2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed with all of the above. "No fishing" and "no ramp access" policies are inscrutable, especially in a time like this, when people need an outlet more than ever.

It has nothing to do with that. Those policies (and the beach closure and the rental bans) are in place to keep tourists from San Antonio or wherever from coming down here and treating this shutdown as a vacation. We have one grocery store here in Port A so we don’t need extra people coming down and stocking up on food and fucking toilet paper and taking it back to wherever they live. That was happening all of last week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

It has nothing to do with that. Those policies (and the beach closure and the rental bans) are in place to keep tourists from San Antonio or wherever from coming down here and treating this shutdown as a vacation. We have one grocery store here in Port A so we don’t need extra people coming down and stocking up on food and fucking toilet paper and taking it back to wherever they live. That was happening all of last week.

I heard the same about Matagorda, the county made that decision, partly for the reasons you gave and partly to keep their employees safe.  There are private ramps still open that the “public” can use.  

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Ah, OK. That makes much more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

So if you're local or live nearby, you probably know well enough where to go that'll put you on the water?

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

I guess we are so used to stupid, aimless public policy that we auto assumed this was another example. What you describe makes perfect sense. Good on the local government to address the safety and well being of it's citizens.

Yeah we have surprisingly competent government at the county and city level. Hurricane Harvey taught them some lessons. There are still a few places you can go fish from shore and a few boat ramps “open” too. As long as people don’t abuse it it shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

I texted with the lady that owns the little place I stay in Seadrift. She's officially closed, but told me she'd let me stay since I'm a regular. Bubba's is closed, the Mexican place and the Shack are take out only. The public harbor is closed, but she didn't know about Charlie's or Swan Point. The forecast looks bangin Tuesday, and next Friday and Saturday look pretty great, too. 2 confirmed cases in Port Lavaca, and 4 in Victoria according to her. If there's a ramp open, I might just get up ass early and drive down Tuesday morning and fish and go home. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, fattyflattie said:

Friend fished Matagorda yesterday. Need to find out where he launched. Plan was the harbor. 

Folks are launching at River Bend and Rawlings around Matagorda.  Pretty sure you can still launch at Charlie's, Crab Trap, or the ICW around Sargent.

1 hour ago, Dry Elbows said:

Folks are launching at River Bend and Rawlings around Matagorda.  Pretty sure you can still launch at Charlie's, Crab Trap, or the ICW around Sargent.

I figured the private ramps would be open, too many people need to get to their houses and whatnot.  I'm pretty set with private ramps from Matagorda to Aransas Pass.  My biggest issue is getting out of the house.  Watching the kids 24/7 now makes the wife a bit less enthusiastic about letting me out of the house to fuck off. So, I'll be living thru y'all for awhile longer. 

Is it too cold to wet wade Galveston west bay right now? I don’t have any waders but I have zip boots and a bathing suit and a gut like a walrus. Plus I only take ice cold showers. I’m just not experienced in the bay so I thought I would ask. 

3 hours ago, Caddox said:

Is it too cold to wet wade Galveston west bay right now? I don’t have any waders but I have zip boots and a bathing suit and a gut like a walrus. Plus I only take ice cold showers. I’m just not experienced in the bay so I thought I would ask. 

Water temp is about 75* right now, but should drop some with this mild front. It will be on the chilly side early or if there’s cloud cover.

Edited by Dry Elbows
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Caddox said:

Should be fine.  I'm usually wet-wading by mid-April, and this winter was mild.  That first dunk is going to be nice and cool tho.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, Dry Elbows said:

Fortunately, I'm sequestered and working from my house on a canal.

This.  This is what I need.

Stupid question, but How do you keep braid from snagging itself creating backlashes?

I spooled up some 30# spiderwire to go fish some swampy heavy vegetation ponds and I can't cast it worth a shit. Using an abu garcia black max on a heavy med fast 7ft pole  
My other black max has no issues throwing 12# mono 

48 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Stupid question, but How do you keep braid from snagging itself creating backlashes?

I spooled up some 30# spiderwire to go fish some swampy heavy vegetation ponds and I can't cast it worth a shit. Using an abu garcia black max on a heavy med fast 7ft pole  
My other black max has no issues throwing 12# mono 

There are a couple of tricks to spooling braid.  These tips are assuming you're using a baitcasting reel.  First, you need to use a bit of mono backing (just enough to cover the spool) or wrap the spool with some electric tape.  Both of these keep the braid (which is slick) from slipping on the spool.  Next, braid needs to be spooled "tight."  So after you fill your spool, go somewhere with enough space, tie the end of your line to something, walk it out, and reel back in with your rod bowed up.  I normally tie a loop and drop over my receiver hitch.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, Dry Elbows said:

@fattyflattieI hear ya about needing to get out of the house.  Fortunately, I'm sequestered and working from my house on a canal.  So if conditions are right and I need to get out, I can walk downstairs and hit a switch.

This is how I want to live.  Seriously reconsidering my housing situation post COVID-19.  I've had this before and I miss it like crazy.

Played hooky this morning and took my 20 yr old daughter and 75 year old dad fishing at Keith lake, slaughtered the Reds, Specks, and Black Drum.  Could have kept 3 limits of slot reds and 17" specks but didn't want to be greedy, just took 3 reds and 5 trout to get some meat to immediate family.

