2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

On 5/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, Masshole Horn said:

These are saltwater fish. I’m targeting them a little bit upstream from the mouth of a tidal river.

I don’t do a lot of true surf fishing. I need to find some more reliable spots near me. I do have a few spots in some of the smaller bays and coves where I’ve had decent luck.

I also have a new 10wt rod coming in to punch those flies a little further to cover more ground.

What rod did you go with?

19 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Didn't we PM about this on the old site? I'm friends with his cousin. I haven't been to the new place yet, but that outhouse has saved me a couple times. 

Ha!  Yes we did.  Good memory.  I forgot about that.  The old place was fine, but this one is a whole different level.  

29 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Ha!  Yes we did.  Good memory.  I forgot about that.  The old place was fine, but this one is a whole different level.  

I remember getting eaten alive by mosquitoes filling the generator at 2:00 AM to get the window unit going again at the old place.  

Had a first last night wade fishing for Tarpon and reds. Hooked a decent Jack probably 20 feet in front of me. It shot straight towards me and through my legs and proceeded to tie my legs up before I knew what was going on. The back treble on the top water lure embedded in the pull loop on the back of my shoe which was definitely a better option than my ankle. Damn Jacks fight like crazy and he was ready to go so he started flopping around against my ankles until everything was nice and tightly wound. Finally got the loop cut off, cut the line, and got him unhooked while only sustaining minor cuts which I was quite thankful for and getting soaked. I’m sure the passing people were quite entertained.

• Like 2

Spent the last couple days drifting the north Platte, gray reef section in Wyoming. Just crushed them on flies, nymphs only. But 10-15 trout each day for me and my buddy all 18”+. Some beautiful and very productive fishing up there. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 1:27 PM, Storm the Field said:

One nice part of not having much going on at work these days: Dad and I are gonna head out to either Keith Lake or Sabine tomorrow morning. Conditions should be close to ideal. Low 70's and calm around sunup. Wind isn't supposed to pick up til lunchtime. 

Didn't suck. Ended up with a fairy easy 2-man limit at Keith. On the water at 6:45, done by 9:30.

nvgUs64.jpg?1

Most were right at '15 or '16, biggest was '17, but all had been eating well. Threw back probably 7 or 8 that just were just barely shy of '15.  

• Like 1

Par for the course at Keith.

Ok I'm almost embarrassed to ask this because of my upbringing on East Bay but I havent fished there in 20 years. Sabine/SW LA is my turf.

What are the best ramps on Bolivar? Stingaree and what else?

What should be my go to sports in East bay? Moody's? Big Pasture? Shoreline?

For years, all I had to do was flip a switch on the boat lift at Bolivar Yacht Basin and haul ass to North Jetty, or Hannas.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, Mac8111 said:

We did Baffin floating cabin trip. Weather was an absolute ass kicker. We were out there Friday night when that bad storm hit. Shit hit the fan. Craziest weather I have been a part of. Wind spun the cabin around every direction. Pulled the cleat that one of the boats was tied to. Thankfully it was tied to the post as well. The house next to us was on pier and beam and their boat was tied to the dock and got swamped.

Caught some fish here and there but high winds made it tough to get to some areas. Still better than working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you may have been close to my coworker.  He said the back end of guys boat next to them got swamped and they helped him bail it out.  He caught a ton of fish, but they stayed until Tuesday. Pic of their pier and boat for reference.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 2

Our neighbors were large group of young guys with two JH boats. One ended up towing the other. I don’t think it is same group.

Glad they got into fish. We definitely got a raw deal on wind.

32 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Our neighbors were large group of young guys with two JH boats. One ended up towing the other. I don’t think it is same group.

Glad they got into fish. We definitely got a raw deal on wind.

Yeah that wasn’t them, you were probably farther north.  I think theirs is like the fourth cabin from the south end of the land cut.  

Would never eat anything from the Anacostia river by my house and I no longer like to fish, but I can usually spot snakeheads pretty easily and know where some like to hang out.  This guy wasn't having much luck and I showed him where what I thought was a large carp, had just swam past.  He cast and not a few seconds later hit this ugly devil.  There's several more that I see nightly about 15 feet over.  Showed his buddy but assume he didn't catch them since I saw several the following evenings.  They hang out by the docks in about a little more than a foot and a half deep of water  They're real still and rise to breath and then sink again.    

