Formula 1 2019

wood

Netflix is pulling me in.  Was I supposed to hate Perez and pull for Ocon?   Because It was so much easier to hate Perez more on the show.  Now I don't want to pull for the Mexican even though the only F1 gear I've noticed on people in SA is Perez stuff.  

Netflix is pulling me in.  Was I supposed to hate Perez and pull for Ocon?   Because It was so much easier to hate Perez more on the show.  Now I don't want to pull for the Mexican even though the only F1 gear I've noticed on people in SA is Perez stuff.  

It was portrayed worse than reality and Ocon was not totally innocent.

That said, most people agree that Ocon is the bigger talent overall. If Bottas stumbles this year he will likely take over the other Mercedes seat. Notice how every time Bottas makes a mistake the director hits this button:

91fe1ecdec6827e27eecda5a97ab0950.jpg

2 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Just wondering...

1) SA = South Austin?

2) SA = San Antonio?

3) SA = South America?

4) SA = South Africa?

We will find out more going forward (especially at Barcelona), but it seems to be more clear that Ferrari has a low drag philosophy, similar to Williams back 5 or so years ago when they were getting podiums. They have a monster straight line car with low drag, but their low speed cornering speed is about on par with the midfield.

They have a weak front end and may find it hard to bolt on more downforce while keeping it efficient.

Interesting from Rosberg:

"I talked to the Ferrari guys and they said to me that they have positioned the car wrong regarding the aerodynamics. They are driving with less aero and they don't have an adequate package to put on the car to have more downforce."

Rosberg: "They are working on that. Ferrari will bring a new rear wing soon. But the problem is that the whole car is positioned in that area so it's not easy. Just changing the rear wing might make the car completely inefficient."

Also, this makes sense from Toto:

[AMuS] Wolff: "Ferrari can use higher performance levels in the training sessions than we can. This has to do with the calibration of the engine."

It is hypothesized that Merc still have cooling issues and can use their maximum power only for 2 laps. Logically they do that in Q3.

I can’t figure out how Ferrari couldn’t tell that Seb wasn’t faster than Charles. He would catch him on straights with the wing open, but not enough to pass. Just let them race. They cost themselves 4th place. I think Merc is in their head and they are trying too hard.

20 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I can’t figure out how Ferrari couldn’t tell that Seb wasn’t faster than Charles. He would catch him on straights with the wing open, but not enough to pass. Just let them race. They cost themselves 4th place. I think Merc is in their head and they are trying too hard.

I think they knew, but had already decided they wanted Seb in front. Didn't they say before the season started that Seb was their number one? Then they pulled back from that a bit. LEC is just as quick as Seb, probably quicker. For now, they should just let 'em race, like you say, unless one is obviously quicker than the other.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:09 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

It was portrayed worse than reality and Ocon was not totally innocent.

That said, most people agree that Ocon is the bigger talent overall. If Bottas stumbles this year he will likely take over the other Mercedes seat. Notice how every time Bottas makes a mistake the director hits this button:

91fe1ecdec6827e27eecda5a97ab0950.jpg

Yeah I think it's all but a done deal. Did you notice Brundle on the pit lane walk, telling Ocon that Toto was going to make sure he's back in an F1 seat next year? Of course that seat could be on another team, but I'll be surprised if he isn't in a Merc.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:50 AM, wood said:

I think they knew, but had already decided they wanted Seb in front. Didn't they say before the season started that Seb was their number one? Then they pulled back from that a bit. LEC is just as quick as Seb, probably quicker. For now, they should just let 'em race, like you say, unless one is obviously quicker than the other.

Both Ferraris were losing ground to the Mercs.  Chuck wasn't helping his "let us race" case, because he wasn't able to hang with Hamilton and Bottas.

And of course Seb is their #1, whether they ever explicitly state it or not. 

Anyway, just finished the race.  At this point, Mercedes is just too good with this engine formula. 

Both Ferraris were losing ground to the Mercs.  Chuck wasn't helping his "let us race" case, because he wasn't able to hang with Hamilton and Bottas.
And of course Seb is their #1, whether they ever explicitly state it or not. 
Anyway, just finished the race.  At this point, Mercedes is just too good with this engine formula. 

Ferrari has been equal if not better on the engine side for at least two years now, though. But yeah, it just makes it that much more impressive for Mercedes.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:29 AM, RamjetFDO said:

I know most of you have already seen it, but for those who haven't - take the time, it's worth it.

Yup.  ChicoSA got me into it.  So now I need to add F1 to my fandom and I've put a international F1 race in my vacation plans.  I was thinking Signapore but going back to VIet Nam would be awesome. 

tuk tuks

Wrong country but I'd put my money on the motorbikes drivers of Ha Noi all day.  

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

Got our tix plus camping passes for the USGP.  

We're also planning a Europe trip for next summer to see the Eurocup 2020, and our dates line up to the current spot for the French Grand Prix.  If it's the same weekend next year, then I'd consider going.

I'd atill much rather hit Spa or Monaco, but the dates just don't work for us, both occur during school here in the USA.  When the kids are older I could make it happen.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

So Baku practice was apparently a mess.
Watching it right now. They are making cota look like a well run operation.
Manhole cover flew up in fp1 and destroyed a Williams. The tow truck crane hit a bridge while bringing the car back to the pit and spilled hydraulic fluid all over it. Fp1 is over. I assume 2 will be as well

https://jalopnik.com/the-azerbaiian-grand-prix-is-already-a-comedy-of-errors-1834324395

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix at Baku has been proving itself to be one of Formula One’s most exciting races of the year—mostly just because the tight street circuit makes for a hell of a lot of shenanigans. And those shenanigans have already started kicking off in the form of a killer manhole determined to gobble up race cars.

The first practice session of the weekend barely lasted ten minutes before officials called the whole thing off. A few cars went out on track, set some times. And then poor Williams driver George Russell saw his car get absolutely demolished by a loose manhole cover in Turn 3.