Formula 1 2019

wood

23 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Apparently this race was the one race they had access to Mercedes during.  Some producers somewhere are out of their heads with giddiness right now. 

That is going to be one hell of an episode.  They could make that one 90 minutes, and it'd be enthralling. 

What a race; that was tremendous fun. 

Requesting "Dumb Question Amnesty" for a noob:  How do teams work out the pecking order among their drivers (or is there even a pecking order)?  I get they want two strong drivers who are both hopefully finishing in the points and scoring constructors' points, but is there one guy in the team who gets "pushed" a  bit more for the title or points?

Unrelated: Renault may be late arriving to Mogyoród.

spacer.png

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dutch said:

That is going to be one hell of an episode.  They could make that one 90 minutes, and it'd be enthralling. 

Requesting "Dumb Question Amnesty" for a noob:  How do teams work out the pecking order among their drivers (or is there even a pecking order)?  I get they want two strong drivers who are both hopefully finishing in the points and scoring constructors' points, but is there one guy in the team who gets "pushed" a  bit more for the title or points

Usually they start the drivers out even at the beginning of the season (or at least they give that appearance). Later in the season they'll tend to favor the driver that has a significant lead in terms of WDC points.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Requesting "Dumb Question Amnesty" for a noob:  How do teams work out the pecking order among their drivers (or is there even a pecking order)?  I get they want two strong drivers who are both hopefully finishing in the points and scoring constructors' points, but is there one guy in the team who gets "pushed" a  bit more for the title or points?

Unrelated: Renault may be late arriving to Mogyoród.

spacer.png

I think that only plays out for teams who actually have drivers in championship contention, which is Merc and Ferrari.  In case of Ferrari, you would naturally start with the proven driver which is/was Vettel.  And as the performances evolve you want to support the one delivering actual results.   More loyalty, more success/popularity --> more merchandise $$, sponsorship $$.

For a team like McLaren they don't need to do such a thing.  Ultimately the constructors championship matter more as it is prize money that comes to the team at the end of the season.

• Like 1

So much going on. I completely missed Verstappen's stop when watching live even though his stop time data was put on the screen. Too much Mercedes crew scrambling, couldn't take my eyes off of it.

Verstappen entered pit lane 7.2 seconds after Hamilton. Here's where he was when Hamilton was released:

image.thumb.png.e83995a90580b6796cf89bbe23d512d4.png

1 hour ago, wood said:

Better than 50/50 chance of a Vettel/Verstappen swap according to Dieter Rencken's source: https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/31/silly-season-or-sensible-season-the-state-of-the-driver-market-for-2020/

Interesting. I'd like to see Honda power really start to make it solidly into the top-3. I'm not a Honda fan, but I like variety.

Another noob question as I'm watching practice this morning:

When they're in the garage before they go on the track, you often see them put a laptop or a Surface or whatever on the car in front of the driver. Are they showing them the track or something else?

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

Another noob question as I'm watching practice this morning:

When they're in the garage before they go on the track, you often see them put a laptop or a Surface or whatever on the car in front of the driver. Are they showing them the track or something else?

Timing and GPS information about themselves and others, usually the teammate. 

They can tell if their teammate is braking later or getting on the gas faster, figure out which corners could improve, etc. 

• Like 1

Wow, finally had the time to get caught up, what a week.

That race was something else.  I give driver of the day to Vettel, he had a great race.  But the single best "move" of the day was Max's complete 360, and then continue on to win.  That was some great driving.  

As expected, Ferrari screwed up qualy, but at least they only half-screwed up in the race.  And just imagine how interesting the last 6 or 7 laps would have been if LeClerc had stayed in.

Tough luck for Mercedes, it's rare, but I feel for them regardless.

Wow. George Russell out qualifies both Racing Points and Danny Ric. Very nearly made Q2. 

Pretty good. 

Looks like Ric screwed himself starting the lap in traffic and trying to get around Perez at a weird time. 

Edited by Hawndoh

If you just looked at the results, you'd think "eh, Hamilton first again."  But boy, as noted, that was exciting.

Ferrari seemed like they were never a threat at all to the top 2.  Not even from the start.

I picked McLaren as a mid-pack team to root on this year.  Maybe I jumped on a good bandwagon(?). 

Merc schooled everyone on strategy. Ferrari just MIA. 
Good job by Sainz, too. 
Yep, Hamilton drove amazingly but this win was because of his team. He didn't want to pit and argued against it.

Red Bull should have been willing to drop a second behind Hamilton on fresh tires. Would have been a hell of a ballsy move and probably all hindsight but they should have realized Mercedes had good info on the hard tires because of Bottas. So when Mercedes pitted Hamilton Red Bull should have realized there was a really good reason that they were willing to try to make up 20 seconds in 20 laps.
  • Like 3