2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Feeling like you’ve been beaten with a tire iron is the best way I can describe the feeling you have waking up after a day long YF haul.  It’s a blast but there is a price to pay. 

I want that feeling. I’ve had a few of those on a long three set tennis match. Only thing that saved me was an ice bath. Of course if I won the soreness was my trophy. I’ll bring those fuckers in, and I’ll be glad to complain about my body feeling beaten by a tire iron. Yes please.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:15 PM, 4th and 5 said:

The weather's getting right fellas. It's time to burn up some vacation days on Monday and Tuesday and hit the surf.

Called my shot

The fishing was outstanding on Monday. We waded the bay and got a nice limit and kept fishing. The bite was strong during the midday major (moon underfoot)

Then it got better. We hit the same bay spot and picked up a few and then went to the surf and filled the cooler with a bunch of fat trout 22-24. 

Here are pics of the fires on Big Island, apparently started by kids shooting tracer rounds. 

and a pic of the surf

@Mac8111 will update with the Wednesday fishing report. He has the coordinates. 

F1F14E15-B3A7-4C05-9B38-5F5C9B64A5EF.jpeg

A3D04E65-B1E8-4802-95E4-73BC2921F4CD.jpeg

0D446260-3567-41FA-A4A5-7FEC38D58AF5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yes,  state snapper. Apparently my boat didn’t partake. Was just there for the kings and Ling.  

Always 2 cases. Apparently no one wanted to barter.  Another friend had same experience last week. Said he tried a half dozen of them and no one wanted beer.  So I just don’t know anymore.  

Yes,  state snapper. Apparently my boat didn’t partake. Was just there for the kings and Ling.  

Always 2 cases. Apparently no one wanted to barter.  Another friend had same experience last week. Said he tried a half dozen of them and no one wanted beer.  So I just don’t know anymore.  
It's gotten harder and harder to find a willing boat. Don't even bother with HEB boats.
I used to get 35 lbs for a joint or a case of beer and all the squid or Chum we wanted

7 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

It's gotten harder and harder to find a willing boat. Don't even bother with HEB boats.
I used to get 35 lbs for a joint or a case of beer and all the squid or Chum we wanted

That is terrible news.  Last year, or year before maybe, we were able to get them for a case of Beast and a bottle of something someone had left at Josies that followed us home.  Got a big sack of shrimp and another sack of squid.    I havent been behind one culling in the AM in a looooooong time.  Now we hit them just to hit them, but seems like the success rate is way down than what it used to be.  Still plenty of kings around, but haven't pulled off any ling or blackfins (these were shallow tho) in I don't know how long.  

The best method for finding one to trade is to look for a trail of beer can and follow it up current until you hit the one leaving the trail.

We knew we were going to do good at the last one we traded when we swung in behind the shrimper, as they were blasting out Ozzy’s Boneyard on the Xm, and we saw they had a Forrest Gump sized catch pile on the rear deck. Gunnel to gunnel, at least 2 feet high.

They shoveled 2 or 3 scoops overboard and the water erupted. Tons of bonita and kings feeding on the catch and sharks feeding on them.

We got 3 big mesh bags of shrimp with just a little bit of bycatch mixed in with it all for a warm 12 pack. We played with the kings for a bit and I had on a 7’+ bull shark on for about while before he finally bit through the leader. Left there and continued running on our to our snapper rock to catch our limits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Take the shrimpers Gatorade and cigarettes. Better yet, if you fish 2 days in a row just ask them what they want and take it back to them on day 2. Your results won’t vary.

also, the nearshore boats like that aren’t staying out very long so they generally won’t even need anything. Best trades are going to happen with the deep water guys that stay out a long time.

Walk West weighed in a 737 pound blue tonight at midnight in the Texas Legends tournament. Still one day of fishing left but that’s a really big marlin for here and will be tough to beat.

B827FD15-22A8-4FF0-A8BE-39EFD7203A54.jpeg

Also very good social distancing and mask wearing.

009E844A-355D-45EF-BD05-30F1F020ED31.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 8/8/2020 at 2:19 AM, justhookit said:

Walk West weighed in a 737 pound blue tonight at midnight in the Texas Legends tournament. Still one day of fishing left but that’s a really big marlin for here and will be tough to beat.

