2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

16 hours ago, blacklab said:

Was hoping to see you there.

Couple of the dealers are awful. No idea on pot size, don't understand how to chop, etc.

Yeah, they were understaffed and then hired a ton. I know they just sent out a mandatory meeting with one of the floor supervisors before dealers can deal, so maybe that's to address some of that? 

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and you expect @TXSooner518 to know how to count any better???

dear God man, he's a Sooner, 20 is the highest he can count

Hey I can count to 21 if I drop trou.

14 hours ago, Lurch said:

He’s AMAZING at counting the two-outers his opponents catch, though

a326eeabaa96b6ec63019b96e063b895.jpg

• Like 1

We've debated if there is ever logic in folding AA pre-flop here before.  For the first time in my life, I did it yesterday.  And it was obviously the right play, due to weirdness of circuit play and points system.

Background: WSOP satellite deal at my golf course played over like 7 events with your best 4 counting, we only play down to 3, so limping into 3rd is worth the same as dominating.  Only one guy has a legitimate chance to outpoint me to earn one of the seats.  Through coincidence that guy can only play a couple of hours yesterday, then has to leave and let his stack blind off.  We get 5 handed, I'm in a dominating chip position (~60%) with two small stacks on my right (dead stack on my left), and I calculate that it's actually more important for his stack to blind off before anybody else busts from a points perspective.  So, I switch gears to intentionally give chips away and kinda hope the two small stacks are paying enough attention to figure it out and take some from me.  I wasn't colluding, but I wasn't being not obvious about it, either.  They seemed to get it pretty quickly when I folded to a pretty small all-in that I had easily covered.

Anyway, I get AA in the big blind...fold, fold, button raises, small blind pushes his small stack that I easily cover, buuuuuuut it's more important that the small blind stays in the game than it is for me to gain chips, through the logic of this points system.  The dead stack has about 4 revolutions left, and if I don't bust this guy...everybody at the table has his stack covered.  Fold.

I folded a couple other monsters.  It took ~two hours of really weird poker and me giving away a lot of chips, but I successfully donated enough to blind the villain's stack off in 5th and get to the end 2nd in chips to get max points for myself.  I do feel like the poker gods owe me a kick in the nuts, though.  Looking forward to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitwood said:

That point system is new, isn't it?  Wasn't like that when I played a few years ago I think.

Yeah, it’s new...we played it out when you were there. The guy that runs it now has bent over backwards for pretty (my opinion) unreasonable demands, the top 3 tying was to shorten the game even though no staff was complaining about it. Anyway, I think they’re walking over the organizer, because he’s a relatively unknown tennis member. Next month he’s “out of town” and I’m handling the dates. We’ll see how much they’re willing to dick me around. I suspect less but sides may be drawn at this point.

14 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

Yeah, it’s new...we played it out when you were there. The guy that runs it now has bent over backwards for pretty (my opinion) unreasonable demands, the top 3 tying was to shorten the game even though no staff was complaining about it. Anyway, I think they’re walking over the organizer, because he’s a relatively unknown tennis member. Next month he’s “out of town” and I’m handling the dates. We’ll see how much they’re willing to dick me around. I suspect less but sides may be drawn at this point.

Stand your ground.  They still standing firm on the "no guest" poker policy?

And apologize for the hijack.  Volente and I can move this offline going forward.

Edited by chitwood

Yeah, I'm looking at June 1-10 so Big 50, HORSE, $1500 six max, $600 deepstack, $1500 shootout, maybe $1000 Turbo Bounty, and Milly Maker. 

Monster Stack and Mini Main Event will be awesome events, and the Little One for One Drop will be playing super deep, much better value now. Colossus is also MUCH deeper, despite being a $400 event instead of $500 now, another good value. 

