Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

• 2 weeks later...

Need info:  what guitar effects would you say are being used on The Cure's "A Forest" after the drums come in?  Things change a bit after the intro, so I'm specifically trying to find that jangly tone that's present once the whole band kicks in.  I suspect there's some chorus and reverb but is there something else I'm not aware of?  It doesn't sound like run of the mill chorus effect, which I tend not to like.

This clip should start at the point I'm talking about:

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need info:  what guitar effects would you say are being used on The Cure's "A Forest" after the drums come in? 

I remember reading somewhere that they got some of the chorus effects by double tracking guitars... first tuned down a few cents, then up a few cents.  Don't know if that's bullshit or not.

Google search led me to this:  http://www.effectsbay.com/2016/08/sound-like-cure-guitar-not/ 

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks -- do you think a flanger + delay would be enough to get close to that sound on A Forest?  I almost never play through effects and I'm kinda lost.

I thought the MXR Phase 45 might do it..  Starts at the 3 minute mark.  But that opening clip with Andy on Call Me The Breeze is just a fun way to get the day rolling.  

I have this pedal and really like it.  

• Like 1

@jimmyjazz, I was going to say sounds like a flanger.  I checked on the fender tone app that allows sharing of amp modeling + effects chain for Mustang GT amps and someone created a “Cure” setting described as “Robert Smith playing a forest in Japan.”   I have no idea how it sounds, but the chain is:

1. Sine Flanger

2. ’65 Deluxe Reverb

3. Mono Delay

4. Arena Reverb 

In that order.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm still shopping for a solid Tremolo pedal. Can't seem to make up my mind. I've considered everything from the cheapass behriger and Dano Tuna Melt to the TC Pipeline, which is about the most I would think about spending for this effect. Cheap is good, but I want a quality pedal, no ciicking sounds. I'm not going to gig and it probably won't move much, but I want something that will hold up.

Regardless of whether I will buy it or not, this demo cover of Julia at the beginning of this is pretty awesome.  Seems like a good value for a pedal, but I don't like the top side jack in and output for the pedalboard.

I never realized what a pain in the ass putting a pedal board together would be, getting shit where it needs to be, finding out there's a cord not long enough to reach around or two where the out to in bump together without enough space. And then you start on the second row, and that's lots of fun.

The only other board I ever used was a single row of all Boss pedals in a box built for them. This sucks.

And velcro is bullshit. Got some industrial strength, shit sticks to every damn thing except for one and a half of the pedals i need it to stick to. I was better off leaving all my mess on the floor, less space, more efficient.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, DougO said:

I'm still shopping for a solid Tremolo pedal. Can't seem to make up my mind. I've considered everything from the cheapass behriger and Dano Tuna Melt to the TC Pipeline, which is about the most I would think about spending for this effect. Cheap is good, but I want a quality pedal, no ciicking sounds. I'm not going to gig and it probably won't move much, but I want something that will hold up.

Regardless of whether I will buy it or not, this demo cover of Julia at the beginning of this is pretty awesome.  Seems like a good value for a pedal, but I don't like the top side jack in and output for the pedalboard.

Grab a Bad Cat Mini Trem.  Every bit as good as the Supa Trem in a normal sized box. 

Working on building out a pedal chain running to my Vox AC30.  I don't play country or metal, but pretty much everything else (i.e. rock, hard rock, jazz, blues, funk).

So far I got:

1.  Mythic Overdrive (Klon Centaur wannabe)
2.  Canyon Echo
3.  Zoom CDR multi-stomp (want to replace this with better purpose built stompboxes over time)
4.  Ditto looper

Where would you start looking next if trying to put together a bang-for-the-buck used stompbox chain from reverb?  The MO into the Vox makes for great overdrive sounds, so not sure I see a ton of value yet in something like a top boost.  The Zoom has me covered for awhile with chorus and reverb, so I'm thinking a compressor (ego or mini ego still a good bang-for-the-buck option?) .at the front to help with general sustain while clean/finger picking and to hold those long-ass Gilmour multi-interval bends.  Another part of me wants to get a Bass9 to be able to do more interesting looping.

6 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

There's a Philopher's Tone micro pedal if you're looking for a quality compressor (if you're in Austin you can borrow mine).   Never compared it to the mini ego, which I'm sure is also great.

Thanks for suggestion and the offer, I'm in Colorado, though.  I'll check it out vs the Ego compressor.

Anyone got one of these or have something else to recommend for a looper to support open-mic night gigging and/or home recording?

I and a few others on this thread have the Ditto and like it. Stay away from the big Line6 green box, quality is terrible and when it finally dies it’s expensive to fix.

38 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I and a few others on this thread have the Ditto and like it. Stay away from the big Line6 green box, quality is terrible and when it finally dies it’s expensive to fix.

Thanks, I picked up a stereo ditto looper a few weeks back.  Seems like great bang-for-the-buck option.

45 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Also I wish I knew how to work a compressor. People seem to love them. I’ve never been able to get anything out of one that I thought was an improvement, including my current Ego.

The only way I've liked using them is just barely on. I saw a David Grissom interview recently and he pretty much backed that up, mostly off, sometimes just barely on.

Definitely material-dependent.  It helps with Tele chicken pickin’ and soaring Gilmour solos (neither of which I’m good at).  It’s integral to the Nile Rodgers funk formula (strat, bridge pickup, 1176-style compressor, DI).  It can serve as a clean boost in front of the amp.  

If you don’t want to use the pedalboard real estate/resources on a compressor, the compression function on the Durham Sex Drive works really well.  

On 12/21/2019 at 11:04 AM, tbone_ said:

Also I wish I knew how to work a compressor. People seem to love them. I’ve never been able to get anything out of one that I thought was an improvement, including my current Ego.

The only thing I know to do with them is run them after an overdrive or two.  With the drives and the compressor on, you can work the volume knob on the guitar to adjust the dirt level, but with a pretty steady volume level.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Need info:  what guitar effects would you say are being used on The Cure's "A Forest" after the drums come in?  Things change a bit after the intro, so I'm specifically trying to find that jangly tone that's present once the whole band kicks in.  I suspect there's some chorus and reverb but is there something else I'm not aware of?  It doesn't sound like run of the mill chorus effect, which I tend not to like.

This clip should start at the point I'm talking about:

Robert Smith interview in Guitar Player claims he uses a Fender Jazzmaster that he added a Woolworth Top 20 pickup. I can’t find a good photo of what the finished conversion actually looks like. Apparently he is a bit of a gear head.

I probably could have linked this video on the guitar thread or the amp thread... but putting it here.  Basically, an episode where the guys try to put together a rig on a budget... 1 guitar, 1 amp, 3 pedals.  Like most of their videos, it's a bit long, but they're likable guys who know their shit.  

They also each make some choices that they regret.

This was the first time I've heard a Katana (spoiler alert:  not one of the regrets) 

• Like 3

Starting to feel the gravitational pull towards a Line6 Helix floor model to consolidate around a singular effects chain for home/studio/live use without having to get into amp micing and other such audio engineering skills that are only a means to an end.  Anyone own one and/or have significant playtime with one?

Edited by Goredho

On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, DougO said:

Black Cat Mini Trem is something you should check out.  It does everything the Supa Trem does in a regular sized package for less.