2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

3 hours ago, Damor said:

I have developed a serious problem, but I don't want help. Upgraded my rig to what I was lusting after in Colorado and it's like mainlining heroin.

68ca60549e8949b78bf19d1b5d963166.jpg

I also have a new fishing buddy. We could both quit our jobs and do this every day.

37e0069ef19ba9d844bdba595d535317.jpg

The Gunnison is sweet. I've got one of the OG narrow spool/standard arbor versions. I bought it at the Austin Angler on Congress about 20 years ago. Passed it down to my son a couple years ago and bought a Tibor Everglades for my 8Wt. The reel has seen a lot of Redfish, and not a spec of corrosion on it anywhere. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Unless I’ve been reading this wrong forever, I don’t think @justhookit is an outfitter. Just a guy living the dream (when covid isn’t fucking everything up) 

You are correct. We did do a handful of charters back when the boat was here in Port A, but mostly did tournaments . The majority of the charters we booked were to billfish before a tournament so we got a “free” prefishing day or two. We really haven’t chartered the boat in Costa Rica at all.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Honestly, I’m not sure exactly what the formal arrangement is - I just know that either way, it costs money to take a boat that far out and fish your ass off. So, I’ll carry some bills with me.

You know I’ve always said you were welcome to come fish anytime. You missed the first Shaggy trip.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It takes a lot for the little ones (comparatively) I fish off of. So yeah. But that AC is so nice.  I need to find a friend that is into sails - that’s my current obsession. 

Come to CR and you’ll get sick of sails quickly.

Has anyone ever run an underwater light off of their dock/pier?  I'm looking at the ones that sit on the bottom and have a timer - the ones that look sturdy are expensive af.  The cheaper ones look flimsy and like they won't last for very long if they are left on the bottom 24/7.  This if for fresh water, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Glow-Green-Underwater-Fishing/dp/B00GWTRFDI/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=green+underwater+fishing+light+bottom&qid=1597676775&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-26

Has anyone ever run an underwater light off of their dock/pier?  I'm looking at the ones that sit on the bottom and have a timer - the ones that look sturdy are expensive af.  The cheaper ones look flimsy and like they won't last for very long if they are left on the bottom 24/7.  This if for fresh water, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Glow-Green-Underwater-Fishing/dp/B00GWTRFDI/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=green+underwater+fishing+light+bottom&qid=1597676775&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-26

If you’re in the centex area, reach out to Dez Davis of Supernova fishing lights. Not sure if he’s still doing custom installs, but he’s done a lot of this over the years and can point you in the right direction.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Check the BoJo out. It is basically a light that hangs over the water, with a little weedeater that spins below the light. Bugs come to the light and get whacked onto the water. That feeds the little fish which then feed the big fish. Works well, provides food as well as light, don't have to mess with anything underwater

9 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

The BoJo looks interesting - not cheap, but seems like a good concept.  Have you seen one in action?

Yes my father in law has one. Worked as advertised and the fish love it. I can't speak to durability/longevity. FIL installed it where he can just lift it up to take it off so he can store it in the boathouse when they're not there.

Son (6, holding fish) took his first deep sea trip last week in Destin. Caught some snapper, some trigger fish (thought those were the coolest), and a couple mackerel. He did awesome and didn’t want to come back in after 3 or 4 hours. He just wanted to stay out and keep catching fish.

b348992d356a60d8ee01139f46c1cf00.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I have underwater green lights on my dock. One overhead and one underwater. In less than 18 months the underwater one has gone out twice.  It has been fixed, but not sure what was wrong, as it was warranty. But I understand this is pretty common. 

Do you know what brand you have?  There are 4 or 5 docks on the lake I live on that have underwater lights and I ride around and hit them at night a few times a month, so I know they work well out here.  I do worry about the bulbs going out or the wires getting snagged by other fisherman doing the same thing I do though.

It's pretty fun to troll up to a light and see all of the action swimming above them, do you get the same effect from your overhead light? @Dry Elbows

23 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Do you know what brand you have?  There are 4 or 5 docks on the lake I live on that have underwater lights and I ride around and hit them at night a few times a month, so I know they work well out here.  I do worry about the bulbs going out or the wires getting snagged by other fisherman doing the same thing I do though.

It's pretty fun to troll up to a light and see all of the action swimming above them, do you get the same effect from your overhead light? @Dry Elbows

https://underwatergreenfishinglights.com/

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

what kind of line are you running for bay / back bay fishing ?

I use 20 lb braid.  I think it's spiderwire?  It's been years since I've changed any of my lines out, somewhere between 5 and 10 on the 4 reels I regularly fish, and they are all still going strong, although the line on each reel has lost it's original green color and is almost white.  I tie on about a 4 ft long, 20# fluorocarbon leader and retie a new leader when any of them get down into the 18 inch range.  I connect the braid to the fluorocarbon with a uni-to-uni knot.  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 10:08 AM, The Royal We said:

We built ours homemade years ago when we had our place on Lake Medina.  5 gal bucket, metal halide ballast + bulb, concrete and lots of silicone.  Worked like a champ for 5+ years and was still going strong when we sold the place.  Kids loved fishing for catfish at night.  Plus, easy to move on a variable level lake like that.  Here's a forum where they talk through something similar if you're into DIY.  

https://fishwestend.com/forum/threads/1851-DIY-Underwater-Lights

52 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Well that's f'n interesting man. 

