Formula 1 2019

wood

I’m not saying it doesn’t have bumps.  What I am saying is I think you are missing the point.  When racing, you manage a ton of things.  Bumps, wind, under/over steer, temperature, traffic blah, blah, blah.  He failed to manage those variables as well as the other drivers and whined about it. Like he always does.  

From what I call, when he broke his suspension he was way outside in a known dangerous place. He shouldn’t have been there if he properly managed his race. 

did you happen to read Riccardos take on the track?

46 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I’m not saying it doesn’t have bumps.  What I am saying is I think you are missing the point.  When racing, you manage a ton of things.  Bumps, wind, under/over steer, temperature, traffic blah, blah, blah.  He failed to manage those variables as well as the other drivers and whined about it. Like he always does.  

From what I call, when he broke his suspension he was way outside in a known dangerous place. He shouldn’t have been there if he properly managed his race. 

did you happen to read Riccardos take on the track?

It's like you didn't even watch the race weekend & don't know why Vettel (and every other motherfucker out there) was taking the exit of 9 so wide, outside the track.

And yeah, I saw Danny's comments, and they're fine. I never said every single guy hated the bumps, but he's in the minority. And most of the guys complaining freely acknowledge that having some bumps is fine, even desirable. They then go on to describe the magnitude and nature of COTA's bumps as being unlike anything they've ever seen before. 

You have to remember that this track was engineered and built specifically for F1 cars. COTA made a huge deal during and after construction about the 'stat of the art', billiard-table-smooth surface and how much work and resources had gone into making it just so ... for F1 cars. So now it's basically the roughest track any of the F1 drivers or MotoGP riders ride on, but if they say so, they're just whining...

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Also, another TD issued. This one is for preventing any flammable liquid from the cooling systems being used for combustion. I guess the current thought it that Ferrari may somehow have oil in the intercoolers or somehow leech it into them (or maybe even coolant from an air-to-water cooler) in Q and they combust it for more powah similar to the oil burning from the past few years.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Re: that new TD, I've been wondering how they're pulling a specific component of the coolant into the fuel (if they are). Pretty amazing if true.

Welp ... here we go: 

One theory was that a leak from the intercooler, in which Ferrari uses oil unlike its competitors, would allow a small amount of oil vapour to become part of the engine's combustion process.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/teams-lubricants-engines-oil-burn/4597036/

14 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

I mean, what else does Merc have to prove? Same reasons Porsche left LeMans. Spend millions of dollars to make the same statement you've already made several years in a row. 

Yeah I've been thinking for a while that they'd be done at the end of 2020, and that's a big reason why. Quit while you're ahead after 2020, then stick around as an engine supplier again, with McLaren or RBR as your works team.

i would not forget penske as a works team.  mercedes F1 engine works is the old ilmor, which penske has a long history with (not just the 500I and other mercedes badged engines, those chevy badged 265 engines were also ilmor, along with the IRL olds and chevy engines). 

19 hours ago, wood said:

It's like you didn't even watch the race weekend & don't know why Vettel (and every other motherfucker out there) was taking the exit of 9 so wide, outside the track.

And yeah, I saw Danny's comments, and they're fine. I never said every single guy hated the bumps, but he's in the minority. And most of the guys complaining freely acknowledge that having some bumps is fine, even desirable. They then go on to describe the magnitude and nature of COTA's bumps as being unlike anything they've ever seen before. 

You have to remember that this track was engineered and built specifically for F1 cars. COTA made a huge deal during and after construction about the 'stat of the art', billiard-table-smooth surface and how much work and resources had gone into making it just so ... for F1 cars. So now it's basically the roughest track any of the F1 drivers or MotoGP riders ride on, but if they say so, they're just whining...

Again, not saying they are ideal.  Just not the end of the world.  Just something you have to manage along with the 100's of other things.  But, in fairness, I haven't ran it in the last 6ish months so possibly it deteriorated more than I am aware.  I will be there twice in the next month and will check back and eat my words if it's terrible :).  

For the record, pretty sure I only said Vettel was whining (I didn't re-read though the thread).  But, then again, I can't stand Vettel.  

From what I can tell from events that are scheduled there, at the most it will be closed from late December to Mid February unless they start cancelling things.

11 hours ago, wood said:

Now rumors that ...

- Merc F1 is for sale and that talks with Penske have already been had.

- Merc has offered RBR engines for 2021

- Red Bull thinks Merc will leave

Shit's gettin' crazy yo.

So, what would that mean for the current Mercedes drivers?

12 hours ago, Atxracer said:

So, what would that mean for the current Mercedes drivers?

Depends on what the new owner wants, I guess (if the rumor is true).

15 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Again, not saying they are ideal.  Just not the end of the world.  Just something you have to manage along with the 100's of other things.  But, in fairness, I haven't ran it in the last 6ish months so possibly it deteriorated more than I am aware.  I will be there twice in the next month and will check back and eat my words if it's terrible :).  

For the record, pretty sure I only said Vettel was whining (I didn't re-read though the thread).  But, then again, I can't stand Vettel.  

From what I can tell from events that are scheduled there, at the most it will be closed from late December to Mid February unless they start cancelling things.

Epstein said it'll be closed "most of December and half of January".

Re: why everyone was taking the exit of 9 so wide, it was because, even as rough as it is out there, it was smoother & better than taking it on track .They weren't doing it as much during FP1, but by FP2 you could see there was a notable shift to everyone taking it wide, off track. The Sky guys talked about it a lot and hinted or maybe even said outright that race control was allowing it because of the big bump on the racing line and how hard the cars were hitting it, activating their rev limiters, etc.

Edited by wood

Hamilton admitting fault threw me a little. Seemed like Albon missed the corner and then turned down in on Hamilton.

I think it’s because he takes a lot of pride in clean racing. If you think about it, he doesn’t really have many incidents with contact. Even if it was minor and pretty much a racing incident, it wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t tried the move, so he wanted to put it out there. He pretty much implied after the race that he wouldn’t have tried that in a normal situation, but did so because he had nothing to lose and gave it everything.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think it’s because he takes a lot of pride in clean racing. If you think about it, he doesn’t really have many incidents with contact. Even if it was minor and pretty much a racing incident, it wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t tried the move, so he wanted to put it out there. He pretty much implied after the race that he wouldn’t have tried that in a normal situation, but did so because he had nothing to lose and gave it everything.

Yeah, I think you're probably right about Lewis's reasoning and intention in claiming the fault.  But I disagree with him, he did nothing wrong, racing incident all the way. Albon left it open and Lewis took a reasonable line.

Dear Lord Ferrari. Vettel.  Ugh.  Still seemed like minimal contact to warrant such catastrophic failure, but that seems to be Ferrari's lot these days.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Also, after some of the commentary after here from previous races I just chuckled when Hamilton starting whining about his tires.

And Verstappen played both the late restarts so perfectly. It was something to behold. Hamilton definitely should have used that last second acceleration strategy when he was leading into the first late restart. That pit straight is too long if you don't.

Edited by Huckleberry

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Albon left it open and Lewis took a reasonable line.

in post race i think they mentioned that albon took the normal racing line (maybe he shouldn't have because he was defending)

22 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

Pretty cool that a Honda out-dragged a Mercedes up that straight too. 

in the cooldown room i think i heard max say something about the toro rossos being faster than the red bulls in a straight line, seemed like he was impressed as well about it out dragging the mercedes.

4 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Pretty cool that a Honda out-dragged a Mercedes up that straight too. 

hamilton probably depleted his battery power after spinning albon out, trying to accelerate back to pace ... thats worth for something like 15% of total power?