Formula 1 2019

wood

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

what if nascar had been developed on road courses for $100, alex

I've been thinking for a couple years that the time is perfect for a North American Supercars spinoff, racing at tracks like the Glen, Road America, Sonoma, VIR, Long Beach, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Hermanos Rodriguez, Mid-Ohio, Belle Isle, Laguna, Barber, Thunder Hill, Elkhart, Mosport, CGV, and so on...

27 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well shit. Charlie Whiting died. Pulmonary embolism.

RIP.

damn

2 hours ago, wood said:

I've been thinking for a couple years that the time is perfect for a North American Supercars spinoff, racing at tracks like the Glen, Road America, Sonoma, VIR, Long Beach, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, Hermanos Rodriguez, Mid-Ohio, Belle Isle, Laguna, Barber, Thunder Hill, Elkhart, Mosport, CGV, and so on...

i'd watch that.   someone call roger.

Edited by elfenix

Never really followed F1 but I thought the Netflix series was great. I'm going to follow it this year. Thinking about rooting for Pierre Gasly and Kevin Magnussen.

If there's anything (not too detailed) that a noob should know, let me know. Basic stuff. I'm not a car guy but I thought the buildup to and the races on the Netflix series were interesting. I will say some of these guys came off pretty bitchy. I suppose that heightens the sport's intrigue. 

Never really followed F1 but I thought the Netflix series was great. I'm going to follow it this year. Thinking about rooting for Pierre Gasly and Kevin Magnussen.
If there's anything (not too detailed) that a noob should know, let me know. Basic stuff. I'm not a car guy but I thought the buildup to and the races on the Netflix series were interesting. I will say some of these guys came off pretty bitchy. I suppose that heightens the sport's intrigue. 

Some of it was played up a bit. It’s normally a really secretive sport though, so it was nice to see some behind the scenes aspects.

I've only seen 2 episodes of the series, but I particularly like how they're taking the broader view of the whole weekend rather than just the race itself. I'm that guy that watches every single session of the weekend to get the whole story of what happened. I know not everyone is this way, but with the sports I love I've always been very attracted to the prep work that goes into it and the buildup of an entire event in its entirety. To me, tuning into an F1 weekend right before the race starts is like walking into a movie theater 3/4 of the way through a movie. 

• Like 2

Ok, so that brings to mind a question I had. When they're qualifying, I saw there are other cars on the track and they obviously know there's a car qualifying at the time. Do they all just know and take the same line through the course during the qualifying run and the other cars just  know to stay clear of that line?

Ok, so that brings to mind a question I had. When they're qualifying, I saw there are other cars on the track and they obviously know there's a car qualifying at the time. Do they all just know and take the same line through the course during the qualifying run and the other cars just  know to stay clear of that line?

Yes, it’s a group qualifying session so if a car isn’t on a hot lap, it will typically make sure to move out of the way. The team usually lets the driver know that someone is coming through also.

If a driver impedes another driver, they can receive a grid penalty. It will make more sense if you watch qualifying this weekend.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Most of the drivers are bitchy.

It’s time for Merc and Hamilton to start their campaign for #6. emoji16.png

Also, I would love for Kiki to out score Vettle.

Kiki = Kimi? Yeah that would be pretty cool, but they won't let that happen. Leclerc might though.

FYI, FP1 will not air on any ESPN TV channels tonight. It will be on ESPN3 instead...

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26082657/espn-f1-tv-broadcast-schedule-2019

Rolex Australian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, March 14, 8:55 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, March 15, 12:55 AM - ESPNEWS
Practice 3 - Friday, March 15, 10:55 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, March 16, 1:55 AM - ESPN2
Qualifying (re-air) Saturday, March 16, 7:00 - ESPN2
On The Grid - Sunday, March 17, 12:30 AM - ESPN
Race - Sunday, March 17, 1:00 AM - ESPN
Race (re-air) - Sunday, March 17, 6:30 AM - ESPN2
Race (re-air) - Sunday, March 17, 9:00PM ESPNEWS

espn3 had a sky F1 show called 'welcome to the weekend' on this morning at 2 am central.  watched the first 20 minutes of it before falling asleep.   a bit of discussion about charlie and what he meant to the sport.

Edited by elfenix

If you have the time definitely watch practice rounds because you get s lot more info about the weekend and F1 in general. Qualifying gives some but usually the race and qualifying are focused on those events as they happen.

