Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

I've got mostly Fender Tweed types (4 of em) from 5e3 to Low Power Tweed Twin (5e8a) wit a Bassman and a Super in between.  Looking for an overdrive to stack with a Timmy.  Seriously considering a JHS Morning Glory.  Anyone have one and love it with a tweed?  I have a Barefoot Honeybee and Catalinbread SFR (great for turning the LPTT into an Ampeg for live Stones stuff).  But looking for something with flat mids to enhance the tweed or with Timmy into the tweed.

Since the football team sucks I had to partake in a little retail therapy. Picked up 2 pedals that will probably fix all that is wrong with my tone.

The Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro is a devastating pedal with all kinds of shit built in. As I get older and lamer I'm transitioning more from metal to blues in my playing, and my hope is that I can accomplish most, if not all, the metal tones I want in one box. Solid plan!

The Thorpyfx The Dane is a great sounding drive pedal with boost. Danish Pete is something of a YouTube celebrity, but his resume from the real world is quite impressive too. I dig him because he seems like a cool dude and his playing isn't bad either.

I ordered the pedal the moment it was released and the first batch have handwritten notes from Pete Honore on the inside of the casing. This is what was written in mine (serial number 10).

I don't feel any better about the football team. :(a67b3ab8cda8360b6da6f75bed456d38.jpg7c22e0d5893efd4c0fce9b98aeb5fba2.jpg
  • Like 1

The next pedal that's going to fix all that is wrong with my tone is one I've been on the waiting list for since October 2016. It seems the lead time is just at 2 years, so I'm due next month.

Does anyone here own or has anyone here played with an Analogman King of Tone? (If so, recommend me some build customization options beyond white casing, cause your boy is def getting that mamma jamma in white) I haven't played with one but the reviews are stellar and the thing is on some king ding-a-ling boards out in the wild. It goes for a $200 premium over retail, and I've come dangerously close to just pussying out and getting one off eBay.

The trials and tribulations I've endured during this 2-year wait should prove to you and me and my therapist that I do have self control. Maybe even the greatest self control of all time. Dunno.

The next pedal that's going to fix all that is wrong with my tone is one I've been on the waiting list for since October 2016. It seems the lead time is just at 2 years, so I'm due next month.

Does anyone here own or has anyone here played with an Analogman King of Tone? (If so, recommend me some build customization options beyond white casing, cause your boy is def getting that mamma jamma in white) I haven't played with one but the reviews are stellar and the thing is on some king ding-a-ling boards out in the wild. It goes for a $200 premium over retail, and I've come dangerously close to just pussying out and getting one off eBay.

The trials and tribulations I've endured during this 2-year wait should prove to you and me and my therapist that I do have self control. Maybe even the greatest self control of all time. Dunno.

Haven't played with the KOT, but I had a POT that I never could bond with. Boost was nice, but none of the OD blew me away in my setup, even after Messi g with the internal switches From what I have read, most people opt for the high gain on one side.

Have a Barber Gain Changer incoming to run in front of Timmy for my big Tweeds.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 7:53 AM, dcbc said:

Haven't played with the KOT, but I had a POT that I never could bond with. Boost was nice, but none of the OD blew me away in my setup, even after Messi g with the internal switches From what I have read, most people opt for the high gain on one side.

I think the KOT is a killer low- to medium-gain pedal.  Very transparent, and "transparent" is the key word, because you're still going to hear both your guitar and your amp.  

My KOT doesn't get stomped that much because 1) I love my amps, and 2) I have a couple of boost pedals that I really like (sex drive, sick as). 

I do love everything analogman does, though.  Their chorus, their delays, their clean boosts... they don't try to emulate nine different things with every box.  Each pedal just does one thing about as well as it can be done.  

Glad you're digging the Waza, BMF.

• Like 2

I don't have it.  I just think it's funny what the internet is doing today.

Side note, the Metal Zone has been experiencing a renaissance lately, even before the Waza version announcement by Boss, due in no small part to the Ola Englund video. Don't be surprised to see a Hallmark movie about how the MT-2 rose from the depths of internet scorn to golden child and savior of all humanity.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I think the KOT is a killer low- to medium-gain pedal.  Very transparent, and "transparent" is the key word, because you're still going to hear both your guitar and your amp.  

My KOT doesn't get stomped that much because 1) I love my amps, and 2) I have a couple of boost pedals that I really like (sex drive, sick as). 

My spot is due up next month.  These are exciting times we are living in.

• Like 1

Wow. I did not expect a Waza Metal Zone. And now they've put out a Waza pedal that is based on a pedal discontinued years ago.

dc-2w_main.jpg

Do not understand what this does.

