2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

23 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If you fish over a lot of shell and oyster reef, the Patagonia River Salt boots are awesome...spendy, though. 

That they are $$. Danner makes nice stuff, though. Trying to wrap my head around an actual boot over the wader stockings.  Assuming it wouldn’t play hell with the gravel guards etc. 

eta: looks like the “foot tractor” is for stocking foot waders  Going go look further into them 

Edited by fattyflattie

Everlast Ray Guard boots. Yeah they are big and heavy but I ain't tryna get stuck and I've abused a pair for 10 years + from Galveston to SPI and they are still going strong.I get mine about 3 sizes too big for my stocking foot breathables or neoprene sock wet wading

Popping cork? the big heavy ones with the loud clicker beads and heavy gauge wire cast a country mile and I have been doing quite well with that Gulp or DSL under a popping cork. It ain't a topwater, but it catches more fish 

damn I need to go fishing

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've got a buddy that found a pair of Chippewa snake boots on Sierra Trading Post on clearance and bought them for wading boots. He looks redneck as fuck, but he doesn't GAF about oysters or stingrays. (He also wears a straw Resistol fishing)

I hope he cut some drain holes in them

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Use caution.  Dangerous place to wade. 

Interested if anyone has opinions on this. I wasn’t overly impressed with the Simms boots. Not to say they aren’t ok, but they appear to come out of the same factory as every single pair of wading boots I’ve ever had.  Haven’t put my hands on the orvis ones, but they look really good online.  My last pair of “shimano” boots lasted about 10 years, but I don’t get into too many reefs. 

As for SLP, just stay a good ways away from the actual Pass.  While the tide can be strong on the surrounding flats, it is manageable.

The first Simms wading boots I had were not that great.  They were clunky and heavy.  I never had a pair of the OceanTek boots, but heard good things.  I wade a lot of shell in the fall/winter and my current pair of VaporTreads held up great.  Had them since they came out and will be retired this year.  They are also super comfortable.  Those boots were discontinued and a new boot is coming out this fall. 

20 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Everlast Ray Guard boots. Yeah they are big and heavy but I ain't tryna get stuck and I've abused a pair for 10 years + from Galveston to SPI and they are still going strong.I get mine about 3 sizes too big for my stocking foot breathables or neoprene sock wet wading

Popping cork? the big heavy ones with the loud clicker beads and heavy gauge wire cast a country mile and I have been doing quite well with that Gulp or DSL under a popping cork. It ain't a topwater, but it catches more fish 

damn I need to go fishing

Those may be the most uncomfortable things made. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I have no problem with them, my fishing buddies all wear them, and have never been stuck in miles of wading

I only wear them in summer, and only then about half as much as I should.  Heaviest most uncomfortable things on earth.  I think I still have scars on my shins from them, earned before I learned a good pair of soccer socks are needed.  I will bookmark this for when I inevitably get stuck.  There were some misprint (labels were upside down) ones on ebay not too long ago for about $50.  Mine are at least 15 yo and the zippers are still hanging in there, but hit them with corrosion x when I wash them after a trip.

They are only more comfortable, slightly, than the strap on guards, which are complete fail imo.  I wore them a few times after a friend of a friend got stuck, and they bought 10-15 pairs to give guests fishing out of their place.  The guy that got stuck got it very bad in the calf, and it was a loooooooong road to recovery. 

Are they heavy? Yes. Are you in a foot race? No. If you have scars or other issues they don't fit right. Half the time I forget my neoprene socks and just wear ankle socks, still, no problem. You got to buy them about 3 sizes up and then they are comfortable with your waders and neoprene socks. They have to be just loose enough to kick off.

46 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

.  I think I still have scars on my shins

This.  Even when I tucked my pants into the boots, they still caused blisters.  Fuck that noise.

ForNeverLast is about to release Kevlar socks.  I question how much they'll protect against stingrays, but an interesting option if they do. 

10 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

This.  Even when I tucked my pants into the boots, they still caused blisters.  Fuck that noise.

I went and bought some really tall soccer socks.  You have to fold them over at the point it rubs for it to be effective, 1 layer doesn't do it.  But will work fine when folded over.  If I forget the socks, no go on the boots.  These days open wounds are as dangerous as the damn rays, it seems.  They may have fixed that default since I bought mine, but I know a few guys on my regular crew had the same issues.  

31 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I got some lace up Frogg Toggs and so far so good.

I had Soft Science and they are incredibly light but quality wasn’t there and they sucked trying to wade in mud/grass. Great for summer flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried those soft science and didn't like.  They were light af though.  

sooo im a completely noob about the art of fishing.  i mean i know how to cast a line from the odd trips as a kid or on the occasional offshore charters.  but i dont know how to fish solo.

i'd like to do casual coastal fishing -- lots of shoreline here. and probably some freshwater fishing in rivers and lakes and whatever.

