2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Got a chance to get out yesterday post little front that moved through.  One solid keeper and the second surprise of November.  Can’t believe these smacks are still so far back in the bay this late in the year in 2 foot of water.  Caught another one in the same spot first of November.

image.thumb.jpeg.d67791f85bcf6d28e3d2275214fc0db8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e4fa3a152fc8037a1389d3c630875ae5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

reds on the grass flats are hungry. limited out 2 weekends ago and 3 weekends ago before that. water depth is about 2 feet. paddle tail on 1/16 ounce jig head, slow simple retrieve keeping lure just above the grass. find the mullet, find the reds.

at first they weren't taking the paddle tail. threw topwaters over and through schools of mullet. that seemed to get the reds fired up. had many hookups on top water, but couldn't land any as they would all spit the hook. weird. tried loosening the drag but still lost every fish hooked. but i guess the top get them feeding because they started crushing the paddle tail. same with trout.

• Hook 'Em 1

I took my 9YO "charter client for life" out to some tidal creeks in the FL Panhandle yesterday. Rode through a howling wind and moving tide on the technical duck boat.

We drowned some shrimp under a popping cork with the Daiwa Fuego 3000 I got him for his birthday about 10 days ago.

Boated four reds about this size as well as four fat trout. Capt Daddy broke off a "wall hanger" trout at the gunnel which will result in a only three star yelp review from the boy. Good day otherwise.

Shrimp made things happen. Wind was cooking and you can see the sky. We wouldn't have caught much on artificials. 151ab48d9d2555cb9e030278a045d2b9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Spanish Mackerel, Jack’s, and Ladyfish are all over the beaches in SWFL right now. Pretty much could catch one of the three on every other cast. Cut up Ladyfish led to dealing with Stingrays, but they were fun to screw with for a little while. The reds were not touching anything. I guess they are fat and happy on mullet right now and I was not set up for fishing live mullet this week. May try it when I’m back in a couple of weeks if the mullet run is still on.

• Like 1

Spanish Mackerel, Jack’s, and Ladyfish are all over the beaches in SWFL right now. Pretty much could catch one of the three on every other cast. Cut up Ladyfish led to dealing with Stingrays, but they were fun to screw with for a little while. The reds were not touching anything. I guess they are fat and happy on mullet right now and I was not set up for fishing live mullet this week. May try it when I’m back in a couple of weeks if the mullet run is still on.
Mackerel are so, so good if they are prepared properly.
  • Like 1

Nice! I had a great little run in NE FL this morning. 10 whiting, 2 pompano, 2 bonnetheads all on a $2 bag of dead shrimp and fishbites. I’ve been mostly using mullet lately and hardly catching anything, so I decided just to go for quantity today

31 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Nice! I had a great little run in NE FL this morning. 10 whiting, 2 pompano, 2 bonnetheads all on a $2 bag of dead shrimp and fishbites. I’ve been mostly using mullet lately and hardly catching anything, so I decided just to go for quantity today

Throw a gold spoon, pick up a couple lady fish, then cut them in chunks and use them on fish finder rigs in place of mullet if they aren’t hitting mullet. Typically, they get destroyed but it wasn’t in the cards this week. You can also put one out on a free line during warmer months.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:35 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 11/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, Brew said:

Mackerel are so, so good if they are prepared properly.

What's the best way to prepare spanish mackerel?

I catch dozens every summer but throw them back.

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

What's the best way to prepare spanish mackerel?

I catch dozens every summer but throw them back.

Simple way is to broil them skin side down and baste them with a garlic butter and parmesan cheese mixture a couple times during the broil.  Only fresh fillets, don't freeze them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first spoon attempt was a bust. Beautiful day Sunday with fairly clear water (for here, NE FL). I threw 1.5oz silver spoons for several hours without a single hit. I started with a leader, but eventually removed it just in case they were seeing it. It was high tide which may have been a problem too.

Got some gold spoons yesterday so I’ll go out later this week and give it another run with those. Ordered a few Paul Brown Fat Boys to try too

All that said, even though I struck out, I really enjoyed just standing knee deep in the water and chunking the lure. Very peaceful which is just what I needed!

Any suggestions for waders that come in size 15 boots? Water is starting to get cool. I’ve had no luck searching online but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places.

Should buy water boots and then just stocking waders? Is that a better solution than waders w built in boots?

22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

My first spoon attempt was a bust. Beautiful day Sunday with fairly clear water (for here, NE FL). I threw 1.5oz silver spoons for several hours without a single hit. I started with a leader, but eventually removed it just in case they were seeing it. It was high tide which may have been a problem too.

Got some gold spoons yesterday so I’ll go out later this week and give it another run with those. Ordered a few Paul Brown Fat Boys to try too

All that said, even though I struck out, I really enjoyed just standing knee deep in the water and chunking the lure. Very peaceful which is just what I needed!

Any suggestions for waders that come in size 15 boots? Water is starting to get cool. I’ve had no luck searching online but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places.