Best week-long trip for NLHE rec players is either the week I'm going, or June 27-July 4 which lets you play Colossus, Crazy Eights, Salute to Warriors and Mini Main Event. $2328 for one bullet for each of those tourneys, and they all have very good to extremely excellent structures for the price point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Another awesome tourney is June 24.  $1000 tag team. 2-4 players per team, can tag in anytime you aren't in a hand, no breaks/dinner. Every member has to play at least one orbit. Would be super fun to have a group of guys toss in $250 each and play this.

I volunteer to be a moron.     (I have KK, no fucking way they have AA,   sooner knows how awesome I am)---- alll in..  CALL     AA,  whole team is out in 3 hands....

fking Aus97

19 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Ha, could make for some sick prop betting. If you get a double up or knockout, each team member has to pay you $10 for every BB gained. If you get knocked out, you have to pay each team member $10 for every BB you had at the start of the hand.

you sure about that?

(sooner takes over after  the other 3 guys on the team started with 25 BB and had back to back to back doubleups.     

Sooner sits down with 200 BB.... gets AA   big stack yells all in.... sooner gets it in against 3-8 offsuit    and the 333 flop , 7 turn and we are out.

Sooner pays everyone 2000

everyone else on the team makes $1750 on the tourney, Sooner loses $6250 on a tourney that only costs $1k to play.   and the rest of us rejoice.

I plan on firing every bullet I can come up with in the big50 and the 600 deepstacks. If I have any money left over I’ll play some PH or Venetian tournaments. I would love to play a Omaha or HORSE tournament just for the experience, but I would be a huge dog in those. 

Played a little bit at APP early this evening. I think I played this hand correctly, but I don’t want to be results oriented. Also, it is probably completely player dependent, but wanted to get some feedback. 

1/2 NL stacks ranging from about 150-900. 6 handed. Literally my 5th hand, no information on players. Dealt Ah8h in HJ. Fold to me I raise to 10. About 3 callers. 40 in pot. Flop is 8d7d3x. BB checks, I bet 30 fold, fold, BB check raises to 100. BB is young Asian guy looking at his phone with about 800 in chips and I have about 360. 

I just felt with his stack at a 1/2 table, and maybe me stereotyping him as a younger Asian mail (I’m a 49 YO white male), that this is almost never a set. There are two diamonds on the board, but I really feel he just calls with a set in hopes of getting more from me later and not blowing me off the pot now. This screams flush draw to me. So I call. 

Pot about 240. Turn is Kx. He fires 160. At this point I’m going with my read. Maybe he has suited K8 or K7 but don’t think so. Still think he is semi bluffing the flush draw. I call. I guess I could have shoved the rest here, but not sure if that does anything. 

Pot 560 and I have about 90 behind so river is irrelevant. Comes 4x so 56 hits a straight but I’m not folding anyway. He shoves, I call and he shows 3d6d. So yay, I win. 

Truly not intended as a humble brag, and clearly player dependent, but does the thought process make sense?

...and I really like his check raise on that flop. From his view, you missed all of it and were just firing a cbet in hopes of getting it through. I’m sure he was surprised by your call. What calls there, given that it’s unlikely you have the same draw? He probably sees that he’s a coinflip or better when you call.

He locked himself in w his turn bet size. Had he made it less he perhaps could have folded to a raise/shove on turn/river

I think folding one pair hands that can't really improve much (like this one) to aggression is often the better strategy without a read.

That said, this board is super wet, and our preliminary read (young Asian playing on his phone) along with our image (upper middle class middle aged white guy, he's not stacking off with just a pair!) makes it better IMO to continue.

The turn is interesting. I hate his sizing. With $240 pot and $250 effective stacks, he should either just jam turn, or bet $100, setting up a $150 river jam which can't just get shrug-called by any pair.

In your shoes, if I elect to continue on the turn (which is reasonable, folding is also reasonable), I probably go ahead and just jam the remaining $90.  That way you get it when he bricks river (though he still jammed here, not sure what he thought you could have that 1)calls turn and 2) calls river and 3) loses to a pair of 3s or 1)calls turn and 2) folds river and 3) beats a pair of 3s).  Also we keep ourselves from making a massive river error like folding to a river diamond when he has T9hh or something. Also we give him the chance to make a disaster decision like folding something like 99 by leveling himself into thinking you have something like AK or KQ of diamonds and now have the pair of kings.

