2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

Have you ever stayed at the rio? Are the rooms as bad as what I’ve read? I’ve lost enough money at the horseshoe to get a free room for my entire trip, but I’m still tempted to stay somewhere else. 

It was a long time ago when I stayed at the Rio, but back then the rooms were considered nice. Certainly they were decent sized. From what is being reported in the local Vegas press, the Rio continues to be shopped around for sale and the owner has all but abandoned putting any money into the property towards updates. Just basic maintenance lately. So it’s quite likely that the rooms are as bad as you have read about.

I stay there just because its free and take a cab to the side entrance of Bellagio for about $7 when I go to the Strip to play.  The rooms are certainly not "nice" compared to the popular properties but adequate for sleep and a shower which is all I use them for.  They are on par with the lower properties on the Strip - Flamingo, Harrah's, Bally's etc.  If you're gonna be by yourself it's fine.  If your wife or gf is gonna be with you I would spend for the Strip somewhere.

I guess Ive only stayed at the Rio so while I understand the complaints, the good food and ease of waking up and playing cards ten minutes after a shower outweighs paying more money elsehwhere to stay in nicer accommodations.  I mean who sleeps anyway right? 

I guess Ive only stayed at the Rio so while I understand the complaints, the good food and ease of waking up and playing cards ten minutes after a shower outweighs paying more money elsehwhere to stay in nicer accommodations.  I mean who sleeps anyway right? 

Plus your own shitter during tourney breaks is nice
  • Like 1

Plus your own shitter during tourney breaks is nice

Hard to overvalue home toilet advantage. A few years ago I had to deuce before a huge field bracelet event and had to wait in a line for a stall, and do business with a warm toilet seat, fecal humidity in the air, and a line waiting for me to be done. NOPE.

1. 100% true, but be super careful not to chase them to the point where you’ve set yourself up to be owned again. I’ve noticed some guys show the big bluff early and then sit back and wait for monsters to get paid with.

2. They’re almost always folding. Talking itself is a pretty good indication that they’re weak. If they can not only fold like planning but ALSO get you to give them info, they’re going to try. I don’t think many of them are advanced enough to actually make their decision based off of how you respond.

34 minutes ago, disgustipated said:

Thoughts on this play?  Villian is in position and says "im checking dark but reserve the right to change my mind if action to me changes"

Stupid and annoying.  Beyond that, I'm not even sure what it means.  If action changes he can't check, so it's nonsensical.

3 minutes ago, disgustipated said:

Thoughts on this play?  Villian is in position and says "im checking dark but reserve the right to change my mind if action to me changes"

I would say it depends in part on tourny v. cash.  In a tourny, indicating you are going to check dark out of turn like that could be collusive especially if there are multiple people in the pot and/or someone is all-in.  If it's a cash game, I don't know that I give a crap what someone says out of turn in position heads up.  I believe he would be forced to check if it is checked to him as his verbal would be binding at that point.  If it's a multi-way pot and someone else is all-in already or there are multiple people in the pot and some have acted and some haven't --- well then you are a dick and may get your ass kicked.  LOL

23 minutes ago, disgustipated said:

I was heads up with him,  He said the same thing pre and on every street.  I should add he was drinking (actually spilled a beer all over himself) and being pretty annoying in general.  I had AKo and flop was a,k,2 rainbow.  OTF, I led, he called.  OTR, 9, I led he raised i called.  River 2.

And he showed you 92o?

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

1. 100% true, but be super careful not to chase them to the point where you’ve set yourself up to be owned again. I’ve noticed some guys show the big bluff early and then sit back and wait for monsters to get paid with.

2. They’re almost always folding. Talking itself is a pretty good indication that they’re weak. If they can not only fold like planning but ALSO get you to give them info, they’re going to try. I don’t think many of them are advanced enough to actually make their decision based off of how you respond.

yeah, regarding 1, he and I had some pretty good conversations throughout the day.  I think being bitter over a bluff affects you negatively, so both me and the lady that he bluffed barely even acknowledged it.  Not sure he was pissed or not that we didn't react.  He was one of the few action players at a tight table, and to his credit he also showed many winners.  But I eventually gutted him over and over.  Slowly.

