2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Got it to 2 ft of leader and intentionally broke it off.  Which is kinda lame.  should've tried to remove the hook, and make sure he was revived for relaunch. But still.

Eh, if it’s kicking fine and is swimming there is nothing wrong with cutting it off. It’s actually harder on the fish to try to hold them still at the boat to get the hook out.

• Like 1

Steven Rinella has a new fishing show.  Basically following a beater boat around the country.  Starts in Rockport, then Austin, then Florida, and who knows where else.  Great shows, some fish caught, stories told, conservation is highlighted.

I love his Meat Eater hunting shows.  This is just as good.  

Intro.

Rockport Ep1

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

Met Ed this summer at Ding Darling. We have several of his works in the house. I wonder when they shot that video? Fishing was horrible late spring and early summer, but has actually picked up quite a bit lately. The tarpon/snook bite was good all summer in Ding Darling and I actually took the kids out in Tarpon Bay a few weeks ago and caught a bunch of mangroves and trout. They were the first trout I’ve seen this year though.

This hurricane and the water releases that will follow are likely to hit it hard again. The freshwater has already pushed through San Carlos Bay just from the rains. It’s a bad deal. That area (especially Ding Darling and Tarpon Bay) is one of the best fisheries and nurseries anywhere around and it’s getting beat up by Florida’s piss poor water management.

I wasn’t on the boat for this trip, but my captain took Game Plan out for a day trip to the Perdido rig. They caught and released EIGHT blue marlin, shattering the daily record for Texas and likely the whole Gulf. We’ve got a few other records under our belts including most total billfish releases, but this one is crazy. To top it off these were not little rat blues, all fish estimated 450-650.

855-F0-B5-D-C5-E0-4-A69-94-C9-53-E280933

• Like 6

Got out in the surf Saturday morning at our place in Crystal Beach and the conditions were good.  No trout bite though.  I only tried live shrimp.  Caught some mullet and hard head.  Should have kept the mullet to cut up and use for sharks later in the day.  Saw some guys pulling in some nice blacktip.

Northwest wind all weekend, the ocean was like a bathtub.

I've got no idea what I'm doing here so here goes.

our son's high school started up a fishing club - part of the 'Faith Angler Network' here in Texas.  They have about 6-7 tournaments a year (3 in the fall, 3 in the spring, plus a championship event).  Seems like a great thing to get kids interested.  This is the 2nd year of the club and the parents who started this up have done a great job - the group started last year with 8 kids and has sprung up to 30 kids (high school and Jr High).

It's great to see, however, the problem is that the group only has 3 people with actual boats.  This means for any given tournament, only 6 kids get to go.  The whole concept is just weird/foreign to me in that it seems that the entire thought process is just 'ask for volunteers to captain a boat'.  I'm certainly not in a position to go buy a boat so asking you guys if you have any ideas where we should look for volunteers.  I ask I'd hate to see the kids become disinterested due to lack of opportunities.

30 minutes ago, hacker said:

our son's high school started up a fishing club - part of the 'Faith Angler Network' here in Texas.  They have about 6-7 tournaments a year (3 in the fall, 3 in the spring, plus a championship event).  Seems like a great thing to get kids interested.  This is the 2nd year of the club and the parents who started this up have done a great job - the group started last year with 8 kids and has sprung up to 30 kids (high school and Jr High).

It's great to see, however, the problem is that the group only has 3 people with actual boats.  This means for any given tournament, only 6 kids get to go.  The whole concept is just weird/foreign to me in that it seems that the entire thought process is just 'ask for volunteers to captain a boat'.  I'm certainly not in a position to go buy a boat so asking you guys if you have any ideas where we should look for volunteers.  I ask I'd hate to see the kids become disinterested due to lack of opportunities.

kayak is your friend.  ask for people to donate kayaks for the day, but make the kids sign a waiver so if they fall off and drown, the owners don't get sued.

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

kayak is your friend.  ask for people to donate kayaks for the day, but make the kids sign a waiver so if they fall off and drown, the owners don't get sued.

Hard to fish a tournament on a larger lake out of a kayak.   I would have the kids hitting up local tackle stores, boat dealers etc asking for contacts.  Also look at local bass clubs.     FWIW, for practice and such, me and a buddy bass fished at whole lot out of 14' jon boats when were in high school, including slaying a lot of bass on Fork when it was filling up.  

We have a 12 acre lake on our property and the local school has a UIL bass fishing team.  They come out to our place a couple of times a year to fish and have a mini tournament from the shore.  Try to find something like this in your area.  Look on google maps and see if you can find some private water and then track down the landowners.  We generally have a hard time turning down a kid asking to fish.

