2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

so, uh, i'm not a good fisherman. i know how to tie the knots, bait hooks, run a lure, but i'm never successful. 

but my son's 12th birthday is coming up and i'd like to surprise him with a local central texas fishing trip. no guide, just me, him, his little bro, and grandad. i'd like to rent a boat somewhere (was thinking travis, but i can be convinced otherwise) and take them out on the lake in the early morning. 

do yall anglers have any advice for me?

Got to be honest - Travis has been fairly slow as of late from all the reports I've seen.  Unless you have a good graph on your boat and you know how to video game fish, you might not do very well.  What day are you planning this trip?

The white/hybrids will eventually start moving up into the coves around Grelle / Muleshoe / Krause and that could make for a good day if you dont mind fishing minners.   The weather and the flood event has really been adding the level of fuckery on the highland lakes right now.  Even bank stomping my honey holes, I haven't landed a fish in my past three outings.  

I'm hopeful the prespawn fishing on Travis will be really good this year as the water temps rise (possibly earlier than normal this year)  If your trip isn't for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest the following lures:

- dragging a jig (boring as hell but will be productive around ledges, humps, dropoffs) 
- paddle tail swimbaits on a weighted swimbait hook
- lipless cranks and jerkbaits

• Like 1

In line with what the guy above me just said - Charles Whited is a central Texas guide (Barefoot Fishing Tours) and is an accomplished (very much so) local bass tournament angler.  Guy is always in the money.   If I wanted to go on a trip and guarantee I caught fish, that's who I would hire.  He charges 350 for 4 hours with 3 people on the boat + him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

My advice is if you suck at fishing, this trip will not be one to remember. Hire a Striper guy on Canyon or one of the other central Texas lakes so you can get some bent rods. 

my father in law is a good fisherman. i'm just trying to be the person who executes the trip, maybe catch a few fish for the boys. if i had the money, i'd take them down to the coast and hire a guide.

4 minutes ago, krevo said:

Got to be honest - Travis has been fairly slow as of late from all the reports I've seen.  Unless you have a good graph on your boat and you know how to video game fish, you might not do very well.  What day are you planning this trip?

The white/hybrids will eventually start moving up into the coves around Grelle / Muleshoe / Krause and that could make for a good day if you dont mind fishing minners.   The weather and the flood event has really been adding the level of fuckery on the highland lakes right now.  Even bank stomping my honey holes, I haven't landed a fish in my past three outings.  

I'm hopeful the prespawn fishing on Travis will be really good this year as the water temps rise (possibly earlier than normal this year)  If your trip isn't for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest the following lures:

- dragging a jig (boring as hell but will be productive around ledges, humps, dropoffs) 
- paddle tail swimbaits on a weighted swimbait hook
- lipless cranks and jerkbaits

thanks for the tips. looking at maybe next weekend - 16th or 17th...

13 minutes ago, krevo said:

In line with what the guy above me just said - Charles Whited is a central Texas guide (Barefoot Fishing Tours) and is an accomplished (very much so) local bass tournament angler.  Guy is always in the money.   If I wanted to go on a trip and guarantee I caught fish, that's who I would hire.  He charges 350 for 4 hours with 3 people on the boat + him.

my buddy goes with him occasionally and they murder them every time

also you could try:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml 

• Like 1

A guy on Facebook group that spends a lot of time on Travis posted the following:

Lake Travis is turning on. Lots of fish in the 2-3 pound range being caught right now with an occasional biggun in the mix. I’m heading to the backs of the creeks and finding them. Best baits were senko and spinnerbait.

Looks like they might already being moving up because of this weird 2 weeks of warmer temps.  He was already seeing some beds that were not occupied yet.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

So are we looking at an earlier than normal white bass run this year? I like to make one or two trips to Reimers each year, but I never quite seem to hit it at the peak. 

All the reports I've seen thus far were from the San Gabriel and they have been catching occasional males but no ladies yet.

• Like 2

That kid's going to love that trip, but why not hire a guide?  Would be money well spent if you can top off his birthday with fish on the line, and you can let the guide worry about the boat, spots to fish, etc.  Sounds like you have a great trip planned.  I'd shell out a little cash and try to ensure that the boys have some fish to show their mom.  Half a day's guiding service can't be too expensive.

