2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Maybe it was because of my huge cod piece.  

I had typed that, but left it out. 

I used to work with this salty ass old general superintendent, who used it as a term of endearment, and for his...cod.  

“Listen here cod. When she reached down and grabbed hold of that ol cod, she knew she was about to be in a bind”

I'm hoping someone on here can give me some help .....

I grew up going to my granddaddy's place on Goose Island every summer and learning to fish down there. He sold his place about 15 years ago and I just started going back down to Rockport, only now I'm taking my son and nephew and it's pretty surreal.

The one thing my granddad never taught me though was much about boating. He drove it and handled it and we mostly went wading down there. While I know how to back down a ramp and do the absolute most basic shit imaginable, I don't actually know how to drive/pilot/handle a smaller 20~foot boat, and I'd like to learn because my my family loves going down there and we'd like to go down there more. I can remember a bunch of places on St. Charles Bay and Aransas Bay like I was there yesterday, but I don't actually know how to handle the boat correctly to get there.

Should I be taking a class from someone for a couple of days? Is it worth doing some of the Sea Classes where I learn Marine Radio / Navigation? I know these are probably embarrassing questions to ask, but I don't know how to get started and my damn granddad (RIP) never taught me lol. Would like to be in the Corpus / Port A / Rockport area, but would go anywhere on the gulf coast to learn.

• Like 1

I’d find a guide/Capt in that area and explain that to them. 

My only advice, aside from the obvious safety/Wx first, would be to try and be as courteous as you can to other boaters/fishermen. Seems about 80% of the people on the water these days were never taught that.  The area you are speaking is pretty much my favorite place on the planet (Spaulding in particular) and it saddens me the ignorant shit I see everytime I’m there.

People bitch about ramp etiquette but on the water is the worst imo.  

Take your time.  You’ll learn it fast. Nothing about it is really hard, although can be intimidating I’m sure. 

Edited to add.  People have the most trouble with docking, from my experience.  I was always taught that whatever speed you think is slow enough, cut it back some more.  Eventually it’ll be like parking a car.  I’d find an old ramp and practice over and over.  Every boat and setup is different, so learning that yours and someone’s else’s will react different will be very important. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

I grew up going to my granddaddy's place on Goose Island every summer and learning to fish down there. He sold his place about 15 years ago and I just started going back down to Rockport, only now I'm taking my son and nephew and it's pretty surreal.

The one thing my granddad never taught me though was much about boating. He drove it and handled it and we mostly went wading down there. While I know how to back down a ramp and do the absolute most basic shit imaginable, I don't actually know how to drive/pilot/handle a smaller 20~foot boat, and I'd like to learn because my my family loves going down there and we'd like to go down there more. I can remember a bunch of places on St. Charles Bay and Aransas Bay like I was there yesterday, but I don't actually know how to handle the boat correctly to get there.

Should I be taking a class from someone for a couple of days? Is it worth doing some of the Sea Classes where I learn Marine Radio / Navigation? I know these are probably embarrassing questions to ask, but I don't know how to get started and my damn granddad (RIP) never taught me lol. Would like to be in the Corpus / Port A / Rockport area, but would go anywhere on the gulf coast to learn.

you'll make stupid ass mistakes.  we all did and some still do. i guaranteed you'll leave the drain plug out, ONCE.  hopefully you'll realize quickly enough to get the boat back on the trailer.  i was lucky.  i read a great bit of advice.  find an awful windy day where no one in his right mind will go out on any lake.  drive to the boat ramp and practice unloading and loading your boat.  if you can do it on the worst of conditions, it'll be a cake walk under normal conditions.

take a boating course.  it can't hurt.  and as you learn a new area, hire a guide.  take your gps on your boat with you so that you'll know at least some tracks to run without running aground.  it'll be the best money you've ever spent.  after that, just go slow.  saving yourself 10 mins isn't worth the risk of sinking your boat, or worse.

