2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

Playing in S Florida tonight. Re: $2 chips...

This is fucking ridiculous...

a4070a96e1f3256b386a08623a8d7d29.jpg

Light pink is $2 and white is $1. People are betting like $18 w 2 red 3 pink 2 white. Try figuring that out from across the table

Oh and the denomination is only written on one side

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bookman said:

Can't say I play a lot of Omaha, or understand it much, but there's nothing like holding the nut straight and middle set, 7-8-5-5 on a Q-5-4-6 board, on the button, with a pot sized bet and a call.

And then river is whatever suit makes the flush or the 7 or 8 and you lose.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

And then river is whatever suit makes the flush or the 7 or 8 and you lose.

Ha, close. I put them all in and they were both chasing flushes -- one to the Q and one to the K.

River was a Q, and I had a boat. Just glad one of them didn't have Q-6 or Q-4 or some shit like that.

here is how you know you should just get up and leave after your first hand.  it would have saved you $340.

very first hand, I am BB, with AA. 2 limpers   first limper has $1500+ in front of him, hes an action player.  folds to me.  i grab 3 reds, and i see the action guy grab 3 to insta call,  so I make it $30.  He still insta calls, other guy folds. 

flop comes JTT,  I check, he checks, Q turn, I check, he checks.  blank river.  I check and of course he has to bet, so he bets $30.  I come real close to folding, but no, Im a moron, and he shows QT.   Action Guy hit no fewer than 10 boats in the 2 hours I played with him.    Getting aces cracked your very first hand really should have just caused me to say fuck it and leave.

I get back a bit of it, then get KThh on the button,  5 limpers to me, I make it $20, action guy insta calls, as does UTG +2.  everyone else folds. 

flop is Jh-6h-Td.   action guy checks,  UTG2 shoves for $73.   I reshove for $260.   Action guy doesnt fold.  takes 2 mins, finally announces fold, and flips over 65o.   why the tank after 2 shoves there??? 

I guess this fucker can read the cards because another 6 comes on the turn.    whew- dodged that one.  then a 9 on the river and UTG2 slams down pocket 9s to hit the fucking 2 outer.  I was fucked no matter what. 

I win $150 back AK vs AQ AIPF.  and for 3 mins I am up $35. 

I get A8dd  in the CO, after several limps I make it $17,   Button calls, action guy calls, and 2 others call.  Flop comes A-T-7.  It checks to me, I bet out $25, button calls, everyone else folds.

Turn is an 8....  I bet out $30  CO raises to $60, I reraise to $150.   CO only has $140 and calls and flips over 7-8.    7 on the river.    another 2 outer, wtf.

chip back up to $250 when I am the CO with KTdd.  I make it $10 after  3 limpers,  everyone calls.   flop is T-5-3, checks to me, I make it $50,  folds all the way around to Viktor.  Hes a crazy asian who just calls.  turn comes 4.  that puts a flush draw and straight draw on the board.   Its a perfect Viktor scare bet card, he leads out for $65, and I call.   river is the Kh which completes the flush draw.   Viktor bets out $65 again, and I of course call.... he shows 4-4   another fucking 2 outer... I just dont understand the call on the flop there.  and then the fucking top 2 pair river forces me to have to call. 

Addon for $100.  chip back up to around $300, until i run into Billy the clown who is only on my table because hes waiting for Big O table 2 to open in 5 mins.   Billy plays hold em like Big O- he assumes any draw is good, and he manages to 6 out me on a Jx-Th-9h  when I have QJhh. I lose $140 on the hand when the fucking Qd hits the river and hes sitting with K-8o. 

action guy is hitting boats, straights, 3 of a kind 2 pair with impunity, hes calling any pre flop bet up to and including $100.  it doesnt matter, dude is on a fucking mission.  Hes got 5 stack of green and several red in front when this bomb pot happens. 

