Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

I have the keeley envelope filter but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it.  It doesn't work easy out of the box, you have to dial it in for your specific gear. 

Seems like they are all that way. At least 4-5 knobs and switches and shit. Sensitivity, peak, different pass filters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

On envelope filters:

Money no object:  TruTron 3x

Money sort of important:  Trutron/Mutron Microtron or Analogman Envelope Filter (early run used NOS MXR boards).  I'd include the 3Leaf stuff, but I have no experience with it.

Less expensive but sound good:  80s Boss T-Wah

Any of these will get you that Jerry Estimated Profit quack. 

I've played with the Analogman filter for a day, shot it out side-to-side with mine.  They're both great.  Analogman is much simpler... three knobs compared to six knobs plus three switches.  But the thing analogman does, it does really well.  

I think you can say that about all the analogman stuff.  Their chorus doesn't try to do every possible chorus, same for gain structure in their overdrive pedals.  Each pedal just does one thing pretty perfectly.  

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Wesley said:

I've played with the Analogman filter for a day, shot it out side-to-side with mine.  They're both great.  Analogman is much simpler... three knobs compared to six knobs plus three switches.  But the thing analogman does, it does really well.  

I think you can say that about all the analogman stuff.  Their chorus doesn't try to do every possible chorus, same for gain structure in their overdrive pedals.  Each pedal just does one thing pretty perfectly.  

I've got the TT3X and the Aman filter.  You're right about the Analogman filter.  It's really great, much smaller, and much simpler.  I probably use it more.  I'd have sold the TT3X if it hadn't jumped in price so much.  Figure it's one that's worth holding on to. 

• 2 weeks later...

EHX took the Canyon Delay & Looper concept and made a reverb pedal: Ocean's 11 Reverb. Not only is the Canyon the best value pedal in the universe, I use the reverb mode on it a lot so this definitely has my interest. Unlike with many of EHX's Holy Grail models, on the Canyon you can adjust the tails and brightness of the 'verb (i.e., you can adjust the intensity of the drip). 

Guide to the settings in the video:

https://www.ehx.com/assets//instructions/oceans-11-settings.pdf

Has some modulating reverbs and a tremolo+reverb mode. Looks like it's going to be around $149.00. I'll probably buy this if the spring settings sound good and dial in well. Will need to hear it in person and play around with it first.

I have the keeley envelope filter but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it.  It doesn't work easy out of the box, you have to dial it in for your specific gear. 

Loopers are great for that sort of thing. Get a loop going through that pedal and then sit there and fiddle with all the knobs and switches until you get something you like.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Summer NAMM stuff and recent announcements...

Joyo Rechargeable Power Supply

https://www.musicradar.com/news/summer-namm-2018-joyo-debuts-super-affordable-rechargeable-jp-05-pedalboard-power-supply

mSXjHA6LDeemtJT8U4ufZc-970-80.jpg

Pair that with this (and one more set of wireless adapters) and you wouldn't need a power strip for your pedalboard or any instrument cables on stage. You show up to a gig and all you need is an outlet to plug in your amp. I think I understand this correctly.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/boss-might-have-just-nailed-guitar-wireless-systems-with-its-new-wl-series

wl-50_main.jpg

Some sort of doom metal bass effect from Z Vex

a9PUsYzJezEkcccF5EoCRm-970-80.jpg

Keeley Aria Compressor/OD combo pedal. Visual Soud, which became some other company, actually made a decent contraption like this with the Route 66. If you can get the levels right, a compressor can be even better than a clean boost for solos and lead guitar. Whereas a clean boost just makes you louder, a compressor can boost your signal, saturate your OD tone, and give you bonkers sustain. If you want your lead work to have a different flavor than your rhythm, this would be cool.

cEH9Ka2WSWF27iViHsuqt6-650-80.jpg

Z. Vex Vibrophase

I don't know what this sounds like, but it has my attention

MuWSqzvPvesS888LMBByXb-970-80.jpg

I've been using a Zoom B1on as my only pedal with my bass rig, almost exclusively as an always-on compressor. I've been thinking I want to add a very mild/transparent drive to give me just a little hint of breakup, and I've also thought I wouldn't mind having a better compressor.

So I've ordered a used Durham Electronics Sex Drive.

imgrc0068480339.jpg

Can do that mild grit thing AND it has a compressor that is very well-regarded, even if it's not adjustable (one switch that toggles between soft, hard, and off). I'm ok with not having a ton of control over every parameter if the alternative is "you turn it on and it sounds good." A compressor good enough that the ovni lab guy said instantly became one of his favorites has to be good enough for my amateur punk rocking bullshit. And shelling out $140 for TWO boutique effects that happen to be the exact ones I want doesn't seem too crazy to me. I'm excited for it to arrive.

