2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

There’s still hope for you. The freshwater habit is expensive, but it’s manageable. If you get the flats salt bite, it will completely wreck you in every conceivable way. 

Side note: Shout out to my wife. It took her a few years to accept the addiction. She doesn’t understand it, but she accepts it. I have a buddy that is a full-blown addict (has spent north of $130k chasing permit alone) and his wife hates him for it. They were arguing about fishing one day and he yells (And I quote) “if you step into the ring with my fishing you will fucking lose, do you understand me!?!?”

I shut craigslist down after 3 minutes of “just looking” at salt water CCs. But on the freshwater side of things I’m hoping my operating costs are about to plummet. I can tie a solid cinch knot and can fish dry and wet with multiple lures. I can walk into a shop and ask intelligent-ish questions and I can at least feign ability on the river. If I could just start catching then it’s game on. My sunk costs are the gear, truck, RV and prior guided trips. Those expenses could now be behind me. Then of course I’m looking at a 2-3 day float down the Black Canyon next summer so who am I kidding, once costs are behind me we just find new ways to blow through cash. But seriously, 2-3 day float trip down the Black Canyon fishing the Gunnison? Jesus man that’s like pinnacle stuff I think.

Most of it was a new (to me) truck and a fifth wheel (see the RV thread) so we could travel. I’d love to fish local Texas rivers and I likely will but my preference is cooler climates like Colorado and the travel to and from isn’t cheap even if you camp in an RV. And then there’s the catching part. It’s not exactly easy to catch as a noob. Guides know what lures to use and where to cast and where to go. If the last three days of on my own have taught me anything it’s that these guides truly earn their money and that then increases your costs too.
Next stop is buying a mountain house so you have a base of operations from which to explore places to fish.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

I shut craigslist down after 3 minutes of “just looking” at salt water CCs. But on the freshwater side of things I’m hoping my operating costs are about to plummet. I can tie a solid cinch knot and can fish dry and wet with multiple lures. I can walk into a shop and ask intelligent-ish questions and I can at least feign ability on the river. If I could just start catching then it’s game on. My sunk costs are the gear, truck, RV and prior guided trips. Those expenses could now be behind me. Then of course I’m looking at a 2-3 day float down the Black Canyon next summer so who am I kidding, once costs are behind me we just find new ways to blow through cash. But seriously, 2-3 day float trip down the Black Canyon fishing the Gunnison? Jesus man that’s like pinnacle stuff I think.

One suggestion based on my experience...as my posting history suggests, I’m a knucklehead. That translated into me spending around 150-200 days on the water trying to figure it out myself. I didn’t catch a single fish in any of those 200 outings. Not 1. I had multiple instances where I threw my rod like a javelin into bushes. It was brutal.

Then I came home one day and my wife said “why don’t you hire a guide and he can teach you?” Brilliant, why didn’t I think of that? 

My advice is this, as much as you can afford, hire a guide and when they ask you what your goal is for the day, tell them it’s to learn. Some people just want to catch fish, but they don’t learn anything about the how and why of it. If the guide knows you are there to learn, it’s a different experience than just catching fish and you will absorb information you can take with you.

also, if you plan on being somewhere for a few days, hire a guide the first day and learn the water. Again, be a sponge, ask a thousand questions and just learn. I was floating on Sunday behind two guys on a raft, and they never had a prayer of catching a fish. It’s the same with walk waders I see constantly...they’re “fishing” but they have virtually no chance of catching a fish. 

I had the luxury of stacking 200 days In a year of “fishing”...you’re not going to have that, so it makes utilizing the days you do have to be as productive as possible to get you to a place where you can start to solve the puzzle on your own (when it starts to click for you the thrill will be intoxicating). Hire guides and get to that place as quick as you can.

• Like 3

One suggestion based on my experience...as my posting history suggests, I’m a knucklehead. That translated into me spending around 150-200 days on the water trying to figure it out myself. I didn’t catch a single fish in any of those 200 outings. Not 1. I had multiple instances where I threw my rod like a javelin into bushes. It was brutal.
Then I came home one day and my wife said “why don’t you hire a guide and he can teach you?” Brilliant, why didn’t I think of that? 

My advice is this, as much as you can afford, hire a guide and when they ask you what your goal is for the day, tell them it’s to learn. Some people just want to catch fish, but they don’t learn anything about the how and why of it. If the guide knows you are there to learn, it’s a different experience than just catching fish and you will absorb information you can take with you.
also, if you plan on being somewhere for a few days, hire a guide the first day and learn the water. Again, be a sponge, ask a thousand questions and just learn. I was floating on Sunday behind two guys on a raft, and they never had a prayer of catching a fish. It’s the same with walk waders I see constantly...they’re “fishing” but they have virtually no chance of catching a fish. 

I had the luxury of stacking 200 days In a year of “fishing”...you’re not going to have that, so it makes utilizing the days you do have to be as productive as possible to get you to a place where you can start to solve the puzzle on your own (when it starts to click for you the thrill will be intoxicating). Hire guides and get to that place as quick as you can.
You fished 200 days without catching a fish? Holy shit. I get mad if i get skunked in a single day.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I was hoping to start mixing it up but I’ll hire guides more. We did 2 days with guides and now 3 without. But we are cheating this third day. We hear Chapman lake or Chapman reservoir is easier fishing ...?

Yeah you will see the fish cruising the banks. Just throw out a #18-20 baetis/callibaetis and they will eat it. Or strip a wooly booger across the section nearest the dam. The creek adjacent the campground is also a fun section of water if it isn't too high.

I was hoping to start mixing it up but I’ll hire guides more. We did 2 days with guides and now 3 without. But we are cheating this third day. We hear Chapman lake or Chapman reservoir is easier fishing ...?
Smaller fish at Chapman, but infinitely easier to catch. But prepare for the skeeters.

20 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I have been dipping my toe into fly fishing.  How dangerous of an obsession is this?  One benefit of the virus for me has been increased time fishing/being outside.  I have mostly been poking around the idea (have plenty of standard fishing gear but no fly gear).  Whats a good rig to start up with?  Any cheap Amazon options that can be recommended with some confidence?  Again trying to not go head over heels with this as a hobby just yet, but methinks its a slippery slope.

I bought a $500 setup including flies and line (not going to count the beach house that came with my fishing habit), but I’m only targeting snook/reds from the beach and boat. It’s kept it reasonably cheap for me as I’m not fishing different sizes and setups. Of course then the last two days I’ve walked the beach with perfect flat/clear water and chased snook with my spinning setup and soft plastics instead of the fly rod, so it hasn’t quite stuck with me yet. I’ve got a trip scheduled with a local guy in a few weeks to hopefully get some more pointers in fishing with it.

Caught 5 snook, a Jack, and a few others cruising the beaches the last two days including 2 of the snook pushing 28-30 inches. Conditions have been perfect for walking the beach.

• Like 2

Not seeing a good reason not to invest $200-300 starting out and just dipping my toe (with an understanding it can become addictive quickly).  I love the thought of going to the coast and fly fishing there as well.  Might as well start the trip down the rabbit hole.  

The problem with a lot of the $200 "starter" combos is the line that comes on them is shit and will severely limit your ability to improve as a caster. This will be magnified 10X if you're trying to learn to cast for distance, like to fish at the coast. As tempting as it will be to just order something online from Bass Pro or whatever, go to a local fly shop and talk to someone that knows what they're doing. You may end up spending a little more, but you'll walk out of there with something that can grow with you as your skills improve. Most good shops will also give you an impromptu casting lesson as you test cast rods. (Some larger shops even host free group casting clinics once a month or so) 

But seriously, don't underestimate the importance of a good line. I could write paragraphs about line selection, but just buy from a local shop and they *should* be able to recommend a line that works well with the rod you've selected. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 3shot said:

I haven't fished the Flathead yet, but I did just listen to a great podcast with Hilary Hutcheson (the Drifting podcast hosted by JT Van Zandt), who owns a fly shop and guides in that area.  After listening to her talk for 1.5 hours, I would definitely fish with her:  https://www.larysflyandsupply.com/.

20 hours ago, BillyMadison said:

Anyone fished around Glacier National Park? Heading up to Whitefish in August and looking for any guide recs as well as info for my solo trips. 

It's hard to fish inside Glacier--one is too busy staring. No joke.

The Flathead River from the last time I was in Glacier country.

Mirrored-Flathead.jpg

And, no, I didn't fish that September day. Ended up walking around in awe, taking pictures ... like this:

Mirrored-Horn-Redux.jpg

I did pay a guide to haul a buddy and me around Flathead Lake in search of lunker mackinaw the next day. We did OK, but I'll always prefer wading rivers to trolling from a boat.

• Like 2

The thing with the $200 combos from reputable companies like Orvis, Redington, or TFO is they usually give you a rod that's worth about $195 dollars, then match it to a plastic Chinese reel and line that are worth about $5 combined. If you upgrade the line, they usually cast a lot better. If it's a trout or bass rod you can usually get by with the plastic reel for as long as you want. If you're fishing for something that can put a strain on your drag, you'll want to upgrade reels as soon as you're able. I bought little Rojo a Redington combo when he was starting out with some reward points I won at work. Neither one of us could cast it for shit, and it ended up in the back of my closet when I bought myself a new 8wt and gave him my old rig. He broke a guide on my old Sage, so I pulled out the Redington and put his Ross reel and Scientific Anglers fly line on it, and it cast great. I mean it's a fucking canon. It's heavier than my new Scott Meridian, and the fit and finish isn't quite as nice...but there's $800 difference between the price tags on the two rods, and I'd say the Redington casts 80% as well. It mainly falls off in weight (heavier in the hand) and rebound, or "bounce" when it unloads. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Not seeing a good reason not to invest $200-300 starting out and just dipping my toe (with an understanding it can become addictive quickly).  I love the thought of going to the coast and fly fishing there as well.  Might as well start the trip down the rabbit hole.  

There are going to be lots who don't agree with me on this, but I would advise you to be wary of spending just to spend. Knowledge, experience, and ability are vastly more important than gear.

That's not to say it's wrong to drop $800 on a fly rod--if you're an enthusiast and it feels better casting it and brings you happiness owning it, then go for it. But the amount of money you spend on a reel or rod is NOT going to be a factor on how many fish you catch--or how big they will be.

Don't take my word for it:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The thing with the $200 combos from reputable companies like Orvis, Redington, or TFO is they usually give you a rod that's worth about $195 dollars, then match it to a plastic Chinese reel and line that are worth about $5 combined. If you upgrade the line, they usually cast a lot better. If it's a trout or bass rod you can usually get by with the plastic reel for as long as you want. If you're fishing for something that can put a strain on your drag, you'll want to upgrade reels as soon as you're able. I bought little Rojo a Redington combo when he was starting out with some reward points I won at work. Neither one of us could cast it for shit, and it ended up in the back of my closet when I bought myself a new 8wt and gave him my old rig. He broke a guide on my old Sage, so I pulled out the Redington and put his Ross reel and Scientific Anglers fly line on it, and it cast great. I mean it's a fucking canon. It's heavier than my new Scott Meridian, and the fit and finish isn't quite as nice...but there's $800 difference between the price tags on the two rods, and I'd say the Redington casts 80% as well. It mainly falls off in weight (heavier in the hand) and rebound, or "bounce" when it unloads. 

The Redington combos come with Rio line.  I've always fished Rio line, and it's worked fine for my purposes.  Is that considered shitty line?  It seems popular and isn't what I think of as cheap.    

7 minutes ago, 3shot said:

The Redington combos come with Rio line.  I've always fished Rio line, and it's worked fine for my purposes.  Is that considered shitty line?  It seems popular and isn't what I think of as cheap.    

I've never ever fished a Rio line I liked. That said, they make different tiers of line just like Scientific Angler and everyone else. Maybe their higher end stuff is better, but I'd never spend the money to find out. The Redington 8wt Crosswater combo I bought my son did indeed come with a Rio line, and the Scientific Angler Mastery Grand Slam line I replaced it with made it cast 1000% better. If you're fishing smaller rigs on ponds or creeks, you might not notice a difference, but casting longer distances in wind and salt water it's definitely a big deal.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 3shot said:

If it's available, absolutely.  Start by free-lining it and put a cork on later if you are having trouble with the rocks.  If it's not available, throw silver spoons, a DOA shrimp or a soft plastic on a 1/4 ounce jig head.  You might also bring a couple short wire leaders in case the Spanish are all over the place.  

Yes, I have all of that in my arsenal.  Usually just lacking the luck/skill/time part of the equation.

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The problem with a lot of the $200 "starter" combos is the line that comes on them is shit and will severely limit your ability to improve as a caster. This will be magnified 10X if you're trying to learn to cast for distance, like to fish at the coast. As tempting as it will be to just order something online from Bass Pro or whatever, go to a local fly shop and talk to someone that knows what they're doing. You may end up spending a little more, but you'll walk out of there with something that can grow with you as your skills improve. Most good shops will also give you an impromptu casting lesson as you test cast rods. (Some larger shops even host free group casting clinics once a month or so) 

But seriously, don't underestimate the importance of a good line. I could write paragraphs about line selection, but just buy from a local shop and they *should* be able to recommend a line that works well with the rod you've selected. 

This is what I did. I went to the shop I’ve bought pretty much every piece of saltwater gear I own (6 or so spinning setups and most all of the lures) and he set me up with a rod, reel, line, and flies to use where I fish every day. He then took me out back and walked me through how to use it. He fishes all over the country so if I ever decide to get a trout setup I’ll go back to him then too. I’m at the beach probably 2-3 months total every year and every time I go in he knows my name, gives me a discount on what I’m buying, throws in a few things for free usually, and tells me what’s biting and where. Support the local guys as much as you can. Bass Pro and the Internet aren’t giving you that level of service and it’s still worth something.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, troph said:

A couple of kayaks thrown in the back of that trailer would open up a lot of water here in Tx.

And tossing a spoon fly to a 27” redfish in a 8” of water will make you reconsider the need to drive all the way to Colorado to fish.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, davidg said:

And tossing a spoon fly to a 27” redfish in a 8” of water will make you reconsider the need to drive all the way to Colorado to fish.

For me it’s snook and there is no other place I would rather be. My best days are when the gulf is like glass and the sky is clear where I can walk the beach sight fishing 26+ inch snook. Right now it’s all day every day while they are running the beaches so I caught fish this morning, took the kids to the pool, caught fish at lunch, did some work, caught fish late afternoon, ate supper with the family, and caught fish after supper. I’m not sure how many miles I walked but it was worth it. Tarpon are starting to run the beaches closer in, so I’ll have to get out the big rods soon.

• Like 4

Well I’m leaving salt water right now. I moved from offshore to bay fishing to freshwater. Bay fishing for reds and trout got me away from deep sea fishing. Hauling in 20+ fish in 4-5 hours is just insane. The bite of a red and the sport of a trout is pretty hard to beat in my limited experience.

My first real fishing experience was fighting a jack cravelle for 45 min. The strength of a salt water bite is pretty damn addictive. That fish was a more satisfying catch than any other I’ve caught. I don’t know about fly fishing in salt water though. And salt water seems a lot more expensive for what I’m willing to do. I don’t want to drop money on a CC and then deal with owning it right now.

The thing about Colorado is the weather. I’m sure Texas fishing can be super and we’ve talked about fishing this fall but damn if I’m going to sweat outside anymore. We’ve been in CO for two weeks and only broke a sweat on the gunnison when we broke for lunch on shore. The heat man I just don’t want it anymore. And then there’s the views. Parts of Texas are sublime but it’s hard to beat something like this...

d9dc5cfe53c5effe0ce588a8566432bf.jpg

• Like 3

I always jump real hard when I decide I need a new hobby.  My new hobby was fishing so I was going to buy a boat and a truck with it.  Buddy of mine said hey I have a boat.  Let's go to Cabela's and get you a good rod and reel.  I'll take you out whenever you want. Ended up getting thos

IMG_20200612_135028.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, troph said:

Well I’m leaving salt water right now. I moved from offshore to bay fishing to freshwater. Bay fishing for reds and trout got me away from deep sea fishing. Hauling in 20+ fish in 4-5 hours is just insane. The bite of a red and the sport of a trout is pretty hard to beat in my limited experience.

My first real fishing experience was fighting a jack cravelle for 45 min. The strength of a salt water bite is pretty damn addictive. That fish was a more satisfying catch than any other I’ve caught. I don’t know about fly fishing in salt water though. And salt water seems a lot more expensive for what I’m willing to do. I don’t want to drop money on a CC and then deal with owning it right now.

The thing about Colorado is the weather. I’m sure Texas fishing can be super and we’ve talked about fishing this fall but damn if I’m going to sweat outside anymore. We’ve been in CO for two weeks and only broke a sweat on the gunnison when we broke for lunch on shore. The heat man I just don’t want it anymore. And then there’s the views. Parts of Texas are sublime but it’s hard to beat something like this...

d9dc5cfe53c5effe0ce588a8566432bf.jpg

I don’t think I’ve bottom fished offshore in the last 10 years. Everything has been sight fishing. I agree on the weather, but boat or beach I just hop in the water when it gets too hot. I’m too far from CO and have too much money tied up at the beach to make a serious hobby out of the mountains, but once I get the hang of this fly rod I’m going to start chasing Tarpon with it which should keep me occupied. On the boat side I’m lucky to not need one where I fish, but I’m still in the market for one. For this type of fishing, I don’t need a big CC. Just a decent size skiff/bay boat will do.

Edited by Brew

@Brew I have two poling skiffs right now, and I'm selling one of them -- its a hand-built boat from a set of plans, called the Flats Stalker 18. They have become pretty popular on the middle TX coast. Most people put jet drives on them but we put a tunnel in this one. Only tunnel Flats Stalker in existence that I know about. If any interest I can send more pics and info.

The only reason I'm selling this instead of our Maverick HPX-T is that the two boats perform almost the same, but I own the Maverick with two other buddies and it has a home on the coast, whereas this one sits in my garage in Austin.

C51039B6-CA06-46BA-8C43-A99B9652220C.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, troph said:

But seriously, 2-3 day float trip down the Black Canyon fishing the Gunnison? Jesus man that’s like pinnacle stuff I think.

Hate to break it to you, but thats not even pinnacle in this country. A week in the Seychelles will cost you over $10k not including airfare or tips. But there are a ton of other international fishing lodges that are half that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Went out to the dikes in Texas City this morning had a helluva time and it was discouraging for am hour but ended up hooking these bad boys and a bunch of smaller one

IMG_7947.jpg

All you're missing is a third arm/hand with a beer in it. The cig frames that shot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

damn, how many days did it take him to finally land that fish on fly tackle?

I'd estimate about 5,500 days if you consider all the excursions he made across 15 years. Per the article, however, the fight itself was over in roughly 15 minutes.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tugur-taimen-exploring-the-vast-wilderness-rivers-of-siberia/376219

• Like 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

I'd estimate about 5,500 days if you consider all the excursions he made across 15 years. Per the article, however, the fight itself was over in roughly 15 minutes.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tugur-taimen-exploring-the-vast-wilderness-rivers-of-siberia/376219

Pretty damn cool.

So 14 mins and 50 seconds of just hanging onto the reel and rod hoping that the hook or line don't break. That's a long time to hold your breath.

20 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

here are going to be lots who don't agree with me on this, but I would advise you to be wary of spending just to spend. Knowledge, experience, and ability are vastly more important than gear.

That's not to say it's wrong to drop $800 on a fly rod--if you're an enthusiast and it feels better casting it and brings you happiness owning it, then go for it. But the amount of money you spend on a reel or rod is NOT going to be a factor on how many fish you catch--or how big they will be.

All of this is correct, but I still remember the first day I fished with a high end rod (conventional casting, not fly).    It was absolutely night and day, and I've never gone back.  I thought my Allstars and Castaways were nice, then picked up a mid-grade Loomis that completely changed the way I fish.  I'd rather have a top of the line rod, than reel (although I get both because theyll last you a decade(s))  but a great rod is a must IMO.  I can't believe I used to work topwaters all day with those 2x4's and heavy ass reels.  Makes for sore arms.

• Like 2

you bring up a good discussion. 

Rank your list of importance in fishing gear (reels, rods, and tackle). It depends on where and how your fish and what you're fishing for. Mine for flats and sight fishing out of a kayak and wading.

1. Braided line - Braided line transmits feel better than anything regardless of what rod and reel that you're using and how sensitive or un-sensitive (or is it insensitive?) the rod is. Also you can cast lighter lures because of smaller line diameter and will cast farther than traditional line because of smaller diameter.

2. Cleaned, very lightly oiled ABEC rated spool bearings (only matters for baitcasters) - This make all the difference in the world for length and ability to better cast lighter lures.

3. Lightest rod and reel correctly setup for the fishing application - extremely important if you solely fish arties where you are casting all day. For example, you want a medium or at most medium fast rod for small paddle tails. The extra give in the rod will help with making sure the lure isn't yanked from the fishes mouth (trout and flounder, I'm talking about you). Fast and Extra Fast Action for bottom bouncing, slow presentations with slack line. But you can get away with Fast action ML and L powered rods for small paddle tails. The faster actions will give some backbone to the light powered rods. So it kinda varies.

4. Polarized glasses (Costa 580 Glass lenses are THE BEST) - absolute necessity for flats fishing. If you can better see the bottom structure, you have a better chance of casting to where the fish are or should be.

5. Rudder on my kayak - makes fishing and paddling so much easier.

6. Properly greased drag washer - makes landing heavier drag pulling fish a little easier. I cringe when I watch youtube fishing videos of people's fucked up reel drags. I keep expecting them to lose the fish.

7. Clean properly functioning reels, specifically bait casters in the salt. Don't want the roller bearing to fail, or the worm gear to seize making reeling a horrific chore. Spinning reels are so much easier to maintain.

• Like 1

1. a boat that gets up in under a foot of water

2. my Costas (amber/glass), I'm not leaving the dock without them

3. higher end spinning reel with light braid

4. quality light action pole I can cast all day

5. topwater, spoon and gulp with screwlock jighead

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

1. a boat that gets up in under a foot of water

3. higher end spinning reel with light braid

4. quality light action pole I can cast all day

5. topwater, spoon and gulp with screwlock jighead

didn't you use to fish out of a yak?

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

4. Polarized glasses (Costa 580 Glass lenses are THE BEST) - absolute necessity for flats fishing. If you can better see the bottom structure, you have a better chance of casting to where the fish are or should be.

6 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Teased a buddy with some $300 Costas once, so he had me try them. I stopped teasing him. It was like 4K TV being streamed straight to my eyes.

That said, I've never pulled the trigger on a pair. I just know I'd lose or break them inside of a week.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Teased a buddy with some $300 Costas once, so he had me try them. I stopped teasing him. It was like 4K TV being streamed straight to my eyes.

That said, I've never pulled the trigger on a pair. I just know I'd lose or break them inside of a week.

You can find some great deals on ebay. I've purchase 4 different 580G costas and never received a fake. Their 580G lenses can not be replicated and you'll know immediately if it were a fake.

I do have a theory that brown lenses with no mirror tint is better for sight fishing. My theory is that the sunlight reflection from the mirror tint is a like strobe light to fish. So I will be replacing my 580 G brown lens with green mirror tint to just a brown lens with no mirror tint.

• Like 1

Pay the extra money for the 580 G and not the 580 P lenses. The clarity of the glass lens are so much better than the polycarbonate lens. If you're going to spend the money, then spend the money to get the best pairs available. Then buy some glasses straps, even with the floaty thing on the cord. I aint too proud to look like an idiot to save $150-180 sunglasses.

58 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

38 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Pay the extra money for the 580 G and not the 580 P lenses. The clarity of the glass lens are so much better than the polycarbonate lens. If you're going to spend the money, then spend the money to get the best pairs available. Then buy some glasses straps, even with the floaty thing on the cord. I aint too proud to look like an idiot to save $150-180 sunglasses.

That's why you buy 3 pairs! If one pair goes down, send it back to Costa

I have 2 glass and one polycarbonate, for impact resistance activities like shooting. Or weedeating, power tools, etc.

And they all have cables

• Like 2

We each caught our first rainbow trout without a guide !!! Hotdamn!! 10 inches, small.

But the old guys there struck out! So we feel accomplished.

Drinking an IPA and eating a burger to celebrate then we head back to the fifth wheel.

My goal for this trip was to walk into a fly shop, ask for recs on flies and where to fish, tie a knot and throw a line in the water. We did for three days and finally caught a trout all by ourselves!

Drove back down out of the mountains listening to REK, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kelly Willis, Steve Earle and more winding along the frying pan, windows down listening to the old diesel truck and thinking mother fucker it just doesn’t get better than this.... until we catch a bigger one on our own... then 2 in one day, then 3, 4... always something to chase I guess.

But don’t despise small beginnings.

I’m super satisfied.

The scenery where we were...

0569f34c16db5362bff489ff1dec3e22.jpg

1fa9afaa1c32d8f0112cc2d17b3b03fe.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Outstanding, Troph!

Look into a good guide with a drift boat who fishes the Canyon Lake tailrace, it's not dry flies in the mountains but it sure is a hell of a nice day fishing nymphs in February less than an hour from home.

I get those Costa lenses in my progressive trifocal prescription.  Worth every penny.  Probably paid over $500 but they are the best investment I ever made.

Yesterday I quit my job.  I've got til the 29th before I start the new gig. . .fished Sunday, today, probably on Friday. . . Sabine.

I have never caught mangrove snapper at Sabine, but this week I've caught a few dozen of the little guys.  Just strange how species move around.  

This morning I drove across the causeway at Pleasure Island to go launch in Louisiana. . .got to the ramp and there were 12 boats in line.  Said fuck it, drove back across the causeway and launched in Texas.  That's what such a huge difference in Louisiana and Texas bag/size limits gets you.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

We each caught our first rainbow trout without a guide !!! Hotdamn!! 10 inches, small.

But the old guys there struck out! So we feel accomplished.

Drinking an IPA and eating a burger to celebrate then we head back to the fifth wheel.

My goal for this trip was to walk into a fly shop, ask for recs on flies and where to fish, tie a knot and throw a line in the water. We did for three days and finally caught a trout all by ourselves!

Drove back down out of the mountains listening to REK, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kelly Willis, Steve Earle and more winding along the frying pan, windows down listening to the old diesel truck and thinking mother fucker it just doesn’t get better than this.... until we catch a bigger one on our own... then 2 in one day, then 3, 4... always something to chase I guess.

But don’t despise small beginnings.

I’m super satisfied.

The scenery where we were...

0569f34c16db5362bff489ff1dec3e22.jpg
1fa9afaa1c32d8f0112cc2d17b3b03fe.jpg
I know where that is.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Outstanding, Troph!

Look into a good guide with a drift boat who fishes the Canyon Lake tailrace, it's not dry flies in the mountains but it sure is a hell of a nice day fishing nymphs in February less than an hour from home.

I get those Costa lenses in my progressive trifocal prescription.  Worth every penny.  Probably paid over $500 but they are the best investment I ever made.

Yesterday I quit my job.  I've got til the 29th before I start the new gig. . .fished Sunday, today, probably on Friday. . . Sabine.

I have never caught mangrove snapper at Sabine, but this week I've caught a few dozen of the little guys.  Just strange how species move around.  

This morning I drove across the causeway at Pleasure Island to go launch in Louisiana. . .got to the ramp and there were 12 boats in line.  Said fuck it, drove back across the causeway and launched in Texas.  That's what such a huge difference in Louisiana and Texas bag/size limits gets you.

how much is the LA fishing license?