B827FD15-22A8-4FF0-A8BE-39EFD7203A54.jpeg

Also very good social distancing and mask wearing.

009E844A-355D-45EF-BD05-30F1F020ED31.jpeg

One of my buddies was on the boat that hung the 514. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That is terrible news.  Last year, or year before maybe, we were able to get them for a case of Beast and a bottle of something someone had left at Josies that followed us home.  Got a big sack of shrimp and another sack of squid.    I havent been behind one culling in the AM in a looooooong time.  Now we hit them just to hit them, but seems like the success rate is way down than what it used to be.  Still plenty of kings around, but haven't pulled off any ling or blackfins (these were shallow tho) in I don't know how long.  

Yeah it sucks.

For Blackfins you need to be out a good 30-40 miles usually. This is the time of year is when it gets good into Sept.
For Ling we like to send some prop wash under the shrimp boat and some chum to try and get them to leave the shade. Fish the shady side of the boat. Live piggies fished close to the shrimp boat will catch fish you don't see. And of course any weedlines or floating debris. On site fishing them, I have them often bite a dead mullet with a piece of Alka Seltzer threaded above the hook. The fizz gets them interested. Ling are tasty but weird fish. And often frustrating AF. We have better luck earlier in the season for Ling.
However I've caught a few sails and plenty of mahi closer in this time of year including a sail only maybe 10 miles out. I thought it was a bunch of triple tail hanging around a trash bag until he lit up. Did not leader that one.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On Matagorda Island by the Big Jetties.

Then Tuesday night one of the big houses out there “exploded” and burnt to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matagorda Peninsula to be accurate. Lot of disregard for bag limits over there on the pennisula. The Island starts at Pass Cavallo and is a state park. TXPW fly the island with a helo and blast hogs with extreme prejudice. It's a little unnerving when you are wading nearby.

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Heading to the Llano tomorrow to fish with the boy.  The Kingsland Slab and maybe Castell Crossing upriver from Llano.  Never been to either spot.  Anything I should know about the area or any other place we should hit?  

The water is pretty low right now.  It's easier walking down river at the slab than up, but you might have more luck if you are fishing worms under a bobber up river...up river has more discrete pools that will each hold fish due to the granite boulder fields and outcroppings.    

Heading to the Llano tomorrow to fish with the boy.  The Kingsland Slab and maybe Castell Crossing upriver from Llano.  Never been to either spot.  Anything I should know about the area or any other place we should hit?  

We are new to fly fishing but didn’t have a lot of success at Castell in July - we went about three different times. I also fished near the damn. Same results - Decent amount of bites early evening even afternoons but only a few small guads and nothing to really get excited about.

Yeah the water was pretty low.  We took one look at the Slab and moved on to Castell.  Bad planning on my part because the general store was closed so my mid-day beers in the shade got canned.  But I did catch one bass (and our only bass) after my kid was talking shit to me about his fishing prowess compared to mine, so the day wasn't a total failure.  Pork ribs and apple cobbler at Coopers were good, brisket was not.  No less than 100 posters on this board can cook better brisket than they served today, but whatever.  It was a day outside with one of my kids... I'll take it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Any tips or spots for the Durango Silverton area? We can 4x4 or hike in. Fly and Tankara rods.

Tips on fly selection?

Check in with a local fly shop, they’ll likely help you out. My buddy caught about 15 fish on the Animas one morning  right in front of the doubletree in Durango after picking up 10 recommended flies from the shop. Mostly nymphing as I recall. We were staying a little outside of town at river bend ranch and the river there was muddy bottom with no structure. It seemed like there was a lot better structure through town. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo

Check in with a local fly shop, they’ll likely help you out. My buddy caught about 15 fish on the Animas one morning  right in front of the doubletree in Durango after picking up 10 recommended flies from the shop. Mostly nymphing as I recall. We were staying a little outside of town at river bend ranch and the river there was muddy bottom with no structure. It seemed like there was a lot better structure through town. 
Thanks man!
We will be further up. Im mostly a dry fly or die kind of guy but if we post up in town it's good to know it's worth the effort to go.

15 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks man!
We will be further up. Im mostly a dry fly or die kind of guy but if we post up in town it's good to know it's worth the effort to go.

