2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

nailed the salmonfly hatch a couple of days back. 25% of the time it works every time.
gunny20bow.jpg

gunny20brown.jpg

gunnybowbow.jpg
if any of y'all are inclined to do a trout trip in the rockies, the gunnison is a pretty special place. the fish are easily the strongest i've encountered in colorado and it isn't even close. and the bug hatches are ridiculous. we watched 4 different hatches come off simultaneously (salmonflies, yellow sallies, caddis and PMDs), any one of which would have been a monster hatch...and they were all popping at the same time. it's unreal.

One of my favorite places on earth.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Was hoping for some Sunday afternoon Texas....er federal snapper pics (TWSS)

Ha. It’s been good from people I’ve talked to. But honestly the state water fishing has gotten so good that it’s hard to go from 4 to 2.(TWSS)

today I think a bunch of people got scared off from the swells rolling in from the storm. They shouldn’t have. Friday/Saturday the number of boats out was nuts.

23 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

OK looking for recs out of Galveston.  Staying in Point West.  Tried the search function.  

4 of us and need for Hatteras type boat.  Probably half day and no preference on fish.  

If you're staying at Pointe West, it's going to be a lot closer to go to Freeport or Surfside.

• Like 1

Hackberry is running a screaming good deal right now if you like Calcasieu.  3 people for $870.  Runs to July.  Meals, lodging, drinks, artificial bait and 8 hour guided fishing trip.

Was there a couple weeks ago and pounded them.  Flounder, trout, and reds.  None of my buddies wanted theirs, so I came back to the house to vacuum seal and deep freeze.  31 bags of fish.  Been eating it twice a week.

Going back next weekend.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2020 at 8:45 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the bug hatches are ridiculous. we watched 4 different hatches come off simultaneously (salmonflies, yellow sallies, caddis and PMDs), any one of which would have been a monster hatch...and they were all popping at the same time. it's unreal.

Could've used your expertise today on the upper Portneuf. Bugs, bugs, bugs everywhere, and the trout were rising, but my buddy and I were struggling to match it. Recognized the yellow sallies, PMDs, some kind of olive (except it had clear wings), and a weird-ass snakefly, but no pattern I tried worked beyond the occasional take.

Still, it was a very lovely day.

20200611-174727-HDR.jpg

Just after missing a take.

20200611-174824-HDR.jpg

My friend had better luck.

20200611-131643-Cropped.jpg

I'll get my revenge next week.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Could've used your expertise today on the upper Portneuf. Bugs, bugs, bugs everywhere, and the trout were rising, but my buddy and I were struggling to match it. Recognized the yellow sallies, PMDs, some kind of olive (except it had clear wings), and a weird-ass snakefly, but no pattern I tried worked beyond the occasional take.

20200611-174727-HDR.jpg

20200611-174824-HDR.jpg

that's gorgeous water. i've never actually heard of that river before. man, i'm haunted by all of the water i'll never fish in my lifetime.

couple of thoughts on those frustrating days when you see the fish but can't connect often.

are you sure they were fully rising and not feeding on emergers a half-inch below the surface? if you're seeing backs but not consistent lips, drop a tiny bead-headed emerger 6" (or a soaked RS2) below your dry and you'll probably get eats.

you probably know this, but the speed of the rise is usually a good indicator of what they're eating. super slow eat and they're keying on mayflies, splashy takes and they're eating caddis/stones.

yellow sallies. man, on my waters at least (where we don't have consistent sally hatches), when they come off it doesn't seem to matter what else is hatching, they are completely keyed in on the sallies. maybe they taste better?

change, change, change. presentation, flies, motion (dead drift, then skate, etc.), positioning. i usually just get so lazy and do the same fucking thing and assume the 100th time it will work (because trout are stupid and sometimes it does).

anyways, we never really had runoff here. a few days where the river wasn't fishable, but it's been pretty much game on all spring/summer. doesn't bode well for later summer/fall unfortunately.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

20200611-174727-HDR.jpg

20200611-174824-HDR.jpg

That fish is pretty skinny for the size of its head. Is that typical or just the angle?

