Formula 1 2019

wood

They're supposed have the regs for 2021 done by October. FIA is claiming the new regs will make racing much closer. The cars can follow with a reduction of 5% downforce.  

The teams aren't very keen on the new regs supposedly

1 hour ago, Kdub said:

They're supposed have the regs for 2021 done by October. FIA is claiming the new regs will make racing much closer. The cars can follow with a reduction of 5% downforce.  

The teams aren't very keen on the new regs supposedly

Yep. I thought I had already posted this, but ...

F1's current generation of cars lose around 45% of their downforce when they are two car lengths behind another. The latest simulation data for the 2021 idea puts the loss at between 5 and 10%.

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

new giant wheels look regarded.  i've read the teams hate them and the only reason they have giant wheels is because every road car comes with stupidly low profile rubber.

...and the tire suppliers want low-profile tires on F1 cars because of that. Just more of the tail wagging the dog. Frankly, with the way the manufacturer teams run F1 now and seem content to milk it dry, I'll believe any of this happens when I see it.

5 hours ago, wood said:

Wow. How long have some of us been saying this is what needs to happen?

racefansdotnet-2021-floor.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at-- is the floor now following the sidepods more closely?  Or even running insdie the outside profile of the sidepods?  I think that's what it looks like?  If so, yes, EXACTLY what we've been asking for, for many years now.

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at-- is the floor now following the sidepods more closely?  Or even running insdie the outside profile of the sidepods?  I think that's what it looks like?  If so, yes, EXACTLY what we've been asking for, for many years now.

where currently the floor is flat underneath the sidepods, the proposed floor would gather a bunch of air at the front with the reverse-diffuser, channel it through a narrowing tunnel formed by the bottom of the sidepod, the middle section of the car, and the side skirts, then accelerate it out the big diffuser at the back (which would start ahead of the rear wheels).  it's basically indycar aero turned up way past 11. 

underside of (previous aero) indycar:

ryan-briscoe-fontana-flip.jpg?itok=t3bxM

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

new giant wheels look regarded.  i've read the teams hate them and the only reason they have giant wheels is because every road car comes with stupidly low profile rubber.

Nothing I agree more on.  The current Civic type R comes from factory with 20 inch wheels.

Twenty, fucking, inches, on a Honda hatchback.  Lamborghini diablos and other exotics didn't have something as large when I was growing up. 

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I was referring to the ground effect venturi tunnels as opposed to the flat floor currently seen on the cars.

actually it's a lot more like a mid 1980s champ car.  check out the tunnel underneath the radiator inlets on danny ongais's 1984 march:

1984_March_Interscope_6_.jpg

and if you compare the pics on rahal's 1986 march you can see the sidepod curves down on the outside (and on which adrian newey was race engineer):

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo14/monterey/lots/r228-1986-march-86c-indianapolis/181201

On 7/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, Dutch said:

Netflix and F1 have confirmed a second season of "Drive to Survive" with all ten teams onboard.  Season 1 totally sucked me in to F1.  

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.formula-1-drive-to-survive-to-return-to-netflix-next-year.2FTTMwLiLTxiMAmlQ7k8dE.html

they should just make a Haas spin-off.

• Like 1

Ugh. I finally figured out why my DVR has missed recording practice 2 most of the season. 

P1, P3, and qualy have been on ESPN 2 and on the guide is listed as Formula One. 

P2 has been ESPNU and called Formula 1.

Spectrum doesn't spell out One for that channel and it isn't recognized as a series so there is no option to record every instance of it. 

So I have to manually schedule P2 to record every time.

Haas has Magnussen running the newest build with Grosjean driving their Australia car.
So of course Grosjean ran 6th in FP2 and Magnussen was 18th. Are their engineers sabotaging the team? Ha.
On Sunday those results will be flipped

Newey: RBR almost had deal done with Alonso ... and Vettel: https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-almost-had-vettel-and-alonso/

“It is one of those things that unfortunately never happened, but it was very close to happening.

“I think we would have had a lot of success all together, but it didn’t work out. Red Bull has generally always tried to follow the policy of developing its own drivers. That was a small consideration.

“We met a couple of times and there were negotiations in Austria. It was close, but in the end it didn’t happen.”

It’s fair to say that Alonso could have had more World Championships to his name if it wasn’t for questionable career choices, but Newey stressed the Spaniard often “exceeds the car in his hands”.