And don't forget to post pictures here, too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

That kid's going to love that trip, but why not hire a guide?  Would be money well spent if you can top off his birthday with fish on the line, and you can let the guide worry about the boat, spots to fish, etc.  Sounds like you have a great trip planned.  I'd shell out a little cash and try to ensure that the boys have some fish to show their mom.  Half a day's guiding service can't be too expensive.

i think he indicated that if he had even half day guide money - he would take a trip to the coast.  I'm guessing he's trying to do it on the cheap - which is understandable.   I appreciate the whole "being out on the water with the boys regardless of how the day is going" though because I grew up hunting and fishing the old fashioned way and that meant it wasn't always productive.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

13 minutes ago, krevo said:

i think he indicated that if he had even half day guide money - he would take a trip to the coast.  I'm guessing he's trying to do it on the cheap - which is understandable.   I appreciate the whole "being out on the water with the boys regardless of how the day is going" though because I grew up hunting and fishing the old fashioned way and that meant it wasn't always productive.  

i've actually looked into the guide, and it's not as bad as i thought. i'm still mulling options, but we may also just fish at mabry, which recently stocked, thanks to @4th and 5's link.

i've taken them fishing and we've almost always gotten skunked, or just caught a few small perch, so they are used to the disappointment, as sad as that sounds. but man, they love the fishing part of it. 

i will say, no matter what, they are going ocean fishing this year as well. i'm keen to really build these childhood memories, as time is running out fast. he's turning 12? fuck.

When the weather warms up, you should start taking your kids fishing in some of the local creeks.  Onion Creek, Bull Creek, the San Gabriel, Brushy Creek . . . all have decent fishing.  Once you figure out what you are doing through some repetition, you wont get skunked, and exploring the creeks looking for new fishing holes is half the fun anyway.  My kids are younger but they love it -- I bring good snacks and act like anything they catch is a trophy (even tiny sunfish).  

1 hour ago, krevo said:

You're right- that's why a guy should read to the end of the thread before he posts.  Like I did not do this time...

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm keen to really build these childhood memories, as time is running out fast. he's turning 12? fuck.

If y'all ever find your way to Idaho, I would be more than happy to put you onto some nice trout. The years do indeed go by too quickly.

Best of luck on your next outing--hope you break the trend and come back with some excellent pics!

Not sure if any of ya'll took advantage - but Academy did their annual 50% the clearance price thing this past weekend.     Lot of lures, rods, reels, terminal tackle, and soft plastics for 98 cents after the 50% off.  They even had Rapala squarebills for 98 cents, which is pretty insane. 

On 2/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, hayden_horn said:

so, uh, i'm not a good fisherman. i know how to tie the knots, bait hooks, run a lure, but i'm never successful. 

but my son's 12th birthday is coming up and i'd like to surprise him with a local central texas fishing trip. no guide, just me, him, his little bro, and grandad. i'd like to rent a boat somewhere (was thinking travis, but i can be convinced otherwise) and take them out on the lake in the early morning. 

do yall anglers have any advice for me?

that's a lot of water to cover.  it's deep too so fish could be anywhere at any depth.

how much are you wanting to spend?  may be a better idea to spend that money on a guide on the coast.  you will at least have some food for all that money and time spent fishing.  your family will thank you for the fresh redfish.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, krevo said:

Not sure if any of ya'll took advantage - but Academy did their annual 50% the clearance price thing this past weekend.     Lot of lures, rods, reels, terminal tackle, and soft plastics for 98 cents after the 50% off.  They even had Rapala squarebills for 98 cents, which is pretty insane. 

This would have been good to know last week, now it’s just bragging....   

• Like 1

I had long talk with my Academy manager when I noticed they were condensing the Saltwater section. He said that corporate had decided that stores that weren’t within 50 miles of the coast would have less Saltwater options. So that sucks. I will probably write a strongly worded email soon.

I live in Houston and I've sadly started buying most of my stuff online, so I can't imagine how paltry the selection is if you don't even have the little we have here.  Even with FTU in my backyard, I can almost never find what I need.  I make 1-2 big orders from Bass Assassin a year for plastics and jig heads, and buy my braid (Seaguar Smackdown) from Tackle Warehouse or Tackle Direct.  I get all of my rods from Waterloo.  I have more Corkies than I'll ever use, but on occasion pick up a few Customs from Waterloo or Johnny's Sport Shop.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:11 AM, Dry Elbows said:

I live in Houston and I've sadly started buying most of my stuff online, so I can't imagine how paltry the selection is if you don't even have the little we have here.  Even with FTU in my backyard, I can almost never find what I need.  I make 1-2 big orders from Bass Assassin a year for plastics and jig heads, and buy my braid (Seaguar Smackdown) from Tackle Warehouse or Tackle Direct.  I get all of my rods from Waterloo.  I have more Corkies than I'll ever use, but on occasion pick up a few Customs from Waterloo or Johnny's Sport Shop.

What are your go-to rods from Waterloo? What reels do you use? I'm looking to diversify my rod and reel portfolio.  Got the bug real bad.

How many of you enjoy fishing alone?  I think I'm going by myself tomorrow to Sabine to work the LA shoreline.  I'm not being antisocial, but for some reason I've just got the urge to go by myself.