1.  what sort of rod/reel should i look that's appropriate for novice.  and is the same setup appropriate for both salt+freshwater as above. 

2.  is there a magical do it all tackle box kit good for most situations?  supposedly these are the catch here:  cod, sea trout, or halibut, or salmon, or perhaps a haddock, plaice, mackerel, monkfish, ling, tusk …

not looking for a big catch.  just something to burn idle time while drinking beer.

Reel: depends on preference, baitcaster vs spinning. 

Baitcaster

Pros:

• Easier to control distance and pin point casts
  • Better feel with artificial lures, especially if fishing jerk baits
  • Lighter than spinning reels; will make a difference if throwing arties all day

Cons:

• BIG CON: Harder to maintain. I have to be diligent about cleaning my reels or else the anti reverse crank handle bearing will rust. Also need to regularly clean the spool bearing to prevent rust and maintain good spin for casts. Definitely more moving parts than spinning reels.
  • Harder to learn to casts; more difficult to keep from bird's nest especially casting into the wind
  • Not as good at casting really light lures as spinning
  • Pay more for quality: $100 baitcaster does not have same quality as $100 spinning. You have to pay more for quality.

Spinning

Pros:

• Pay less for quality. $100 spinning reel is much better quality than a $100 baitcaster.
  • Maintenance is a breeze. Unless you dunk the reel in salt water, maintenance pretty much only involves wiping down the reel after a saltwater trip and if it has an oil port, add a few drops of oil every 6 months or depending on how often you fish. Spinning reels have much fewer parts to break and maintain. Unless you dunk the reel, the innards will not be affected by salt water intrusion and don't have to worry about handle bearing rusting during normal usage.
  • If fishing the wading the surf, I would only use spinning.
  • Cast heavy to light stuff well. If fishing ultra light, then the best option is a spinning set up.
  • If fishing by soaking bait, then spinning is the only way to go.
  • There's not much difference between a $100 and a $200 spinning reel.

Cons:

• Not as much feel with the lure if fishing jerk baits or anything involving slack in the line during retrieve.
  • Heavier. If you are casting lures all day, the spinning gear is more tiring.

From the above you would think that everyone uses spinning gear. That's true for the rest of the US but not for Texas. We love our baitcasters. I have 8 baitcasting reels and 2 spinning reels. The spinning reels are for novices who don't know how to use a baitcaster. For me, fishing is just better (lighter, feels better, better connection with the lure, less fatiguing) with a baitcaster.

If your type of fishing is throwing arties in salt and fresh, I would recommend the lightest reel that you can get for your budget. For rods, i would get a 6'6" to 6'8" rods. For line, throw on 15 lb power pro braid for either spinning or baitcasting. Just make sure they have mono backing on the spool. You don't want to to braid directly to the spool.

Lures, you can basically use the same lures for Fresh in the Salt. However, may need to change the hooks if the hooks are too thin. A mid-upper slot red will straighten some smaller, thinner hooks.

- Top Water: One bigger and one smaller: They differ in the color, action and sound that they make. I wouldn't worry too much about it starting off.

- Jerk Baits, may favorite search bait.

• One or two hard plastic
  • Soft plastic: there are way too many options.
    • I really like the TroutSupport Grass Walker paired with 5/0 Trokar TK140 or TK150 hooks and the TTF Trout Killer II paired with same hooks. For the Trout Killer II, you need to slit the underside of the bait to allow movement of the hook to improve the hookset. Get a dark and light color.
    • Fluke type jerk baits. 

- Paddle tails: way to many options. Some have better tail movement than others. DownSouth lures are GREAT. Their tails have great action. Get light and dark colors.

- Worms, mainly for freshwater and bass. This opens up a whole set of discussions. 

I'm a Shimano guy. You simply cannot go wrong with any of their stuff.

Edited by crash_davis

48 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

All good info but don’t come up in here with your spinning gear is for novices bullshit

How many baitcasters you see being worked upside down on the jetties...

j/k there are some really nice spinning setups. I love an offshore spinning setup and my PB yellowfin was caught on a plug and spinning rig. 

As for SLP, just stay a good ways away from the actual Pass.  While the tide can be strong on the surrounding flats, it is manageable.
The first Simms wading boots I had were not that great.  They were clunky and heavy.  I never had a pair of the OceanTek boots, but heard good things.  I wade a lot of shell in the fall/winter and my current pair of VaporTreads held up great.  Had them since they came out and will be retired this year.  They are also super comfortable.  Those boots were discontinued and a new boot is coming out this fall. 

