2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

On 10/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, fattyflattie said:

I spent the day researching what I’m about to spend a shitload of money on. And I can’t wait. 

For our Baja trip in a week, my buddy just got back from Total Wine with the booze haul and the bill was $1,300.  And that was without beer.  So needless to say this is going to be an expensive trip once we start in with the bait, tackle and fuel.

Edited by Sbbruin

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

fify

Without a doubt.  My wife gave me a rash of shit the other day after I got done talking to my buddy organizing this, saying "you get so much more excited for trips with your friends than you do with your family."  Well, I really didn't know what to say, but certainly in this case, I couldn't argue with her.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Without a doubt.  My wife gave me a rash of shit the other day after I got done talking to my buddy organizing this, saying "you get so much more excited for trips with your friends than you do with your family."  Well, I really didn't know what to say, but certainly in this case, I couldn't argue with her.

Tell her that if the family were to plan a week of offshore fishing on a kickass boat, you'd get excited for that as well.  Then duck.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Tell her that if the family were to plan a week of offshore fishing on a kickass boat, you'd get excited for that as well.  Then duck.

i've tried on a couple of occasions to mix family trips with fishing. it's always been a disaster. when my fish brain is engaged, i just can't think about anything else and trying to toggle back and forth between angler and dad/husband goes haywire. 

reading what i just wrote, it's clearer than ever that i have a problem.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i've tried on a couple of occasions to mix family trips with fishing. it's always been a disaster. when my fish brain is engaged, i just can't think about anything else and trying to toggle back and forth between angler and dad/husband goes haywire. 

Yeah, I was kidding when I wrote that.  A family fishing trip would be a shitshow for everyone involved.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yea...

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, this entire post is timely. I had this discussion 45 mins ago. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Went went to the Big Island in June, and the boy and I each scored a nice wahoo ono.  That was the highlight of that trip for the both of us.

Edited by Sbbruin

Our trip is in jeopardy.  There are like 5 major storms lined up in the Aleutian Islands that are stacking up NW swells that by next weekend are going to be pumping 9-15 ft swells for days on end.  He may not be able to bring the boat down, so we may have to punt it.  Fucked up.  Still going down tomorrow to drop of my gear and 4 racks of ribs and a pork butt I smoked, vacuum sealed and froze last weekend.  Will be devastated though.

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Our trip is in jeopardy.  There are like 5 major storms lined up in the Aleutian Islands that are stacking up NW swells that by next weekend are going to be pumping 9-15 ft swells for days on end.  He may not be able to bring the boat down, so we may have to punt it.  Fucked up.  Still going down tomorrow to drop of my gear and 4 racks of ribs and a pork butt I smoked, vacuum sealed and froze last weekend.  Will be devastated though.

Can you delay it at all? My crew is flying in Tuesday (boat is already there) for Mag Bay, skipping little Bisbee’s and then fishing the big one. I can get you current weather reports as soon as they get there.

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

Can you delay it at all? My crew is flying in Tuesday (boat is already there) for Mag Bay, skipping little Bisbee’s and then fishing the big one. I can get you current weather reports as soon as they get there.

Just left my buddy’s boat.  Dropped gear off.  Actually plan may now be to have them leave a day earlier (Wednesday) and boogie down to Mag Bay by Saturday or Sunday.  Would mean they would lose some fishing time in Baja Norte, but increase time down there. Works for me.  Definitely let us know what your seeing, but this plan gets them about one day ahead of the swell.  Crossing our fingers.

Glad someone said this. I am having a hard time getting my 8YO son to cast and catch his own fish. I am regularly getting pissy about it and I start snapping at the boy which creates a bad dynamic.

I was thinking about posting on the Surly Dads thread as this is occurring after flag football practices, trying to shoot the Red Ryder, casting and practicing casting...

Turn around at the end of the weekend and realize all I've done is ride an 8YO into the ground.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Glad someone said this. I am having a hard time getting my 8YO son to cast and catch his own fish. I am regularly getting pissy about it and I start snapping at the boy which creates a bad dynamic.