Should buy water boots and then just stocking waders? Is that a better solution than waders w built in boots?

I personally prefer stocking foot waders as when you wear out the boots you can replace them. I am usually a fly fisherman though and the rocky streams and hikes can chew up the rubber more than sandy bottom stuff might. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Ordered a few Paul Brown Fat Boys to try too

Best lure made for gator trout. 

22 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Any suggestions for waders that come in size 15 boots?

You can get Simms (and likely other high end brands) with actual foot size, instead of the 8-12, 13-15 deal. 

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Is that a better solution than waders w built in boots?

I don’t like the booted waders except for hunting. Get something with the socks , then a wading boot over that*

*might be tough finding a big enough wading  boot.  Nice humble brag Mr size 15 foot. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, Brew said:

Late response, but if the reds aren't biting mullet or cut bait, try using cut crab.  Works down here in the winter most of the time.  

One of the questions I get asked most often is "How do you use crab for bait?" This is sort of a starter guide for people that have never used crab. I'm not saying that this is the"Best" way or "Only" way, but it is both easy and effective. If anyone else has a different way of doing it please feel free to share. To start out, always buy live crab, never dead or frozen because the meat will not stay in the shell once you cut the crab. They easiest way I've found to keep crab alive it to simply put them in a ice chest on top of ice, never put the ice on top of the crab because this will kill them. When you get ready to use one for bait simply remove the back, legs, and claws and cut the body in half along the seam, but the smaller ones can be used whole. To rig the crab on the hook, insert the hook into one of the leg holes and out the bottom of the shell, hooked in this fashion the bait will not come off easily and it leaves plenty of the hook exposed to ensure a good hook set. Don't forget about the claws, they are excellent bait. To rig a claw simply insert your hook in one side of the elbow joint and out the other, it will not come off and you don't have to fight trying to get the hook through the heavy clay shell. After it's on the hook break the shell up some with a pair of pliers to get the scent out. I hope this will help people just starting out to be more successful at winter time surf fishing.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

95% of the time boat on jetty pics show up, it ends up being a heart attack.  In fact the only one I can remember was the mechanic and "captain" that put their clients sportfisher on the rocks while drunk about 5-7 years ago in POC.  Usually not a USCG sled, tho.  The guy that texted it to me said there was a search and rescue going on last night.  Don't know if there is any truth to that or what it would have to do with it. 

On 12/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, Lurch said:

Went out yesterday. Tried the spoon but water temp was too cold. Fish were only nipping at it. Switched to a corky and slayed the trout. Colder water temps, slower the presentation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

95% of the time boat on jetty pics show up, it ends up being a heart attack.  In fact the only one I can remember was the mechanic and "captain" that put their clients sportfisher on the rocks while drunk about 5-7 years ago in POC.  Usually not a USCG sled, tho.  The guy that texted it to me said there was a search and rescue going on last night.  Don't know if there is any truth to that or what it would have to do with it. 

Yes it was a search and rescue mission

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

is there a nautical equivalent to flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong? 

Yes there is and I should be there.

I have:

• sunk a 22" boat in SPI, not entirely my fault but I was the captain, and almost sunk that same boat (POC, my fault) prior.....incidentally I frequently had nightmares about the boat sinking before it sank (22' Stoner Skiff)
  • almost sunk a 16" boat at the Galveston jetties boat cut (filled it up, maintained power, turned and bailed/drained in time, a lot of belongings to recover floating in the channel)
  • hit two deer at the same time, swimming the creek on the last turn coming out the east end of Pringle (POC)
  • rescued the coast guard who was rescuing another boater in a storm and lost power in East Matagorda
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Yes it was a search and rescue mission

Yes there is and I should be there.

I have:

• sunk a 22" boat in SPI, not entirely my fault but I was the captain, and almost sunk that same boat (POC, my fault) prior.....incidentally I frequently had nightmares about the boat sinking before it sank (22' Stoner Skiff)
  • almost sunk a 16" boat at the Galveston jetties boat cut (filled it up, maintained power, turned and bailed/drained in time, a lot of belongings to recover floating in the channel)
  • hit two deer at the same time, swimming the creek on the last turn coming out the east end of Pringle (POC)
  • rescued the coast guard who was rescuing another boater in a storm and lost power in East Matagorda

if ever you invite me on your boat, please remind me to decline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

sunk a 22" boat in SPI, not entirely my fault but I was the captain, and almost sunk that same boat (POC, my fault) prior.....incidentally I frequently had nightmares about the boat sinking before it sank (22' Stoner Skiff)

Can we get a story on the sinking and the almost sinking?  Maybe something we can all learn from?

I had a plug fall out of one my boats once while we were fishing...luckily it was in a bass boat so the plug was inside the transom.  Once I figured it out, I was able to get it moving and eventually get it on plane and jerry rig the plug.  Scary as hell though, in those first couple moments of watching water fill the bottom of the boat.