Edited to respond to Lurch's 2nd post - I don't hate his flop c/r, but we probably shouldn't be bombing 3/4 pot into 3 callers on flops that hit calling ranges if we have, say, AQ there. Since villain has a pair, he has more equity and I like it more than I would if he had something like J2dd. 

Edited by TXSooner518

I like the flop call given the stereotype read.  The only thing I'd be really afraid of is a set, and you correctly point out that there's almost no way he has that with the flop CR.

I would have just jammed the turn, I think, but that's shitty bet sizing by him.

1 hour ago, chitwood said:

Thanks, all good thoughts.  So while the flop call was OK, folding may have been better.  Probably let ego get a little involved and didn't want to get pushed off the pot so easily. 

I don't like folding to this villain with this many possible draws on the board. I was saying in general people call too much with one pair hands. For example, you have KT, flop comes K94. You bet, straightforward 1/2 player raises. Most people call, and I think we should fold. Straightforward 1/2 players are usually not raising worse for value, and we don't have a lot of ways to improve our hand (as opposed to having, say, KThh on K94hh or QJ on JT9).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

I don't like folding to this villain with this many possible draws on the board. I was saying in general people call too much with one pair hands. For example, you have KT, flop comes K94. You bet, straightforward 1/2 player raises. Most people call, and I think we should fold. Straightforward 1/2 players are usually not raising worse for value, and we don't have a lot of ways to improve our hand (as opposed to having, say, KThh on K94hh or QJ on JT9).  

I'd say that's highly dependent on the makeup of the table, at least around here.  If Old Man Poker raises me on that board, I'm folding.  If the Asian lady raises me, I'm likely calling.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'd say that's highly dependent on the makeup of the table, at least around here.  If Old Man Poker raises me on that board, I'm folding.  If the Asian lady raises me, I'm likely calling.

Oh absolutely!  Game- and player-dependent hugely. That's why I limit it to "straightforward" 1/2 players. They generally make the mistakes of calling too much rather than raising too much.

Plenty of players who you can happily just stack off with KT there, and plenty where we should see the turn and see what happens. But totally readless in a vacuum, probably folding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I think folding one pair hands that can't really improve much (like this one) to aggression is often the better strategy without a read.

That said, this board is super wet, and our preliminary read (young Asian playing on his phone) along with our image (upper middle class middle aged white guy, he's not stacking off with just a pair!) makes it better IMO to continue.

The turn is interesting. I hate his sizing. With $240 pot and $250 effective stacks, he should either just jam turn, or bet $100, setting up a $150 river jam which can't just get shrug-called by any pair.

In your shoes, if I elect to continue on the turn (which is reasonable, folding is also reasonable), I probably go ahead and just jam the remaining $90.  That way you get it when he bricks river (though he still jammed here, not sure what he thought you could have that 1)calls turn and 2) calls river and 3) loses to a pair of 3s or 1)calls turn and 2) folds river and 3) beats a pair of 3s).  Also we keep ourselves from making a massive river error like folding to a river diamond when he has T9hh or something. Also we give him the chance to make a disaster decision like folding something like 99 by leveling himself into thinking you have something like AK or KQ of diamonds and now have the pair of kings.

Edited to respond to Lurch's 2nd post - I don't hate his flop c/r, but we probably shouldn't be bombing 3/4 pot into 3 callers on flops that hit calling ranges if we have, say, AQ there. Since villain has a pair, he has more equity and I like it more than I would if he had something like J2dd. 

what's the general theory on people playing on their phones?  Idiots or are they feigning disinterest?

Just now, Barry_McCokiner said:

what's the general theory on people playing on their phones?  Idiots or are they feigning disinterest?