I wish that post had a few more pictures between the 3rd and 4th, but I bet I can dig around and find some more stuff on the internet.  What did you put the bulb in to protect it?

We just mounted it directly in the concrete.  Those bulbs are pretty durable.  

On 8/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, bmbmd said:

Has anybody here done the Boundary Waters Canoe Area?  Been on my bucket list for sixty years, but time's running out.  Fortunately, this Texas made the trip for me. 

I went last August.  We did day trips from a cabin on Moose Lake northeast of Ely.  There is nowhere else like it.  It was a pretty cheap and easy trip.  Any specific questions?

Also—the fishing is ridiculous.  We caught several fish by “trolling” behind our canoes with lures tied to string.  No joke.  Walleye and northern pike may be two of the best tasting fish on earth.

Get up there and enjoy!

Edited by harold
Fishing!
  • Hook 'Em 2

Buddy of mine just won the final Texas billfish tournament of the year. I won this same tournament 5 years ago.  Fished all the tournaments with him 2 years ago. Didn’t fish with him last year and then his boat caught on fire near the end of last tournament season. Really happy for him. TWAT results -

Edit- unofficial/official results made it a lot closer than that. Another boat, MOJO ended up about 30 points behind for 2nd.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Day 1 on the Androscoggin. Fished for about 3 hours before the lightning got close. Landed 25 smallies, most in the 12-14” range. Also caught a 16” and 2 18”. Caught most on Cheat Mode and Swingin D, both fished on a sinking line.

Most important fish was this little one:
974b29381c0ec7afc8231aadba0e767d.jpg

The fly is one my 5 y/o designed. The Bomb Head Bunker. He said it should have flash, marabou, and a foam head. We spent some time at the bench and figured out how it should look. Probably would have caught more on the sinking line.

Got some more afternoon rain forecast tomorrow. Gonna hit a section of the river known for pike tomorrow in the am.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Got offshore on my uncles new boat. I had never caught a Ling before somehow.

95b9ead39444f8882a3689385a74772d.jpg432b573bddac5bc12606e839fa64745b.jpg

Fished some short rigs and a wreck he knows about in 40 feet of water.

The one big Ling and a mess is Spanish and gulf trout and one keeper snapper.

12 year old cousin kept going after and catching the spadefish that were circling the boat.

In all cleaned 21 fish. Grilled some Ling that night over coals.
df3752d0db78c76d03db087cdd84ccd7.jpg

Very little wind. Good for fishing for hot as balls. Still beats most other things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 8/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, Masshole Horn said:

Got some more afternoon rain forecast tomorrow. Gonna hit a section of the river known for pike tomorrow in the am.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, harold said:

Walleye and northern pike may be two of the best tasting fish on earth.

Speaking of Northern Pike...

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/connecticut-woman-hooks-monster-pike-40-year-old-record

A Connecticut woman taught her kids a thing or two about fishing when she hooked a huge pike during a recent angling adventure.

Leslie Slater was fishing by kayak with her family in Colebrook's West Branch Reservoir when she reeled in the impressive catch, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection reported on Wednesday.

According to Slater, all was calm until she felt a “huge hit.”

“It pulled hard right to the bottom. It almost broke my pole in half,” the angler said. “Then with all of the dead weight, I thought that I had lost the fish and snagged the bottom.”

Slater managed to pull the catch into her boat, later revealed to be a 29-pound, 46-inch Northern Pike.

“Never in my life did I expect to see a freshwater fish of that size come out of Connecticut, the adrenaline rush pulling in a fish that size was awesome,” she continued. “I still can't believe I pulled it into my kayak without flipping over or having my toes bitten off.”

The challenge of getting the fish weighed on a certified scale, however, was exacerbated by local power outages after Tropical Storm Isaias and the coronavirus pandemic, state environmental protection officials said.

“We had many staring at us as we carried in a fish of that size. One deli was willing to weigh the fish but it was too big for the scale, the head and tail hit the counter,” Slater recalled. “The reaction we received from the deli customers was priceless.”

“I called Leslie shortly after learning of the catch and her dilemma in finding a certified scale,” Machowski explained. “Leslie’s excitement and enthusiasm over catching this monster pike was infectious and I knew we had to help her.”

Ryan Craig, the owner of the Berkshire Country Store in Norfolk, agreed to weigh the pike using his certified scale in the deli, he said.

Slater's pike tied a 40-year-old record set in 1980, according to Connecticut Fish and Wildlife.

Pocatello--about 2.5 hours from where you were, two hours if I drive like an Austinite.

Next year, you might have to work in some time for some Central Idaho bull trout fishing. Late July/early August.

Then again, you would owe me pretty huge for that cuz pulling big bulls out of small water is a religious experience. Oooohm.

• Hook 'Em 1

forgot to post pics from the south fork. it's just a really, really special river. threw nothing but huge foam flies and absolutely slayed cutties with a few rainbow and browns in the mix. bald eagles on damn near every tree, endless braided channels to explore, just an absurdly special river. my buddy guides up there and we were able to squat at their outfitter camp. second time up there and this will become an annual trip for me.
snake-6.jpg
snake-4.jpg
snake-1.jpg
snake-2.jpg
snake-5.jpg
snake-3.jpg

Wow!
  • Hook 'Em 1