2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Family trip to Key Largo coming up.  My BIL wants to catch fish with which he can "feed his family."  The two guides I know down there seem to be out of the business (more on this in a future post), and I've primarily only sight-fished for bones/permit/tarpon down there. 

Looking for recs for guides and also for the type of fishing we should go for.  We're up for anything except for trolling offshore; dorado or wahoo would be awesome of course, but trolling isn't very interesting to us.  Casting plugs or dropping bait offshore would be fine, as would anything inshore.

TIA!

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

Family trip to Key Largo coming up.  My BIL wants to catch fish with which he can "feed his family."  The two guides I know down there seem to be out of the business (more on this in a future post), and I've primarily only sight-fished for bones/permit/tarpon down there. 

Looking for recs for guides and also for the type of fishing we should go for.  We're up for anything except for trolling offshore; dorado or wahoo would be awesome of course, but trolling isn't very interesting to us.  Casting plugs or dropping bait offshore would be fine, as would anything inshore.

TIA!

We were down there last June for our anniversary.  Did a fun inshore trip with Capt Barry Hoffman.  Very knowledgable and professional.  But, he (like most of the other inshore guides down there) is catch-and-release only.  I'm relatively certain that most of the others are in the same boat.  By the way, it was hot as balls in the Everglades.  We cut our trip short due to the heat.  Did a 6-hour instead of an 8-hour.  Caught lots of fish that morning and the bite shut off just before lunch, so we weren't pressing to keep grinding.  Not a breath of wind and water temps were 90+, so it wasn't even refreshing to dip your feet in the water.

I think you're going to have to go offshore if you want a meat haul.  

3 hours ago, davidg said:

If I could give another posrep for the tywrap carry handle on that striper, I would.

I carry zip-ties almost everywhere. It was about a 3/4 mile walk from the spot to the car; I was glad I had them.

1 hour ago, Lerka Lerka said:

A 31"+ striper?

So a 31" is ~13lbs. I think I'm going 20lbs (36-37") for my next goal. That and any size on the fly.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, solamente73 said:

TIA!

Tell a guide you want to catch a bunch of yellowtail snapper. It’s “offshore” but it’s bottom fishing. And they are delicious. 

• Like 1

Texas Star posted a pic of a tagged redfish. Looks like that might be the first one.

One of the guides said a guy hooked a fish and let his kid reel it in and it was a tagged fish. Didn’t qualify. Not sure if true or not though. What a kick in the nuts if true.

Looking at going down to Costa Rica to fish the full moon in mid July. Most of my regular fishing partners have schedule conflicts so I thought I’d post this up here to see if anyone is interested. Looking to find 2 or 3 people. My boat is in Quepos so we would fly in to San Jose and then have our driver come pick us up to take us to the marina.

It would be a multi day trip out to the FADs which are over 100 miles offshore. You leave the dock late in the afternoon and slow boat out. Fish all day the next day, spend the night out there, fish all day the next day, then spend another night to fish the next day or you can run in. So 2-3 days of fishing, likely 3 unless the weather is bad. This is blue marlin fishing and it’s not unreasonable to expect to catch about 10 a day. It’s by far the best blue marlin fishing in the world.

This kind of trip is not for everyone - it can get a little rough out there and stormy but it’s usually decent weather. We troll lures, run teasers to pitch to fish, and live bait with yellowfin tuna which makes for nice snacks and dinner.

Cost of trip would be roughly $4000 which would include fuel, bait, food/drinks which we would split by however many people go. Since we stay on the boat the only other expense would be airfare. 

Here’s a video a friend of mine did from one of our previous trips

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Texas Star posted a pic of a tagged redfish. Looks like that might be the first one.

One of the guides said a guy hooked a fish and let his kid reel it in and it was a tagged fish. Didn’t qualify. Not sure if true or not though. What a kick in the nuts if true.

That happened last weekend I think. What I can’t understand is why they kept it? 

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Nobody got killed when he took a group of us out in Texas, unless you count beers.  Although we suspect one former posters wife got knocked up on that trip.  By her husband of course.  

Should I try and get a current picture of Petey? Just to be sure, you know.

• Haha 1

Water still high and fresh in the marsh near Johnsons Bayou. Wind howling straight up the channel so took refuge in the marsh.

Poor guy put a very nice Turner boat onto the top of a submerged piling and got it very stuck. My 2 buddies happened to be the closest boat and pulled him off.

My dad and I were right in front of him and tried to wave him off to no avail.

If no other boats were there he probably would have gone through on plane and then were talking serious damage and injury, plus would have hit his lower unit on the 350 hp motor.

75% of the time the pilings are exposed and anyone who has been there at least once can navigate through them when they are submerged. I had gone through about 1 hour earlier, before this guy arrived, with a trolling motor and the big motor raised and still lightly bumped one.

I'm about to contact Louisiana fish and wildlife and figure out a way to get these pilings marked as a hazard. There hasn't been a bridge in about 80 years. . .

Mindbottling how they havent been removed or marked yet.

Of course I took a video.

Edited by BearSchlong

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Water still high and fresh in the marsh near Johnsons Bayou. Wind howling straight up the channel so took refuge in the marsh.

Poor guy put a very nice Turner boat onto the top of a submerged piling and got it very stuck. My 2 buddies happened to be the closest boat and pulled him off.

My dad and I were right in front of him and tried to wave him off to no avail.

If no other boats were there he probably would have gone through on plane and then were talking serious damage and injury, plus would have hit his lower unit on the 350 hp motor.

