Formula 1 2019

wood

70%-80% rain chances expected Tuesday and Wednesday in Austin.  Hopefully it won't affect loading in to the RV lots on Thursday, last year the COTA team was still trying to spread out more gravel and held us all up for an hour or two.  This year it's Halloween and I ain't got time for that shiznit, so I'll likely just drive around them if they try to stop me.  That pretty much always works, because they just don't care.

11 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Getting my schedules and all printed out (for a guy that works in technology, I don't trust it).
Definitely taking 2 chairs this year: 1 to leave at the RV site and 1 to leave at the viewing platform so I don't have to carry back and forth.
Always a concern if I'm going to get gifted parking, so going back through my links.

Danny And Carmen's Parking

I parked at D&C for Indy. Right on Elroy road, maybe a 100 yards to the back of Lot T. Was a great location, easy in and out, had no complaints. $20 for Friday or Saturday, $30 for Sunday. $61 for all weekend. They say they are getting low on spots for Sunday, not sure how true that is, but that Fri and Sat have lots available.

Joe O's parking  Right by D&C, $30/day for this weekend. $90 for Friday-Sunday.

which little taqueria back there should i hit up? 

Nice.  I knew that I had to finish watching the Mexican GP yesterday, because I knew with all the drivers and teams coming to Texas, local spoilers might become an issue.  

Looking forward to seeing what the drivers are posting to their social media accounts this week, Ricciardo is usually good for some pro-Texas schtick. :)

1 minute ago, mcbrisket said:

Yeah, too bad its a bye week. Daniel went to a Texas game last year I think.

Yeah that was awesome.  He loves himself some Texas.

I don't generally follow the insta-twitters, but if any of you do, feel free to post and consolidate on this thread... :)

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

70%-80% rain chances expected Tuesday and Wednesday in Austin.  Hopefully it won't affect loading in to the RV lots on Thursday, last year the COTA team was still trying to spread out more gravel and held us all up for an hour or two.  This year it's Halloween and I ain't got time for that shiznit, so I'll likely just drive around them if they try to stop me.  That pretty much always works, because they just don't care.

Gonna be chilly Friday morning. Better make sure you bring extra blankies in your RV.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Eddie Gossage is ticked about F1 being in Texas the same weekend as Nascar

There’s very little competition between NASCAR and Formula 1

I think the only real competition is corporate suite etc. buyers. I'd love to see the numbers 2018 vs 2019 for AAA 500 and USGP. AAA has been declining big time, from what I've seen, in both suite and commoner butts and we know that USGP has been dropping throughout the years.

As far as die hard fans, there probably isn't much crossover. The people that I know that love NASCAR, can't spell F1. I go to both, but only when I get to not be GA, I'm not paying for GA in either, I don't care that much. I like things that go fast, but I don't budget for the races (I know, I'm not the target market for either). I should have talked to my vendor about their suite at Texas because this may be their last visit there as a sponsor,  but I already had the F1 weekend all set aside in my, and my wife's, mind. I'll be at COTA around 8am Sat and Sun to catch the support races.

Edited by relapse98

Eddie Gossage sounds like a blowhard.  I understand his frustration, but I don't know a single Formula 1 fan that would ever go to a NASCAR race, and the 1 die-hard NASCAR fan I know wouldn't ever bother to go to a Formula 1 race.  That's anecdotal of course, but even Eddie Gossage admits there's very little overlap. 

It's also kind of funny when he mentions that there are 52 weekends in a year, and then mentions that he's not asking Formula 1 to stay away from just one, but rather two of those weekends.  Who made HIM the arbiter of all free weekends in the state of Texas?

You know what Eddie?  Go eff yourself.  You don't own the state of Texas.  You don't speak for the state of Texas.  And you sure as shit don't speak for me.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

It's funny how certain weekends just end up with all kinds of shit going on so you can never do them all. F1 is this weekend. So is my 13 yo's baseball tourney, his district band tryout, and his first ride with the mountain bike team ... all within a few hours. My oldest has his first volleyball practice ... on Sunday .., at 1PM.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Yeah our kids have 3 soccer games between them this weekend.  And their grandparents will be staying with them all weekend, and taking them to their games.

I genuinely enjoy watching them play and am sorry to miss, but sometimes we have to do stuff for "us" and not "them."  I dropped UT football season tickets 3 years ago and it's made room for a ton of kid weekend time in the Fall.  But sometimes, we're going to miss their stuff.  It's ok, that's what grandparents are for! :)

• Like 1

My boys are 13 & almost 16, & they wanna do all their stuff and still go to F1, too. LOL. Sadly, they only have two Grandmas left, who really aren't capable of helping out any more. We do more taking care of them ... That's ok. They earned it.

This is what many of us fans have been worried about all along, and really, who knows what Mercedes is going to do, either. We all know that at some point, any manufacturer not named Ferrari WILL leave F1. It's not a matter of 'if'. It's a matter of 'when'. What then? How does F1 replace them in this crazy PU formula?

As more and more general production vehicles go electric it's going to result in massive changes across all Motorsport. 

It may have to become a totally self sufficient niche sport where race specific companies make everything. Dallara chassis and Cosworth engines for everyone, etc. 

That's essentially what IndyCar is. Those aren't Hondas and Chevys. They're race engines with logos slapped on them. 

17 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

As more and more general production vehicles go electric it's going to result in massive changes across all Motorsport. 

It may have to become a totally self sufficient niche sport where race specific companies make everything. Dallara chassis and Cosworth engines for everyone, etc. 

That's essentially what IndyCar is. Those aren't Hondas and Chevys. They're race engines with logos slapped on them. 

This is one big reason why so many people thought this new PU formula was a huge mistake for F1. Road relevance in F1 is a myth and is pretty new even as a talking point. F1 has never been road relevant and got huge precisely by being as far from road relevant as it could be. And yeah, everything on an F1 car as well is built by race-specific entities. Some of them have manufacturer names as part of their nomenclature, but they exist for one thing.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:
4 hours ago, wood said:
Oh hell yes.
daniel-ricciardo-renault-f1-te-1.jpg
helmet-of-daniel-ricciardo-ren-1.jpg
helmet-of-daniel-ricciardo-ren-1.jpg

Makes me like him even more than I already did. Just wish he was on a better team this year.

Exactly my thoughts.  I didn't think I could love Ric any more, but now I do.

Awesome day out at the RV lot, then rushing back home to take the kids trick or treating.  We'll be back out in the lot by 7:30 and ready for on-track action at 8:40.  Love this weekend every year!

• Like 1

So sweet...

I got the designer's twitter handle from one of the Renault design team guys yesterday. It's @JMD_helmets, if anyone wants to compliment them on their work. IMHO a lot of care went into getting this right and honoring our Texas uni traditions.

60vY3RZ.jpg