2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Cross-posting this from the Can You Help With This? forum:

My brother's 16 year old step son has been fighting osteosarcoma for the last year plus and was recently informed that they were no longer going to treat him. They recently took a trip to MD Anderson to discuss some new treatment options, but it's sounding like this will mostly be palliative care. They've given him about a year, so we're going to try to pack as many things into this year as we possibly can. He's really into the outdoors, so he's already been on a bear and elk hunt since his diagnosis. He wants to go fishing in Mexico, Costa Rica or maybe Belize, so I'm asking my fellow Surly degenerates for recommendations for this trip. Want to make sure he catches fish and has a good time, but trying to keep the price reasonable as my other brother and I are trying to finance a couple of these kind of trips for the young man over the next year. Fortunately despite his condition, he feels totally fine right now, so we're hoping to get in a few of his dream trips while he's still up for it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and please feel free to throw out awesome trip suggestions that a 16 year old has probably never considered.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If this 16 year old kid really wants to rip some lips, take him on a three day trip to the Chandeleur Islands. It'll run about 900 per person.

The fishing in Belize is pretty average.

Costa Rica is pretty good, @justhookit for info, but the Rona has jammed up CR. If I was going down that way I'd opt for https://www.casaviejalodge.com/ but I think travel to Guatamala is problematic right now as well

Winter Jan-Mar sailfishing out of Isla Mujeres is really good, and this Captain is top notch https://www.obsession-charters.com/mexico.html

• Hook 'Em 2

It's about life experiences more than anything, and as far as he's willing to tell us, he wants to hunt and fish...but mentioning Mexican hookers does remind me of one of my favorite stories. I was in a my mid-20s when a buddy from work got married. He was one of those guys that's birthday fell on September 1st, so he graduated at 17 and enlisted in the Navy straight out of high school. Anyway, he was working in sales and going to school at night, so he was super busy building up to the ceremony. As a groomsman, he asked me if I'd pick up a couple of his enlisted buddies also serving as groomsmen from the airport. We go back to my place to wait for him to get out of class as he's going to drive them out to their hotel in one of the Houston suburbs. It was Thursday, and I'd taken Friday off to be useful before the wedding, so we sat around drinking with a couple of my other buddies that lived in the same complex. When the groom to be walks in, he and the Navy guys immediately start talking about old times and the things they did when they were last together. Apparently, a trip to Tijuana was last thing they'd all done together. The groom kind of sheepishly said he didn't think so and was pretty sure he'd never been to Tijuana. One of the other Navy groomsmen said, "Sure you have. Don't you remember? That hooker gave you crabs, and then she robbed you." Obviously the room busted out laughing. The groom said of course I remember, but I was trying to stop you from finishing that story. All my previous groomsman duties were removed by the groom. My only assignment for the rest of the weekend was making sure that every time the story teller started talking to anyone other than former Navy buddies, I had to pull him away for "groomsman duties".

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

If this 16 year old kid really wants to rip some lips, take him on a three day trip to the Chandeleur Islands. It'll run about 900 per person.

The fishing in Belize is pretty average.

Costa Rica is pretty good, @justhookit for info, but the Rona has jammed up CR. If I was going down that way I'd opt for https://www.casaviejalodge.com/ but I think travel to Guatamala is problematic right now as well

Winter Jan-Mar sailfishing out of Isla Mujeres is really good, and this Captain is top notch https://www.obsession-charters.com/mexico.html

Yeah, if you are going to Mexico I’d do Isla Mujeres way before Cabo. Only drawback is that it’s pretty much sailfish only and they are much smaller than the Pacific sails.  Cabo is pretty much dead to me unless it’s for a tournament or to fish Mag Bay, but day trip charters don’t fish that area because it’s so far.

12 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

It's about life experiences more than anything, and as far as he's willing to tell us, he wants to hunt and fish...but mentioning Mexican hookers does remind me of one of my favorite stories. I was in a my mid-20s when a buddy from work got married. He was one of those guys that's birthday fell on September 1st, so he graduated at 17 and enlisted in the Navy straight out of high school. Anyway, he was working in sales and going to school at night, so he was super busy building up to the ceremony. As a groomsman, he asked me if I'd pick up a couple of his enlisted buddies also serving as groomsmen from the airport. We go back to my place to wait for him to get out of class as he's going to drive them out to their hotel in one of the Houston suburbs. It was Thursday, and I'd taken Friday off to be useful before the wedding, so we sat around drinking with a couple of my other buddies that lived in the same complex. When the groom to be walks in, he and the Navy guys immediately start talking about old times and the things they did when they were last together. Apparently, a trip to Tijuana was last thing they'd all done together. The groom kind of sheepishly said he didn't think so and was pretty sure he'd never been to Tijuana. One of the other Navy groomsmen said, "Sure you have. Don't you remember? That hooker gave you crabs, and then she robbed you." Obviously the room busted out laughing. The groom said of course I remember, but I was trying to stop you from finishing that story. All my previous groomsman duties were removed by the groom. My only assignment for the rest of the weekend was making sure that every time the story teller started talking to anyone other than former Navy buddies, I had to pull him away for "groomsman duties".

At least he didn’t bring a giant picture of said hooker sitting on grooms lap to the rehearsal dinner. That would never happen, right @Cajun?

• Haha 2

Old snaggle tooth down in Piedras Negras.

