David Beaty

cdain3

46 minutes ago, field said:

https://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/publicaffairs.ku.edu/files/docs/NOA to KU.pdf

6. [NCAA Division I Manual Bylaws 11.7.1.1, 11.7.3 and 11.7.6 (2017-18 and 2018-19)] 
It is alleged that between December 2017 to mid-October 2018, the institution's football team exceeded the limit on the number of coaches who may be employed by one. This occurred when Jeff Love (Love), football video coordinator (a noncoaching staff member), participated in technical and tactical instruction with football student-athletes and made or assisted in making tactical decisions with football student-athletes during on-field practices. Specifically: 

a. Between December 2017 through April 2018 and between August 2018 through mid-October 2018, Love met with the quarterback student-athletes six to 10 times in the quarterback meeting room of the football office and provided instruction while watching videos of practices and games. Love's instructions included, but were not limited to, identifying quarterback reads, coverage reads and adjustments and defensive fronts and alignments. 
b. During March 2018, Love provided on-field instruction to the quarterbacks on two or three occasions, including tips and adjustments to reading coverages. 
c. In August and September 2018, Love occasionally provided the quarterbacks instructional video through text messages via cellphone. 

7. [NCAA Division I Manual Bylaw 11.1.1.1 (2017-18 and 2018-19)] 
It is alleged that from December 2017 through mid-October 2018, David Beaty (Beaty), then head football coach, is presumed responsible for the violations detailed in Allegation No. 6 and did not rebut the presumption of responsibility. Specifically, Beaty did not demonstrate that he monitored his staff within the football program because Beaty knew that Jeff Love (Love), football video coordinator, was a former college quarterbacks coach, spent time with the quarterbacks on the team and, on at least one occasion, Beaty observed Love alone in a meeting with the quarterbacks watching film. Beaty failed to identify the red flags involving Love and further failed to ask pointed questions to confirm compliance with NCAA legislation. 

This is some funny shit. aggie takes this to 11 under jimbo.

Is ku dumb enough to think they can use Beaty to avoid the rampant mbb cheating scrutiny? I guess it could work if he comes here, Kurt and FCB will try to stir it up.

Edited by Goodman

They have to add the football to stick lack of institutional control on us.  We might get the benefit of not having to pay beaty because of it.  That being said we self reported these violations.  I would rather pay the man his money than have harsher penalties than those coming.

They have to add the football to stick lack of institutional control on us.  We might get the benefit of not having to pay beaty because of it.  That being said we self reported these violations.  I would rather pay the man his money than have harsher penalties than those coming.

You sure? I’m sure there have been places that have gotten dinged with institutional control for one sport. I might be wrong. Kansas is just trying to get out of paying Beaty.

18 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Would be pretty funny if the self reporting chickenshittery is what put things over the top.

• 7 months later...

Not good for Beaty... KU threw him under the bus in hopes of saving Self and the KU basketball program.  

"NCAA enforcement office calls Kansas' violations 'egregious, severe' "

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas, which the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations, the most serious, including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

Kansas is also charged with two Level II violations and one Level III violation related to the football program under coach David Beaty.

Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the independent accountability resolutions process (IARP). An independent resolution panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final and there are no appeals.

"While the football allegations involve alleged Level II and III violations, which are serious alleged violations, there can be no doubt the men's basketball allegations are egregious, severe and are the kind that significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," the NCAA enforcement staff wrote in its reply. "The institution secured significant recruiting and competitive advantages by committing alleged Level I men's basketball violations. The institution, in taking its defiant posture in the case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation."

Kansas officials, along with Self and Townsend, are disputing each of the five Level I violations regarding the men's basketball program, as well as each of the nine aggravating factors cited by the NCAA.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severeing

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not good for Beaty... KU threw him under the bus in hopes of saving Self and the KU basketball program.  

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas, which the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations, the most serious, including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

Kansas is also charged with two Level II violations and one Level III violation related to the football program under coach David Beaty.

Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the independent accountability resolutions process (IARP). An independent resolution panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final and there are no appeals.

"While the football allegations involve alleged Level II and III violations, which are serious alleged violations, there can be no doubt the men's basketball allegations are egregious, severe and are the kind that significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," the NCAA enforcement staff wrote in its reply. "The institution secured significant recruiting and competitive advantages by committing alleged Level I men's basketball violations. The institution, in taking its defiant posture in the case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation."

Kansas officials, along with Self and Townsend, are disputing each of the five Level I violations regarding the men's basketball program, as well as each of the nine aggravating factors cited by the NCAA.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severeing

Well KU told CDC it was level I in order for him not to be hired, fuck ku.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

BEATY NOW... $2.55 million richer 😁

460x.jpg

Kansas 247 version...  (LOL)

"Kansas Athletics settles with former football coach David Beaty"

By SCOTT CHASEN      94 minutes ago

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Kansas-Athletics-settles-with-former-KU-football-coach-David-Beaty-147902475/ 

Kansas Athletics announced on Friday it has entered into a financial settlement with previous football coach David Beaty.  Beaty was fired back in the 2018 season. KU Athletics announced in November, during the season, that it would not be retaining the head coach. At the time, KU athletic director Jeff Long said Kansas would fulfill the terms of Beaty's contract — which said Beaty would be owed $3 million in the event of termination without cause. That information was all conveyed through a KU Athletics release at the time.  Later, that came into dispute, with Beaty filling a lawsuit against his former employer saying he had not received his buyout. That lawsuit was settled on Friday, with Beaty receiving $2.55 million, per a KU Athletics release. 