Would've preferred to find one of the older, larger ones just because I think they look cooler, but the above is what was available in good condition at the right price at the right time. Old one for reference:

DRHM-SD-2.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Any tips on a beginner's looper pedal on a budget?  I've thought about saving for a better amp, but they are harder to sneak in the house.

Zoom G1on and B1on both have a fully functional looper, a very basic drum machine, a great tuner, and like 100 other effects ranging from crummy to surprisingly decent, all for 60 bucks. You can easily spend more than that on a pedal tuner alone, so probably worth a shot. Really it's a great beginner's anything on a budget, at the very least it lets you experiment with all kinds of things and figure out if that's something where you'd want to invest in a non-beginner non-budget version.

For a little more you can get one with an expression pedal. I'm sure you can get one from somewhere with a return policy if you have doubts.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:15 AM, TexasEd said:

Any tips on a beginner's looper pedal on a budget?  I've thought about saving for a better amp, but they are harder to sneak in the house.

I use an EHX Canyon. It does a LOT of shit beyond just looping. Pretty cool device.

Miles’ Catlinbread post in the LZ thread got me wondering...can you guys tell the tone difference between all these ultra nuanced pedals we have these days once the drums kick in and you start jamming with a band live?

The tone nerd in me loves all these pedals we have now but I’ll be damned if I can hear any subtleties when we are jamming. I can tell the difference in gain levels and if it cleans up with the volume knob but beyond that all my dirt pedals sound pretty much the same to me in a band setting.

Ok, I tried to demo the Boss Waza Chorus. Soundcloud link at the bottom.

First some caveats: I cannot use a looper for the life of me, but I did my best. You can hear all this clicking and shit in the background and the mix sucks. This is also recorded off the "voice memo" function of my iphone. I did not exactly take a ton of time to make this perfect.

Gear is my Doheny going straight through the CE-2w into the new Princeton.

The strumming is in the "Standard Mode." Just good old fashioned 80's chorus. I wish you could hear the clarity better.

tjyfpprh71xdsyps40zz.jpg

The ringining struming where I use a whammy bar and archepeggio some is in the CE-1 chorus mode. Except the Waza doesn't have just one intensity knob, it's got the standard rate and depth knobs.

vw8fawd2cpfqbjzs26dn.jpg

The main riff (which I think is mostly clean on the original recording) is using the CE-1 vibrato mode. It kicks so much ass.

So, you could buy a vintage early 80's MIJ Boss CE-2 for $150 to $200+ and a vintage Boss Chorus Ensemble for no less than $450. Did I mention that this was the first Boss pedal ever made? And literally the first chorus pedal made...by anyone?

Alternatively, you can buy a pedal that combines all that good shit, is 100% analog, you can run in stereo, and is made by genius Japanese dudes who will commit seppuku before dishonoring their company with shitty tone. 

Here's the link. I promise better demos to come. I tried to use garage band but it picked up EVERYTHING (nylon pick hitting strings, me tapping my foot etc.)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, Thermos H. Christ said:

So I've ordered a used Durham Electronics Sex Drive.

imgrc0068480339.jpg

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I used to have one of the old big-box versions. It stayed on my board from the moment I got it until I sold it on Reverb. I was in the middle of a CHANGE-EVERYTHING-NEW-TOYZ!!!OMFG phase. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5056977

Here's some Smiths. Using in standard CE-2w mode (both knobs around 1 o'clock) and just a tiny bit of dirty boost from my new Gain Changer.

I think if I don't hold the phone so close to the amp it sounds a little better. Still pretty garbage. I need to go over to my friend James' place and mic shit up pro style and demo some stuff. He is a sound engineer and literally has a grammy, not to mention Chamillionaire is frequently chilling at his place.

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

So I've got a 2000 (year) Teese RMC3.  Sent it back for some work about 5 years ago and got the upgrades.  It sounds good and I've found a setting that keeps me fairly happy, but I hate having something that's overly tweakable.  I can set it, but I can't forget it. 

I have an old 90s Vox V847 that hasn't worked well in a while.  I was thinking about grabbing a drop in kit from Castledine.  Anybody tried one of those?  Used RMC10 also is an option. 

What's your favorite wah? 

• 2 weeks later...
And by the way, Roger Taylor is playing lights out drums WHILE singing fucking David Bowie's part. Can I get a fuckin' witness?
Watching that vid, it looks like Freddie is at 80%. Even so, you're watching that and it's like, man, that stage just isn't big enough for this band.
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 3:52 PM, Grandioso said:

And by the way, Roger Taylor is playing lights out drums WHILE singing fucking David Bowie's part. Can I get a fuckin' witness?

I was going to comment on that.  Taylor never gets the credit he deserves....especially vocally.   

One of my favorite Queen songs is "I'm In Love With My Car".  LOVE May's guitar work, but Roger's voice is perfect for this song.