Ive got $185. and I am the button.  top board comes A-T-2,  bottom board 4-3-9.

action guy bets out $20, he gets 3 callers.   I look down at A4.   and with a pair on both boards and over $100 in the middle, I need to shove here.  I do.   action guy snap calls, everyone else gets out of the way.  action guy literally says, I need a J on the top board....  and flips over KQo

Turn puts a 4 on the top board  (WHY POKER GODS???- I dont need 2 pair on that board- put it on the bottom board where my hand is vulnerable to 6 outs) and a K on the fucking bottom (EXACTLY POKER GODS FUCK YOU, I go from a scoop to a God damned chop)

except theres no chop, we all know what fucking card is going to hit the river on the top right?  I mean, there is no fucking doubt about it.   J river, blank bottom and he felts me with a single board inside straight draw and then manages to bink both fucking boards.

I left after that.    Poker gods would not let me even think about winning tonight. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

well I just got absolutely destroyed in 1 hour 25 mins.  5/5 game

start with $500. very first hand is a bomb pot, ive got AA.  I bet $30 everyone folds.   I thought that was probably a bad omen.  it was.

lose about $150 with AJ on a AJ5  rainbow, Im early position. I bet $20 pre, got 1 caller on button, bet $40 on the flop got called.  turn is a 5,  I check button checks.  river is a blank. I check and button bets out $90.  I snap call he flips over A5.

ok. addon $200.

get AJ on the button raise to $35 get called by both small and big.  A high flop they check to me, I bet $50, they both fold. 

sitting with $425 when I get AQcc on the button,  dude sits down in 1 seat,  UTG its his very first hand,  limps, folds to me.

I make it $35 folds around to him,  he calls. 

Flop is Q-8-7 rainbow.  he checks to me, I bet out $55.  he calls,  turn is 8h.   he now leads out for $110.      Ive only got $340 behind.   so either I believe him or push with top 2 pair.

I shove.  and.... he does NOT snap call, he asks for a count, finally calls,  river is an ace, and I think I might have just sucked out on KK......   Nope   89o.  welcome to the table.

$400 rebuy

that same player then about 4 hands later makes it $20, gets 2 callers,  Button (not me) raises to $100 with about $700 behind.    89o asks for a count, and goes ahead and smooth calls, which causes the 2 other callers to limp.  flop is T high.  checks to the button who shoves, gets snap called by 89o who now has TT.... and he takes that pot against AA. 

players to my left have been raising a lot, and Im willing to see a $35 flop but not real keen on leading out for $30 and getting repopped to $90 or more which has been happening a lot.    This hand,  Button, who many people here have played with, Victoria, she loves to be a short stack and shove all the time with rando hands.    loses 3 all ins for $200+ before this hand.  she has a mad fascination with 5-7o, loses at least one of her all ins with it.a few hands earlier she doubled up  and has me covered by a small amount.   She has shoved all in 2 other times with AK, both times she got called by AK pre. 

about an hour after the AQ hand (after another $200 addon)  I get J9o in LP and limp,   folds to V who makes it $35.  folds to me and I call.

flop is pretty damn good.  JJ2.   I check, she checks.    turn is a 2.   I check again trying to show weakness and get her to bet, she bets out $25.  I really think about raising, but I dont want to scare her off if shes got a spade draw. So I just call.   river is an Ad.  

Ive got her on an ace other than AK because she probably jams that pre.  so i check, and she finally bet out $100.   I want full value here if shes got a goofy ace, and if she has a J we chop.   So I shove.... right into AJ...... are you fucking kidding me?      I guess I could have just called.  not sure about that.

but down almost $1k on basically 2 hands

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Obviously brutal luck man.

I don't understand why we are checking AJ on AJ55 twice. Get value! Obv here he has the 5 but he is basically never going to have a 5 and we are letting him draw to KQ, KT hands for free and also not tolling hands with an ace. Lots of raggedy aces will pay off hoping the pair on board will make it a chop.