• Like 2

Do you already have a boat?  Not really clear in your post. If new, take the BoatUS Safe Boating course online or a USCG Auxillary class for some good boating info.  Its required in TX for those born after Sept 1, 1993.  

As for navigating, get some paper charts of the area you are going, either official NOAA or  Hook n Line type and get familiar with depth in those areas Get a good chart plotter on your boat and/or a tablet running Navionics maps.   Look at  Google Earth too, especially in shallow areas.  Just pay attention to depth and any features like obstructions, sandbars or shallow oyster reefs.   You will eventually hit bottom running shallow on the coast and mud is better than sand which is better than oyster which is better than a piling.  

Follow the advice above about docking and find an area to practice.  Its not hard as long as you are mindful of boat speed, wind and current direction and don't overpower (or underpower) you approach.  Coming in hot is usually not the best idea.   As suggested, hiring a guide/captain to go out in your boat and show you how to run it and fish those areas out of it might be a good option.

• Like 2

@FarkimedesI'll bet that you pick it up way quicker than expected.

Experience takes experience.  Though I've lauched/driven boats hundreds of times I am still very wary. Especially when I'm out there alone.

I've got a mental checklist that I always cycle through.  Here are the highlights.

Trailer pulling - everything squared away for running in a 75Mph wind?  Coolers/bait buckets weighted down or in the truck cab? Seats locked into place? tackle boxes in locked lockers? rods either put down or in the truck? (I always get nervous driving with rods in the rod rack)  Is the boat stern strapped to the trailer? safety chains/trailer lights hooked up? Trailer ball locked into the socket?  Motor tilted up enough to not drag on a driveway incline or boat ramp?  I have no hesitation to pull over and check the boat/trailer if I sense that the slightest thing is awry.

Launching/retrieving - Is the plug in? straps/hook/safety hook unhooked?  Be especially careful climbing around on the trailer tongue, especially if you're alone.  I'm one of those monkeys who puts the tailgate down and jumps over from the dock and onto the trailer to winch up the boat without getting my feet wet. Boat ramps are slippery as hell.  If launching alone, is mooring rope cleated to boat/cleated to truck bed?

Running - Depth? GPS? I'm constantly scanning for other boats and boat wakes/riptide standing waves.  I try to keep to the same tracks that I know have no surprises, and when the wind is blowing I try to keep to the lee side of whatever body of water I'm transiting to minimize chop.  Also, crew/work boats put out bow waves that are larger than one would expect, so slow down or steer accordingly.  not to be captain obvious but it's usually shallower closer to shore. . .

Fishing - I usually tilt my motor all the way up for 2 reasons - shallow water and it minimizes drag on the trolling motor.

Don't forget to flush your motor with the hose and/or adapter.  My Yamaha has a female recepticle for a garden hose.

OK now I've had a mental virtual fishing trip, so thanks for that.  I didn't catch anything but I had redfish at Pappadeaux for lunch. . .

On 9/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, Farkimedes said:

What all the guys above said, but if you are already familiar with the ramp you are ahead of over 50% of the guys that launch out of Port A. The best advice above is hire a guide for a day to go on your boat and after that you should be good to go. Good luck.

Is the actual driving a boat thing, besides the ramp, really an issue for some people? I was a mid-teen when I first learned to take a boat out with friends to the Rockport ski basin. In and out of the slip no problem. After that my family got our first boat on Travis at Hurst Harbor while I was in college and I’d take girls out on occasion to cruise/ski. I never even thought twice about it - sort of like driving a car.

my learning curve came trying to back a twin diesel in to the slip. I was terrified to do it, but once I got the hang of it it’s even easier than doing anything at the ramp.

I had a jon boat as far back as I can remember that was mine to do what I wanted with. The other boats I could take out and do what I wanted with as long as I cleaned them up and took care of them. I don’t ever remember my dad teaching me anything with them, you just picked it up by observation or trial and error. I learned rather quickly that Jon boats don’t maneuver very well when I cut the 25 on the back hard and threw myself out of it when I was probably 10 or 11.