I enjoy watching practice more than the race sometimes, depending on the race and what's going on

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jograves said:

18 hours ago, wood said:

I've only seen 2 episodes of the series, but I particularly like how they're taking the broader view of the whole weekend rather than just the race itself. I'm that guy that watches every single session of the weekend to get the whole story of what happened. I know not everyone is this way, but with the sports I love I've always been very attracted to the prep work that goes into it and the buildup of an entire event in its entirety. To me, tuning into an F1 weekend right before the race starts is like walking into a movie theater 3/4 of the way through a movie. 

since about 7/10 races are really predictable (read = boring), especially at the front end, the drama and intrigue is in the build-up to the race, culminating in qualifying session. 

you're watching the trajectory of who's practicing well, and seeing how that translates to qualifying.  even if the qualifying results are somewhat predictable, you know that these guys are giving it 100%.  in the race, theyre often conserving fuel, tires, and motor longevity.  also, pay attention to mid pack because that's where the chaos is.

f1 is pretty unique in that aspect.  when i was watching nascar, cart, champ.... i only paid attention to race day, and the front 3 positions because there's lots of lead changes and jostling for position.  f1, not so much.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

since about 7/10 races are really predictable (read = boring), especially at the front end, the drama and intrigue is in the build-up to the race, culminating in qualifying session. 

you're watching the trajectory of who's practicing well, and seeing how that translates to qualifying.  even if the qualifying results are somewhat predictable, you know that these guys are giving it 100%.  in the race, theyre often conserving fuel, tires, and motor longevity.  also, pay attention to mid pack because that's where the chaos is.

f1 is pretty unique in that aspect.  when i was watching nascar, cart, champ.... i only paid attention to race day, and the front 3 positions because there's lots of lead changes and jostling for position.  f1, not so much.

...which is a huge problem in F1 right now.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Merc lock out. Norris in the top 10 is awesome. Can’t wait for lights out and see who crashes first.

Yeah just finished Qualifying. Lots on the table this weekend for me & my boy. So, yeah, same as it ever was, at least in Q. After being told all thru winter testing and ever since by the 'experts' that McLaren were only quicker than Williams ... they're fifth. The same experts also had Merc behind Ferrari. Just goes to show how hard winter testing is to read.

We'll see tonight though, how different race pace will be compared to Q.

• Like 1

Yeah just finished Qualifying. Lots on the table this weekend for me & my boy. So, yeah, same as it ever was, at least in Q. After being told all thru winter testing and ever since by the 'experts' that McLaren were only quicker than Williams ... they're fifth. The same experts also had Merc behind Ferrari. Just goes to show how hard winter testing is to read.
We'll see tonight though, how different race pace will be compared to Q.

Eh, most people said the midfield would be tight, which it is. McLaren also had pretty good race pace during testing.

1 hour ago, wood said:

That's a commercial break minus the ad.

Yeah, I guess I figured that out later....apparently my Roku Premiere+ doesn't like F1 stream from ESPN, either 1080 @ 30fps or 720 @ 60fps, even though it did last year.  My other Roku 3 works fine with either stream, so I guess that will get relocated before tonight.

• Like 1

I hope Merc doesn't just run away with it again. I'd love to see either Renault or Haas challenge the top 3 occasionally. 

I'd also not mind if Racing Point struggled because Daddy Stroll seems like a douchebag. 

It's a little sad what has happened to Williams. I hope they can at least get to a point where it's not embarrassing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Eh, most people said the midfield would be tight, which it is. McLaren also had pretty good race pace during testing.

Yeah most reasonable people saw it that way. Not most journalists tho. Even casual observers thought McLaren had good race pace during testing, but we were consistently told by the 'experts' that they were at the back of the midfield. Any good times they ran were called 'glory runs'. Good runs by other teams were always 'promising' and 'ominous' lol. One (was it Chandhok ?) even called one McLaren race sim a glory run. How exactly do you do a glory run on a race sim? Commentators & journalists in Barcelona were even openly mocking McLaren. Very few gave them a chance. Most of these guys talk a lot of shit while not even knowing what they're looking at.

6 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I hope Merc doesn't just run away with it again. I'd love to see either Renault or Haas challenge the top 3 occasionally. 

I'd also not mind if Racing Point struggled because Daddy Stroll seems like a douchebag. 

It's a little sad what has happened to Williams. I hope they can at least get to a point where it's not embarrassing. 

Haas won't be allowed to challenge the top. They're Ferrari's bitch B-Team. 

Renault isn't there yet. 

And Abiteboul is right about all this B-Team bullshit. If we're gonna allow B Teams, then just admit you're a 2-class series and award two championships.