Formula 1 2019

wood

Haas won't be allowed to challenge the top. They're Ferrari's bitch B-Team. 
Renault isn't there yet. 
And Abiteboul is right about all this B-Team bullshit. If we're gonna allow B Teams, then just admit you're a 2-class series and award two championships.

No, that is definitely Alfa Now. Haas have actually started to differentiate a lot of their designs from Ferrari this year (aero wise).

20 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

No, that is definitely Alfa Now. Haas have actually started to differentiate a lot of their designs from Ferrari this year (aero wise).

B-Team. C-Team. Whatever it takes. Ferrari's not gonna allow either to outdo them though. That was my point.

Edited by wood

They mentioned during qualy that Ferrari was using Haas during practice to see how far the engine could be turned up.

Anyway, if there's anything I've learned from the last 2 years of F1, it's that rumors of Mercedes' death are greatly exaggerated.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, elfenix said:

They mentioned during qualy that Ferrari was using Haas during practice to see how far the engine could be turned up.

Anyway, if there's anything I've learned from the last 2 years of F1, it's that rumors of Mercedes' death are greatly exaggerated.

They are the Patriots of F1. I love to hate on them and keep waiting for them to break, or do stupid shit, but they don’t.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They are the Patriots of F1. I love to hate on them and keep waiting for them to break, or do stupid shit, but they don’t.

Sorta. The Patriots have to do what they do under a salary cap. No budget cap in F1, and Toto Wolff has said flat out that Merc will spend 'whatever it takes to win'.

There's no disputing that they do a great job though. 

They also do it with castoffs from other teams. Aldo Costa is an Italian that is a former Ferrari lead designer and head of design and development. He got reassigned and then fired in 2011 and went to Mercedes and has been absolutely instrumental in their success.

James Allison had a lot of success at Renault/Lotus, then became TD at Ferrari. He had a “mutual parting” after the death of his wife. He later joined Mercedes, which many Tifosi were glad to see as they didn’t think he was that great. Well, he’s now been part of two double championship teams.

Their current technology director, Geoff Willis, went from Red Bull to freaking HRT, and has been at Mercedes since 2011 and has been a big part of their success as well.

A lot of it is a culture and structure thing, which is where some of the comparisons come from regarding the Patriots. When they encounter problems, they keep their head down and just fix it, kind of like the Patriots. They’re never “out of their element”.

Also, Ferrari usually spends more than Mercedes does, though it is close.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/12/26/the-cost-of-f1-revealed-how-much-teams-spent-in-2018-part-two/

21 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They also do it with castoffs from other teams. Aldo Costa is an Italian that is a former Ferrari lead designer and head of design and development. He got reassigned and then fired in 2011 and went to Mercedes and has been absolutely instrumental in their success.

James Allison had a lot of success at Renault/Lotus, then became TD at Ferrari. He had a “mutual parting” after the death of his wife. He later joined Mercedes, which many Tifosi were glad to see as they didn’t think he was that great. Well, he’s now been part of two double championship teams.

Their current technology director, Geoff Willis, went from Red Bull to freaking HRT, and has been at Mercedes since 2011 and has been a big part of their success as well.

A lot of it is a culture and structure thing, which is where some of the comparisons come from regarding the Patriots. When they encounter problems, they keep their head down and just fix it, kind of like the Patriots. They’re never “out of their element”.

Also, Ferrari usually spends more than Mercedes does, though it is close.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/12/26/the-cost-of-f1-revealed-how-much-teams-spent-in-2018-part-two/

Yeah outspending Merc by $10M is a drop in the bucket in F1, but I don't think we'll ever know how much exactly any of them spend. The same guy to whom Toto said they'd spend whatever it takes also said Merc outspends everyone. No doubt they have a great structure, being Mercedes, which is also a major reason they can outspend everyone easily. There's also a whole lot of Merc R&D infrastructure that can be used for F1 (especially early on when they produced their PU, which has been their biggest advantage) that very likely cannot be accounted for by Dieter's research. Issues like that are one reason I have my doubts about how well a budget cap can be policed in F1, but we'll see. Even Ferrari can't match what Merc can do in that area.