I grew up on lakes though, so learning saltwater has been different. Tides, current, wind, water depth, navigation rules, underwater obstructions, etc were things I never worried about. Plus there are just way more people on the water now than 25-30 years ago and everyone is running around in 6+ figure boats. This all reminds me I probably need to start working with my kids on all of it.

It's pretty easy to cut your teeth driving over and wading the outside of St. Joe and Mud Island. Things are well marked, the bottom is soft, and there is always deep water on one side. Get to know where Long Reef is and how to navigate through there and you can fish Spaulding and the areas north. You will get more and more comfortable and be able to mark the reefs on the sunny calm days when it is easy to see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Par4 said:

Get to know where Long Reef is and how to navigate through there and you can fish Spaulding and the areas north

Sorry, they closed Spaulding. Sucks I know. I hear POC has tons of room tho...

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Plus there are just way more people on the water now than 25-30 years ago and everyone is running around in 6+ figure boats.

So I was gifted a 17’ skiff when I was 15.  Dad bought it for the family but never really got out as much as he wanted, so I took it constantly.  It would run 32mph WFO.  My current boat is 23’ and runs 70.    70 was a fast bay boat when I bought it, but that is no longer the case.

I guess the point I’m making is from the looks of things, apparently anyone with a decent credit score can sit in a Simmons and run ~80-90 mph.   Doesn’t mean they know what they are doing, it means they have an account at the credit union.  There are a lot of assholes out there with very fast boats running around like they own the place. Keep your head on a swivel.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So I was gifted a 17’ skiff when I was 15.  Dad bought it for the family but never really got out as much as he wanted, so I took it constantly.  It would run 32mph WFO.  My current boat is 23’ and runs 70.    70 was a fast bay boat when I bought it, but that is no longer the case.

I guess the point I’m making is from the looks of things, apparently anyone with a decent credit score can sit in a Simmons and run ~80-90 mph.   Doesn’t mean they know what they are doing, it means they have an account at the credit union.  There are a lot of assholes out there with very fast boats running around like they own the place. Keep your head on a swivel.  

the people who have 6 figure boats are the same ones who chunk dead bait on the bottom and call it fishing.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I agree with you. The boats available have gotten nuts. The only time I ever want to go faster than 40 is when I go to the land cut. I get passed by those SCB or Majek extremes going 80 with a 200 foot rooster tail. 

I have seen some knuckleheads get a little to close to waders, but nothing like the shit I see on Lake Austin. I am usually on the hunt to be where everyone else is not.

apropos boat talk.  

this appears to be the last episode.  hope he keeps this series alive and fishes new waters next season.  but imagine all the fish these dudes would've caught had they been on a SCB!!!!!!

as usual (starting @ 22:58) steven has a way with words.  makes me want to get a beater john boat for the flats.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, Par4 said:

I agree with you. The boats available have gotten nuts. The only time I ever want to go faster than 40 is when I go to the land cut. I get passed by those SCB or Majek extremes going 80 with a 200 foot rooster tail. 

That particular trip is 10x nicer in the current ride.  Even launching the old one at Yarborough was still a long ride at 30.    I’ll say this, you can’t cruise at 40 without having a boat that can haul.  The only time I’ll be screaming is the rare tournament morning or for a minute or two to “decarb” after a long trip of cruising or long idle days (offshore)    Then I’ll put her on the pins for a minute or two on the way back in, if available.  Everything else is between 38mph (3500 rpm) and 45mph (4-4200 rpm). Hopefully by the time I need a repower, Merc will have one of the new V8’s up to 350 or 400. 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

the people who have 6 figure boats are the same ones who chunk dead bait on the bottom and call it fishing.