Boss needs to bring back the Fender '63 reverb pedal. Those fuckers are going for $160 to over $200 on Reverb.

srttwxf7rmkp0h4wvgzf.jpg

The thing sounds fucking awesome. I would not be able to tell the difference between this and a genuine spring reverb tank.

• Like 1

Oh SNAP. I have the original Canyon that I use mostly for reverb, tap tempo dotted eigths for Floyd and U2, Memory Man style modulated delay, and reverse delay. It is so damn tweakable and does so much, I kept the manual on my amp with a pdf of it saved on my computer desktop for a couple weeks after buying the thing. And now, because EHX always has to make at least 2-3 different levels (mini, basic, and bananas) of every successful pedal they make, they made the Canyon crazier. And it's the same faceless dude who kicks nearly every demo off with a Floyd song.

So, Ryan Adams and Walrus Audio created a $300 boost pedal...

Which you can buy for an extra $15 in a limited edition PACKAGE that looks like a 1980's toy at Radio Shack...

.Package_Group_Cutout_500.jpg?v=153969600

Not to be confused with the $269.00 Volume/Chorus/Reverb Smiths-in-a-Box thing he created with JHS and looks like an early home video game consule...

ufnevfwlafsy7c0rlfmg.jpg

Or the "Flux Capacitor Delay," of which 50 were made and zero available on the used market. But the dude claims to be taking pre-orders for a second run, but hasn't updated his blog since 2015... or....

ipr7f9is8okszacg08am.jpg

The "Replicant" delay pedal, which seems to be a mash up between a faux tape echo and a Memory Man but with Blade Runner font. I'm not convinced this was made by a company that ever existed. or...

koyllaarzae4urfyyu4k.jpg

...Or this pedal, which I don't know what it does, and there is probably just one in the world, but it has a little mechanical mouse that steals your guitar pick while a cat looks on. It is clearly made for 40 year old children.

I kinda want all these.

Gettin' crazy with the overdubs! Goofed around with the Canyon's looper today. You can do some cool shit with just a guitar, amp, pedals, and an iPhone.

1) Drums - Isolated drum track off youtube, mic'ed from my phone into my guitar pickups

2) Bass - Guitar played an octave lower with treble rolled off

3) Guitar 1 - Boss Waza Chorus, medium speed/intensity, some Boss Waza delay timed to 1/8th notes

4) Guitar 2 - Chorus on a higher/warbly speed and more intensity, heavier delay

1) Guitar 1 - MXR Phase 90, Barber Gain Changer low gain setting at noon

2) Guitar 2 - Same as above with more treble

3) Guitar 3 - Boss Waza Blues Driver standard setting at 1-2 o'clock, medium delay 

4) Guitar 4 - Same as above

• Like 3

Messed around with this Ratatat song "Seventeen Years" last night. Drums recorded off of a midi type track. 

Guitar 1 - Swollen Pickle, scooped mids

Guitars 2 & 3 - Same thing, but with normal mids, treble roll off, and "crunch" turned way up.

Guitar 4 - Everything dimed

• Like 1

Hey, remember the 80's? Because I do. I present to you the ultimate pedalboard tribute to the 1980s. (Editor's Note: You could put a Boss pedal at every position. They OWNED 80's in terms of creativity, affordability, durability, and quality. But I wanted to keep this interesting so I didn't just make a list of Boss pedals.)

Here is your pedal chain:

boss-cs-1-compression-sustainer-pedal-xl

The 80's were all about compression. My favorite compressed tone, after Mark Knopfler's and a number of Nashville session guys, is the guitar in Billie Jean. It plays through the whole song but really stands out from 3:30 to 3:50. It's so perfectly compressed in this cheese kind of 80's way. You were hearing rackmount studio units on your favorite albums, but outside of the studio everyone swapped out their old dynacomp for a CS-1.

gn2jg8zmhdkbualphhlc.jpg

Here's your medium gain OD. No comentary needed.

ipoevjhoh9xmyvyxh7wq.jpg

And this right here is your high gain unit. How can you not love a RAT? It has always been cheap AF and it kinds of sounds cheap, but in a cool metal way. 

jt6fxyqsr2zq98lbt5ft.jpg

I'm not a flanger fan. To me it's just a phaser's ugly stepchild. But the 80's love it. MXR locked up the Flanging game when EVH and others took a fancy to it.

bnvgifdljdha9jpv2w0a.jpg

This is THE 80's pedal. They were putting chorus in every song in every genre. Boss made the best chorus pedal and everyone bought the Boss chorus because Boss was mass producing them and keeping them affordable. There was so much chorus going on in the 80's that Boss/Roland built into their goddamn amp. I'm sur it appeared to everyone that chorus would inevitably remain an eternal and indispensible effect like reverb. 