I got swept out once at SLP as a kid and once in POC on the flat near Mitchell's cut. Was lucky to swim back in and make it look like just waded really really far. Pops was only pissed I dunked my rod and went so far. Millers Light likely gave me more cover
  • Like 1

j/k there are some really nice spinning setups. I love an offshore spinning setup and my PB yellowfin was caught on a plug and spinning rig. 
If I can only take one rod on an offshore trip it's a spinner. And I have some nice Accurates...
  • Like 1

Reel: depends on preference, baitcaster vs spinning. 
Baitcaster
Pros:
  • Easier to control distance and pin point casts
  • Better feel with artificial lures, especially if fishing jerk baits
  • Lighter than spinning reels; will make a difference if throwing arties all day
Cons:
  • BIG CON: Harder to maintain. I have to be diligent about cleaning my reels or else the anti reverse crank handle bearing will rust. Also need to regularly clean the spool bearing to prevent rust and maintain good spin for casts. Definitely more moving parts than spinning reels.
  • Harder to learn to casts; more difficult to keep from bird's nest especially casting into the wind
  • Not as good at casting really light lures as spinning
  • Pay more for quality: $100 baitcaster does not have same quality as $100 spinning. You have to pay more for quality.
Spinning
Pros:
  • Pay less for quality. $100 spinning reel is much better quality than a $100 baitcaster.
  • Maintenance is a breeze. Unless you dunk the reel in salt water, maintenance pretty much only involves wiping down the reel after a saltwater trip and if it has an oil port, add a few drops of oil every 6 months or depending on how often you fish. Spinning reels have much fewer parts to break and maintain. Unless you dunk the reel, the innards will not be affected by salt water intrusion and don't have to worry about handle bearing rusting during normal usage.
  • If fishing the wading the surf, I would only use spinning.
  • Cast heavy to light stuff well. If fishing ultra light, then the best option is a spinning set up.
  • If fishing by soaking bait, then spinning is the only way to go.
  • There's not much difference between a $100 and a $200 spinning reel.
Cons:
  • Not as much feel with the lure if fishing jerk baits or anything involving slack in the line during retrieve.
  • Heavier. If you are casting lures all day, the spinning gear is more tiring.
From the above you would think that everyone uses spinning gear. That's true for the rest of the US but not for Texas. We love our baitcasters. I have 8 baitcasting reels and 2 spinning reels. The spinning reels are for novices who don't know how to use a baitcaster. For me, fishing is just better (lighter, feels better, better connection with the lure, less fatiguing) with a baitcaster.
If your type of fishing is throwing arties in salt and fresh, I would recommend the lightest reel that you can get for your budget. For rods, i would get a 6'6" to 6'8" rods. For line, throw on 15 lb power pro braid for either spinning or baitcasting. Just make sure they have mono backing on the spool. You don't want to to braid directly to the spool.
Lures, you can basically use the same lures for Fresh in the Salt. However, may need to change the hooks if the hooks are too thin. A mid-upper slot red will straighten some smaller, thinner hooks.
- Top Water: One bigger and one smaller: They differ in the color, action and sound that they make. I wouldn't worry too much about it starting off.
- Jerk Baits, may favorite search bait.
  • One or two hard plastic
  • Soft plastic: there are way too many options.
    • I really like the TroutSupport Grass Walker paired with 5/0 Trokar TK140 or TK150 hooks and the TTF Trout Killer II paired with same hooks. For the Trout Killer II, you need to slit the underside of the bait to allow movement of the hook to improve the hookset. Get a dark and light color.
    • Fluke type jerk baits. 
- Paddle tails: way to many options. Some have better tail movement than others. DownSouth lures are GREAT. Their tails have great action. Get light and dark colors.
- Worms, mainly for freshwater and bass. This opens up a whole set of discussions. 

I'm a Shimano guy. You simply cannot go wrong with any of their stuff.

Great post.
I fish spinners a lot with kids and noobs.
But also in the back lakes with topwaters and spoons(cast up wind for sight fishing)

If I'm doing a long wade or fishing tournament style all day I want a baitcaster. The range and control matters to me.

6 hours ago, Born to Run said:
8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If I can only take one rod on an offshore trip it's a spinner. And I have some nice Accurates...

Myman.gif

Yeah the twin disc are hard to beat. They make (used to?) really nice spinning reels too, but looks like they may have left if up to Van Staal now.  Website no longer lists the twin spin. 

Went to my honey hole at Keith Lake but caught the strong incoming tide which I hate, only kept one mid slot Red and just had him lightly smoked/seared halfshell over hickory. 4 times the usual number of boats, seems like everyone had the same idea and didn't want to deal with going to LA and getting stopped on the way back, or deal with a howling E wind on Sabine Lake.  Saw 2 different boats grind their skegs (hopefully not props or hulls) on the oyster reef or rockpile near the Umphrey boat ramp.  Just that awful grinding metal sound.