Hey now. Mine wasn’t 6 figures but a carbon copy new build would be damn close (which is absurd).  Never been any bait on board outside of a few snapper/AJ trips. Not hating, just not my thing. 

I grew up on the lake and have been on sail and power boats since I was born. All on inland lakes. Once I graduated and had some actual money of my own, I purchased a brand new Kenner 18v. This was back before tracker destroyed them and they were the shit on the Texas coast. I’d never fished much skinny water, but thought, fuck it, I been driving a boat since I was 5. Picked that brand new boat up and dragged it to rockport. Launched it and headed south. Took first cut inland and promptly beached that brand new boat on an oyster bed in 6” of water. The sound that thing made when some good samaritan finally came along and drug me off the oyster reef will be with me the rest of my life. Been rocking lake boats ever since. Pay a guide at the coast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

POC Sucks. Too much Vibrio and too many alligators. East Matty is the hidden jewel of the Texas Coast. You should get in on it before the crowds show up.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I heard Rockport is where all the big fish are .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If "Big Fish" is a euphemism for fat people on scooters at the Walmart then you are correct. Got to have the highest percentage of handicap parking spots this side of Scottsdale. 

On 9/19/2019 at 1:03 AM, justhookit said:

Is the actual driving a boat thing, besides the ramp, really an issue for some people? I was a mid-teen when I first learned to take a boat out with friends to the Rockport ski basin. In and out of the slip no problem. After that my family got our first boat on Travis at Hurst Harbor while I was in college and I’d take girls out on occasion to cruise/ski. I never even thought twice about it - sort of like driving a car.

my learning curve came trying to back a twin diesel in to the slip. I was terrified to do it, but once I got the hang of it it’s even easier than doing anything at the ramp.

For me it's more a fear that there is something I should be doing that I'm not. My granddad served in the Navy during WWII and after for 20 years, so by the time I rode with him he piloted a small boat like he was sleeping. He would also complain constantly about people that didn't know what they were doing, but I never actually understood what they were doing wrong, just that they were clearly fucking up. 

1 hour ago, Farkimedes said:

For me it's more a fear that there is something I should be doing that I'm not. My granddad served in the Navy during WWII and after for 20 years, so by the time I rode with him he piloted a small boat like he was sleeping. He would also complain constantly about people that didn't know what they were doing, but I never actually understood what they were doing wrong, just that they were clearly fucking up. 

i imagine there's a huge difference between maritime navigation and the free for all that is texas bay system.  ship captains go through extensive training.  boat owners don't have to do a damned thing other than get behind the wheel.  so yea, i can see a navy guy getting frustrated to hell at the free for all.

with that said, you are going to do shit wrong.  you will piss off people.  people will piss you off.  just try not be a dick and learn from the times you are an inadvertent dick and it'll all be good.

stop worrying about shit.  like i said earlier, we were all idiots at some point.  some still are.  

10 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

He would also complain constantly about people that didn't know what they were doing, but I never actually understood what they were doing wrong, just that they were clearly fucking up. 

Sounds like a good man.  I also do this, whether they are fucking up or not...

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

like i said earlier, we were all idiots at some point.  some most still are.

Fark, I have no doubt you will do fine.  Like has been said, keep your head on a swivel, give fisherman a WIIIIIIIIIDDDEEE berth, and you shouldn't have any issues.  And watch yourself out there, as your grandfather taught you, there are a lot of assholes that shouldn't be anywhere near a boat.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:27 PM, Texaus said:

The sound that thing made when some good samaritan finally came along and drug me off the oyster reef will be with me the rest of my life. Been rocking lake boats ever since. Pay a guide at the coast.

I know this sound.  You can just feel the gel cote coming off no matter what you do.  I absolutely hate navigating Baffin for the same exact reason - but lakes can be as treacherous, if not worse.  I fish Toldeo 1-2x a year with a guy who's been fishing it since it was filled.  We still hit shit.  If you aren't in a boat lane, good luck T&P.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, RMac5 said:

Fatty, will loomis still replace broken rods for $100? 