Edited by Masshole Horn

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that's gorgeous water. i've never actually heard of that river before. man, i'm haunted by all of the water i'll never fish in my lifetime.

couple of thoughts on those frustrating days when you see the fish but can't connect often.

are you sure they were fully rising and not feeding on emergers a half-inch below the surface? if you're seeing backs but not consistent lips, drop a tiny bead-headed emerger 6" (or a soaked RS2) below your dry and you'll probably get eats.

you probably know this, but the speed of the rise is usually a good indicator of what they're eating. super slow eat and they're keying on mayflies, splashy takes and they're eating caddis/stones.

yellow sallies. man, on my waters at least (where we don't have consistent sally hatches), when they come off it doesn't seem to matter what else is hatching, they are completely keyed in on the sallies. maybe they taste better?

change, change, change. presentation, flies, motion (dead drift, then skate, etc.), positioning. i usually just get so lazy and do the same fucking thing and assume the 100th time it will work (because trout are stupid and sometimes it does).

anyways, we never really had runoff here. a few days where the river wasn't fishable, but it's been pretty much game on all spring/summer. doesn't bode well for later summer/fall unfortunately.

Thanks, man. The Portneuf is the river that flows through town, although it is virtually dead here--not very clean and not much flow as most of it has been diverted for irrigation by this point. The location we were fishing yesterday was about 50 miles (of circuitous roads) upstream.

The trout were rising and finning. I really threw the kitchen sink at them, mostly dries but also a few drowned emergers. There were so many bugs, with yellow sallies being the most predominant. Unfortunately, it wasn't until late in the day that I found a decent yellow sally match that I had overlooked, but I only had one. Good point on the dry-dropper. Definitely should've rigged that up but I was getting frustrated because it was initially breezy and didn't want to risk more tangles.

We've crested. Flows are all downhill from here. Probably an average to slightly above average winter for us. Definitely looking forward to summer and fall fishing.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

2 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

That fish is pretty skinny for the size of its head. Is that typical or just the angle?

My friend likes to turn the trout's head toward the camera, so the angle probably has something to do with it, but it certainly wasn't the thickest bow. She taped out just under 22 inches.

He caught another hen about the same size later that day. Here's a screenshot from a GoPro vid I took. This one doesn't look as disproportionate, although we both thought she was thinner than the first one. /shrug

Jerms-2nd-Big-Bow-Sharped.png

The "river" we were fishing is essentially a glorified creek. It's running about 150 cfs right now but is usually less than half that.

Sight fishing big trout on small dries in small water is the best that freshwater fly fishing has to offer IMO.

My starter set for Colorado. Wets not shown...  

09084d2f9ed596b80d026688ce8069bc.jpg

Going into town in about an hour. Hoping to find water like you describe today. Monumental day, shit I’ve even practiced knots looking forward to my maiden solo outing.

17 minutes ago, troph said:

My starter set for Colorado. Wets not shown...  

09084d2f9ed596b80d026688ce8069bc.jpg

Going into town in about an hour. Hoping to find water like you describe today. Monumental day, shit I’ve even practiced knots looking forward to my maiden solo outing.

Just remember. The key to happiness in life is low expectations. Enjoy the time in nature, if you catch a fish it’s a bonus.

• Like 1

Just remember. The key to happiness in life is low expectations. Enjoy the time in nature, if you catch a fish it’s a bonus.

My only goal is to go out there and put a line in the water without a guide. The only obstacle to that is driving there and tying one cinch knot.

Ugh the wind was terribad. Had some good drifts found some seams and fish jumping out of the water but no catches. Today I tied my own knots to failure and success, third time around. Lost maybe half a dozen flies, fell in the water, my gf broke her Tenkara rod too. We trespassed accidentally as well but the fine man was kind enough to be helpful about where we were trying to go. Ended up back at frying pan anglers and got her a new set up and flies for the tail waters - shout out to Hunter, cute guy, nice smile and helpful once he realized we weren’t fucking around we were just noobs. All of that said I met my goals - tie my own knots and put a line in the water with a chance to catch. we try again tomorrow. Can only get better from here.

• Like 4

5a648c0ecc12931fb38423bf767f1394.jpg

Father’s Day gift for my old man

Clousers, Murdich Minnows, Flashdancers, Llano Bugs, Dahlberg Diver, Galloup Bangtail-ish, Schultz Swingin’ Ds, Double Barrel Poppers, and buggers. My daughter tied the Olive bugger, she’s working hard at the vise.

Not pictured: Full Day trip with Hill Country Fly Fishers

I had to bail on my summer trip to Texas, so I wanted to make sure my dad got on the water.

