2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

what did the boat hit? and overpass in the middle of the guff?

@Wulaw Horn has a boat?

Unless they ran under a platform rig and hit a crossmember or some deck grating my guess is the net booms on that shrimper.   Though its usually the shrimper running over something.

ETA:     https://safety4sea.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/NTSB-Collision-between-Fishing-Vessels-Got-‘M-On-and-Lady-Toni-and-Subsequent-Sinking-of-Got-‘M-On-2019_08.pdf

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

that's fucking amazing that in the vastness of the open ocean, those two dipshit captains managed to hit each other.

got'em had the right of way. the fishing troller should've yielded and it appears that it didn't. my guess was he was pulling nets and wasn't about to let some asshole change his path. he was working.

the got'em captain is a fucking idiot. he can claim he had the right of way, but it doesn't change the fact that his 60' boat is at the bottom of the guff. he must've taken some time to rub one out thinking about the big ass marlin.

and does it take 3.5 hours to land a marlin?????

Edited by crash_davis

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that's fucking amazing that in the vastness of the open ocean, those two dipshit captains managed to hit each other.

I posted on the best fishing trip thread that I used to do the 52hr long range tuna trips out of Freeport on Capt Elliot's Big E.   On one trip we hit the fucking buoy marking the channel entrance to the Freeport Jetty,  Clanked that bitch down the side of the boat.  Trip was snake bit from the get go.

On another trip that I wasn't on, the boat on was auto pilot heading to one of the spars off Lousiana, the Captain's wife was at the helm and they almost ran the boat into one of the platforms out in the High Island sector.  Boat was within a couple hundred feet of hitting before they got it turned. 

4 hours ago, troph said:

What the hell happened to Got’em On?!?

There was a long discussion either here or on the boating thread. Tournament out of port O’Connor they were coming in and celebrating with nobody watching the wheel. Hit a shrimpboat and sank. Really stupid accident and lucky nobody was killed.

the time we almost died from a rogue wave in cabo we had a fishing accident in open sea too.  another charter ran into us on the port side near the bow.  we were trolling, fish just hit and I grabbed the line on the starboard side and then BAM! I dropped the rod to brace myself so I didn't fall overboard.  I looked back over my shoulder and another boat was right on top of us.  I yelled WTF out of instinct.  Next day we were on the beach and swept out to sea by a rogue wave.  was the worst trip of my life. 

5 hours ago, davidg said:

@Wulaw Horn has a boat?

Unless they ran under a platform rig and hit a crossmember or some deck grating my guess is the net booms on that shrimper.   Though its usually the shrimper running over something.

ETA:     https://safety4sea.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/NTSB-Collision-between-Fishing-Vessels-Got-‘M-On-and-Lady-Toni-and-Subsequent-Sinking-of-Got-‘M-On-2019_08.pdf

Lulz at the wulaw call out. 
That accident report is pure fiction from the got’m on people and the shrimp boat crew.

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

There was a long discussion either here or on the boating thread. Tournament out of port O’Connor they were coming in and celebrating with nobody watching the wheel. Hit a shrimpboat and sank. Really stupid accident and lucky nobody was killed.

I don't remember that one but I do remember discussing the one where a boat ran over a rope attached to one of the mooring bouys near a spar rigs and it got tangled up in the propshaft and I think pulled it, sinking the boat.  Am I remembering that correctly?  Seems like the boat owner got some damages from the rig or something like that.

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Besides almost dying twice, did you have a good time?

about a dozen dorados and a marlin on the line (lost it) with a nice lady to keep me company but no one making me share the fishing, and the sex was great, so oddly yeah.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

1.2m for a 61’ that can fast cruise 28kts and fish tournaments sounds cheap. 

Anybody ever go trout fishing up on the White River in Arkansas? One of my suppliers is taking us but I’ve never been. The lodge looks great.

25 years ago. Was a fun trip. I grew up fishing the tributaries of it in N Ark.

Mostly floated with marshmallow/corn/salmon egg combo. Also threw a lot of rooster tails. Mostly caught rainbows but a few browns.