Being very general, people on phones are 1) people who think they play well enough to win even when distracted, and those type of people are more aggressive/bluff more/etc., and 2) more likely to click some action buttons because they are wanting/needing action/stimulus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Being very general, people on phones are 1) people who think they play well enough to win even when distracted, and those type of people are more aggressive/bluff more/etc., and 2) more likely to click some action buttons because they are wanting/needing action/stimulus.

Would love your thoughts on stereotypes, pc or not.  In Colorado:

40+ year old Asian men tend to be tight. 

Asian women....chase draws and will gladly let you know it

Men definitely tighter than women, in Blackhawk anyway. Young Asian men are loose, though.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
15 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Men definitely tighter than women, in Blackhawk anyway. Young Asian men are loose, though.

What do you play at Blackhawk?  1/3 2/5?  Notice a difference in players?   

so because Ive seen a few of the Andrew/ Brad  youtube video blogs, youtube recommended a few videos by other poker vlogers,  most are terrible as they recount the hands hours or days afterwards, and its got no excitement in the vid.

There have been a few times where I saw WinoPoker and Marle recommended, and eventually I actually saw at least a few of their vids.  I was hooked in terms of their looks as they are both two pretty good looking women,  but only Marle does a vlog and its mostly her rambling on about random self-deprecating stuff.  oh yeah, she spent her whole highschool years modelling for print and tv ads... So I mostly skim her occasional vlog post, listen for a bit ( she does have a decent sense of humor) to see if there are any hands, watch those and move on.

but as we all know bitches be crazy. and it turns out Marle decided to kinda post her 15min mini-autobiography in video form.  and the level of crazy in this vid is both awesome and terrifying.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

On 3/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

so because Ive seen a few of the Andrew/ Brad  youtube video blogs, youtube recommended a few videos by other poker vlogers,  most are terrible as they recount the hands hours or days afterwards, and its got no excitement in the vid.

There have been a few times where I saw WinoPoker and Marle recommended, and eventually I actually saw at least a few of their vids.  I was hooked in terms of their looks as they are both two pretty good looking women,  but only Marle does a vlog and its mostly her rambling on about random self-deprecating stuff.  oh yeah, she spent her whole highschool years modelling for print and tv ads... So I mostly skim her occasional vlog post, listen for a bit ( she does have a decent sense of humor) to see if there are any hands, watch those and move on.

but as we all know bitches be crazy. and it turns out Marle decided to kinda post her 15min mini-autobiography in video form.  and the level of crazy in this vid is both awesome and terrifying.

Appears she is going to be at TCH in Austin on April 2-3 if interested in seeing her craziness in person....

Im gearing up for my trip to vegas for the madness.  I get in around 10a on Wed morning, and gonna try to make one of the larger daily tourneys right off the bat.

although as I discovered 2 years ago, during the madness, the "daily" tournaments arent guaranteed to actually happen and/or the price goes up significantly.   i.e. $210 tourney suddenly becomes a $425 tourney.

looking ideally for a $150-350 buy in daily tourney that will start anytime from noon through 4p and might last up to 10 hours.

Thinking Aria's daily on Wed, but open to other suggestions.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Im gearing up for my trip to vegas for the madness.  I get in around 10a on Wed morning, and gonna try to make one of the larger daily tourneys right off the bat.

although as I discovered 2 years ago, during the madness, the "daily" tournaments arent guaranteed to actually happen and/or the price goes up significantly.   i.e. $210 tourney suddenly becomes a $425 tourney.

looking ideally for a $150-350 buy in daily tourney that will start anytime from noon through 4p and might last up to 10 hours.

Thinking Aria's daily on Wed, but open to other suggestions.

Out of your price range, but in case you maybe bink something between now and then or wanna shot-take, the Venetian has a $600 MonsterStack on Wed the 20th. 35k chips, 30 minute levels, 50k guarantee. Starts at 12:10, reg open til 4:40, single day tourney. 

Assuming you don't wanna play on Thurs, but they also have a $200 mega Wed night at 6:10 to their $1100 single day tourney on Thurs.