Also don't understand the jam with AQ on Q878 esp given we have no read on this guy. We aren't making better fold, and very few worse hands are going to call. Just call turn, and let him bluff again on river if he's bluffing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

$650 at $2/5

I limp UTG w 3c3s. UTG+1 makes it $25. CO, BTN, SB, BB and I all call. $150 pot.

Ah2c3h. Checks to me and I open $75. UTG+1 folds. CO makes it $175. Folds to me.

Call, reraise to $350 or jam for $625 total?

CO ($800 behind) is a 50yo white semi regular dude. Hasn’t proven to be particularly good.

Agree with Sooner.  You got your hand heads up thanks to his raise.  It seems unlikely he does that with the flush draw as he would want others in.  Narrows his range I think.  Nothing you can do if he was tricky playing AA or stumbled into the miracle 45.  Any raise amount (other than jam) is going to make you come across as ridiculously strong due to the percentage that raise is to your remaining stack.  So you may only get a 45 call there of your non-all-in raise.  It looks much more like a flush draw if you try to rip it in.

So vote 1 - flat, check raise turn all in.

If you jam, I'm OK with it as well, but prefer the check-raise on turn.

Edited by deech

26 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Also I couldn’t imagine planning a check jam turn. Too risky I’m giving him a free look at river for flush draw

His raise makes the flush a lot less likely.  I think after his $100 raise, he is sitting on:  AA, 45, A3, A2, 22, AK maybe AQ, A4, or A5.  Flush draw even the nut flush draw likely doesn't  near min raise like that.  They flat and hope they get more callers.  They could also jam.  Small raising like that indicates strength more often than draw.  

Edited by deech

I think him having flush draw would be much more likely if the board didn’t have Ah. If it’s Ax2h3h he could make this raise with Axhh because he is super happy to play for it all. Reopening betting and with a sizing that is unlikely to get all folds with just king high I don’t think would be great or common.

played on Tuesday, ended up losing about $75.   the ridiculous highlight of the game was in a 5/5 game with Asian Max being the straddle and me being UTG with roughly $390 behind, I limp with AQhh.

I Just want to see how the table reacts and there is a better than 80% chance Max raises if it limps around to him.   There are 5 other callers, and sure enough Max makes it $75.   I am prepared to lose it all and the UTG limp shove move- especially when I have been playing tight (which I was), is pretty damn strong. all the other players folded to Max  who says fuck it I want to gamble.

we agree to run it with 2 boards.  A on the rainbow flop on the top board followed by running clubs putting 3 out there up top.   Q on the 2nd board with 2 clubgs on that board. No more clubs on the runout of the 2nd board... that turned out to be auspicious..  I show the AQ and it looks like a scooper.  Max stares at his hand and is about to muck before he finally flips over 84cc........ WHAT?    we chop but OK, we just like lighting money on fire at that table.   I got most of my losses back where I more than doubled up with KK and then won another $150 the next hand with KQ on a KQX board. 

played today.  The highlight of the day is felting Mr Lee 3 times at the same sitting.  First one I have $400 behind with KQ on a Q high 2 diamond board.  UTG made it $15, I made it $35, and 3 callers. including Mr Lee in the SB.   

On the flop, Mr Lee bets out $100. folds to me, I shove because Mr Lee never leads for that much with a made hand there. folds to him, he calls,  board runs with no diamonds I show and I am good. He had $325 left.   The very next hand is a bomb pot.

I have A2hh.   Top board is 3h,5h, 9x,     Bottom board is Ax, 2x,8x.   Mr Lee who rebought for $300  bets out $50.  I call because I want to build the pot.  2 other callers.  Turn comes 3x up top and Kx on bottom.    Mr Lee shoves.... I snap call, and one guy with $40 left  calls.  River is Jx up top (no flush) , 6h on bottom  (so close).      Mr Lee shows A6.... for the  better 2 pair on the bottom and the other clown shows J8o no hearts to take the top board.  So I get quartered on the river for the  majority of the $200 remainder.   and poof Mr Lee is right back at $600 

Mr Lee loses $50 at a time to most of the table until he is down to $110 and shoves UTG for it all, I am the button with TT and call.  board runs out AKQ98.    I am fucked right?   He shows 66 and I win.   he rebuys for $300.  promptly doubles up against someone else.  