Will be interesting to hear if it’s changed at all in 25 years!

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh hell yes, for years my dad took us to Gaston's right below Bull Shoals, I've probably been there 5 times.

Water level is dependent on hydroelectric production so it will be really low and peaceful in the morning, then by afternoon the flow increases.

Last month my dad and stepmom decided fuck Texas summers and announced they will be summering in NW Arkansas starting in 2021, so looking forward to going back up there next year.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Last month my dad and stepmom decided fuck Texas summers and announced they will be summering in NW Arkansas starting in 2021, so looking forward to going back up there next year.

I love Texas through and through. To the bone.  But I’m getting to that point a lot quicker than I ever thought I would.  If I ever decide to dip out of O&G (I’m the offshore kind) it’s going to get much closer to reality.  Or become a 1%. Probably become one of the anti-Texas assholes in Co...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Drop it at the edge of the color change if you can.  
And those gafftop really are good eating.  The only consistent advice I’ve heard is to cut off or cut a ring around their tails to let them bleed.  My FIL would do that and put them on a stringer for a while.  They’re slimy AF.  Old timers would put them in a burlap sack to get some of it off before washing them.   In modern times I saw a guy at the car wash with a stringer, power washing them.  We always just used a water hose and skinned/filleted them like catfish.
Snot sharks!

They are tasty and bleeding trick works, but I will never mess them again unless doing Warriors weekend and get desperate. Even the really big ones yield very little meat.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I love Texas through and through. To the bone.  But I’m getting to that point a lot quicker than I ever thought I would.  If I ever decide to dip out of O&G (I’m the offshore kind) it’s going to get much closer to reality.  Or become a 1%. Probably become one of the anti-Texas assholes in Co...

My boss and his wife are early 50s with no kids and a combined income of around $500K+, I'd guess. (both sales managers/directors for tech companies) Her parents are retired and live around Bozeman Mt, so last year they bought a place up there on a nice golf course. They headed up there in late June and had originally planned to stay until the snow started to stick, but since neither are traveling due to covid they are going to try to stick it out through the winter. Their main residence is in the Barton Hills neighborhood in Austin, and he says they've been covering the note with VRBO rentals.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh hai

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m a hack when it comes to fishing but I’m looking for a place around Austin where I can bank fish with the wife and hopefully get some fish action some morning during the week. Any thoughts on places to check out?

I don’t know about you but 15 years of marriage, I don’t get much fish action in the morning during the week.

• Like 1

One big advantage of covid/wfh has been all the time spent fishing with my daughter. She fucking loves fishing, including touching bait and holding the fish. Been crushing the sunfish/perch at the park pond and I finally hooked a decent bass on the fly. What a great day for it. 

FD37247E-3CC4-4E75-87D5-BEB05EABCEB8.thumb.jpeg.1d43602b9712240011c341fb5f992a70.jpeg
A862D8D0-517B-484F-A489-E0DE7E8C7B33.thumb.jpeg.750a2ad99bb0a9dcdea2538cb265ae01.jpeg
84FE9A1B-197C-4511-BA4B-2AE130FCE413.thumb.jpeg.fb06a61181f829649c025be83d88482a.jpeg
25BAC8B3-1662-4842-A236-3B947864D011.thumb.jpeg.fa46d4e5b3bfab9e5e287a40997e1803.jpeg

This is so fantastic. My dad claimed to be into fishing but all I got from him was a few charter trips over the years. I wish I had the experiences like she’s getting. Part of why I sit here together trying to figure everything out is because no one took the time when they saw I liked it when I was young. Awesome job!

And I agree, more fishing has been the only good part about covid.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anybody ever go trout fishing up on the White River in Arkansas? One of my suppliers is taking us but I’ve never been. The lodge looks great.

We are camping somewhere in AR next weekend. Gotta find out where. I’d love to make a haul up there. Might find a guide.

