2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

On 7/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've found just the thing...

kayak-jet-1024x574.jpg

In 2007 and 2008 there were a couple of dudes who used launch their jet kayaks from Charlies in Seadrift. I forget the brand. One late afternoon as my buddy was getting off the water at Charlies, he sees one worn out dude paddle his jet kayak on the ICW back to Charlies. He said he had to paddle that heavy ass kayak about 5 miles back because something was wrong with it. I don't remember seeing them out there after he told me that story.

It's prob a great traveling machine, but I would think it's a shitty kayak to quiet fish out of. Way too heavy to paddle around.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:09 PM, Brisketexan said:

Had a good day today. Escaped town for a family trip to Virginia Beach (never been to the area).

My daughter is a fishing fool, has been since she was 9. She’s always wanted to hook into something truly awesome offshore. And today, she did.

9341ac281316876f172715c369162995.jpg

That's awesome.  Hardest fight I've ever had was a 100# yellowfin.  I couldn't even lift the damn thing at the end; just totally physically smoked.  Major congrats on the white, someday...

more ultra newbie questions from me

i wanted to fish bay stuff, and some lakes and rivers, for probably trout and shit..... and i bought what the internet told me was appropriately- sized and weighted equipment:

8' stick, light-medium power, 7-28g casting/lure weight, using 0.25mm lines rated for 10lb

and i took it out for the first time with my in-laws.  we went to basically a goddamn pond, catching fucking carp that were ~2lb heavy 12" long........ and they used massive fucking rods and line (i felt inadequate).

but seriously speaking, they had big ass gear and caught all this carp, and i casted my shit a few times and the line snapped. 

did i bring a pocket knife to a bazooka fight? 

32 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

How did you get broken off? Did you snap it while casting? Or during a fight / while trying to hook a fish? 

you may need to adjust your drag settings. 

while trying to hook a fish...

these aint piranhas.  the pond is just full of carp

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

while trying to hook a fish...

Was it curly at the end of the line where it "snapped?"  If so, it was a bad knot.    

Your rod is plenty big for most carp...if your inlaws are serious about their carp fishing, they are probably using those European setups that are specifically set up for rough fish.  Or maybe they are just using huge rods intended for the surf or pier because they don't know any better and/or have a little meathead in them?  Regardless, you don't want any of that stuff for bay or bass fishing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

and i took it out for the first time with my in-laws.  we went to basically a goddamn pond, catching fucking carp that were ~2lb heavy 12" long........ and they used massive fucking rods and line (i felt inadequate).

I use 10# mono about 50% of the time.  I can't tell you how many upper slot/just over slot redfish have succumbed to it.  Unfortunately, I can tell you only a few >9# trout have, but still.   Unless you are in some HEAVY vegetation, you should be fine.  Make sure line is fresh, and knot is good, and a 2# anything shouldn't be an issue.   

Did you buy a kit rod and reel set up or did you buy everything separately and line the reel yourself? If it's the former, then you prob want to re-line the reel with better line. For margins I imagine they use the least expensive shittiest line on those set ups. 

As stated above, Europeans especially the British and Germans LOVE carp fishing. They used to have tourneys in Town Lake with dudes coming from all over the world. They used big ass heavy tackle and electronic line sensor shit which I though was overkill.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Did you buy a kit rod and reel set up or did you buy everything separately and line the reel yourself? If it's the former, then you prob want to re-line the reel with better line. For margins I imagine they use the least expensive shittiest line on those set ups. 

As stated above, Europeans especially the British and Germans LOVE carp fishing. They used to have tourneys in Town Lake with dudes coming from all over the world. They used big ass heavy tackle and electronic line sensor shit which I though was overkill.

Bought a rod&reel combo, then some abulon & trilene fluoro line that I thought was optimized for what I expected to catch.

Funny thing is that's exactly the rig they were working with!!!  I thought it was cast & reel.  They just cast their 2 rods each and set on the electronic sensor.

The rig was something I'd never seen.  It was 2 hooks set with a kernel of corn, and then this basket thing that they packed with a clayey mix of some sort of feeder soil.  Everything smelled like fucking blue cheese.

s-l1000.jpg

So how did I learn about the electric sensor?