Yes, when he asked me that I was relieved in that I figured he was folding.  It was a semi-bluff by me, he had me, but he had a shit hand for what was on the board.

I was heads up with him,  He said the same thing pre and on every street.  I should add he was drinking (actually spilled a beer all over himself) and being pretty annoying in general.  I had AKo and flop was a,k,2 rainbow.  OTF, I led, he called.  OTR, 9, I led he raised i called.  River 2.

Any reason you didn’t reraise turn? Other than 99 you’re kicking his ass and for some reason he wants to raise (I’d be thinking A9s or K9s, or the turn gave him a flush draw)... I’d be looking to get it all in if stacks were right

I did.  I thought I was beat and wanted him to lay down.  Plus I knew it would piss him off lmao

In my experience, guys that agree to show tend to be weak. If you have the nuts, you’re generally afraid to say anything that might cause a fold and you also want the table to think you may have been bluffing after the fact.

And you gave the other players not in the hand notes on you... specifically to ask you that question!

Don’t do it, imo!

On 1/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, TXSooner518 said:

My current tentative plan is June 1-10. 

I've never played in the WSOP and was considering heading out there this year to either play in The Big 50, or possibly the Colossus at the end of June.  The June 1st flight for the Big 50 looks like a nice setup, with days off after Day 1, and 2.  

28 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

I've never played in the WSOP and was considering heading out there this year to either play in The Big 50, or possibly the Colossus at the end of June.  The June 1st flight for the Big 50 looks like a nice setup, with days off after Day 1, and 2.  

Also a 600 deepstack wsop event on Monday and I’m sure some other decent tournaments on the strip. 

On 2/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, Lurch said:

In my experience, guys that agree to show tend to be weak. If you have the nuts, you’re generally afraid to say anything that might cause a fold and you also want the table to think you may have been bluffing after the fact.

And you gave the other players not in the hand notes on you... specifically to ask you that question!

Don’t do it, imo!

Yeah, you tend to be against showing, and I respect that.  

Anyone else watch poker vlogs? I like Andrew Neeme's, Jaman Burton, and Brad Owen, but Ryan Depaulo: Degenerate Gambler is funny as fuck. He does it all though. Trooper97 is baaaad.

Thanks for the reminder to check these out!

I see Andrew came back to Texas Card House last month

Neeme and Owen are solid.  Owen is transitioning from 1-3 to 2-5 to higher limits so it is good to follow the progression.  I also kind of like Johnny Vibes.  His two or three part video segment where he takes a random video watcher who comes into Vegas and he trains up is must watch group of videos.

Spoiler

The dude learns, runs pretty well, wins some money.  Then they register for a tag team event and dude busts his three person team in the first session before tagging and totally melts down about it.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, Lurch said:

Let’s have a friendly challenge.

Who can post the best tourney result (by position, not $) in 2019?

50 player-buyins or more. $100 entry or more. Any poker game.

Place/buyins, converted to decimal, lowest score wins. Tie breaker awarded to first to post a score. Post a photo for “proof”.

12th of 169 ($350 buy-in).  .071

26 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Two way chopped at the Lodge in Round Rock last night as well in a PLO tournament. About 50 runners, $50 entry, I took home $600.

It's fun playing PLO with people that have no idea what they are doing. I just kept driving that bus to value town. 

rebuy?  PLO tourneys with rebuy can get huge.  Without, the variance is awesome.

I rebuy allowed per person. All of us in the final 3 did not rebuy.

Their monday night tournaments rotate between Big O, crazy pinapple, and PLO. Played in the Big O tournament 2 weeks ago but didn't get any cards. It was pretty funny seeing people call all the way down with A2 when there's no low available and then asking why they didn't get half the pot.