Formula 1 2019

wood

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

If that’s true, why race? At some point doesn’t it become dangerous to be out there?

Yes, if you get slow enough, you do become a danger to yourself and everyone else out there. We'll see if they're really that slow though. There's generally a lot of journos talking out of their asses on the first day of testing, or really throughout testing. It's just like football. Most of em don't know any more about the cars than we do.

24 minutes ago, texasdago said:

...and now LeClerc is racking up laps

Yep. And Mercedes. McLaren isn't getting as many as those, but is having by far their best winter test in years so far. 120 laps yesterday and 94 already for Norris today.

https://jalopnik.com/the-director-of-senna-returns-with-new-netflix-f1-docum-1832751134

a new racing doc series on Netflix, and it’s calledFormula 1: Drive to Survive

It’s a 10-part documentary series on the streaming network, and it’s co-produced with F1 itself. James Gay-Rees is listed as an executive producer, and he produced Senna. 

4 minutes ago, Updawg said:

https://jalopnik.com/the-director-of-senna-returns-with-new-netflix-f1-docum-1832751134

a new racing doc series on Netflix, and it’s calledFormula 1: Drive to Survive

It’s a 10-part documentary series on the streaming network, and it’s co-produced with F1 itself. James Gay-Rees is listed as an executive producer, and he produced Senna. 

Looks cool. What immediately jumped out at me is that Asif Kapadia directed Senna, not Gay-Rees. Jalopnik has updated that now though.

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Looks like Chandhok is his replacement. Ant is gone too. Ted apparently has a falling out with the new Sky boss. Karun is supposed to be good, but I liked Ted. At least we also have Jenson now.

Yeah I like Karun ok, but he's soooo dry. His mom follows me on twitter, so there's that lol. She got all the funny and didn't pass any on to Karun. I'll miss Ted as much for his wacky humor as for his insights that nobody else brings, but then again, maybe he'll end up on youtube or F1TV or something.

Whole lotta people are pissed off about it...

It does seem strange though the way it's played out. I'm not at all sure he's been 'fired'.

Edited by wood

Hmm...

Industry sources have indicated to this site for some time that Kravitz’s Sky future was in doubt. Motorsport Broadcasting can now confirm the reports that circulated over the weekend that Young initially opted not to renew Kravitz’s contract for the 2019 season.

However, this site can exclusively confirm that the decision to axe Kravitz was overturned from within, with discussions between Sky and Kravitz ongoing regarding his ‘return’ in recent weeks.

The u-turn from Sky is not a result of any social media storm that unfolded over the weekend, the wheels for his return were in motion far before the leak. This writer chose not to write about the subject of Kravitz’s potential exit given that negotiations were ongoing between both parties, and any decision to publish an article could jeopardise those.

Elsewhere, Sky have confirmed that Anthony Davidson will remain part of their line-up despite Sky omitting him from their press release last Friday. Expect a similar number of races for Davidson compared to previous years.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019/02/25/ted-kravitz-to-remain-part-of-skys-formula-1-team/

The best time in testing was less than 0.05 seconds slower than Hamilton's pole in Barca last year. These cars may be slower, but I don't think anyone will notice.

They will be faster. If not already, they will be later. Barcelona does have a new track surface, but it’s also much colder there right now than it will be in May.

But C5 is a softer/faster compound than any they'll have at the actual Spanish Grand Prix. Will probably all end up a wash but I do expect them to be slower to start with. You're probably right that they'll get to the same speed or faster by the end of the season, though.

But C5 is a softer/faster compound than any they'll have at the actual Spanish Grand Prix. Will probably all end up a wash but I do expect them to be slower to start with. You're probably right that they'll get to the same speed or faster by the end of the season, though.

Yeah, but C5 doesn’t really even last an entire qualifying lap at Barcelona, so it’s not really all that much faster there (and it already has the lowest temp working range out of any of them). C1 is essentially useless, so I imagine we will still have the C4 in Barcelona.

Last year the fastest testing times were set on Hypersoft, and the pole lap, which was a second faster, was set on Supers.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, Capn81 said:

I have made it through the first two episodes. Pretty good so far. I think it might make me pull more for Danny Ric more this season. Just a good dude.

Yep. Agree with all of this.

Anyone else notice the V8 sounds stuck in here and there? Seems a bit like false advertising.

• Like 1

I get that it used to be done, but seems strange at this point. At least it's limited to the points places in order to earn the point. Otherwise you'd see all the cars in 11th and lower positions coming in for new tires on the third to last lap to make one big run at it on fresh tires and low fuel loads. Not that they'd have a real high probability of hitting the fastest lap but there'd be no reason not to try. And if a front running car had some sort of wing damage early in the race and found themselves in something like 12th place with 3 laps to go they absolutely would do that.

• Like 1