So I finally got off my dead ass and sent in my CBR 781C that I broke on a mild hookset, in a tournament back in April.  I got this rod about a week after Vince held the crystal up back in ‘06, and have used it for about 90% of my bay fishing since (I’m a topwater addict). Filled out the paper and sent it in.  Within 3 days I get an email back that they are replacing it with a significantly better model at no charge. Freaking 13 yo rod that has caught tons of red fish, trout up to 30” and a dozen more over 28, and who knows how many dinks. The rub is, they are replacing it with a 7’, and that fishes worlds different (to me) than the 6’-6” they are replacing. They don’t make the upgraded model in 6-6 in a med-light mod-fast, only med. Have to go to 7’ to get med-light.  I told them I appreciated the upgrade but would gladly take my original CBR back.  He said they were out of the actual rod I broke, and couldn’t say when they’d be able to replace my exact model. So I thanked them again and took the 7’.  

I’m thinking about selling it and getting what I had originally had, as they have them on the shelf.  Replacement seems like a really nice rod (IMX-Pro 783) but unlike south Austin’s mom,  I just can’t take the length.  

Can’t say enough about how Loomis handled the situation, and very much driving my want to go back with another over a new Laguna I’ve been eyeing. 

Took my wife wade fishing for her first time every with a guide in South Padre this past weekend.  She enjoys fishing, but we haven't had much time in recent years for that due to kids, jobs, career changes, etc.  Finally getting to a point where we can get out some.  This trip was going to go one of two ways:

A) Shitty guide or shitty weather or no fish which would lead to a major setback in the progression of events to buy a house at the coast and a boat.

OR

B) Good guide, good weather and decent fishing which would lead to a major step forward in the progression of events to buy a house at the coast and a boat.

Luckily, we got option B.  Great guide (Ernest Cisneros).  Very attentive and patient with her.  Took her under his wing.  Just a really enjoyable experience with him.  Wind was blowing, but weather was good.  Didn't hammer the fish, but the bite was consistent.  We got back and she was stoked.  Called her mom, texted our son pictures of her fish.  She was on Cloud 9.  She left her phone out while she was in the shower, and I saw "Bay Boat" and "Rockport House For Sale" in her search history.  That's a good sign.  

I missed a decent trout right at dawn on a topwater.  Lots of reds just below the slot for me.  I didn't care, though.  I was just enjoying the solitude and watching my wife enjoy her day.  We ended up with five keeper trout and two keeper reds.  Great trip and should be the start of something pretty cool.  

• Like 3

My BIL and SIL went to Panama for some kayak fishing, he caught a rooster fish on the last day and she caught the female world record cabrera snapper.  I have no idea how that it is made official but they are entering the size in, whatever that means.  You can skip to the middle or so and skip all of the reeling.

• Like 2

Went deep dropping in the GOM yesterday for the first time. "Ling cod talk not going away" but we caught an Eastern Scorpion Fish that looked pretty similar to a small Ling Cod. Looking for a pic but I may have to text the group.

Wahoo trolled on the way home with no luck.

Mill pond flat 50mi South of Panama City FL 55226b532181ceb245937dde6d3c59ad.jpg

On 9/24/2019 at 2:51 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Took my wife wade fishing for her first time every with a guide in South Padre this past weekend.  She enjoys fishing, but we haven't had much time in recent years for that due to kids, jobs, career changes, etc.  Finally getting to a point where we can get out some.  This trip was going to go one of two ways:

A) Shitty guide or shitty weather or no fish which would lead to a major setback in the progression of events to buy a house at the coast and a boat.

OR

B) Good guide, good weather and decent fishing which would lead to a major step forward in the progression of events to buy a house at the coast and a boat.