75% of the time the pilings are exposed and anyone who has been there at least once can navigate through them when they are submerged. I had gone through about 1 hour earlier, before this guy arrived, with a trolling motor and the big motor raised and still lightly bumped one.

I'm about to contact Louisiana fish and wildlife and figure out a way to get these pilings marked as a hazard. There hasn't been a bridge in about 80 years. . .

Mindbottling how they havent been removed or marked yet.

Of course I took a video.

“You’re gonna hit it again!”

Use the power poles before the trolling motor you fool!!

Edited by ChickenSandwich

15 hours ago, troph said:

First time fly fishing, this might take some of my attention... my two oldest sons liked it too. Middle son caught three good sized ones. Here he is releasing first one, but most amazing was this one was caught first cast.

1a6d26f8cb8a8babdf5dd25a862e2ee9.jpg

We caught 7 and hooked another 4-5 I think fishing the Colorado near Kremmling. But the real appeal was the mesmerizing nature of the cast and strip, cast and strip, while watching the indicator float down stream. Mountain air, quiet, such a chill place.

10c49bf722375a1be861d5953522fae0.jpg

Kremmling is one of my favorite places. Went horseback riding out there with my wife several years ago.  

• Like 1

Driving home, thinking - no obsessing about fly fishing... gonna need some guidance on gear and centex honey holes for me and my sons. Sigh.
Find a guide that fishes the first 5 crossings of canyon lake tail race with nymphs and put him on retainer. I used to have the guy (as did Andy Fastow) but pussy (in NC) is undefeated. I'd call that fly shop in Greune and ask them. Join the Guadelupe river chapter of trout unlimited.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, troph said:

Driving home, thinking - no obsessing about fly fishing... gonna need some guidance on gear and centex honey holes for me and my sons. Sigh.

Troph,  I’m not an avid fly fisherman at all but aside from what BS said above, try to find some friends or connections with stock tanks.   The banks are usually easy to cast from and fish for bass and perch.  It’s not gorgeous trout stream fishing but it’d be good practice.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Lucky he didn’t hole that thing.  
Lucky he wasnt out there alone cause he would have been on plane.

When the Redfish tour is in town the guys in the scb custom wrapped rigs that drive their boats from 7 foot towers always pull their big motor, drop the trolling motor via remote control, and squeeze through on their way to the duck lakes a few miles up the bayou.

Look at fishing the Colorado River below Austin for bass in early spring on the fly. There are a few guides that specialize in it then head back to Colorado/New Mexico for the summer trout season. Look up Alvin Dedeaux youtube or instagram
  • Like 1

non-Colt is correct.

Pulaski, NY, last fall.  mostly king salmon, but a few steelhead.  guide said my rig was way too light, and he wasn't wrong.  smoked my drag on the first day.  had to palm it, after that, which made it more fun, esp on the steelies.  going back this fall, with a new reel.

36318069-FD4-C-473-C-BC6-E-2049-F9-F0-C6

1-BE37-A22-A134-4756-8518-231-A56-C40-AD

F3-DBEDB3-213-A-4-B53-92-DE-FCD8-CFE6737

F2-F72654-8-D77-45-F5-A218-134-BF51-E08-

• Like 7

When people tell me they'd like to start fly fishing, I usually tell them to go out and buy some meth...in the long run it will be cheaper and easier to quit.

If you don't take the advice above.... 

If I remember right, you live out in Lakeway, right Troph? Go check out Sportsman's Finest on Bee Cave Rd. They are the best, most complete fly shop in the area. They also offer casting lessons (highly recommend), and have their own travel outfitter. 

• Like 1

I know sportsman’s finest ... my boys and I will head over there soon. My girlfriend is either going to love the news (she loves airstreaming / camping) or she’s gonna hate it (she doesn’t kill things). Major cross roads may be coming.

Find a guide that fishes the first 5 crossings of canyon lake tail race with nymphs and put him on retainer. I used to have the guy (as did Andy Fastow) but pussy (in NC) is undefeated. I'd call that fly shop in Greune and ask them. Join the Guadelupe river chapter of trout unlimited.

I’m totally gonna check this out.

Look at fishing the Colorado River below Austin for bass in early spring on the fly. There are a few guides that specialize in it then head back to Colorado/New Mexico for the summer trout season. Look up Alvin Dedeaux youtube or instagram

Will do.

Need a few summer spots local though. I’m not sure I can wait.

37 minutes ago, troph said:

Will do.

Need a few summer spots local though. I’m not sure I can wait.

Virtually every river in the hill country is worth fishing with a fly rod.  The hill country has several species of fish -- Guadalupe Bass and Rio Grande Cichlids -- that are great fly rod species but tend to be ignored by guys who fish conventional gear.  I frequently fish the San Gabriel, Bull Creek, Brushy Creek, and the Blanco.  The Lower Colorado can also be phenomenal at times if you have a kayak.  For west Austin, check out Reimers Ranch. It is popular in Feb/March for white bass, but you can fish it year round.  i would bet there are some great spots on Barton Creek as well. 

As for gear, you could cover most hill country fishing with an 8' 4wt.  Later add a 7 or 8wt for fishing the coast.  Folks at Sportsman's Finest can point you in the right direction.  I also really like the Living Waters shop in Roundrock -- those folks are very helpful and have developed some great fly patterns for fishing this part of the state. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, troph said:

I know sportsman’s finest ... my boys and I will head over there soon. My girlfriend is either going to love the news (she loves airstreaming / camping) or she’s gonna hate it (she doesn’t kill things). Major cross roads may be coming.

Why do you have to kill things?