I get up to $650 but end up losing  $250 with AQ on a Q high rainbow flop against a guy who refused to fold if he had a piece of the board.  Turns out he has QThh and his $75 leadout on the flop to my shove  doesnt matter has he goes running hearts to flush it.   I do win back $180 of that a few hands later against him when I flop a straight to his top pair. 

finally get  KK  UTG on a straddle pot and limp because Mr Lee is the button- he loves to raise as the button.  5 callers and Mr Lee grabs chips to raise, but just calls instead,  BB and SB call, straddle checks.     

board comes out 2-6-K rainbow.   yahtzee.  checks to me, I bet $40, get 3 callers including Mr Lee.  Turn comes the 4th suit 9.   

There are some crazy gutter draws out there, and these fools tend to call with them unless its a bigger bet. So I lead out for $125.  folds to Mr Lee who snap calls.     river is a Q. 

If Mr Lee called those bets with JT, then more power to him.  But his snap call on the turn looked like strength to me,   so I shove for $475 more  and he snap calls.  I show the top set and he shows 22 for the bottom set.   he actually had $15 more than me, but he got up and left immediately after that hand. 

I end up losing about $175 on the next 2 rotations where I am ahead and lose to a rivered higher pair, but cash out for a $760 profit.   first large win in a LONG time. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

We’ve got $1200+/hr high hands and our room is hopping. I bought in for $300, had to top off once for $100 more, then ran that up to $1250 before dinner. Came back and started w $300 again, which I ran up to $875 in two hours. Playing great, and then...

Reg 40 black dude limps UTG. Aggro 30 yo Indian makes it $25 on the button. I have KK in SB. I always, always, always raise this, but felt like UTG was itching to raise, so I just call. Sure enough UTG makes it $80. BTN calls and I 4 bet to $300. UTG snap shoves for total of $750. What the fuck have I just done? I call and lose to AA. Just sickening. I knew it, all the flags were there and I still managed to get it all in. I easily could have gotten away from it with two other lines, but I picked the one that cost the max.

Managed to get my stack in w JJ a few hands later for a full double+ so I only lost $20 for the second half session, but that one still stings.

This fucking game.

Nothing wrong with the KK line, especially when we are OOP and have an aggro in the hand. Also some players won't put you on KK+ since you just called multiway the first time. I don't think he HAS to have AA.  If you think his 5b range is only going to be AA, then 4b smaller and then fold to the 5b, but it's gonna be really rare to accurately range him to {AA}, especially when we played our hand nonstandard (not saying it wasn't good/fine, just not standard).

Nope, 14 hours later and I still hate it.

4bets and 5bets are so rare at $2/5 he is 99% AA and I can’t think of any other hand he’s play like that for the final 1%.

I should have raised my first action to $125. He’s going to raise w AA/KK and flat AK, QQ and JJ. I can comfortably fold to any 4bet. If they eventually wise up and start limp 4betting UTG I can adjust, but let’s be honest... that’s not happening at $2/5.

With the flat line I took (which I too am ok with, though it should be the exception not the standard) I should have gone $200 4bet and folded to a shove

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Nope, 14 hours later and I still hate it.

4bets and 5bets are so rare at $2/5 he is 99% AA and I can’t think of any other hand he’s play like that for the final 1%.

I should have raised my first action to $125. He’s going to raise w AA/KK and flat AK, QQ and JJ. I can comfortably fold to any 4bet. If they eventually wise up and start limp 4betting UTG I can adjust, but let’s be honest... that’s not happening at $2/5.

