2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

14 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Taking the family to Port Aransas this weekend.   Probably will sneak off for a quick wade one morning.  Catch a tagged Redfish or something.  Any good suggestions on places to walk in?

I have walked in from the truck back behind the Island of the Sun Church back towards CC a couple of times.  Didn't really catch anything though.   It's an easy wade.   

I managed to get my truck stuck over by Brown & Root flats one time.  That sucked.   I am not sure I really want to cross the ferry to go over there because getting back across will be a nightmare with the holiday weekend traffic. 

I've done well parking at Wilson's Cut, 15 or so minute walk and wade in. 

2 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I've done well parking at Wilson's Cut, 15 or so minute walk and wade in. 

just be careful about leaving anything of value or in sight in the car.  they occasionally have periods of break ins of the cars parked there.  

you will not be able to cross the channel to wade the flats on the other side.

1 hour ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Yes, guy I know from Corpus warned me about this as well.  His solution was to leave nothing of value in the vehicle and leave it unlocked so at least they don't break out a window.

It should be legal to set up 500 yards away with a 300 Weatherby Mag on a bipod and shoot the assholes who break into cars like that.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If it were me I'd just go fish the jetties or make a quick drive down to Packery Channel.  

This.  Although to be more specific, I would be on the first ferry of the morning heading to the Port A North Jetty.  It's going to be pretty windy this weekend, but since the wind should be out of the south east all week, the water should be fine on the gulf side of the North Jetty.  The trout will be there.  Caveat: I heard that Fisherman's Wharf was sold recently so you should check the schedule and make sure the jetty boat is still running.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It should be legal to set up 500 yards away with a 300 Weatherby Mag on a bipod and shoot the assholes who break into cars like that.  

They were going to set up cameras there but decided not to because they’d probably get stolen too.   Oh and the jetty boat was still running last weekend according to the locals. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 5/19/2019 at 8:00 PM, Mac8111 said:

Taking the family to Port Aransas this weekend.   Probably will sneak off for a quick wade one morning.  Catch a tagged Redfish or something.  Any good suggestions on places to walk in?

I have walked in from the truck back behind the Island of the Sun Church back towards CC a couple of times.  Didn't really catch anything though.   It's an easy wade.   

I managed to get my truck stuck over by Brown & Root flats one time.  That sucked.   I am not sure I really want to cross the ferry to go over there because getting back across will be a nightmare with the holiday weekend traffic. 

If you're willing to driver over to Corpus, there are some places you can walk in along Laguna Shores and by the Naval Station. 

Heads up for Upper Coast Star Tagged Reds:

Dear CCA Texas Member,

Due to circumstances beyond our control, CCA Texas STAR specially-tagged redfish will not be released later this week into Galveston Bay area waters deemed contaminated by the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) because of the Houston Ship Channel barge collision. A link to the consumption advisory is provided below. The DSHS recommendation includes portions of Galveston and Trinity bays north of a line from the end of the Texas City Dike to Smith Point.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates.shtm

We will maintain our commitment to STAR anglers under these circumstances. The remaining waters of the Galveston bay complex will now receive ALL the tagged redfish designated for the entire complex, prior to tournament kickoff. These fish will be concentrated into areas not affected by the accident.

In order to honor our anglers affected by this event, CCA Texas STAR will conduct an additional tagged redfish release later, once the DSHS consumption advisory has been lifted. This second release will transpire at typical locations with the historical number of redfish as past determined for both Trinity and Galveston Bays. Be on the lookout for a follow up email to confirm that this release has taken place.

The STAR Tournament Committee understands that this situation is not ideal, but we consider this to be the best course of action given the circumstances. We thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter. We appreciate our loyal STAR anglers and their unwavering dedication to this remarkable tournament.

Thank you for your support of CCA Texas and the STAR Tournament!

Bill Kinney – Tournament Director

23 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Indeed it is.

Casting 4 oz plugs on a 10 foot surf rod for a couple hours is a hell of a work out.

I have a cousin that works at the power plant on the other side.  csb

The amount of water that moves through there is incredible.

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Wind has been driving me nuts.  I have a new to me boat that I've barely been able to use because of it.  I'm sick of fishing in the IWC.

My son is asking every day when we are going. Was hoping to go down south with the long weekend, but it's going to be blowing 22-28 all weekend. Was planning to try to find some Snook in the Brownsville ship channel, but I imagine every boat down there will be doing the same to try to get out of the wind. 

What boat did you buy? 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

My son is asking every day when we are going. Was hoping to go down south with the long weekend, but it's going to be blowing 22-28 all weekend. Was planning to try to find some Snook in the Brownsville ship channel, but I imagine every boat down there will be doing the same to try to get out of the wind. 

What boat did you buy? 

Same. I'm going down but I doubt I'll even get the boat out. The fishing down south has been good, I just don't want to get the hell beat out of me doing it. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

10 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Wind has been driving me nuts.  I have a new to me boat that I've barely been able to use because of it.  I'm sick of fishing in the IWC.

Wind has been killing me for both work and fishing. Current configuration on crane winds out at 39 mph and we’ve been hitting 38-41 all week. That’s 115m off the ground but still. Windy as hell.  I wouldn’t want to be in that anyhow. 

Unfortunately, not a keeper... 28” minimum in MA. That one was 22, caught them up to 26. When the herring head back to sea in a week or two, the bigger fish should show. Still this was the second best fishing trip of the weekend.