I was thinking about posting on the Surly Dads thread as this is occurring after flag football practices, trying to shoot the Red Ryder, casting and practicing casting...

Turn around at the end of the weekend and realize all I've done is ride an 8YO into the ground.

Does the boy have someone his own age to fish with or shoot BB guns with? Draft someone if you need to. Give 'em each a rod and reel and let 'em share a tackle box with a few things in it. Give 'em each a Daisy and a big box of BBs. Then cut 'em loose some place that they can't do any real damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Woah, hey, I didn’t say I turned into a huge dick!

😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Glad someone said this. I am having a hard time getting my 8YO son to cast and catch his own fish. I am regularly getting pissy about it and I start snapping at the boy which creates a bad dynamic

My 7yo daughter is the opposite. She doesn’t want to listen when I’m teaching her what to do - wants to do it ALL herself.  But she sucks at it. Bout to take her back to a cane pole and a can of corn and start over from the top. 

19 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Does the boy have someone his own age to fish with or shoot BB guns with? Draft someone if you need to. Give 'em each a rod and reel and let 'em share a tackle box with a few things in it. Give 'em each a Daisy and a big box of BBs. Then cut 'em loose some place that they can't do any real damage.

If you have a big yard or open space, rig him up with a plug with no hooks, set up a couple "targets" at different distances and let him go at it.  That's what my brother and I did.  Of course it works better with 2 kids competing.  

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If you have a big yard or open space, rig him up with a plug with no hooks, set up a couple "targets" at different distances and let him go at it.  That's what my brother and I did.  Of course it works better with 2 kids competing.  

My kids literally wore out a pair of zebco 33s casting down the driveway and street.  The streetlight next door and our trees had 4 or 5 of these hanging in them at any one time.

81TL6v8EGXL._SX425_.jpg

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

My kids literally wore out a pair of zebco 33s casting down the driveway and street.  The streetlight next door and our trees had 4 or 5 of these hanging in them at any one time.

81TL6v8EGXL._SX425_.jpg

Yeah my brother and I used Zebcos.  My brother learned real quick not to practice with pyramid weights in St. Augustine grass.  Got one stuck, yanked on it, and spent the next couple minutes rolling in the grass moaning after it hit him in the knee.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:56 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Can anyone think of a cool ranch that has good fly fishing but a lot of the other "family" stuff like horseback riding, hiking, etc.?  Maybe even some pampering stuff for the gals?  Something in Montana, Idaho, or Colorado maybe?  I would love to TRY to do something like that.  Have done tons of saltwater fishing with the boy, but no fly fishing, which I really enjoy.  Would be willing to spend a bit if it was worth it. 

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Can anyone think of a cool ranch that has good fly fishing but a lot of the other "family" stuff like horseback riding, hiking, etc.?  Maybe even some pampering stuff for the gals?  Something in Montana, Idaho, or Colorado maybe?  I would love to TRY to do something like that.  Have done tons of saltwater fishing with the boy, but no fly fishing, which I really enjoy.  Would be willing to spend a bit if it was worth it. 

Ruby Springs Lodge in MT is super high end with spa etc

4UR Ranch in CO on the upper Rio Grande is a classic for what you describe

Brush Creek Ranch in WY, also super swanky

Rancho Pinoso in CO has lots of private water, a horseback riding program, etc

There are a number of other similar options in the U.S. But, I would also look at going to Patagonia or New Zealand. It would not cost that much more, and would be a lifetime experience for the whole family. PM me if you want to drill down some more, I book fly fishing travel for a living.

• Like 3

There are a number of other similar options in the U.S. But, I would also look at going to Patagonia or New Zealand. It would not cost that much more, and would be a lifetime experience for the whole family. PM me if you want to drill down some more, I book fly fishing travel for a living.

Man...I wanna talk with you.

Also, many years ago, we did a family trip from Buenos Aires to the Bariloche area (my folks lived in BA for a few years). We stayed at a beautiful lodge on lake nahuel huapi in Villa Langostura. The ladies enjoyed the lodge, and a private tour of the seven lakes region (it’s one of the most beautiful places we’ve ever been). Dad and I fished the rio pichilefu - we had 30+ fish days. They weren’t huge (there are some hogs on the nearby rio limay), but it was amazing. And, a couple of days in BA on either end is awesome. Highly recommend.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texastough said:

Wow, you ain't kidding with the $$$.  Family of four could be $20K.  Maybe not quite in the range I was thinking.