My primary reels are getting reworked and for sentimental purposes I brought my 30 yr old Abu Garcia 5500C and an old school All Star graphite rod and used it most of the morning instead of my newish Curado.  Felt like it weighted twice as much as my usual rigs.  Really put technological advances into perspective.  Maybe next week I'll use my 1985 Lew's Speed spool by Browning reel on a Browning IM6 rod.

No LEO presence at all, ramps open, my bait guy had plenty of shrimp.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

More pics from you salties, please. The only way I catch specs and reds is vicariously, through y'all.

f4b24786d1574ba54686ccc65b7e0016.jpg

f743bc113d3dc651dcc46417616cdca7.jpg

All fish caught right at dark two weeks ago.

One red was 27 1/2 and another was 26 1/2. Biggest trout was 23”. I regret not bouncing a jig on the bottom and seeing if there was a founder around.

They blackened up nicely in the skillet.

More thank likely will head down again this week if the weather permits.

5d7c0a9245bb5f01cfdb56b242e8f8ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

On 4/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, 4th and 5 said:

All good info but don’t come up in here with your spinning gear is for novices bullshit

I have 5 spinning setups at the beach (2 9 ft surf setups and 3 6.5-7.5 foot setups), 4 at home (all light weight setups), a bait caster and a fly rod setup. I’m partial to spinners. You definitely can wear down throwing lures, but I usually fish a couple hours at a time. I would be willing to bet I can hit a target with one as well as most with bait casters. I prefer the ease of use and low maintenance of them along with the versatility. 

More pics from you salties, please. The only way I catch specs and reds is vicariously, through y'all.
Couple weeks ago on a trout trip. Decided to get some chum out of the freezer in my garage beer fridge and soak it at a rock pile during dead high tide. Couldn't catch live bait because nobody brought a sabiki or any small bream hooks on the boat (three tackle bags, easily $1K in terminal tackle on the boat). Had to get rid of the chum so we hit the pile anyway. My buddy bent a khale hook and caught a few massive spot tail pinfish. This is what we bagged on the first one. I let him in the picture because he: bent his hook, caught the bait, floated it back and then ultimately netted the fish. a4451e9b5eff3a0ff6357c446ffbefca.jpg
  • Like 4

Myman.gif
Yeah the twin disc are hard to beat. They make (used to?) really nice spinning reels too, but looks like they may have left if up to Van Staal now.  Website no longer lists the twin spin. 
Yeah my favorite Accurate spinner is in about 350' of water between A 7 and Dutra Rock when some noob got tip wrapped on a freaking Sail we jumped trolling out on a weed line. Inglorious funeral.

West Galveston Bay last Thursday afternoon.  One a piece (both about 19") for me and my buddy wading with live shrimp.  Water was in great shape despite the wind but no bait present in the area.  Loaded up after two hours and went and anchored on top of Caranchua reef and boated 5 more as the sun was going down.

spacer.png

Hopefully I will be able to post a whole lot more pics as this is now my permanent residence.  

spacer.png

However, I need to fill that boat slip up.  I'm still looking so if any of you have a relatively new bay boat you're looking to unload PM me.

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

that looks like a used fly that you found on the river bank. 

i keed.

It's pretty gnarly, but it'll fish.

I watched him tie it on YouTube yesterday, man kept me rapt for over an hour tying one fly. I tried tying one in purple and black as well. Main issues are hook and eyes. I'm using Mustad 3366 and small lead eyes. This combo leads me to crowding the head and having to shave so close for the eyes to be visible that I lose the necessary material to keep that nice bullet shaped head.

I might try today, but skip the dubbed body on the front hook to make a bigger head.

i want to be able to walk to my local fishing spots.  should i look for telescoping fishing rods? or some other collapsible /backpacking compatible system?

otherwise the store offers a kit with this shimano xt rod, looks like it breaks into 2 sections so thats still a lengthy thing to have to transport ?

https://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/fish/eu/gb/en/homepage/Product-detail.P-FX_XT.html

edit: for beginner stuff mostly on shoreline/pier, but sometimes lakes as well.  it says system is for 10-30g (1/3rd to 1oz) bait weight

Edited by 52-80

theres a set of RT Steelhead telescoping rod and Okuma Azaki AZ-20/30 reels. 

just have to pick length and casting weight.  could do 6', 7', or 8', with weighs of 2-12g, 5-20g, 7-28g... i suppose ill just go smack down the middle route.  locally supposed to be sea trout and salmon

Went out this morning for a quick trip.  Only got out at two places.  All of the trout I caught were fat (up to 4.5#).  Met some buddies at the second stop.  One of them had a 4# flounder.  Kept three fish to eat.  All of our fish were caught on Saltwater Assassins.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

Went out this morning for a quick trip.  Only got out at two places.  All of the trout I caught were fat (up to 4.5#).  Met some buddies at the second stop.  One of them had a 4# flounder.  Kept three fish to eat.  All of our fish were caught on Saltwater Assassins.  

over shell? and how deep?