I'll definitely give you Costa, but calling Allison a castoff is a bit of a stretch. There were probably a few tifosi disgruntled with him, but that's always going to be the case at Ferrari, which is a big part of their problem. There were also a whole bunch more tifosi who were very sad to see him go, but they understood, given his family issues. 

Edited by wood

They also jettisoned Nicholas Tombazis, Pat Fry (now engineering director at McLaren), Claudio Domenicali, Luca di Montzemolo, and Maurizio Arrivabene.

If Ferrari doesn’t win the tradition is to fire someone, and their structure and hierarchy changes all the time so they aren’t very stable.

12 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They also jettisoned Nicholas Tombazis, Pat Fry (now engineering director at McLaren), Claudio Domenicali, Luca di Montzemolo, and Maurizio Arrivabene.

If Ferrari doesn’t win the tradition is to fire someone, and their structure and hierarchy changes all the time so they aren’t very stable.

Absolutely. You mean Stefano, right? Luca was pretty great imho, and they've been nowhere since he left.

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Whoops, yes, Stefano. Claudio is Ducati CEO but they’re unrelated.

Luca was good too I think. Marchionne seemed like a very unrealistic boss.

Yep. Luca's great imho. Marchionne was the terminator & imho a bit of a crazy asshole. Obviously very smart, but a nut imho.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wood said:

Sorta. The Patriots have to do what they do under a salary cap. No budget cap in F1, and Toto Wolff has said flat out that Merc will spend 'whatever it takes to win'.

There's no disputing that they do a great job though. 

Here's a story I found from 2017, that uses 2016 numbers. There is a chart.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2018/04/08/revealed-the-2-6-billion-budget-that-fuels-f1s-ten-teams/#47e91fe96595

I thought that was a pretty good race. I'd like to see Honda engines do well. I won't root for them, but there needs to be some more racing.

I did think it was interesting just how short, and a touch curt, Hamilton was with his answers. It's as if he knows Bottas has come to race this year. I hope so. The lack of speed for Ferrari was really shocking.

The next race should be fun.

• Like 1

I thought that was a pretty good race. I'd like to see Honda engines do well. I won't root for them, but there needs to be some more racing.

I did think it was interesting just how short, and a touch curt, Hamilton was with his answers. It's as if he knows Bottas has come to race this year. I hope so. The lack of speed for Ferrari was really shocking.

The next race should be fun.

Well, he knew the team kinda F’d him over (unintentionally).

Apparently a piece of the floor fell off too, but I don’t know how much that actually cost him. Once he knows his position is more or less sealed, he manages the gap behind and stays there.

6 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well, he knew the team kinda F’d him over (unintentionally).

Apparently a piece of the floor fell off too, but I don’t know how much that actually cost him. Once he knows his position is more or less sealed, he manages the gap behind and stays there.

Piece fell off Hamilton's floor? I didn't hear that.

Piece fell off Hamilton's floor? I didn't hear that.

I saw this Medland tweet initially.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1107192947190063104

Also saw SmilexTech mention it. He’s a good follow BTW, even if you have to translate all of his tweets.

In one of the interviews he said something about “they know what the problem was”. Would make sense if he was referring to that I guess.

First thing he did after getting out of the car:

6a769a4509992d12e4019e69aa8a64e0.jpg

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I saw this Medland tweet initially.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1107192947190063104

Also saw SmilexTech mention it. He’s a good follow BTW, even if you have to translate all of his tweets.

In one of the interviews he said something about “they know what the problem was”. Would make sense if he was referring to that I guess.

First thing he did after getting out of the car:

6a769a4509992d12e4019e69aa8a64e0.jpg

Cool, thanks.

Lol@ferrari. Can't podium, can't give LeClerc a shot at fastest lap as a consolation.

Haas still can't figure out how to get a wheel properly attached

Gasly is going to lose that ride by mid-season

When was the last time we heard the Finnish anthem?

The cars seem to be able to run in packs better than last year. I think, ultimately, they're too wide to do a lot of passing on temporary and old circuits. Paul Ricard will be amazing, though.

So I watched the Netflix series and decided to follow Formula 1 more closely this season.  I'll learn as I go but two questions jump out.

How the hell does Honda have an F1 engine but not McClaren?

I liked Ocon on the Netflix series and noticed him with the Mercedes team.  As a back up will he ever really race with Bottas and Hamilton in front of him?  And won't he get stale just sitting around all year, or do they allow back ups to drive during practice time?

10 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

So I watched the Netflix series and decided to follow Formula 1 more closely this season.  I'll learn as I go but two questions jump out.

I liked Ocon on the Netflix series and noticed him with the Mercedes team.  As a back up will he ever really race with Bottas and Hamilton in front of him?  And won't he get stale just sitting around all year, or do they allow back ups to drive during practice time?

McClaren is only 1/3rd of Ferrari by revenue.  Renault makes engines.  Question is why isnt BMW back in F1 - they were a decade ago, and the technologies today are applicable to what they do on the road (small capacity turbochargers). 

Ocon is an unfortunate consequence of the politics and economics of F1.  Nice guy... talented... just can't bring in his own sponsors like sergio perez and his own $ like stroll

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

McClaren is only 1/3rd of Ferrari by revenue.  Renault makes engines.  Question is why isnt BMW back in F1 - they were a decade ago, and the technologies today are applicable to what they do on the road (small capacity turbochargers). 

Ocon is an unfortunate consequence of the politics and economics of F1.  Nice guy... talented... just can't bring in his own sponsors like sergio perez and his own $ like stroll

I'd love to see Porsche someday get back in.

But Mercedes is just so big and powerful and hard to beat.

15 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Honda is one of the biggest engine manufacturers in the world (the biggest?). McLaren is tiny in comparison. Even Aston Martin doesn't build all of their engines for their road cars. An F1 engine under today's formula is massively more complex and expensive than engines for their road cars would be, and McLaren isn't even big enough yet to build those.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

No car/engine manufacturer is going to join F1 until at least 2021. There are supposed to be new rules then, but nobody will even commit now because there is still so much uncertainty about what the rules will be. Honda's latest F1 experience with this complex & expensive engine formula isn't helping attract new manufacturers, either, and now it's looking more and more like they'll end up sticking with pretty much the status quo. If that happens, don't expect new manufacturers to jump into the fray against 4 manufacturers who have a several year head start on them.

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Which is why I’m surprised BMW doesn’t compete with Merc in F1. They could match them.

They probably could have had they started when Merc did in this engine formula. Same with Audi. Until there's a new PU formula, there won't be any new manufacturers imho.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

Lol@ferrari. Can't podium, can't give LeClerc a shot at fastest lap as a consolation.

Haas still can't figure out how to get a wheel properly attached

Gasly is going to lose that ride by mid-season

When was the last time we heard the Finnish anthem?

The cars seem to be able to run in packs better than last year. I think, ultimately, they're too wide to do a lot of passing on temporary and old circuits. Paul Ricard will be amazing, though.

Yeah Gasly is an utter joke. I knew RBR had emptied their YDP pipeline when they confirmed him last year for this year's #2 spot.

And Haas with the wheels, damn.

Very impressed by Bottas's run. Not so much with Ferrari, losing out to RBR. Not really too surprised by Merc. It was pretty funny watching Edd Straw and some of the other commentators' shock and amazement & backtracking attempts re: winter testing and how much teams like  Merc and McLaren had "improved since winter testing". It couldn't be that they had just been talking out their asses all the way through and since winter testing and had gotten it completely wrong. No, no way.

Edited by wood