The non-anglers would pay substantially less, but yes this stuff can be pricey. Keep in mind that these are package deals that include all accommodations, food/beverage, fishing guides, etc. I found that trying to do trips a la carte ends up costing almost as much and then you're behind a big learning curve and the experience is not the same. 

All that being said, there are plenty of places in the west where you can essentially rent a cabin, fish self-guided (or hire a guide for a day or two), and choose whatever other activities fit the budget (4 wheeling, horseback, rafting, hiking, etc). That would cost a fraction of the high end all inclusive lodges. Nearly every ski town has these kind of options.

went to charlies in seadrift on saturday.  i was expecting a low tide with the north blind blowing through the previous day.  i was wrong.  the reds weren't exactly where i though they would be which is a cut from the back marsh.  water was not rushing out of the cut like i thought it would be.  reds and trout usually stage outside of that cut during strong north wind.  so the tide was still about a 1-1.5 foot higher than normal, i went to my second place where i thought they would be and they were there.

during higher than normal tides, i find that the reds will be in the icw along the shoreline with stone blocks which act as erosion barriers.  the reason is that the shoreline is not a gradual slope, there's usually a foot to 2 feet depth right along that shoreline with the stone pavers.  the reds are always tight along those pavers.  they lie on the bottom, ambush and push the bait up the pavers along the shoreline.  this type of fishing is great for a kayak as i can paddle right along the shoreline and cast up and down the shoreline slowly working a swim bait.  caught my limit within 20 mins with the largest being 26".  this pattern seems to be really consistent during the fall and winter days with higher tides.  then i went to a flats where i caught 3 more good sized (18-22") trout slowly working a troutsupport grass walker lure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texastough said:

The non-anglers would pay substantially less, but yes this stuff can be pricey. Keep in mind that these are package deals that include all accommodations, food/beverage, fishing guides, etc. I found that trying to do trips a la carte ends up costing almost as much and then you're behind a big learning curve and the experience is not the same. 

All that being said, there are plenty of places in the west where you can essentially rent a cabin, fish self-guided (or hire a guide for a day or two), and choose whatever other activities fit the budget (4 wheeling, horseback, rafting, hiking, etc). That would cost a fraction of the high end all inclusive lodges. Nearly every ski town has these kind of options.

i like the way you vacation.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm turning 40 this summer and was looking to plan a trip to a wyoming or montana dude ranch with private water and access to float trips. did some homework and told the old lady we'll be staying in the camper on public land. it'll be a shitshow but i'll save a fortune.

most of the western states is all federal public land with very little fences.  i've seen hunting shows where the hunter basically drives up on some dirty road, parks and then goes off for a few days hunting and camping where ever.  is that the way it works in public land?  can you drive off anywhere your 4x4 will take you and camp when and where ever?

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

most of the western states is all federal public land with very little fences.  i've seen hunting shows where the hunter basically drives up on some dirty road, parks and then goes off for a few days hunting and camping where ever.  is that the way it works in public land?  can you drive off anywhere your 4x4 will take you and camp when and where ever?

yep. some areas are designated wildnerness areas and have restrictions on motorized vehicles, but national forest and BLM is do what you want where you want. hell, i own it.

19 minutes ago, texastough said:

depuy's or armstrong's late july for a day?

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm turning 40 this summer and was looking to plan a trip to a wyoming or montana dude ranch with private water and access to float trips. did some homework and told the old lady we'll be staying in the camper on public land. it'll be a shitshow but i'll save a fortune.

You should look at doing a guided float on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Smith River in MT, or something similar. They cost a lot less than a full-blown lodge and are super fun.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yep. some areas are designated wildnerness areas and have restrictions on motorized vehicles, but national forest and BLM is do what you want where you want. hell, i own it.

i fucking love this idea.  texas is 99% state/privately owned.  the idea of public land is foreign to most texans, like me.  and fuck anyone who wants to limit public land ownership and usage.