Luckily, we got option B.  Great guide (Ernest Cisneros).  Very attentive and patient with her.  Took her under his wing.  Just a really enjoyable experience with him.  Wind was blowing, but weather was good.  Didn't hammer the fish, but the bite was consistent.  We got back and she was stoked.  Called her mom, texted our son pictures of her fish.  She was on Cloud 9.  She left her phone out while she was in the shower, and I saw "Bay Boat" and "Rockport House For Sale" in her search history.  That's a good sign.  

I missed a decent trout right at dawn on a topwater.  Lots of reds just below the slot for me.  I didn't care, though.  I was just enjoying the solitude and watching my wife enjoy her day.  We ended up with five keeper trout and two keeper reds.  Great trip and should be the start of something pretty cool.  

Cool. I have my own boat down there but I use Ernest occasionally. He is a good guide and very patient with inexperienced fishermen. He is all about the fishing experience, not boxing 16 inch trout on croaker. 

How did you like his new 25 foot Majek Illusion?

20 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Cool. I have my own boat down there but I use Ernest occasionally. He is a good guide and very patient with inexperienced fishermen. He is all about the fishing experience, not boxing 16 inch trout on croaker. 

How did you like his new 25 foot Majek Illusion?

You nailed it.  He's all about the experience.  I love that.  We went with a guide in Rockport a few weeks before that and boxed three limits of reds in an hour.  It was fun and all (plus I had my son with me), but ultimately, soaking bait and filling a box is light years behind wading with artificials from an overall experience standpoint.  I have yet to dip into the world of fly fishing (partly because I don't need yet another expensive hobby), but I can imagine that's pushes the boundary out even further.

The new boat is awesome.  We had a long conversation about the switch to a Suzuki.  I don't have much to compare it to, but it seemed like it had all the power you could need.  He said the hole shot isn't up to par with a Yamaha, but the fuel economy was almost twice as good.  The wind was whipping out of the south on our run back to Port Isabel, and we stayed dry as a bone.  That boat took some pretty big chop without missing a beat.  Great ride for sure.

So leaving two weeks from Sunday for what should be an absolutely epic trip.  My buddy with the kickass Cabo 48 and a couple other guys are bringing it down from Newport, while another guy and I fly to Loreto and then get shuttled to Mag Bay.  Randomly the guy I'm with (who I've known since kindergarten) happens to know the guy who owns this place:

https://magbaylodge.com/

So we will be there just the 2 of us on Sunday the 20th and they should roll in on the boat on the 21st.  We'll use the lodge as home base and fish from there for a few days- inshore, offshore, and fly- before making our way to Cabo.  Mag Bay is a notoriously epic fishing spot.  The guy running the lodge said they got 30 sails and marlin in one day last week.  We're going to hire one of their captains to take out on our boat and put us on the fish.  Could be a trip of a lifetime.  Very fired up.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

So leaving two weeks from Sunday for what should be an absolutely epic trip.  My buddy with the kickass Cabo 48 and a couple other guys are bringing it down from Newport, while another guy and I fly to Loreto and then get shuttled to Mag Bay.  Randomly the guy I'm with (who I've known since kindergarten) happens to know the guy who owns this place:

So we will be there just the 2 of us on Sunday the 20th and they should roll in on the boat on the 21st.  We'll use the lodge as home base and fish from there for a few days- inshore, offshore, and fly- before making our way to Cabo.  Mag Bay is a notoriously epic fishing spot.  The guy running the lodge said they got 30 sails and marlin in one day last week.  We're going to hire one of their captains to take out on our boat and put us on the fish.  Could be a trip of a lifetime.  Very fired up.  

pics, copious pics.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I assume y’all planned this to get to Cabo for the end of Bisbee’s? My captain and mate are fishing it along with a friend of mine. They’ve partnered with a boat and team called Tenacious. Hopefully they do well. They will be hitting Mag Bay too.

Edited by justhookit

13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I’ve heard great things about both Loreto and Mag Bay.  I’m so damn jealous...looking forward to pics though.