As it was we spent 3 weeks out of Texas this summer. I’m with you, I love Texas more than anything. West Texas, PINS, hill country, lake Travis, Texas baseball, Texas country music, thunderstorms, hot summer nights (high 80s), our blue holes. It’s just who I am. But fuck the heat from 11am - 7pm during July through September. That 3 month stretch is killing me. Girlfriend is a builder and wants to build something as of right now outside telluride - build 2-3 and sell all but one to pay for ours. I would have said no 5 years ago. Not today. Get me out of here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

This is so fantastic. My dad claimed to be into fishing but all I got from him was a few charter trips over the years. I wish I had the experiences like she’s getting. Part of why I sit here together trying to figure everything out is because no one took the time when they saw I liked it when I was young. Awesome job!

And I agree, more fishing has been the only good part about covid.

Thanks!  One of my main parenting goals is to make my kids (#2 arrives in March) crave the outdoors. So far so good!  

As an added plus, it gives my wife time to relax at home and watch her terrible tv shows that I think are melting her brain  

2EE16CBE-EB48-4466-9766-C4B4697B61BB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

We are camping somewhere in AR next weekend. Gotta find out where. I’d love to make a haul up there. Might find a guide.

holy fuckers just found out we are NOT in AR, we are just west of AR in OU country.  private land but for the first time in my life I'm not just driving through Oklahoma on the way to the College World Series, I'm spending 3 freaking nights.  It's literally a stone's throw from AR but it's not AR it's fucking Oklahoma.  I'm very distressed right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Blah blah blah blah dick joke.

It's actually very nice in places.

Don’t doubt we will be in a nice spot it’s far eastern Oklahoma. I have no interest in spending the night anywhere in OU country. Seems like a reasonable position to take honestly.

Blah blah blah blah dick joke.

It's actually very nice in places.

Don’t doubt we will be in a nice spot it’s far eastern Oklahoma. I have no interest in spending the night anywhere in OU country. Seems like a reasonable position to take honestly.

Don’t know exactly where you are going but up North of Broken Bow in the Ouachita’s on 259 there are a few hill climbs that will definitely make you think of Colorado.  A completely different place than red dirt sucking OK up I35.

And watch out for logging trucks too.  Lots then that road.

last episode from this year's steven rinella's meat eater das boat youtube series.

1. she's from texas. surly some assholy on here must know her. she's easy on the eyes and knows how to handle a rod.

2. black drum is good. they don't yield as big of a fillet as their red cousin but they taste exactly the same. not sure why people would be thinking the freshwater cousin would taste any different.

3. goes back to my point earlier, what most people in the US call trash fish do so because of ignorance. just because enough people say it don't mean that it's true.

4. i like rinella's closing for his shows. it's very similar to how bourdain used to close his shows. rinella make's thinking man's hunting and fishing shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fished Corpus today for a charity tournament. Got into some nice fat trout, biggest being 23” , then I hooked up on this bad boy. 35 inches and full of piss and vinegar. Was a great battle on my medium light rod. Topped it off with a 15” flounder.

d00bb52e3fc9894975ad753b6c74b7df.jpg

f1fb75413c992f271fe08ab09dac18e5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

50 miles offshore out of Port Mansfield, TX. There were 5 of us, and we pulled all of those blackfins up in about an hour and a half. We tried 5 different shrimp boats before we finally found a huge school. We couldn't drop a line in the water without getting a bite within 30 seconds, as they were constantly chumming. It definitely wasn't fishing... it was catching. 

20201021-220343.jpg

20201017-120222.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, crash_davis said:

last episode from this year's steven rinella's meat eater das boat youtube series.

1. she's from texas. surly some assholy on here must know her. she's easy on the eyes and knows how to handle a rod.

2. black drum is good. they don't yield as big of a fillet as their red cousin but they taste exactly the same. not sure why people would be thinking the freshwater cousin would taste any different.

3. goes back to my point earlier, what most people in the US call trash fish do so because of ignorance. just because enough people say it don't mean that it's true.

4. i like rinella's closing for his shows. it's very similar to how bourdain used to close his shows. rinella make's thinking man's hunting and fishing shows.

Thanks for posting. I didn’t know S2 was out, know what I’m doing tonight. I’ll watch pretty much anything Rinella puts out and I hunt very little any more.