1 minute ago, texastough said:

You should look at doing a guided float on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Smith River in MT, or something similar. They cost a lot less than a full-blown lodge and are super fun.

i'm 1.5 hours from the gunny and float it annually (although always day floats from smith fork down to pleasure park or pleasure park down)...have camped in the canyon but haven't been able to do the multi-day fishing trip yet. tentative summer plan...leaving CO and headed to pinedale, fish for 3 days, then headed to paradise valley to fish for another 3 days. want to do 1 day at a spring creek, guided floats the rest.

56 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm 1.5 hours from the gunny and float it annually (although always day floats from smith fork down to pleasure park or pleasure park down)...have camped in the canyon but haven't been able to do the multi-day fishing trip yet. tentative summer plan...leaving CO and headed to pinedale, fish for 3 days, then headed to paradise valley to fish for another 3 days. want to do 1 day at a spring creek, guided floats the rest.

Sounds like a plan! Another great one for a celebration (birthday, bachelor party, etc) that won't break the bank is Woodland Plantation about an hour south of New Orleans. Incredible redfish fishing, the lodge is the old plantation mansion on the label of Southern Comfort whiskey, and you go tear it up in New Orleans for a night or two after fishing. All included at Woodland is only about $600 per day if you have two anglers on the boat.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Gunny from Smith Fork to the PP is one of my favorite places on earth.  So beautiful and so damn many fish in there.

Were you ever able to run up the river in a jet boat with Leroy?  He died a couple years ago but was the owner of the PP.  His wife owns it now.  He was a fucking character.  On the water by 5:30 and drunk by 1 or 2 every day.  

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Gunny from Smith Fork to the PP is one of my favorite places on earth.  So beautiful and so damn many fish in there.

Were you ever able to run up the river in a jet boat with Leroy?  He died a couple years ago but was the owner of the PP.  His wife owns it now.  He was a fucking character.  On the water by 5:30 and drunk by 1 or 2 every day.  

yep, crazy drunk. supposedly when she dies they're going to lose the license to run that jet boat which is a damn shame. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yep, crazy drunk. supposedly when she dies they're going to lose the license to run that jet boat which is a damn shame. 

Leroy always told people that the lease expired when he did, so I'm not sure what the deal is with it.  Glad it's still there for now, though.  We floated down there last summer during the Salmonfly hatch.  

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Leroy always told people that the lease expired when he did, so I'm not sure what the deal is with it.  Glad it's still there for now, though.  We floated down there last summer during the Salmonfly hatch.  

we nailed the hatch a couple of years ago and for about a 3 hour stretch we were just laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. it was just too stupid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

we nailed the hatch a couple of years ago and for about a 3 hour stretch we were just laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. it was just too stupid.

Yeah, we've only truly hit the hatch once, several years ago.  We were a few days late last year, but still plenty of action.

24 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Damn, this DNHC character lives just about as ridiculous a life as the original HC.

Well, they rolled at 4 am this morning from Newport to Ensenada, so we are a go.  What was going to be a fun fishing run down the baja coast or them is now going to be a hot run to stay ahead of the swells as best they can.  Looks like all I'm missing is a really long boat ride.  I was bummed at first to miss the fist 4 days, now I dodged a major bullet.  

On 10/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, texastough said:

Yep.  Go rent a house or condo in Telluride or Aspen.   All the shit you want to do is there. Plus good dining and spa shit.  

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, they rolled at 4 am this morning from Newport to Ensenada, so we are a go.  What was going to be a fun fishing run down the baja coast or them is now going to be a hot run to stay ahead of the swells as best they can.  Looks like all I'm missing is a really long boat ride.  I was bummed at first to miss the fist 4 days, now I dodged a major bullet.  

Yeah, long boat rides are no fun and I’ve done plenty of them. My guys fished yesterday and said the weather was great, but he had no idea what it was doing up north where your friend is coming from. It’s starting to sound like y’all may end up fishing Mag Bay at the same time. They’ll be on Tenacious.

Edited by justhookit