Almost sinking, did not put in rear hatch plugs which normally wasn't a big deal but with some husky fisherman and a 20 gallon trash can of live croaker in one corner of the boat it was a big deal that day, causing water to get into the hull. Was a bit of a surprise when I looked over, on the other side of my buddy's boat, where mine was "parked" nose up at a 45 degree angle, while I was wading about 500 yards away. A long ass run from Farwell to the Lagoon with no plugs, beached it, jumped out and put the plugs back in. Went back to catching fish.

Sinking. You should buy new drain plugs on a yearly basis. They're cheap. The boat sat in the slip too many days of limits and one night, that was that. Next morning the plan to slay them again hit a bump. Not a good walkup to the dock, to say the least. I learned all I ever need to know about raising boats from the bottom of the bay from the man who salvaged everything in the valley, the late Billy Kennon. Made a couple grand on the insurance claim after buying it back as salvage and re-selling it.

I respooled my lure casting reel with sufix 832 30lb braid

I have Malin 29lb coffee color wire

Should I terminate my braid with swivel, make some wire leaders w swivels on each end, then connect braid to leader and leader to lure with clips?

Or would you not use the leader? I’d imagine I’ll get lots of blue fish hits

Or do I need to use mono leader? If so, what test?

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Almost sinking, did not put in rear hatch plugs which normally wasn't a big deal but with some husky fisherman and a 20 gallon trash can of live croaker in one corner of the boat it was a big deal that day, causing water to get into the hull. Was a bit of a surprise when I looked over, on the other side of my buddy's boat, where mine was "parked" nose up at a 45 degree angle, while I was wading about 500 yards away. A long ass run from Farwell to the Lagoon with no plugs, beached it, jumped out and put the plugs back in. Went back to catching fish.

Sinking. You should buy new drain plugs on a yearly basis. They're cheap. The boat sat in the slip too many days of limits and one night, that was that. Next morning the plan to slay them again hit a bump. Not a good walkup to the dock, to say the least. I learned all I ever need to know about raising boats from the bottom of the bay from the man who salvaged everything in the valley, the late Billy Kennon. Made a couple grand on the insurance claim after buying it back as salvage and re-selling it.

My Whipray has a self bailing cockpit, but I stick plugs in the drains because with me on the back and the boy up front it backwashes a little water. If I get water in the cockpit running, I just pull one plug out and it drains while I run. One day I had to run the JP all the way up to clear a sandbar, but didn't put it down to make the turn into the creek I had to run, and the boat slid partially up into the mangroves, and tipped the gunnel on the right side under water and partially filled my cockpit as it slid back down the bank. I ended up having to empty the cooler and used it to bail part of the water out. Then I had to take everything out of the boat, walk it out to deeper water, and run donuts around ESB until I drained it. I went and bought a hand bilge pump after that. 

I generally use a 4’-8’ flouro leader tied on with a crazy alberto knot. I use this setup for artificials on everything from ML spinning with 10# braid/6# flouro to surf setups with 50# braid/40# flouro. I use sea striker fast snaps when casting for stripers. For bait, I’ll use a swivel as the braid to flouro connection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

I respooled my lure casting reel with sufix 832 30lb braid

I have Malin 29lb coffee color wire

Should I terminate my braid with swivel, make some wire leaders w swivels on each end, then connect braid to leader and leader to lure with clips?

Or would you not use the leader? I’d imagine I’ll get lots of blue fish hits

Or do I need to use mono leader? If so, what test?

how do you fish? casting lighter lures/arties or soaking bait? how you fish, where you fish, and what you fish for will answer you question?

if mainly throwing plastics inshore, then the 30lb is prob too much. i use 10-15lb (braid main and flourocarbon leader) and never had a fish break the line where it wasn't my fault. my fault could be bad knot or knicks in the line that i knew about and too lazy to cut line and re-tie. you would probably break your rod before a 15lb line breaks off just because of the fish. set the drag right and you shouldn't break rod or line.

re the terminal tackle swivels and clips, i DO NOT use any of that. just extra failure points and more shit for the fish to possibly see and not strike.

good video of knots. i've used this guys line to line knot for a few months. never had any issues. also, loop knot for jerk type baits and palomar to paddle tails.

this is a great channel to watch. 

Edited by crash_davis

for paddle tails where it's pretty much a straight retrieve, i tie palomar knot with braid directly to lure. my thinking is the lure is constantly moving so fish don't get a long chance to see the line.

for jerk baits or slow working twitch baits when you have longer pauses or slower retrieve, fish can inspect the shit out of the lure and presentation. for those lures, i use a loop knot on 15lb flurocarbon lure tied to 15lb braid main line with the lines to line knot in the video. i like that knot because the knot size is the smallest i've seen tying two line together. and again, it's never failed me.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

We went flounder giggling last night in POC. Tides were low and visibility was poor but we got 8 good size flounder plus a nice black drum and I got a massive sheepshead. We woke up late and we went fishing  it was pretty slow with a bunch of undersized reds but we ended up catching some nice keeper reds and one drum  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...