Right on man. I do hear ya on the dries. I didn’t see much hatch when we were out there but I’m sure there must be something. We were there around July 4. 

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks man!

I was there a week ago. Check in with Duranglers fly shop in town. If you're going to be up around the Purgatory area, there's a creek up above the resort they told me was a good option. Road was closed about halfway up the mountain, though. Maybe the National Park service can tell you if it's open? Or maybe you could hike up the rest of the way. The boy told me he was done, so I didn't press it. I think it's called Hermosa Creek. If you look on google earth, you'll see the road I'm talking about. You basically turn into the resort, and the trail head is at the back of the large North parking area. Down lower they suggested Lime Creek. There's a Lime Creek road turn off from the highway between Purgatory and Silverton, the guys at the fly shop can show you where it is on their shop map and set you up with flies. The Animas was low and water temps are pretty high right now. If you're going to fish it, get there early and plan to be off the water by 9:00 AM or so. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, Your Mom said:

Yeah the water was pretty low.  We took one look at the Slab and moved on to Castell.  Bad planning on my part because the general store was closed so my mid-day beers in the shade got canned.  But I did catch one bass (and our only bass) after my kid was talking shit to me about his fishing prowess compared to mine, so the day wasn't a total failure.  Pork ribs and apple cobbler at Coopers were good, brisket was not.  No less than 100 posters on this board can cook better brisket than they served today, but whatever.  It was a day outside with one of my kids... I'll take it.  

It's a shame but it's been like that consistently for some time now.  I travel back and forth to Fredericksburg and Llano several times a year and I stopped ordering brisket.  I'll get a pork chop, smoke ribeye or smoked prime rib but no more brisket for me.  

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

As opposed to what?  That fish was as fresh as it gets.  They were both swimming this morning.

Just wanted to maintain clear boundaries for the Tex Mex vs Cali Mex debate (which is not a debate)

edit: the tacos look amazing

Edited by texastough
  • Hook 'Em 1

Heading to the Androscoggin river in Maine on the 24th for 3 days of smallmouth and pike fishing. Super stoked. Haven't heard back from either guide, but I can DIY this one.

Also, I'm looking at the Yeti Loadout GoBox... seems to have good reviews, but think there must be something similar for less than $250. Anyone have a recommendation boat box/bag? Want to hold 3-4 3600 size boxes, 3-4 fly boxes, 3-4 large tippet spools, phone, small toolkit, first aid kit, and 3-5 fly reels.

I have developed a serious problem, but I don't want help. Upgraded my rig to what I was lusting after in Colorado and it's like mainlining heroin.

68ca60549e8949b78bf19d1b5d963166.jpg

I also have a new fishing buddy. We could both quit our jobs and do this every day.

37e0069ef19ba9d844bdba595d535317.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just got back from our annual Alaska trip where we absolutely wrecked shop on the silver salmon.  This place is about an hour and a half from Juneau and we did some fishing there last year.  This year we didn’t bother with other locations other than scouting.  These pics are from four days where it took between 2:45 and 4:15 to catch 12+ salmon (excluding pinks) on two rods which is about all we like to process in a day.  I also racked up 4 Kings which is my best total since I was in college.  The Halibut is all bycatch from trolling or dropping lines while cleaning fish.  

5DC7B178-082B-4241-AD45-51338B2EFAF3.jpeg

D38D0F5F-400B-4211-BD32-1366877EA54A.jpeg

C11D5033-656A-4421-AF77-203367A4EE7D.jpeg

1979ACAC-F69F-407F-BEDC-6799991E8352.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Man...when all this shit is over and done...I’m really gonna have a hard time not booking a trip with you guys.

Unless I’ve been reading this wrong forever, I don’t think @justhookit is an outfitter. Just a guy living the dream (when covid isn’t fucking everything up) 

Edited by fattyflattie

Unless I’ve been reading this wrong forever, I don’t think [mention=2744]justhookit[/mention] is an outfitter. Just a guy living the dream (when covid isn’t fucking everything up) 

Honestly, I’m not sure exactly what the formal arrangement is - I just know that either way, it costs money to take a boat that far out and fish your ass off. So, I’ll carry some bills with me.