41 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

How many of you enjoy fishing alone?  I think I'm going by myself tomorrow to Sabine to work the LA shoreline.  I'm not being antisocial, but for some reason I've just got the urge to go by myself.

Sometimes its what you need.  Don't focus on numbers, just get in a groove and its a fairly meditative experience. 

The Academy’s I frequent in Houston area have been garbage for the last few years wrt tackle.  

Online or small town shops like Johnnies, POC rod and gun and especially Tackle town for me. I still hit FTU just because. Personally the 45 location has ALOT more of what I use than the 10 location.  I hadn’t been on the 45 one is years until recently and it was stocked. 

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

What are your go-to rods from Waterloo? What reels do you use? I'm looking to diversify my rod and reel portfolio.  Got the bug real bad.

The UltraMag is my go to rod from Waterloo.  Excellent for plastics and Corkies.  For reels, I really like the Team Lew's Lite and Shimano Chronarch G.

I fish alone a good bit; maybe 60-70% of the time.  This time of the year I am looking for one thing - big trout.  A lot of guys I fish with just don't have the patience or confidence to fish for that one bite. I'm an addict for the hard thump on a Fat Boy and ripping drag from a sow trout. 

• Like 2

i do most of my fishing alone, from a yak.  when i fish with others, i feel pressure to put them on fish.  i don't enjoy it.  also i leave austin @ 3am and fish until i get a limit, or until about 2 or 3pm.  i then make the 3 hour drive back to austin and get home around 5-6pm.  there aren't too many willing to make that long ass day trip. 

solo fishing is good for the soul.

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I wear a Waterloo cap just about every day, I have a Waterloo sticker on my boat, I have several rods (Slam Mag, Slam Mag 2, HP Lite, yada yada). 

I bought a Sarge Chaos a couple of weeks ago. I might be converting.....

On 2/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, BearSchlong said:

There’s pretty much nothing I would rather do in life than stand in a trout stream alone knowing no one is within several miles of me.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I wear a Waterloo cap just about every day, I have a Waterloo sticker on my boat, I have several rods (Slam Mag, Slam Mag 2, HP Lite, yada yada). 

I bought a Sarge Chaos a couple of weeks ago. I might be converting.....

What's better about it?  Jimmy may have some new rods coming out soon. At least one of them is very nice. 

13 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Who is Jimmy?

Also I had a wonderful time today by myself on Sabine lake and in the marsh. Nice day for a boat ride and solitude even though the fishing was slow.

Fresh water. . .

A fishing guide who builds rods  

Ive fished a few of them but they aren’t for me.  Loomis for me. Laguna as 1b. 

Got a call from a buddy last Thursday to fish Rockport Saturday. Plan was to fly fish, but as we were driving down Friday afternoon, the forecast changed to fog early and cooler temps. Figured we'd throw tops until then sun came out, then go sight fish for reds. Well, the sun never came out, so we ended up throwing plastics until about 2:30 in the fog and drizzle. I boxed two reds and broke off #3 trying to grab it by the leader and lift it into the boat. Also caught about 10 12" trout. All fish caught on the new ChickenBoy Whippin Chicken in Phantom purple/chart tail. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

man. that that stretch of water is considered some sort of mecca of fly fishing makes me want to punt a baby.

Just make friends with Neil Diamond and then you can fish on his stretch.  I bet there's some fucking hogs in those pools he has.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, Hook1997 said:

This would have been good to know last week, now it’s just bragging....   

It was still going on at most stores when I posted this.  They will put all the clearance inventory out in a small area of the store until it's completely gone.  Most of the rods/reels were shitty ass Lews combos and those H20 Express inshore rods.  Saw some guys were getting that 1500 dollar Perception Pilot pedal yak for half off of 800 dollars though, which is a pretty good deal for that boat.  

On February 20, 2019 at 8:09 AM, Mac8111 said:

Who you fishing with ?

Fished with Capt Will Granberry.  We had a goose hunt lined up with him in January.  No geese leading up to the hunt, so we cancelled and moved it to this.  

He called late Wednesday saying that he wade fished that day with a buddy and caught nada.  Zilch.  We decided to proceed with the wade fishing plan.  Same results.  Shitty misting, cold, windy weather.  One keeper trout between the three of us and two dinks that we threw back.  Tried Pringle, Long lake and a few other spots that I didn't recognize.  Even tried drifting on the way back with no results.  All soft plastics and topwaters.  Only think they hit was a pink Corky and a KWiggler Texas Roach.  Regardless, it was still nice to be out on the water.

Funniest part of the trip was at Froggie's when we got back.  We watched another guide unload nine reds that his group caught while they took their gear back to the truck.  Guide went inside while the fish were on the dock and a group of pelicans took some liberty and devoured three whole keeper reds before we could run over there and scare them off.  Those dudes were PISSED at the guide for losing 1/3 of their fish.