Formula 1 2019

wood

Wait ... so they're saying they 'sold out' of GA wristbands? LOL. They could put half a million people in there if they utilized their GA space.
That's what I was thinking. But I just checked ticket city and stub hub and everything is super expensive. Is there a limit to GA? Glad I went Friday.
  • Like 1

Just now, Updawg said:
22 minutes ago, wood said:
Wait ... so they're saying they 'sold out' of GA wristbands? LOL. They could put half a million people in there if they utilized their GA space.

That's what I was thinking. But I just checked ticket city and stub hub and everything is super expensive. Is there a limit to GA? Glad I went Friday.

There is no good reason I know for them to limit GA at any such low number, but they've done it before. In 2012, they cut it off arbitrarily at (they said) 40,000 GA sold. 

• Like 1

Just now, Updawg said:
30 minutes ago, wood said:
Yeah, just watch the Grosjean streamable leading up to his crash. Unreal. No wonder he lost it.

To be fair - it is grosjean

Yeah, but after watching that video, I didn't feel like I could dismiss it as just yet another "Grosjeaning". It was rough as hell, and I wondered at the time how a driver in a car doing that could even see to hit the right spots. Then today iirc in FP3 one of the drivers said something about the bumps and not being able to see...

• Like 1

There is no good reason I know for them to limit GA at any such low number, but they've done it before. In 2012, they cut it off arbitrarily at (they said) 40,000 GA sold. 
I guess they just know they can't handle more?. I would have thought fire code or traffic reasons. I'm surprised they are cutting it off.

4 minutes ago, Updawg said:
8 minutes ago, wood said:

I guess they just know they can't handle more?. I would have thought fire code or traffic reasons. I'm surprised they are cutting it off.

Fire code would allow for far more than they've ever had. Like 100s of 1000s more. My guess is this is all just PR. He really seems to be trying to convince someone of something, for sure.

• Like 1

went out today and it was packed. I was in turn 9 and the stands along with all the stands I could see were full, and there were thousands on the hills.
Track was bumpy as shit going into turn 1. A lot of cars getting squirrely.
I was on T15. Yep.packed. beautiful day to be out.

I'm looking forward to the Verstappen v Leclerc death match.

Just read that they had rollers out there last night trying to smooth the bumps. If that's true, and if they had any effect at all, then the surface is in even worse condition now than I thought it was.

In other news, this much-needed bit of furniture was added.  Now they need em at T6, T9, and the exit of 19. Not sure just how safe it is though...

EIdJvsMWkAAMHj9.jpg

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, wood said:

COTA to close in winter for "extensive"  repairs https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/cota-austin-winter-repairs-bumps/4591945/ via @motorsport 

Must be planning to fix the bumps that I've been told repeatedly aren't a problem. 

Were you also saying bobby would not make repairs, and let the place sundown?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Were you also saying bobby would not make repairs, and let the place sundown?

I said I had that feeling, yeah, based on knowledge of how he operates, like letting this shit go with  patchwork repairs when it needed a big fix.  And based on the length of time scheduled for these repairs, it's probably not the big repair the track needs imho.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, Updawg said:
3 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:
boring race, glad I only paid $50 for general admission.   Bring back the V8s and V10s and loud exhausts and not these pussified cars to satisfy the eurofag treehuggers 

How did you get a $50 ticket? Outside the track?

yeah, ran into somebody trying to offload a ticket at the last minute.   most of the scalpers were asking for $100 about 2 hours before the race

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I came here to start a "what the fuck am I missing?" thread, figuring nobody talks about auto racing on surly.

Drove by COTA today on the way from San Antonio to Dallas -- holy fuck that that traffic.

What bizarro traffic app sent you by COTA to get from San Antonio to Dallas?