

I really thought they had an opportunity to work on it "under new management."  I understand that they're still sponsored by BWT and it's important to their branding, but they had a chance to do something more interesting, and they just... didn't.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't care a lick about Renault, but I'm all for a successful Ricciardo.

And looking at the Renault video.... "We're No. 4! We're No. 4!" Oh, and on the video, let's put a clip of our car crashing from last year and getting smoked down a straightway by our competitors.

Fucking French.  The aggy of F1.

Ferrari SF-90. The matte paint and black make it look really good. Overall the car is definitely an evolution of last year. Nothing too crazy going on here, at least not yet.

Airbox intake smaller, sidepod intakes larger, so they moved some stuff down.

All the Ferrari cars so far have stacked wastegate pipes above the exhaust outlet. Could be interesting.

8b29e7bd0ca2f7419dee3e20e0e5af16.jpg

78f3c027ca2e3e3803b2d4c127aad79f.jpg

ee4616e14a212043a5d9ea5467914ed0.jpg

e48d5563c9908b4b6623f5838e18f6f0.jpg

87d55d575fd734c3b4294ef6b07fc1ba.jpg

26c17e2d7370cb8e09a794bf13f1f00b.jpg

9872d5dbfe88023ed0e21b54e4f11089.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

pretty damn nice livery

It's definitely an improvement.  I'm not sure the papaya orange works as well in 2019 as it did in the 1960s, but I definitely like the graphic nature of the way they integrated the blue this year, much better than last year.

I thought I'd hate a matte red Ferrari, but that looks pretty slick.  I like the Mission Winnow ID in black rather than white and I like the way it looks sort of like a sharktooth pattern on the engine cover. 

Edited by utee94

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

pretty damn nice livery

Yeah  I agree. They evolved last year'd livery with something cool that doesn't detract from the rest of it.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's definitely an improvement.  I'm not sure the papaya orange works as well in 2019 as it did in the 1960s, but I definitely like the graphic nature of the way they integrated the blue this year, much better than last year.

I thought I'd hate a matte red Ferrari, but that looks pretty slick.  I like the Mission Winnow ID in black rather than white and I like the way it looks sort of like a sharktooth pattern on the engine cover. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I like the McLaren but I'm a sucker for blue and orange color schemes (probably a bit because it's a UT system color scheme - see UTEP, UTSA, etc.). Agree a slightly darker orange would look better with that blue.

Maybe PMS 159 and PMS 7469? Ha.

I love the papaya and blue and I'm glad they seem to have stuck with it as their identity going forward.Also, the papaya is very reactive to the ambient lighting and looks very different in different settings. It often actually looks much darker than this.

McLaren-MCL33-3-700x367.jpg

f1-barcelona-march-testing-2018-stoffel-

fernando-alonso-mclaren-mcl33-renault-le

Edited by wood

Re: the Ferrari, if they must have the "winnow" crap on the car, it at least looks much better in black than white. So glad they got rid of most of the white on the car, and I love matte colors. They just need to go back to the old black wings now...