2007 on Town Lake was pre-paddle board days. Only people on the lake back then were many rowers and a few kayak fishermen like me. I fished two days that weekend and saw a bunch of dudes on the banks with fishing rods speaking English with heavy accents. On a paddle back to launch, I was trolling a crankbait. I was a good ways off shore because I saw all the carp fishermen sitting in lawn chairs with their many rods and lines out. As a paddle through a set of lines, one of the reels/rods starts screaming some electric beeps. Dude jumps up thinking he caught a big ass fish. I'm wondering what the fuck was going on since I was practically paddling in the middle of the lake. Turns out my crankbait snagged a line. They were pissed. Oh well, my bad.

• Like 1

Gave castell another chance. But done for the summer there. Officially moving on. Going to get some more gear too for some water hikes / narrows style and get away from public spots after this one.

Went out from 6-9pm so no excuses. Three hooked, one caught. All early. Still tiny ones. Hmmm. Something’s right, but a lotta wrong to I guess. Man I was hoping for a good one. Learned the improved cinch knot because I was tired of losing flies. Above talking about curled line with the lure gone, yeah that’s me more often than it should be. So that’s a step in the right direction. Going to study some bass techniques this weekend on YouTube I think as well.

That river is amazing though. As the sun dropped and the heat dissipated the summer symphony came alive... cicadas, frogs, the water rushing, butterflies and crimson dragon flies everywhere, fish jumping (a few not a lot). It really was quite the moment. I had a really good stretch then, probably 20 mins of epic in the groove casting with great drifts using small wet flies. Hectic week, agitated to hell and tired when we drove out there. Laughing and singing on the way back. Damn it’s a great way to start a weekend.

Pic because well I post pics it’s what I do.

d94855e8e000c8c81f09dc0c8f4bbb28.jpg

d89b57e24b71db14a3c9129defa7a6dc.jpg

And our pup is now a straight up river dog. Chased a lizard, picked up a dead fish skeleton, rolled in mud and chased a few butterflies in addition to wading through the river even when coming up to his neck. He might be the happiest with our new covid life. But damn he has the stink right now.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, troph said:

Gave castell another chance. But done for the summer there. Officially moving on. Going to get some more gear too for some water hikes / narrows style and get away from public spots after this one.

Went out from 6-9pm so no excuses. Three hooked, one caught. All early. Still tiny ones. Hmmm. Something’s right, but a lotta wrong to I guess. Man I was hoping for a good one. Learned the improved cinch knot because I was tired of losing flies. Above talking about curled line with the lure gone, yeah that’s me more often than it should be. So that’s a step in the right direction. Going to study some bass techniques this weekend on YouTube I think as well.

That river is amazing though. As the sun dropped and the heat dissipated the summer symphony came alive... cicadas, frogs, the water rushing, butterflies and crimson dragon flies everywhere, fish jumping (a few not a lot). It really was quite the moment. I had a really good stretch then, probably 20 mins of epic in the groove casting with great drifts using small wet flies. Hectic week, agitated to hell and tired when we drove out there. Laughing and singing on the way back. Damn it’s a great way to start a weekend.

Pic because well I post pics it’s what I do.

d94855e8e000c8c81f09dc0c8f4bbb28.jpg

d89b57e24b71db14a3c9129defa7a6dc.jpg

And our pup is now a straight up river dog. Chased a lizard, picked up a dead fish skeleton, rolled in mud and chased a few butterflies in addition to wading through the river even when coming up to his neck. He might be the happiest with our new covid life. But damn he has the stink right now.

The Llano is such a pretty river. I play golf a couple times a year with my FIL on the Llano muni course that's on the river, and every time I just catch myself staring at it and thinking "I can't believe that river isn't full of trout"...then I remember that Texas is a blast furnace from July through September. 

• Like 1

The Llano is such a pretty river. I play golf a couple times a year with my FIL on the Llano muni course that's on the river, and every time I just catch myself staring at it and thinking "I can't believe that river isn't full of trout"...then I remember that Texas is a blast furnace from July through September. 