Here is the University of Kansas' official statement: 

“Today, Kansas Athletics entered into a $2.55 million financial settlement with former head football coach David Beaty, ending all litigation and disputes. Despite the settlement, the University maintains that the facts and principles behind its position remain intact. For the betterment of KU, and driven by a willingness to move forward during a time of uncertainty in college athletics, the University has now put this matter behind us. All funds to be paid as part of the settlement will come from the original amount placed in escrow during the 2018-2019 fiscal year following Beaty’s separation from KU.”

For more background, here's how things got to this point...

After Beaty was fired, he was allowed to coach out the season. According to a KU Athletics spokesman, Beaty received an exit interview following the season — such is the case for all football coaches — in which the department uncovered "possible NCAA violations allegedly committed by Beaty."

KU then, according to the spokesman, contacted the NCAA and Big 12 conference, which led to an investigation into the matter. The spokesman said Beaty "refused to cooperate with the KU review and, ultimately, the NCAA took the lead" in the investigation.

At the time — March of 2019 — a KU Athletics spokesman said the buyout money had been placed in escrow "in a show of good faith."    Those alleged violations have since been used as part of the NCAA's notice of allegations that was previously handed down to Kansas. Beaty's tenure produced allegations of two Level 2 violations. 

Beaty also appeared to be in line to accept a job at Texas, as was reported at the time, but he did not end up being hired onto the Longhorns' staff. He later testified Long advised Texas not to hire him.  

As KU's head coach, Beaty lasted four seasons, winning no more than three games in a single season. He finished with a record of 6-42, which included a mark of 2-34 in conference games. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Wonder if KU has to pay for David's attorney fees or if that comes from his cut.

Settlements are usually all-inclusive.  Meaning the sum paid covers everything.  They also tend not to break out amounts paid for damages vs. attorneys fees.  In personal injury cases, that may not be true because different types of damages may receive different tax treatement.

• Like 1

What a waste of time. I’m not liking the Jeff long hire at all. 

1. Self report football violations. 
2. Use violations to string along a coach we should want no affiliation with. 
3. Be told by the ncaa that if we go to court they will use it against us in our LOIC punishment. 
4. Settle immediately for 85% the amount we owe Beaty. 

if that doesn’t smell bad I don’t know what does. Long’s tactical judgement is seriously flawed. Just like when he admitted adidas was a booster for “hypothetical circumstances” when he was trying to get de Sousa eligible even though self didn’t want him to. Long has misplayed his role every step of the way so far. 

Beaty is a shit coach and an overrated recruiter. But damn, if Ku is going to be even worse at their job then he is then I say give Beaty the money. We certainly don’t deserve to keep it. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 1

3. Be told by the ncaa that if we go to court they will use it against us in our LOIC punishment. 

if that doesn’t smell bad I don’t know what does. Long’s tactical judgement is seriously flawed. Just like when he admitted adidas was a booster for “hypothetical circumstances” when he was trying to get de Sousa eligible even though self didn’t want him to. Long has misplayed his role every step of the way so far. 

Beaty is a shit coach and an overrated recruiter. But damn, if Ku is going to be even worse at their job then he is then I say give Beaty the money. We certainly don’t deserve to keep it. 

Exactly! Cheating programs that have abandoned ethics and laws in order to achieve success at college basketball and football should be hiring AD’s with a compatible lack of ethics so that the cheating can continue to be successful.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, LTtxfan said:

Lawyer GIF by memecandy

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, Jhawk said:

if that doesn’t smell bad I don’t know what does. Long’s tactical judgement is seriously flawed. Just like when he admitted adidas was a booster for “hypothetical circumstances” when he was trying to get de Sousa eligible even though self didn’t want him to. Long has misplayed his role every step of the way so far.   Beaty is a shit coach and an overrated recruiter. But damn, if Ku is going to be even worse at their job then he is then I say give Beaty the money. We certainly don’t deserve to keep it. 

Solid post @Jhawk 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

460x.jpg

Kansas 247 version...  (LOL)

"Kansas Athletics settles with former football coach David Beaty"

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Kansas-Athletics-settles-with-former-KU-football-coach-David-Beaty-147902475/ 

Your Drunk Uncle's Sports Podcast

JUNE 17, 2020

EPISODE 116:  THE MAN WHO FOUGHT FOR DAVID BEATY

High-powered attorney Michael Lyons, a UT grad, joins Anwar to discuss his victory for David Beaty, plus multiple Longhorn topics

https://theyakk.com/podcast/episode-116-the-man-who-fought-for-david-beaty/

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

460x.jpg

Kansas Athletics settles with former football coach David Beaty"

He may be back with Mensa...

Sources: David Beaty returning to college football on Tom Herman's Florida Atlantic staff

Florida Atlantic will represent Beaty's first full-time college job since his 2018 exit at Kansas.

ZACH BARNETT.           16 HOURS AGO

David Beaty is returning to college football as a member of Tom Herman's new Florida Atlantic staff, sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday.  Beaty's specific role is to be determined, sources said, but he'll have a prominent role in shaping the offense.

Beaty has not worked full-time in the college game since he was let go from Kansas following the 2018 season. The nature of his firing sparked a multi-year legal battle between Beaty and former KU athletics director Jeff Long, a struggle Beaty eventually won in the courtroom. 

Beaty briefly joined Herman's Texas staff, but not for long and not in an on-field role.

He spent 2022 as the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for the USFL's Houston Gamblers.

Prior to Kansas, Beaty built a renowned career as a wide receivers coach. Herman and Beaty spent the 2007 season together at Rice; Herman was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Beaty the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

Herman himself spent 2021-22 out of college football following his exit at Texas. He spent 2021 as a support staffer for the Chicago Bears, and this season calling games for CBS Sports Network.

Herman's offensive staff presently consists of run game coordinator/offensive line coach Ed Warinner (a former Herman colleague at Ohio State) and former Georgia Southern head coach Chad Lunsford as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.