Took me to her room after my pals paid her to do so, put her kids in the other room, went in to the bathroom and undressed, and then came out to fire up her Walmart jam box with a the song "Hey Jude" in Spanish.

I stalled to give cover for time and then paid her everything she hadn't already stolen from my wallet to tell my posse back out in the bar, "Jour friend was muy bueno!"  But not before one shithead got a photo of her, missing front teeth and all, sitting on my lap with one hand on my crotch and the other rifling my pockets.

Said shithead then blew it up to poster size and presented it to my FIL to be at our rehearsal dinner.  Of course, my FIL was sitting right next to Dr. Clayton Bell, head Pastor of Highland Park Presbyterian Church, who married us the next day.

Good times!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

Old snaggle tooth down in Piedras Negras.

Took me to her room after my pals paid her to do so, put her kids in the other room, went in to the bathroom and undressed, and then came out to fire up her Walmart jam box with a the song "Hey Jude" in Spanish.

I stalled to give cover for time and then paid her everything she hadn't already stolen from my wallet to tell my posse back out in the bar, "Jour friend was muy bueno!"  But not before one shithead got a photo of her, missing front teeth and all, sitting on my lap with one hand on my crotch and the other rifling my pockets.

Said shithead then blew it up to poster size and presented it to my FIL to be at our rehearsal dinner.  Of course, my FIL was sitting right next to Dr. Clayton Bell, head Pastor of Highland Park Presbyterian Church, who married us the next day.

Good times!

I still can’t believe I witnessed that. Memory of a lifetime!

• Haha 1

we decided to check out and are spending 4 months this winter in the yucatan. talked to a buddy who has DIY'd the entire peninsula and he dropped a pin on a point of a bay where there's tailing permit pretty much every rising tide in the evenings. it's 15 minutes from the house. got me so excited i immediately had to shit. truth be told, have to shit just typing this post. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

we decided to check out and are spending 4 months this winter in the yucatan. talked to a buddy who has DIY'd the entire peninsula and he dropped a pin on a point of a bay where there's tailing permit pretty much every rising tide in the evenings. it's 15 minutes from the house. got me so excited i immediately had to shit. truth be told, have to shit just typing this post. 
Very jealous. What was the process in finding a house? What are you doing for a car once there?

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

There was a guy on the old site named Hollywood Colt who probably would have had the same reaction.  Seems you two have a lot in common.

25 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
43 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Very jealous. What was the process in finding a house? What are you doing for a car once there?

we had a realtor down there find the place...she also found a 2019 minivan for long term rental, $700/mo including insurance. if you see a middle-aged dude in a white mini with a wife, 3 kids, a paralyzed grandmom and half dozen fly rods, yell PM DERKAAAAAA. 

Coin flip on whether I want to be you or justhookit in my next life.
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

There was a guy on the old site named Hollywood Colt who probably would have had the same reaction.  Seems you two have a lot in common.

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That guy sucked. No wonder this other guy wants to let everyone know that he's definitely not him.

what braff said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You only need about 204 to catch Linville. 

we had a realtor down there find the place...she also found a 2019 minivan for long term rental, $700/mo including insurance. if you see a middle-aged dude in a white mini with a wife, 3 kids, a paralyzed grandmom and half dozen fly rods, yell PM DERKAAAAAA. 
How much for the house? Wife and I have kicked around doing something similar.

45 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

pm sent

3 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Fuck that...

iu.png

Edited by Cajun

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

I could watch these 24/7...

I know those guys pretty well. They have fished out of Freeport, TX for years and took the boat to Los Suenos, Costa Rica for 2 years. Nobody liked them in CR. They are back in Freeport now. Not many people like them here in Texas either.

But they are some of the best recreational sword fishermen in the world. I’ve never been into sword fishing at all - too busy with marlin and sails- but if I wanted to swordfish those would be my guys.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

I know those guys pretty well. They have fished out of Freeport, TX for years and took the boat to Los Suenos, Costa Rica for 2 years. Nobody liked them in CR. They are back in Freeport now. Not many people like them here in Texas either.

But they are some of the best recreational sword fishermen in the world. I’ve never been into sword fishing at all - too busy with marlin and sails- but if I wanted to swordfish those would be my guys.

Is that the guy with the roofing business in Houston? 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Zwylde said:

image.thumb.jpeg.54fd908fa7fe9abfd223457ff22a66c4.jpeg

Just caught this mofo off my dock.  Was trying to catch some shark bait for Saturday and he hits it.  On a piece of fish bites no less.  Oh well,  got a place on the grill ready for him tomorrow.

Shit.  I'm impressed with the edging in that photo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

They used to get sucked off pretty regular by the tards on 2cool, but yeah, they can catch some swords.

2 hours ago, davidg said:

They used to get sucked off pretty regular by the tards on 2cool, but yeah, they can catch some swords.

I never knew roofing could be that lucrative. Their office is pretty tiny, but I’ll be damned if Brett doesn’t fish for half the year, and hunt the other.  They seem to be banking pretty good on that protein they've been hocking the last few years, too. But their deer operation is crazy.  And yeah, they seem to the THE guys wrt gulf swords.  I’ve read a lot that he rubs folks the wrong way, but he’s always been pretty cool on 2cool about taking little kids and people that can’t afford it out to their ranch.