With the flat line I took (which I too am ok with, though it should be the exception not the standard) I should have gone $200 4bet and folded to a shove

If you go $200 and he jams, we have to call $550 to win $830, so we need 39.8% equity. Against literally KK+ we have 23%. Against QQ+, AKs we have 52%. So basically if he does this half the time with QQ or AKs we gotta go with it. We played our hand a bit oddly, so I think there is just no way we can say 99% AA. He never just decides you can't have the blade, has AKo, has blockers to AA or KK and decides you fold pairs a lot and if you don't, it's a flip?  Never? He's always just flatting those hands to play them multiway out of position?

HH of your full double+ with JJ?

Edited by TXSooner518

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I hope we don’t have any surly players that ask the dealer to wash the deck. Telling the table you harbor irrational beliefs about the deck is exceptionally -ev

So annoying. Even worse when they justify it with "I got the same hand two hands in a row" or whatever.  So last hand you got the 4th and 13th cards, this time you got the 3rd and 12th. Do you think all those cards somehow stayed exactly in a row, or is it maybe a random occurrence?

I had a great session yesterday, posting positive results 9 out of 10 hours with the one miss being fairly small. With that said...

We’re in the 10th hour when fucking douche nozzle UTG opens to $25. Player who just sat down at table as cards were being dealt calls. Folds to me in CO and I raise to $75. Folds to FDN who then says “Are you kidding me? You just sit there and fold every hand but 1 or 2 an hour and now you want to raise me? Unbelievable.” I respond “Well you certainly didn’t need to tell HIM that”, pointing at new guy in disbelief. FDN tries to defend himself by saying he was only talking to me, but dealer quickly points out that the whole table clearly heard him. FDN slams his cards down, racks up and leaves saying “Man that doesn’t give action, doesn’t get action.”

Can you BELIEVE that shit?! Who does that?!

Afterword:
New guy still calls, flop comes A72 rainbow, he checks, I bet, he folds, and OF COURSE I FLIP OVER AKs FTW. Guys, if you sit at a new table and there is literally an argument about the 3better being tight, you can just go ahead and fold.

Played a 3 hour $1/2 session towards the end of the Cowboys game.

Bought in for $200, did 3 full rotations of not having anything, paid blinds & bomb pots, folded the whole time. got 1 chop as BB. 

Finally get A8cc  UTG on the 4th rotation. Limp for $2.

MP makes it $18. Gets 4 callers  I don’t think anyone is very strong, and MP has been caught raising light several times.  I take a bit and shove for $178.

MP takes a long time, and finally calls, everyone else gets out of the way, he wants to run 2 boards, OK.

First board  has 2 clubs and an A. Turn blank, river, club.   I win that one.

2nd board, first 2 cards out are clubs along with an 8, then A then blank.

I show and I was up against AT.  Scoop.    Poker gods rewarded aggression for once.

Later on I am the Button with 93dd.  There are a few limpers, and its $2 to see a flop as the button.  So I limp as well.  SB makes it $8 ????  everyone calls, so do I. 

Flop is Q-J-3, rainbow no diamonds.  BUT it checks all the way around to me.  I bet out $25.  2 callers (SB & CO).

Turn is a T.    Checks around to me again, I bet out $55. Having the draw was helpful, but I thought SB had Jx and wasn’t comfortable and CO had been calling with all kind of rando draws.

SB folds…. CO calls... with only ~$30 behind???  lol man either get it all in or fold.   

River is a total brick 7.   CO checks and there is no way I can push him off of anything at this point, with there being almost $200 in the pot and him having only $30. He has to call with any pair.  

So I give up and check.  CO says “you win”  I show the 3-9 and….. its good. Lol?

I do lose about $110 with T7ss on an As-Tx-9s  flop -up against an aggressive player who was SB.  When I was MP on a straddle pot.   5 players. It checks around on the flop, Ah on the turn, and suddenly SB bets $25.  I call everyone else folds.

River is a 7 giving me 3 pair, and he bets out $80.  I just didn’t believe he had an Ace and he was pushing me off a T.   I take a bit and finally call.  Hes got A5.  Doh.

I make up for that call later against the player (on my right)  from the 3-9 hand. in a bomb pot where I was 3rd to act.  