My dad and I went to Alaska August 29 - today.  We spent Saturday and Sunday driving around and touring the Denali area.  On Monday, we drove down to Seward and went fishing Tuesday.  There were storms offshore and we couldn't go to the preferred charter spot.  We drove 50-60 miles east of Resurrection Bay and fished in coves where the water was calmer.  It was at least 6-8' seas in the ocean.  We were in a six-pack, it was rough.  But anyway, the guy on the left caught the biggest halibut, I caught the second biggest, and my dad caught the third biggest.  All six people on the boat caught their over 28" and under.

spacer.png

We then drove to Soldotna and tried wade fishing on Wednesday in the Kenai River, but no luck.

spacer.png

On Thursday, we had a boat guide and had a little better luck on silvers.

spacer.png

Since the salmon fishing was slow, we went back to Seward on Friday.  The seas were like glass.  We went 50 miles out.

spacer.png

We caught our halibut and went to another spot and jigged for yellow eyes and lingcod.

spacer.png

There were 10 people on the boat. We caught 19 halibut, 10 lingcod, and 4 yellow eyes.

spacer.png

Had another guided boat trip on Saturday, but no luck.  It was also cold and raining, so it was pretty miserable that day.

Overall, it was an awesome trip!

Edited by retsevlys
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

@retsevlys that looks like a good trip. One of my best friends works construction down here and then guides in Soldotna in the summertime.  He's always texting me pics like yours, usually when I'm in a boring meeting at work.

Where did you stay?

In Soldotna at RW's Big Eddy Fishing Camp.  Harbor 360 hotel in Seward.  Our two guides were from Oregon and Anchorage(not sure where originally).  Seward was Pro Fish 'N Sea charters.  Captain was from Minnesota.

• Like 1

I'll add that the lingcod/yellow eye fishing was pretty intense.  We were targeting lingcod, which had to be 36"  We caught about 20 fish in 10 minutes in the 14 we kept and several lingcod that were undersized.  The captain told the deckhand "You wanted chaos, here it is."

Before we started targeting lingcod, a guy from Chicago caught one while we were targeting halibut.  We were all like holy crap, WTF is that!

56 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They are here in the gulf, too.  Saw one caught last weekend with some snapper out of port Isabel.

? We don’t have either lingcod or yellow eyes in the gulf. We’ve got yellow edge grouper, ling/cobia and about 5 other kinds of snapper that are red - silky, queen, vermillion, cubera, dog and I’m probably missing some. but what they were catching up there is a Pacific water fish only.

46 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Must have been a ling, it was brown/blackish not red, but the guy called it a ling cod.  That’s what I get for listening to drunk guys at the fish cleaning station.

That’s a ling. Or Cobia. Or lemonfish. Or crabeater. Depending on where you are standing. 

May have just been an old salty dog talking - “that’s a helluva ling, cod.”

37 minutes ago, retsevlys said:

When I was trying to figure out whether lingcod was any good to eat(I figured it was cod), I found out that it is neither ling, nor cod.  It simply resembles the two fishes. It's a species on its own and is apparently delicious and ridiculously fun to catch.

It’s a type of rockfish.  

20 hours ago, hacker said:

Not sure where you're at, but on the Gulf Coast there is an organization called Hook Spit Junior Angler Association (www.hsjaa.com).  They have several tournaments through the year.  I'm pretty sure guides volunteer their time/boat for those who do not have boats.  May want to reach out to them and see how they do it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hacker said:

I’m with you in that the whole thought process seems weird. I briefly scanned the website and it appears they sort of want to put on full-on bass tournaments, without access to nearly enough boats.

to me this isn’t the way to get kids interested and hooked on fishing, but it appears that really isn’t the purpose either.

I’d have all kinds of ideas if this was land based, which is where I and probably most of us learned and did 99% of our fishing as kids. You learn how to actually fish that way, sort of like walking a golf course an be very helpful.

Not sure where you're at, but on the Gulf Coast there is an organization called Hook Spit Junior Angler Association (www.hsjaa.com).  They have several tournaments through the year.  I'm pretty sure guides volunteer their time/boat for those who do not have boats.  May want to reach out to them and see how they do it.
yes. do this. a friend of mine volunteers to help out. his kid is one of the kids, but he also helps other kids... most of their fishing is on land due to lack of boats / number of kids, and safety.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, hacker said:

I captained my son through high school in this same club in Round Rock and occasionally we were short boats. I imagine your not in central Texas since faith angler seems to be established here, but we would hit up the Keep Austin Fishing Facebook page when short on captains and they always stepped up. There are a lot of different fishing forums out there that you could also try.  What area are you in?