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATE0YT

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATE0YT

Edited by Mdhorn

On 5/21/2020 at 2:25 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I think you may have been close to my coworker.  He said the back end of guys boat next to them got swamped and they helped him bail it out.  He caught a ton of fish, but they stayed until Tuesday. Pic of their pier and boat for reference.

spacer.png

That’s a great photo 

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The boy and I just checked into our hotel in Harlingen. Fishing out of Arroyo City the next 3 days. I'm "Working from the boat" the rest of the week. Tomorrow looks perfect. Thursday might get a little breezy, and Friday looks pretty good. Stay tuned...

i see many whitecaps in your future.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, Mac8111 said:

When the wind is blowing 40 mph, you don’t have to worry about skeeters.

Unfortunately you don't have to worry about fishing either because the bays will be the color of yoohoo. I've never done well on windy days.

8 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i see many whitecaps in your future.

Slick this morning, but whitecaps by 12:30. Had a bull drum follow his fly to the boat but didn’t eat. 30 lb fish, easy. Saw a nice trout, probably mid 20” fish, and he geeked out and couldn’t get a fly to it and finally lined it. The burger at chili willie’s was on point. Pretty sure they put heroin in them. 

• Like 2

Speaking of pics I was scanning some really old family pics and came across a photo of my great-great grandfather fishing off a causeway in the 1920s.  This would have been somewhere in the Houston/Galveston area as that's where my great grandpa was living at the time.  His name was Charles Pickens McWhirter.

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is one hell of a cane pole.

Calcutta cane.  Dad has one about 16' long that he uses to thrash pecans out of his trees.  He like to tell a story of going fishing offshore out of Freeport in the '60s for snapper and grouper and one trip the captain of the boat had several calcutta cane poles tied down to the roof.  They anchor up on a rock not too far out and the captain got down the cane poles and would bait them up with a pinfish  and tell them to just let the bait swim barely under the surface.  King mackerel on a cane pole and 12' of line was pretty fun he said.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is one hell of a cane pole.

That’s what she said he said. Sexual preference check on aisle 1 please. @NowThis

they used to used those damned cane poles fishing for tuna. I need to go look back and find some videos.

Edited by justhookit

If you want to have some fun get a couple hundred feet of paracord, put it on an extension cord spool, connect it to a heavy fishing  weight, then some 200 pound mono with an extra large circle hook. Hook up a live blue runner or similar and drop it at the rig. 

You’ll want to have a good pair of gloves, be standing by a cleat and have the captain ready at the helm. 

Feel the hook up, cleat it, drag away from rig and get it on.

12 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

If you want to have some fun get a couple hundred feet of paracord, put it on an extension cord spool, connect it to a heavy fishing  weight, then some 200 pound mono with an extra large circle hook. Hook up a live blue runner or similar and drop it at the rig. 

You’ll want to have a good pair of gloves, be standing by a cleat and have the captain ready at the helm. 

Feel the hook up, cleat it, drag away from rig and get it on.

On those say trips dad went on, they would set a few handlines at night when the boat was anchored up.  They would use  1/4" rope, 8' of small chain and a hook the size of a gaff, baited with half of a bonita.  Not very sporting of course but they caught some big fish.

jg-warsaw.jpg

• Like 2

Just Got back from Chandeleur trip. Just a fantastic place. We fished hard for 3 days and caught some fish and a great time. Fishing was solid but we had to grind it out to get them. The sharks were plentiful mostly 3-4 foot blacktips but on one afternoon wade a large bull shark swam about 10 foot away from me. Looked like a submarine. Finished up my wade pretty quickly. d5ce5464d43b507fb6cc615af2712210.jpg

faed599f1aad266ace76bf4481ab9b88.jpg

82dffa51c020379cb91fe7cf7314cc1d.jpg

c5332bec2fd823a33b6bd4ac0ddba7ae.jpg

f04fd097cd020f4b43b7901dbc0ebfc5.jpg

ea6d7bc5cca44904e3fd46ac58db8d17.jpg

9952bd02618157e642c0f4c6744d7303.jpg

aac22989eaaa020b7f9a13e6f28e64e1.jpg

77d6b96f54caaa780a91d9b860d4fd92.jpg

• Like 7