“He seems to have had bad luck with some choices he has made, but whenever we have spoken with him, he has been very kind,” Newey added.

“Fernando’s ability often exceeds the car in his hands. I think that’s the mark of a truly great driver — the ability to stand out despite not having a great car.”

Edited by wood

7 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Ugh. I finally figured out why my DVR has missed recording practice 2 most of the season. 

P1, P3, and qualy have been on ESPN 2 and on the guide is listed as Formula One. 

P2 has been ESPNU and called Formula 1.

Spectrum doesn't spell out One for that channel and it isn't recognized as a series so there is no option to record every instance of it. 

So I have to manually schedule P2 to record every time.

ESPN app has had the full replays of all practice and qualifying sessions on their “event replays” menu. Even allows you to FF/RW etc

• Like 1

Yeah I have a couple of TVs with Roku and the ESPN app on that is great, really easy to manage and use.  I also have ESPN app native on two Samsung Smart TVs and it's a little clunkier than the Roku version, but it'll still get the job done.  I've been using that more than my actual DVR'd versions lately, since I only have DVR on our "main" TV.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:
3 hours ago, MAROON said:
more likely they both flip their cars and DNF.  Trying to root for Haas but these guys are making it almost impossible.

I'm with you. They are the Houston Texans of F1.

Sounds about right. I haven't liked these guys at all since day 1. Just like the Texans....

• Like 1

I actually kind of like RoGro. I think that he is to blame for ~75% of the shit he's been a part of, but I also think that some of his reputation is unfairly based on simple "wrong place, wrong time" stuff that other drivers without his track record would get away with. 

KMag is an unlikable shithead. I'd go so far as to say that I like his father less because of him. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I have a couple of TVs with Roku and the ESPN app on that is great, really easy to manage and use.  I also have ESPN app native on two Samsung Smart TVs and it's a little clunkier than the Roku version, but it'll still get the job done.  I've been using that more than my actual DVR'd versions lately, since I only have DVR on our "main" TV.

As a long time lazy cord cutter, I subscribed to FI tv this season.

It's the Sky TV announcers, but every once in a while (it seems mainly during breaks) the visuals don't match up to say someone being interviewed.  As a whole, though, I find "Crofty" pretty entertaining.  It appears on Reddit that everyone hates him, so I might be too new to know why.

Anyway, the first weekend it sucked balls (lag, whole sections of practice cut out, e.t.c) but it seems they got enough complaints that overall I find it a pretty good experience.

I think it would be awesome if some bar somewhere in Austin opened during odd hours to all the F1 stuff, but it seems that only happens sometimes at COTA(?)

33 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

As a long time lazy cord cutter, I subscribed to FI tv this season.

It's the Sky TV announcers, but every once in a while (it seems mainly during breaks) the visuals don't match up to say someone being interviewed.  As a whole, though, I find "Crofty" pretty entertaining.  It appears on Reddit that everyone hates him, so I might be too new to know why.

Anyway, the first weekend it sucked balls (lag, whole sections of practice cut out, e.t.c) but it seems they got enough complaints that overall I find it a pretty good experience.

I think it would be awesome if some bar somewhere in Austin opened during odd hours to all the F1 stuff, but it seems that only happens sometimes at COTA(?)

Probably won't be worth it for that bar to open for the 10 or 20 of us here in town that care about F1.

Crofty doesn't bother me that much either. Yeah, he's over the top, says stupid things from time to time, and all that, but it seems like most of the people complaining about him are Brits who never had to watch a race with Diffey leading the circus. It absolutely blows my mind  that there are still some Americans complaining about the Sky broadcast & saying that they miss NBC's shittastic coverage.

Edited by wood

Can I ask stupid noob questions here?
Here's stupid question number one:
Why, during much of what appears to be maintenance, do the drivers stay in the car?  Is that a rule, tradition, other?

Some do, some don’t. It’s a pain to get in and out and get strapped in, so unless there’s going to be a big delay, they usually just stay in. Most of the time it’s only setup adjustments and they go back out which isn’t really all that long.

11 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Can I ask stupid noob questions here?

Here's stupid question number one:

Why, during much of what appears to be maintenance, do the drivers stay in the car?  Is that a rule, tradition, other?

It takes a few minutes to get all strapped up. If they're only going to be in the garage 10 minutes or something they just stay in the car and go over anything they need on the monitors they put in front of them. 

If it will be 15+ minutes they'll get out.