Ok really, what hs in the Austin area is this? Dude I started fishing at about age 4 with a bobber, hook, and whatever worms or crickets we could round up. I don’t think I ever saw a boat until about age 13, and then it was to go offshore once or twice a year, on party boats in Port A and twice charters in Cabo. I spent almost 1/2 of every summer in Rockport or port A fishing whatever pier or bulkhead I could find. In college I’d take off after dinner and hit Town Lake or usually Lake Austin a few times a month casting bass plugs in whatever area I could get to that looked fishy. I learned a ton about how to find fish and then get them to eat.

sorry if I’m coming across as an asshole, but you aren’t teaching kids how to fish doing this. They are taking a boat ride and then learning how to cast and reel. What are they going to do after this program is over and nobody is taking them fishing on a boat for free and nobody they know has a boat?

Heck, save up whatever money is being spent on this and use it to get them down to PINS for one weekend in October. They’ll all have a blast and probably learn something in the process.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, retsevlys said:

When I was trying to figure out whether lingcod was any good to eat(I figured it was cod), I found out that it is neither ling, nor cod.  It simply resembles the two fishes. It's a species on its own and is apparently delicious and ridiculously fun to catch.

skip to 10:33 for the finished lingcod sushi.  lingcod is supposedly f'ing delicious to eat.  never had it, would love to try.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Ok really, what hs in the Austin area is this? Dude I started fishing at about age 4 with a bobber, hook, and whatever worms or crickets we could round up. I don’t think I ever saw a boat until about age 13, and then it was to go offshore once or twice a year, on party boats in Port A and twice charters in Cabo. I spent almost 1/2 of every summer in Rockport or port A fishing whatever pier or bulkhead I could find. In college I’d take off after dinner and hit Town Lake or usually Lake Austin a few times a month casting bass plugs in whatever area I could get to that looked fishy. I learned a ton about how to find fish and then get them to eat.

sorry if I’m coming across as an asshole, but you aren’t teaching kids how to fish doing this. They are taking a boat ride and then learning how to cast and reel. What are they going to do after this program is over and nobody is taking them fishing on a boat for free and nobody they know has a boat?

Heck, save up whatever money is being spent on this and use it to get them down to PINS for one weekend in October. They’ll all have a blast and probably learn something in the process.

It's Hays HS  - it's not an issue of teaching kids to fish.  Let me try and clarify.

it's a club so therefore not school sponsored - the group has 20-30 kids.  We meet 3-4 times a month at various ponds in our area for fishing 'practice'.   This is all bank fishing in community lakes, mostly bass, but it's more about the kids and learning from each other (favorite lures, techniques, etc).  We do some other stuff like visiting fish hatcheries and volunteering for the Lion's Club at their annual event.

The FAN stuff is actual tournaments on the area lakes such as Lake Travis and Canyon Lake - a HS version of Bass Masters.   Typically, there are anywhere from 20-40 2-man teams at each event.   This is the part where we have our growing pains.  The parents/families only have 3 or 4 boats max.  So of the 30 kids, only 6-8 can actually go to a tournament.  It may not be a big issue - it was spelled out when the kids signed up that everyone was on their own when it came to tournaments, meaning you had to have your own boat/team lined up if you want to participate in the tournaments.  I'm just looking for ideas to present to parents of kids who don't have a boat or know anyone who does.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, hacker said:

It's Hays HS  - it's not an issue of teaching kids to fish.  Let me try and clarify.

it's a club so therefore not school sponsored - the group has 20-30 kids.  We meet 3-4 times a month at various ponds in our area for fishing 'practice'.   This is all bank fishing in community lakes, mostly bass, but it's more about the kids and learning from each other (favorite lures, techniques, etc).  We do some other stuff like visiting fish hatcheries and volunteering for the Lion's Club at their annual event.

The FAN stuff is actual tournaments on the area lakes such as Lake Travis and Canyon Lake - a HS version of Bass Masters.   Typically, there are anywhere from 20-40 2-man teams at each event.   This is the part where we have our growing pains.  The parents/families only have 3 or 4 boats max.  So of the 30 kids, only 6-8 can actually go to a tournament.  It may not be a big issue - it was spelled out when the kids signed up that everyone was on their own when it came to tournaments, meaning you had to have your own boat/team lined up if you want to participate in the tournaments.  I'm just looking for ideas to present to parents of kids who don't have a boat or know anyone who does.  

why not put up volunteers wanted signs at the boat ramps (or even have the kids out there occasionally soliciting volunteers)? all sorts of retired dudes that fish those lakes 4 or 5 times a week, seems like they'd be all over that.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:09 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Must have been a ling, it was brown/blackish not red, but the guy called it a ling cod.  That’s what I get for listening to drunk guys at the fish cleaning station.

He was probably calling you Cod.  Like, "It's a ling, Cod."  I knew a guy who called people cod.

Edit:  Looks like Fatty covered this already.  Sorry, Cod.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection