2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Yeah I’m friends with his neighbor. Hearing the fatality was his best friend, mid 30’s with two kids under 3.    I got the pics early this AM.  Prayers to them all. 
Fuck that sucks. I grew up run all over the bay at night duck hunting or floundering or coming in late. It's easy for the mind to play tricks on you with distance. Y'all stay safe out there and watch your speed in uncertain areas

We probably ought to have a light on both break waters . The concrete wall by the north army base has caused several wrecks

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I’m friends with his neighbor. Hearing the fatality was his best friend, mid 30’s with two kids under 3.    I got the pics early this AM.  Prayers to them all. 

Do you have pics or can you describe the boat? I saw an SCB operating in a questionable manner in POC on 7/17

Edited by 4th and 5

58 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Fuck that sucks. I grew up run all over the bay at night duck hunting or floundering or coming in late. It's easy for the mind to play tricks on you with distance. Y'all stay safe out there and watch your speed in uncertain areas

We probably ought to have a light on both break waters . The concrete wall by the north army base has caused several wrecks

It sure is easy to lose your bearings. I run early and late in the dark but only on a previously run recent track, with a light, and at the slowest speed my boat can plane out.  

I highly recommend the Motion X app as it has many choices of aerial photo “layovers” that aid navigation at night greatly. 

C05A4CDF-4DA5-415B-A284-26051C314826.png

Edited by 4th and 5

It sure is easy to lose your bearings. I run early and late in the dark but only on a previously run recent track, with a light, and at the slowest speed my boat can plane out.  

I highly recommend the Motion X app as it has many choices of aerial photo “layovers” that aid navigation at night greatly. 
C05A4CDF-4DA5-415B-A284-26051C314826.thumb.png.6d4df82175ea8a8525563b786c12d9de.png
I was more trying to be polite than assert I run dangerously at night. It's a challenge. Full moon is as easy as daytime with no lights. New moon right before dawn is challenging. I have GPS but I often prefer to run without a light blinding me at night no matter how dim. You need to see crab traps or logs if upper bay. I rarely run over 30 mph
I get beat to spots, I also see more and don't blow by big schools slicking

Buddy of mine fished just south of San Clemente island today and put 950 lbs of bluefin tuna on the deck.  Biggest a 230 lb cow.  Dude met his wife at Stanford biz school.   She ended up as a top VP at the hedge fund Pimco. He’s retired at 54.  And has a bitchin Cabo 48.  A different Cabo 48 than my closer bud, but was the inspiration for him buying that.  I need to retire.  But I’m probably not retiring until 70.

32 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Last Sunday morning at about 5 I was doing 45mph down the ship channel at Sabine, my dad handed me the kill switch tether clip and reminded me to always have it on at night. I always wear it when boating alone but rarely wear it with others around.

You should wear it every time you turn on the ignition.

• Like 1

Fucking wear your kill switch, especially when others are on board. Why is it ok to put them at risk? Jesus Christ. Plus it is the law now. Wear your mask while you are at it.

In regards to the accident, why were they out there at that time? Seems very foolish with that storm surge rolling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Do you have pics or can you describe the boat? I saw an SCB operating in a questionable manner in POC on 7/17

Yeah, but I can’t get tapatalk on this phone and it’s pissing me off. Gray Recon with normal raised console, black aluminum. 2 stk Merc.   It appears they didn’t hit it very slow, but I don’t think they were ripping or anything.  Console was pushed fowards/ripped from riser.  His all bolt on but still.  Half the deck was peeled up about to where the deck meets the front deck hatches. I got 5 or so pics, one had decent amount of blood on the cement wall, boat was clean    

1 hour ago, davidg said:

You should wear it every time you turn on the ignition.

Pretty sure it’s the law now on anything under 26’ (iirc). Pretty new law but my captain buddy was telling me recently. Over drinks so a little fuzzy on details, but apparently it’s the law now. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Assuming it's one of these rock walls or the other entrance. They are still a ways close to the shoreline. Driver must've drifted. Sucks for all involved.

https://goo.gl/maps/cP98Qf2CXyrKTgsD7

Pics make it appear it was the west wall. Have a pic with a USCG or other type rescue boat on the other side, while the Recon is 90’d into the cement. Also up on the rip rap. 

52 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

In regards to the accident, why were they out there at that time? Seems very foolish with that storm surge rolling in.

No idea but there were rods on the boat.  Maybe on a prefrontal bite but midnight is late af. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Driver must've drifted. Sucks for all involved.

I’m thinking might have gotten over for a barge? Obviously I don’t know the details but someone was able to get help. Hell I don’t know. 

I hate running at night but it’s just part of it.  There was a light bar on his burn bar so I don’t know. I really really hate this for all involved.  

Edited by fattyflattie

Jesus. That’s not a low speed collision.
Doesn’t look like speed that would be appropriate for making a turn into the Sanctuary, either. 
I’m thinking the tox report of the driver might be probative. 
Yeah that wall doesn't extend past where you normally run to avoid sandbars or fencing going down the ditch.
Doesn't look like a broken steering cable or anything else. They likely just fucked up. But I wouldn't make assumptions without facts.
I wish others would learn and practice caution. I'll wish in one hand and wait.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:00 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/23/2020 at 11:02 PM, RMac5 said:
Lake Fork of the Gunnison it is, we were just outside of Lake City.  Headed to Pagosa Springs tomorrow, hope we can catch more fish. 

I had a beaver scare the fuck out of me in that very hole. Swam up behind me and slapped his tail on the water. It sounded like someone shot at me. Scared the hell out of me.

i was bourbon black out standing in a river in eastern oregon in the middle of the night throwing a mouse when a beaver tail slapped right next to me. i am pretty sure i pooped a little bit in my waders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So many years ago I was down in POC on one of the company group trips I put together each year.  (We take our distributors from around the state fishing when they achieve their goals. Usually ends up like 25-40 people.  Amazing amount of eating and drinking and we will have 7-10 boats booked for bay trips, My dad would always come down and cook big ass filet tenderloins and fish with me).  We have the guides usually meet everyone at Clark's and they head out from there.  I had booked myself a house on a canal in Dolphin Point, so my guide I usually fish with would just come park at our place and pick us up there.  Made it a lot easier when you are loading wading gear and beer.  This guide can certainly be a dick at times but we always caught fish so I tolerated him.  At this point I am doing 3 large trips per year on top of my personal fishing. 

So that morning we get up and there is some weather activity out in the gulf.  Guide tells me that the weather is moving across this way and we are going to slide in behind it and fish the surf.  Back then I really enjoyed fishing but I hadn't become obsessed with it like I am now.  So we head out towards the jetties and then make that turn down south as we clear them. Less than 10 min later, SHIT HITS THE FAN.  That thing is on top of us, driving rain sideways and lightening all around us.  On the boat is myself, my dad, my boss at the time and my buddy who works for the distributor.  We can't see shit.  Rods are humming from the electricity in the air.  I am for sure thinking that this is how I go down.  Guide is trying to turn us back to the jetties but he can't see shit and waves are kicking our ass.  Eventually he manages to get us back inside.  We are all pretty shook.  At the time, the rumor was that our company was going to pick up the rights to this Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka and I had found  a bottle while walking through liquor stores and I brought with me just so we could try it out. Once we are clear of dying I grab the bottle out of the ice chest  and start passing it around. We finish it off while sitting there along Matagorda shoreline.   Even the guide was drinking and he never drinks on the boat.  We end just fishing that shoreline and not catching shit. 

So that afternoon I head over to Clarks and our boats are starting to roll in.  All the other Captains were smart and stayed in the marina until the storm actually passed and then went and hit the surf and crushed it.  One bigger boat even went out to the first set of rigs and brought back some snapper.  Errrrrrrbody had fish except us.  I was pretty pissed.  Eventually I got smart and was tired of his BS so I started fishing with other guides and started picking up more and more skills and knowledge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

So many years ago I was down in POC on one of the company group trips I put together each year.  (We take our distributors from around the state fishing when they achieve their goals. Usually ends up like 25-40 people.  Amazing amount of eating and drinking and we will have 7-10 boats booked for bay trips, My dad would always come down and cook big ass filet tenderloins and fish with me).  We have the guides usually meet everyone at Clark's and they head out from there.  I had booked myself a house on a canal in Dolphin Point, so my guide I usually fish with would just come park at our place and pick us up there.  Made it a lot easier when you are loading wading gear and beer.  This guide can certainly be a dick at times but we always caught fish so I tolerated him.  At this point I am doing 3 large trips per year on top of my personal fishing. 

So that morning we get up and there is some weather activity out in the gulf.  Guide tells me that the weather is moving across this way and we are going to slide in behind it and fish the surf.  Back then I really enjoyed fishing but I hadn't become obsessed with it like I am now.  So we head out towards the jetties and then make that turn down south as we clear them. Less than 10 min later, SHIT HITS THE FAN.  That thing is on top of us, driving rain sideways and lightening all around us.  On the boat is myself, my dad, my boss at the time and my buddy who works for the distributor.  We can't see shit.  Rods are humming from the electricity in the air.  I am for sure thinking that this is how I go down.  Guide is trying to turn us back to the jetties but he can't see shit and waves are kicking our ass.  Eventually he manages to get us back inside.  We are all pretty shook.  At the time, the rumor was that our company was going to pick up the rights to this Zubrowka Bison Grass Vodka and I had found  a bottle while walking through liquor stores and I brought with me just so we could try it out. Once we are clear of dying I grab the bottle out of the ice chest  and start passing it around. We finish it off while sitting there along Matagorda shoreline.   Even the guide was drinking and he never drinks on the boat.  We end just fishing that shoreline and not catching shit. 

So that afternoon I head over to Clarks and our boats are starting to roll in.  All the other Captains were smart and stayed in the marina until the storm actually passed and then went and hit the surf and crushed it.  One bigger boat even went out to the first set of rigs and brought back some snapper.  Errrrrrrbody had fish except us.  I was pretty pissed.  Eventually I got smart and was tired of his BS so I started fishing with other guides and started picking up more and more skills and knowledge. 

Just think, that story only costs $5-600 and one of your nine lives. 

I had a similar story of getting caught in my kayak in Shoalwater when a pop up thunderstorm rolled through, lightning everywhere. So close that the ginormous thunders came immediately with the lightning flashes. I too thought for certain that was the way I was going to die that day getting struck by lightning in a kayak in the middle of Shoalwater. Never been so scared in my life so I think I knew how you felt. BTW, that same storm killed a person (lightning)on the beach in Corpus just a few minutes earlier.

Since then, I am a little bitch when it comes to dark clouds on the horizon. 

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

Kelly Parks?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Just think, that story only costs $5-600 and one of your nine lives. 

I had a similar story of getting caught in my kayak in Shoalwater when a pop up thunderstorm rolled through, lightning everywhere. So close that the ginormous thunders came immediately with the lightning flashes. I too thought for certain that was the way I was going to die that day getting struck by lightning in a kayak in the middle of Shoalwater. Never been so scared in my life so I think I knew how you felt. BTW, that same storm killed a person (lightning)on the beach in Corpus just a few minutes earlier.

Since then, I am a little bitch when it comes to dark clouds on the horizon. 

That happened to us in the Lagoon once. There were storms offshore, so we decided to stick close to the ramp in case we had to make a run for it. We got focused on fishing and not really paying attention until the thunder clap about scared both of us off the platforms. Turned around and there was a wall of black water coming at us. The sound was deafening about 5 seconds later. We got down and stowed the rods and push pole and managed to pull the rain jackets out of the dry storage about .05 seconds before it got to us. We just sat in the bottom of the boat for 20 minutes while it rained so hard we couldn't even see the shoreline. When it was all over, we had blown all the way to the other side of the lagoon. (from the ICW side to the bay side) We grabbed the baitcasters and started trolling, and caught fish on every cast on topwaters for the next 20 minutes before it finally shut down again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think so. Lion fish all seem to have stripes. I’ve never seen anything like it here. I’m guessing some other reef fish that got displaced and died from Hanna

edit- just sent the photo to my marine biologist friend here at UT Port A MSI.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

Ok, got an answer from my UT MSI marine biologist friend. She’s pretty good at what she does but this isn’t her specialty by any means.

That looks like a sargassum fish. They are similar to the deep sea angler fish that has the glowing " lure" as in finding nemo. Sargassum fish don’t  glow but do have an angler and crawl around in the sargassum with their pectoral fins. Actually, they are my favorite local fish!

Edit- I asked if I should eat it. Will report back.

it’s funnier because she’s a vegetarian 

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My last trip to SPI we were fishing by the old causeway, caught 4 of those in a row before moving.  Each one was over 24" across.  

We caught 2 bull reds in a row, then the stingray.  My best guess is at least 36"

One of those guys hammered a small sand flea on a small hook last weekend just to piss me off and fought me for several minutes before finally spitting the hook. I was dreading trying to unhook him as it was high tide and the beach was like a cliff 2’ above the water. That’s when I knew it was time to call it a day.