(Continued)

• Like 3

This is a modern pedal but damn that is some 80's shit. Y'all know what game that's from, right?

I posted this earlier - another modern pedal that pays incredible homage to the 80's. The synthesizer stepped on all the guitarist's toes in the 80's. Neil Young made an electronic music record! Remember? Basically metal, post-punk, and glam/hair bands had to carry the guitar torch until the guitar recaptured the throne. But now it's like fuck it, I'll just play synth on my guitar. 

gl5kp5oqblatyudscsi3.jpg

Like a lot of these pedals, the Memory Man came out in the late 70's but really took hold in the 80's. For analog delay, it was this and the DM-2. Maybe the Ibanez whatever that delay was. I picked the memory man because it had/has those cool modulations and you could do this stuff:

So that's your analog delay.

wfdnkagi7hpmeyhuyaqa.jpg

And this here's your digital delay. Ok, we get it BOSS, you're good at electronics. Sheesh! The was the first mass produced, compact digital delay. Feels like 1983, y'all. And despite the fact that companies are coming up with an obscene number of varieties and versions of digital delay pedals,  this thing fucking still sits on the pedalboard of Satriani, Clapton, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Brad Paisley, Tom Morello, Nels Cline, and a billion other people. And I don't mean that these guys use Boss digital delays generally, I mean those guys specifically still use DD-2's. If you counted the artists that use the later Mks, that's probably a large portion of the Earth's population.

And the final spot goes to...the generic multi-effects unit.  

cgqqdnom94a1ohrvyqlx.jpg

IMGP3086.JPG

Boss+ME-5.jpg

rul5yu4pmhuctdwsvpj6.jpg

How 80's is a kid saving up to buy a sweet multi-effects processor where he could tap around and cycle through? I remember when got my hands on a Zoom. I didn't learn how to do presets or read the manual like a pussy. I just kept stomping and let the next preset surprise me.  Also, it looked like something a pro would have on stage. That was a huge selling point. Remember back when you weren't way too fucking cool and concerned about your tone to play this one of these? They were fun AF. And do you notice what all those have in common?

Roland - Japan

Boss (division of Roland) - Japan

Ibanez - Japan

Korg - Japan

Yamaha - Need I go on?

So Japan gets an honorary spot on the roster. The 80's were all about that MIJ.

Japan-on-map.png?fit=860,608&ssl=1

Just kidding, but there is no doubt that they were light years ahead of us in developing anything electronic during the 80's. It was like we were trying to figure out the wheel and they were building Terminator 1000s.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone have a compressor they get good acoustic results with?

I have Wampler's Ego Compressor and it's next level. 

1) It can quack like a Dyna Comp but also be as suttle and smooth as a studio compressor. It covers every compression type/level I've ever needed.

2) The blend knob is everything. Can't believe Keeley didn't add one to their standard compressor until fairly recently. 

3) It's the quietest compressor I've ever played through. Makes other comps sound like giant hissing snakes when they're idle.

4) It can run from 9-18v, with 18v having a little bit louder & cleaner sound.

5) I'd never give up my standard version, but Wampler does make a mini version with less adjustable tone and attack. However, those are the two knobs I tweak the least on my standard. So I'm sure the mini is terrific - and costs about $70 less.

6) This is the compressor used by Brad Paisley and Brent Mason. That's almost all you need to know. 

I have never seen myself as much of a flanger or chorus user.  I've owned them---particularly the TC SCF, which I owned for 20 years.  But I sold it and haven't missed it much.  But I recently saw this and figured I could get some cool and varied sounds out of it.  They are out of production, but I was able to snag one the other day.  MusicLooking forward to it.

Edited by dcbc

Ok effects team. Our singer has a Taylor 714 and he desperately needs a decent acoustic di because he just tries to use the onboard preamp which doesn’t have enough juice. Inevitably the sound guy has to crank up the weak signal getting to the board resulting in a set full of feedback.

I’ve convinced his wife an acoustic di is a great Christmas gift.

What’s y’alls thoughts on a reasonably priced di that any idiot, er um, cowboy chord lead singer could use?

I’m thinking the LR Baggs one that’s about $150. Any other thoughts?

Radial makes a ton of DI shit. They have DIs for every occasion. Their stuff is top of the line but can get expensive. Although, I think they've become more competitively priced in the last few years.

http://www.radialeng.com/product_category/direct-box

Found one on Sweetwater specifically for acoustics and for $150.

• Like 1