That’s funny. I thought that last night. I was finding awesome seams, foam, nice eddies all of it and thinking man this one is gonna hit. I got some bites and caught the one tiny but that’s it. Don’t care gonna find another spot and keep doing it. The casting and knots and all of that still matter and I do need a lot of practice.

Let's talk Port A fishing options while I am there next week with the family for vacation. 

Not taking boat with us but I can bring my wade gear for early morning fishing.  Also will probably fish at night for some flounder.  (Talking light tackle fishing gear with artificials). 

For nighttime flounder fishing I am guessing that Robert's Point Park would be a great option with all the structure around there.  Any other spots?

For Trout: - Are the flats by Wilson's Cut decent this time of year? 

I know I have waded behind the Island church before in the big hole but  didn't catch anything. 

Would it be worth crossing the ferry and wading Brown & Roots?  The line for the ferry back will probably be an ass whip.

6 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Let's talk Port A fishing options while I am there next week with the family for vacation. 

Not taking boat with us but I can bring my wade gear for early morning fishing.  Also will probably fish at night for some flounder.  (Talking light tackle fishing gear with artificials). 

For nighttime flounder fishing I am guessing that Robert's Point Park would be a great option with all the structure around there.  Any other spots?

I know I have waded behind the Island church before in the big hole but  didn't catch anything. 

Would it be worth crossing the ferry and wading Brown & Roots?  The line for the ferry back will probably be an ass whip.

no way I'd cross the ferry if I didn't have to. What about Packery channel? I see lots of people wading that area. Lots of water exchange, direct access to the gulf...

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

The flats near Wilson's will have fish on them (mainly reds) but there are usually a bunch of kayakers fishing it these days...and the bottom is pretty soft in a lot of places.  I would take the jetty boat over to the North Jetty or just fish the surf if the conditions allow.      

Tomorrow I'm headed to POC with the family for the next couple of days.  Not really a fishing trip,  but I might try to sneak in a wade or two.  Might sink a gulp at the dock and see if I can coax a flounder from between the piers.  If yall see a black Haynie at the pass, throw me a hook em or stop and have a beer. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Too lazy to look, but if the tide is going out in the afternoon while you are here you can hit the south jetty. It’s usually best from about 3-6 in the afternoon.  Fish the channel side about 3/4 of the way out where the flat sidewalk is. You can sight cast to oversized reds, gold spoons work but the big chrome rattletraps are best. Won’t catch any slots but it’s a blast, and you’ll occasionally jump a tarpon.

What about trout under the lights on the Caldwell or Hall piers?  Used to go to  the Hall pier with a buddy and a friend of his from Corpus on our way down to Big Shell.    Hit it good a few times and when it turns on it can be fantastic.

Flows on the Snake were finally low enough to permit some wading yesterday. First catch was the best--a 20-inch bow without much color but plenty of pop. She went ballistic twice** and required a few minutes to coax into my net.

20200715-131658-Sharped.jpg

Only other fish of consequence was this humble and skinny brown; all others were dinks.

20200715-140621-Sharped.jpg

Also checked out my favorite summer fishing spot--probably needs another week of headcutting to be ready.

** Would've made great video, but am still tinkering with GoPro setup as chest mount is less than ideal for fishing.

• Like 3

so ya'll were right.  absolutely no problem with my fishing equipment.

went back to that little local pond thing at the buttcrack of dawn

IMG-20200713-052750.jpg

so this was the actual rig.  we attached "paste" to the basket and corn to the hooks

IMG-20200713-055000.jpg

chilled out and caught a bunch of carp.  they are ugly things.

IMG-20200713-081117.jpg

IMG-20200713-064010.jpg

next day got a cabin at a much larger lake. 

nicer place but barely had shit for fish... got a bunch of babies and finally 1 bigger carp.  good waste of 3 days drinking beer though

IMG-20200714-122206.jpg

IMG-20200714-134638.jpg

IMG-20200714-153939.jpg

IMG-20200714-213325.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/14/2020 at 3:28 PM, Mac8111 said:

Late to this post but I wouldn’t recommend parking at Wilson’s cut if you have anything in your vehicle.  Shit gets broken into there constantly.  Unless they’ve put cameras up or something recently.  