• Like 6

I have been dipping my toe into fly fishing.  How dangerous of an obsession is this?  One benefit of the virus for me has been increased time fishing/being outside.  I have mostly been poking around the idea (have plenty of standard fishing gear but no fly gear).  Whats a good rig to start up with?  Any cheap Amazon options that can be recommended with some confidence?  Again trying to not go head over heels with this as a hobby just yet, but methinks its a slippery slope.

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I have been dipping my toe into fly fishing.  How dangerous of an obsession is this?  One benefit of the virus for me has been increased time fishing/being outside.  I have mostly been poking around the idea (have plenty of standard fishing gear but no fly gear).  Whats a good rig to start up with?  Any cheap Amazon options that can be recommended with some confidence?  Again trying to not go head over heels with this as a hobby just yet, but methinks its a slippery slope.

Don’t do it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BillyMadison said:

Anyone fished around Glacier National Park? Heading up to Whitefish in August and looking for any guide recs as well as info for my solo trips. 

I haven't fished the Flathead yet, but I did just listen to a great podcast with Hilary Hutcheson (the Drifting podcast hosted by JT Van Zandt), who owns a fly shop and guides in that area.  After listening to her talk for 1.5 hours, I would definitely fish with her:  https://www.larysflyandsupply.com/.

But like...maybe just a little??

Counting only direct expenditures I’m at least $6000 into it and I’ve only been into it for a year and have only been out twice without a guide. Third time will be , tomorrow. Second time was today. More on that later. Counting ancillary expenditures I’m as high as $30,000+ when factoring travel costs, RV, used truck and taking all of that to the places I want to fish. Admittedly you can do it cheaper than me and trucks and RVs and such aren’t necessary but if you want to fish the best spots you have to travel and you have to spend cash and fishing local is great but I’m sorry there’s a special kind of adrenaline rush on a float trip down the gunnison or fishing the Colorado or as I’ve found the last few days fishing the frying pan in CO. once you’re in these places travel become a must. travel, then guides or not and everything that comes with it. I’m new to the hobby and I can already tell you it will change my travel habits, my spending habits and if I didn’t have a girlfriend that was into it to it might wreck my relationship. It’s NOT a cheap hobby all in. But even as a noob it’s fucking fantastic.

3 hours ago, 3shot said:

I haven't fished the Flathead yet, but I did just listen to a great podcast with Hilary Hutcheson (the Drifting podcast hosted by JT Van Zandt), who owns a fly shop and guides in that area.  After listening to her talk for 1.5 hours, I would definitely fish with her:  https://www.larysflyandsupply.com/.

Outstanding-gracias

7 hours ago, troph said:

Counting only direct expenditures I’m at least $6000 into it and I’ve only been into it for a year and have only been out twice without a guide. Third time will be , tomorrow. Second time was today. More on that later. Counting ancillary expenditures I’m as high as $30,000+ when factoring travel costs, RV, used truck and taking all of that to the places I want to fish. Admittedly you can do it cheaper than me and trucks and RVs and such aren’t necessary but if you want to fish the best spots you have to travel and you have to spend cash and fishing local is great but I’m sorry there’s a special kind of adrenaline rush on a float trip down the gunnison or fishing the Colorado or as I’ve found the last few days fishing the frying pan in CO. once you’re in these places travel become a must. travel, then guides or not and everything that comes with it. I’m new to the hobby and I can already tell you it will change my travel habits, my spending habits and if I didn’t have a girlfriend that was into it to it might wreck my relationship. It’s NOT a cheap hobby all in. But even as a noob it’s fucking fantastic.

$30k holy fuck 

Would you happen to have a need to adopt an adult son?  I don’t eat much and I will sleep in the pantry/garage. Just put me on some fish every once in awhile...

8 hours ago, 3shot said:

She is fishy as fuck and cute to boot.

8 hours ago, troph said:

There’s still hope for you. The freshwater habit is expensive, but it’s manageable. If you get the flats salt bite, it will completely wreck you in every conceivable way. 

Side note: Shout out to my wife. It took her a few years to accept the addiction. She doesn’t understand it, but she accepts it. I have a buddy that is a full-blown addict (has spent north of $130k chasing permit alone) and his wife hates him for it. They were arguing about fishing one day and he yells (And I quote) “if you step into the ring with my fishing you will fucking lose, do you understand me!?!?”

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Going to SPI next week. I have some jetty rigs. What should I do for bait?  Live shrimp?