Best trip was a hike to an old mill pond in the middle of a forest. My daughter baited, cast, hooked, landed, and released a bunch of sunfish on her own. Son still prefers to just reel in the fish.

b4b1d78cc5c3e21f129fb768662a4551.jpg

Also saw lady slipper orchids on the hike. These would make Georgia O’Keefe blush.

c3f22e2d70c1fa658e206be493c81e63.jpg

Wild blueberries are about a month or two away.

a9ee2da454f5157a6b80860416591088.jpg

Pretty amazing day.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wow, that sucks.  I've fished that area tons of times, and across the highway up sailboat pass.  Hard to imagine a boat not knowing it hit a kayak, even in low light.

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah a bigger boat I can understand. I was thinking more of a 24’ guide boat or something.  

I can come up with a scenario or two where they don’t stop but I’d be reaching. Tourist, maybe? I’ll hear about it soon more than likely.

We’ve run over multiple turtles on the boat you’ve been on and never knew we did it other than the blood in the wake or the chip in the prop when we pulled out of the water. Not saying it’s the same thing but it’s surpringly easy to hit things.

bay boat? No they would know. I’m not sure of what time the accident occurred but there are people in private boats that make that run drunk.

All I want to do is catch a mess of specks. I'm not even sure where to fish this weekend.

The lack of salinity is becoming a problem.  Sabine Lake and the ship channel are now basically freshwater.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Looming-deluge-threatens-Gulf-fisheries-13908395.php

https://www.klfy.com/news/louisiana/gulf-organizations-join-in-call-for-gulf-wide-seafood-specific-disaster-relief/2039081888

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

I can come up with a scenario or two where they don’t stop but I’d be reaching. Tourist, maybe? I’ll hear about it soon more than likely.

We’ve run over multiple turtles on the boat you’ve been on and never knew we did it other than the blood in the wake or the chip in the prop when we pulled out of the water. Not saying it’s the same thing but it’s surpringly easy to hit things.

bay boat? No they would know. I’m not sure of what time the accident occurred but there are people in private boats that make that run drunk.

Early morning...pre-dawn. 

On 5/31/2019 at 10:35 AM, Lat22 said:

Galveston has been fresh for a couple of weeks now. Really sucks. (I'm not sure "fresh" is an accurate descriptor)

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_animation.shtml?ofsregion=ng&subdomain=gb&model_type=salinity_nowcast

I went out this morning and it’s still pretty fresh. That doesn’t, however, deter the jackasses.  There are some dumb mofos running boats in WGB. Best fish was 4# on a bone diamond Assassin. 

Found a school of juvenile tarpon tonight in a nature preserve just cruising the culverts destroying bait fish. I threw everything I could think of at them for 45 minutes with no luck. Switched to a small sized white and silver TerrorEyes as a last ditch effort and it was on then. Hooked up on 11 and got 2 to the bank in a 30 minute stretch with numerous misses mixed in.

• Like 5

On 5/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, justhookit said:

I’m guessing shrimp boat or crew boat and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they didn’t know they hit something

Just my own experience here but work boat captains that I sailed with were always on the helm in inland waters and damn good, very focused on piloting the boat.

On the flip side I also was helmsman on cargo ships and had an encounter with a shrimp boat in the St. Johns River where I'm pretty sure there was nobody on the wheel. They passed by us so close on the starboard side that I couldn't see them anymore, they were below my line of sight looking out the bridge wing. We'd been sounding the horn for several minutes but they never deviated, never saw anyone on deck. Trying to turn a 450' ship in a strong current in a river channel like that is a recipe for disaster. Thank God we missed 'em, I didn't want to be the guy who was on the wheel when a shrimp boat got crushed. Would not have been my fault but still...

Fished POC for a couple of hours Sat afternoon and found steady trout. 18 keepers. I had a baby Black Tip eat the tail off one of my trout and then try to come back for another one. Could have had more keepers but we had to get boat back in storage so we could drive to CC because we had a trip to Baffin planned with a cousin of mine for today. Limited out. Nothing huge. I think 21 “ was biggest. Great time on the water. My old man tries to set the World Record for trash talk every single fishing trip. I wonder how many times I have heard “there is a fish behind every cast, it’s all about presentation” in my life.

77f24df0d670dc4cdd4186625a33ca42.jpg

597383aa59929d2feee0044ddf6dd6f5.jpg

f3a39c3e6eee3541a96b780cd255cb08.jpg

• Like 5

We found several pods in the back lakes between Seadrift and Rockport. Most were smallish...10-15 fish, but we found one that had to be 50 fish. The boy had 10 or so good shots with the fly rod and got one fish to hand. He's really got to work on his hook set. We actually got in a bit of an argument about it on the boat yesterday. Water levels are still kind of high, and the water was fairly cloudy in some of the ponds. Epic duckweed crop this year, too. 

On 6/1/2019 at 11:16 PM, Brew said:

Found a school of juvenile tarpon tonight in a nature preserve just cruising the culverts destroying bait fish. I threw everything I could think of at them for 45 minutes with no luck. Switched to a small sized white and silver TerrorEyes as a last ditch effort and it was on then. Hooked up on 11 and got 2 to the bank in a 30 minute stretch with numerous misses mixed in.

Last night was less productive, 3 hookups with none to the bank. There were several people fly fishing the prime spot, so I stayed out of there way. I did get a nice 5-6 pound snook out of the middle of them though. Think I may disappear in another hour although I think my wife is getting a little irritated I go missing every night. It’s Tarpon though, what else are you supposed to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

She’ll get over it. Or you’ll have even more time to chase poons. 

She would definitely go for this house in the divorce, so along with child support and alimony it would not end with me fishing more. Chased Snook on the beach instead while she watched the sunset. It was a bust (too many Spanish Mack’s running), but it should line me up some poon later tonight so it was a small win. Try again tomorrow for the swimming variety.