5 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Cut em off near the pass in a pre-dawn wade and then finished then off in the surf. A couple got bit in half before we could boat them. It’s laying down fellas, now is the time to go get them. 

In Seadrift for the weekend with little Rojo. I told him he better be ready to fish all day both days. Even brought the 10wt to go jack hunting

• Like 3

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Oof.  Blastfurnace about killed me last two days.   Don’t know if I’d make it past 1000 or so right now. Pick back up around 1800.  Hope y’all get them tho 

Got a few, but had to fish outside shorelines. These solstice tides are no joke. Couldn’t get into a lot of the ponds we wanted to fish. We were done by 1:30. It was hotter than satan’s asshole out there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Got a few, but had to fish outside shorelines. These solstice tides are no joke. Couldn’t get into a lot of the ponds we wanted to fish. We were done by 1:30. It was hotter than satan’s asshole out there. 

Yeah I’m not going to lie, I got a bit shallower than I wanted once or twice Thurs afternoon. Nothing I couldn’t tilt up and putt off of; saw one big Blue Wave with no water under it.  They got off shortly after, somehow (I couldn’t stop where I was, or restart if did, rather)  I’m talking high and dry and in the middle of a hump with like 5-6 people onboard. High tide Friday AM had me borked at the ramp (Clark’s ramp already sucks for my boat) Was all around funky tides.  

We got off the water around 1330 and we were only lounging.  Wife wants a place in the sanctuary (yeah no shit honey), we found 6 full sand dollars (haven’t found a full one in 20 years) and the kids had a blast.  

• Like 1

Hitting the surf in the morning Prediction is 2 mph NE wind in Port A. Already have a super spook tied on one rod and a tandem buck tail / Gulp rig ready to go on the other.

The fishing gods will be good to me tomorrow. Y’all check back in tomorrow afternoon for pics of my personal best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Hitting the surf in the morning Prediction is 2 mph NE wind in Port A. Already have a super spook tied on one rod and a tandem buck tail / Gulp rig ready to go on the other.

The fishing gods will be good to me tomorrow. Y’all check back in tomorrow afternoon for pics of my personal best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like a little of that action. It’s been blowing 15-20 straight into the beach since I got back to my house Friday. Went and fished some backwater areas yesterday and got destroyed by the bugs, so I gave up until it lays down some. May try the big rods in another day or two with bait and see what’s moving since sight fishing snook and tarpon is out.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
24 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
I just want y’all to know I’ve been doing my part and fucking them up on the regular. 

Where do you normally fish? Fork or the Pan?

I fish the Pan maybe 1-2 times/year. Mostly on the Fork, try to get down to the C when I get a longer hall pass, but the water has been warm down there the last month or so. The rains have finally arrived though and the fish are much happier.

Been putting on at first light and throwing the mouse. Watching a fish turn from 20 feet up river and dart for the mouse is literally going to cause me to have a stroke on the water some day.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I’m not going to lie, I got a bit shallower than I wanted once or twice Thurs afternoon. Nothing I couldn’t tilt up and putt off of; saw one big Blue Wave with no water under it.  They got off shortly after, somehow (I couldn’t stop where I was, or restart if did, rather)  I’m talking high and dry and in the middle of a hump with like 5-6 people onboard. High tide Friday AM had me borked at the ramp (Clark’s ramp already sucks for my boat) Was all around funky tides.  

We got off the water around 1330 and we were only lounging.  Wife wants a place in the sanctuary (yeah no shit honey), we found 6 full sand dollars (haven’t found a full one in 20 years) and the kids had a blast.  

y'all get caught out by the rain today? We did. We were surrounded by fish at 9:00 this morning in the south cove of twin lakes, then we lost the sun...then I looked up and there were a bunch of big, fast boats hauling ass North. I looked back south and it was a wall of black. I got the boat up in the back of the cove (I'll pray for forgiveness for what I did to the bottom) and headed South. Big thunder clap and a few raindrops caught us, but I managed to outrun it. We were home in Georgetown by 3:00.