If it's available, absolutely.  Start by free-lining it and put a cork on later if you are having trouble with the rocks.  If it's not available, throw silver spoons, a DOA shrimp or a soft plastic on a 1/4 ounce jig head.  You might also bring a couple short wire leaders in case the Spanish are all over the place.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I love all types of fishing.  Can't say I'm currently obsessed with one form of fishing over another, or one species, etc.  I guess I've gone through phases where I prefer one thing over another, but in general, I like changing things up regularly.  However, I'm cheap when it comes to buying gear.  Or at least I don't usually buy the most expensive things.  I fished with an old 6 weight Pfleuger fly rod and reel combo and caught thousands of fish on it.  I think it was $20 new?  Heck, I haven't purchased a new rod for myself of any kind in over 10 years, and I fish a lot by most people's standards.  It's the Indian, not the arrow, IMO.

You can get a starter rod and reel combo for under $200, with line.  Look at Redington's combos...good bang for the buck with that company on all of their products.  I would get a 6 weight for starting out around CenTex rivers.  If I wanted to spend a little more, but not go crazy, I would put an orvis battenkill reel on any number of rods in the $250 to $350 range.  Echo makes a great rod and they are all reasonably priced.  As mentioned above, the salt water side of fly fishing is more expensive, because in that environment, higher quality gear is a necessity.  You can still put together an adequate red fishing rig for under $500 though.

For me personally, I fish with a fly rod when it's the best way to catch fish in a particular location or under particular conditions.  I absolutely love it while I'm doing it.  But, I also like to throw a topwater with my baitcaster set up or fish for bream with a zebco 33.  So if you start fly fishing and become a gear-head, full-on addict, don't blame me :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Not anymore. That was....a long long time ago...

I live in ATX, above a bowling alley and below ANOTHER bowling alley. 

I'd book a trip with Kevin Hutchison (Hill Country Fly Fishers) or Alvin Dedeaux (All Water Guides) for bass.

Tell them you're starting out and would like to try a few different rods. They'll give you a brief casting lesson and put you on fish. After tip, you'll be out ~$500 with a good idea of getting started.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all.

In the same vein, I have no particular obsession when it comes to fishing.  I just prefer to be outside and fishing is a great way to do so and see a ton of interesting nature things.  Things have definitely been kicked into high gear since I have been staying home due to Covid, and my BiL and I have gone multiple times a week to bass fish in North ATX area.  Really, im just looking for another way to enjoy fishing and this sounds like a challenge to figure out as well which is appealing.

Ive got fathers day followed four days later by my birthday, so I am going to spoil myself with something.  Thanks for the ideas!

12 hours ago, hookemATL said:

But like...maybe just a little??

Its kind of like golf.  It can be done cheaply . . . most people just don't end up doing it that way.  You can get a good starter rod and some flies for under $200 and hit the local creeks and catch a ton of fish.  Or you can drop a thousand dollars on the latest and greatest rod every year and spend 60k+ on a skiff.

But if you already like to fish and live in Austin, then its a no brainer.  There is a ton of good water in the Austin area.  And there is no better way to explore the hill country than with a fly rod and kayak.  We are also lucky to have several really good fly shops in the area. My favorite is probably Living Waters -- they can steer you in the right direction on gear and flies.  

• Like 1

$30k holy fuck 

Would you happen to have a need to adopt an adult son?  I don’t eat much and I will sleep in the pantry/garage. Just put me on some fish every once in awhile...

Most of it was a new (to me) truck and a fifth wheel (see the RV thread) so we could travel. I’d love to fish local Texas rivers and I likely will but my preference is cooler climates like Colorado and the travel to and from isn’t cheap even if you camp in an RV. And then there’s the catching part. It’s not exactly easy to catch as a noob. Guides know what lures to use and where to cast and where to go. If the last three days of on my own have taught me anything it’s that these guides truly earn their money and that then increases your costs too.

There’s still hope for you. The freshwater habit is expensive, but it’s manageable. If you get the flats salt bite, it will completely wreck you in every conceivable way. 

Side note: Shout out to my wife. It took her a few years to accept the addiction. She doesn’t understand it, but she accepts it. I have a buddy that is a full-blown addict (has spent north of $130k chasing permit alone) and his wife hates him for it. They were arguing about fishing one day and he yells (And I quote) “if you step into the ring with my fishing you will fucking lose, do you understand me!?!?”

and then you buy a skiff...