No mention of our ramps being closed.  Sunday I put in on the Neches at the salt water barrier and ran upriver for about an hour, almost to Evadale, just enjoying a boat ride.  On my way downriver I passed a sand bar in North Orange County with what looked to be a half dozen families barbecuing and letting the kids play in the river, and a bunch of HS aged guys playing beer pong.  5 minutes downriver I passed a game warden headed upriver - would have loved to see if he directed them to disperse or handed out tickets.  Saw a different game warden in the big boat patrolling the river by the country club/Collier Ferry park, so they were out keeping an eye on things.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

lol that's where I caught all my fish today.  Almost ashamed I didn't put forth more effort, but if that's where the fish are. . .

OK, shit's getting real.  I just talked to my SE and his buddy went fishing at SPI. . .and received a citation.

redacted ticket.jpg

Did they get that for fishing the surf? 

We fished POC today. Had nothing going on until about 6pm then we got into some decent trout and I also found 27” red. Only stopped because we ran out of daylight. Put the boat back in the trailer at 8:15.

(Wet waded by the way. Wasn’t bad. Wasn’t going in over waist deep water)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

lol that's where I caught all my fish today.  Almost ashamed I didn't put forth more effort, but if that's where the fish are. . .

OK, shit's getting real.  I just talked to my SE and his buddy went fishing at SPI. . .and received a citation.

redacted ticket.jpg

17 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Unsure, I'll try to find out.

Please let me know what the circumstances were. I have a place down there on the island.

Thanks

3 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Did you hear back?

unfortunately not, my buddy has a tenuous relationship with reality.  Hell, for all I know he photoshopped it.  Untreated alcoholism is a bitch.

I do have friends who are going to SW LA to fish Sabine/Big Lake. . .Texas DPS is letting them back in the state at the causeway bridge, but they are being told they can't re-enter LA for 14 days.  There's a form they are making people fill out.  But all in all DPS is pretty sympathetic to local anglers.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

unfortunately not, my buddy has a tenuous relationship with reality.  Hell, for all I know he photoshopped it.  Untreated alcoholism is a bitch.

I do have friends who are going to SW LA to fish Sabine/Big Lake. . .Texas DPS is letting them back in the state at the causeway bridge, but they are being told they can't re-enter LA for 14 days.  There's a form they are making people fill out.  But all in all DPS is pretty sympathetic to local anglers.

I ran into a warden at the convenience store and cornered him with a bunch of questions in the parking lot. He said the state parks were closing so a lot of his typical shoreline was being nullified. I told him fishing was a huge freedom for me that I didnt want to lose and he said thats great I just better have the right fish sizes too bc hes bored as well and is out doing his job. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:31 AM, Caddox said:

Yea Ive completely stripped, cleaned, oiled, lubed, respooled, and tuned 5 reels. Feels great. Learned some new knots too. 

Did you ever make it out to WGB?  I went yesterday for 6-7 hours.  Only caught 3 flounder.  Water is still 70-71*, so I was sporting waders.  Not sure where the trout are, haven't been able to find them for a while.  But my neighbor took his kids out with live shrimp and didn't get any, so that makes me feel somewhat better. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

Did you ever make it out to WGB?  I went yesterday for 6-7 hours.  Only caught 3 flounder.  Water is still 70-71*, so I was sporting waders.  Not sure where the trout are, haven't been able to find them for a while.  But my neighbor took his kids out with live shrimp and didn't get any, so that makes me feel somewhat better. 

Ive been kayak fishing the canals in Pirate's where Im staying. Its a shitty kayak though. My best night I caught 3 dinks, 2 keepers (one 20'') and two rat reds. I've caught a lot of nice trout under the lights with a silver spoon. 

I went up to Greens lake in a buddies boat and caught two nice keeper flounder and my buddy caught a 27'' bull red. Really fun even though it was windy as shit. 

I think my plan is to take the kayak over to the state park and wet wade around there. I wanna check out SLP for wet wading too. Will probably hit sportsman road too. Im gonna hit up Fishing Tackle unlimited to get some essentials. Trying to decide if Im gonna buy wading boots or shoes. Simms and Orvis have some really cool looking shoe options. Input from the thread would be welcomed here. 

I think FTU is closed right now.  I've heard good things about the Simms Flats Sneaker.  I wear the VaporTread, but they don't make them anymore.  What other essentials are you looking for?  Happy to provide suggestions. 

I may hit SLP soon.  Just have to be dedicated to the cause, as it's a pretty long run from Tiki. 

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

I wanna check out SLP for wet wading too.

Use caution.  Dangerous place to wade. 

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

Trying to decide if Im gonna buy wading boots or shoes. Simms and Orvis have some really cool looking shoe options.

Interested if anyone has opinions on this. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Simms boots. Not to say they aren’t ok, but they appear to come out of the same factory as every single pair of wading boots I’ve ever had.  Haven’t put my hands on the orvis ones, but they look really good online.  My last pair of “shimano” boots lasted about 10 years, but I don’t get into too many reefs. 

52 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I think FTU is closed right now.  I've heard good things about the Simms Flats Sneaker.  I wear the VaporTread, but they don't make them anymore.  What other essentials are you looking for?  Happy to provide suggestions. 

I may hit SLP soon.  Just have to be dedicated to the cause, as it's a pretty long run from Tiki. 

Whats your favorite poppin cork setup?

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Use caution.  Dangerous place to wade. 

Interested if anyone has opinions on this. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Simms boots. Not to say they aren’t ok, but they appear to come out of the same factory as every single pair of wading boots I’ve ever had.  Haven’t put my hands on the orvis ones, but they look really good online.  My last pair of “shimano” boots lasted about 10 years, but I don’t get into too many reefs. 

If you fish over a lot of shell and oyster reef, the Patagonia River Salt boots are awesome...spendy, though. 

• Like 1