Formula 1 2019

wood

They probably could have had they started when Merc did in this engine formula. Same with Audi. Until there's a new PU formula, there won't be any new manufacturers imho.
This. We need a reset. Also cosworth or some Indipentent engine. Good race though

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:
10 hours ago, wood said:
They probably could have had they started when Merc did in this engine formula. Same with Audi. Until there's a new PU formula, there won't be any new manufacturers imho.

This. We need a reset. Also cosworth or some Indipentent engine. 

Agree, and we're not gonna have an indy engine manufacturer like Cosworth as long as the formula is this complex and expensive ... which is exactly what these 4 manufacturers & the big teams want

1 hour ago, wood said:

Agree, and we're not gonna have an indy engine manufacturer like Cosworth as long as the formula is this complex and expensive ... which is exactly what these 4 manufacturers & the big teams want

depending on how this season goes i could see ferrari wanting something new.  maybe renault too.  i doubt honda would want the rulebook changed just as they've gotten themselves in the (probably) the best chassis with (maybe) the most talented driver, after spending gobs of money and suffering a ton of embarrassment. 

14 hours ago, wood said:

The first Bennetton team had a BMW engine, in 1986. Then they went to Ford Cosworth for a few years. Then to just Ford. I don't remember what happened to the Cosworth part. In 1994 Schumacher's first title was with Bennetton Ford and then they went to Renault.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The first Bennetton team had a BMW engine, in 1986. Then they went to Ford Cosworth for a few years. Then to just Ford. I don't remember what happened to the Cosworth part. In 1994 Schumacher's first title was with Bennetton Ford and then they went to Renault.

Yep. I just mean we won't see it again under these conditions. Which is sad because indy manufacturers like Cosworth were an avenue for small teams to race and survive on a similar level as the customer teams do now, but without being tied politically and tactically to the mother ship.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. I just mean we won't see it again under these conditions. Which is sad because indy manufacturers like Cosworth were an avenue for small teams to race and survive on a similar level as the customer teams do now, but without being tied politically and tactically to the mother ship.

agreed.

• Like 1

Read that earlier. F1 and other international sporting events have a big problem with having events in non-liberal counties. It's was the same cocern with the Olympics going to Beijing in 2008 (and I assume Moscow back in the day), and the World Cup going to Russia and Qatar. I don't know how to address that other than major sponsors pulling out.

Very nice job by LeClerc. I am glad Vettel has some in-house competition. He needs it.

As a person of primarily German descent I root for German drivers, even at Ferrari, but it's hard too because of Mercedes. It's also hard with Hamilton being British (my German relatives and I never root for British drivers), and so damn good.

I guess I'd have liked to see Vettel at Mercedes a few years back.

Vettel's Schnurrbart looks terrible

It almost seems like a reverse of years past and that Ferrari gets the tires to temp faster on out laps. The lower tire blanket temps maybe are affecting that as well.

Red Bull is nowhere in one lap pace this weekend, but their long runs were up there with Ferrari and Merc, so we will see. Gasly still showing poor form.

Get in there Merc with a fortunate 1 - 2. Ferrari falling apart was terrible for Charles. That said, he’s ahead of Vettle in the points and that is awesome.

McLaren in the points!!

How long does Gasly have in the second RedBull seat? He doesn’t seem to have it.

Just absolutely awful for Chuck.  He had the speed all weekend and drove a beautiful race.  Ferrari still has a long way to go on reliability, to be able to compete with Mercedes.  I don't see it happening any time soon.  Maybe next year, I guess.  Getting tired of saying that.  I guess now I know how Aggies feel.

And I guess Renault is the new McLaren.  And Ricciardo might have absorbed all of Alonso's bad luck.  Not a good place to be in either case.

Overall I loved the action and the passing all over the track. 

Safety car was the only bit of luck Chuck enjoyed all day.  And it wasn't much.  He earned the win, a shame his car couldn't hold up its end.  But like he said, that's motorsport.  Here's hoping his luck improves in the future.  

• Like 1