Top board is 8h-5h-8x.   Bottom board is Ad-Kx-9d.   Ive got K8cc.  

2 checks.  I normally bet here, but have found that others like to bet more than me on paired boards.

I check to see how the betting goes.  MP puts out $30 and it goes call, call, call, call.  

I’m like fuck it.  There are way too many draws on those boards and Im sitting with $400 with about $190 in the middle and I have a really solid hand.   I shove.  Folds all the way to the kid on my right who calls for ~$275.

he shows 84dd.  So hes also got the 8’s with the flush draw on the bottom.   I somehow avoid all the poker Fuck You’s.   no board pair up top, no 4 either, and, more surprising, no diamond on the bottom.  Scoop.  

Play a bit more and leave with $765.   $25 in tips  left me with a nice $540 win.

5 hours ago, Bookman said:

I'll be honest, I don't know if I'm ever calling a limp-jam in a multiway pot with A-10 in a cash game. In a tournament, yes, but not a cash game. What do you beat? K-Q, K-J, K-10, A-9?

you, me, Sooner and most other on here are the same way.  I dont know what it is about the card houses that makes these folks want to GAMBOOOOOLLLL but they fucking do.

I posted a bit back where i played a pot had 4 folks calling $25 before I can act, I look down at KK and shove for more than $450 and I get FIVE calls.  The hands that showed were QQ, AK  (those make sense), then J7dd and 76o both said fuck it, too much money in the pot and they both called for less with $200 & $300 each. 

I understand  calling 76o in a tourney if you are a massive chipleader, or  in the cash game if you are hella short stacked and its only say $40 total to call and possibly get back 5X your money..... but to call all your $300 when you know damn well you need a min of 2 pair to have a chance to win and you have unsuited connectors???

Its why I dont try to get cute and make too many moves because too many times these folks wont fold come hell or highwater until they see the flop.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Yeah calling the AT is horrendous in cash or tourney for that many chips. Even worse with four live players behind you.

Same with calling 76o or J7. Also terrible as tourney chip leader unless the jam is so short that it is +EV to call. Being deeper doesn’t change the equation of calling preflop jams much other than a few weird ICM situations, almost entirely right on bubble or at final table.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, deech said:

Guess I should have tried to make it out to the Neeme/Owen MUG at Paramount.  Sounds like there are a lot of people there.  

Is there anything better than running red hot at a hyper loose aggressive table? 

I hit that MUG.  Never heard of Paramount before, but wanted to play with Andrew and Brad.  It was strictly 1/3, but not as action-oriented as I figured it would be.  Played next to Andrew and Brad separately for a total of about 2 hours.  Netted about $250 playing for four hours less membership, daily, and seat fees.

Brad was basically the guy in his videos.  Much more engaging and friendly than Andrew.  Andrew actually seemed somewhat standoffish.

Glad to have found this thread.  I posted a lot more back on Shaggy, but never a prolific poster.

I am primarily a cash player, 90% at Prime in Houston.  Usually I start out at the 1/3 while waiting for the 5/5 to get going.  I don't think I have ever seen a 2/5 NLH there.  The 5/5 usually converts quickly to 5/10 with probably at least half of the ring straddling.  I prefer the 5/10 game much more.  Those players are respecters of position and sizing.  The 1/3 at Prime is a dang circus, especially at tables 1 and 2.  Too many times you get rivered or villain hits the flop with starting cards you think they would have folded to a decent PF raise.  It can get frustrating going five ways to a flop when you put in a 7-10x raise.

I'm really trying to work on staying focused on the possible hands that beat me.  I have more winning sessions than losers, but I find I can fall victim in large pots with awesome hands that lose to "awesomer" hands.  My internal post mortem usually tells me I should not have come over the top in the end; rather I should have called off and taken or lost the money that was out there.  By way of example, last week I was playing 5/10.  Details aren't totally crisp so bear with me.  I get 99 in LP.  Raiser in EP to $30, caller in MP, and I call to go set mining.  Flop is K96. Checks to me. I bet $75.  Original raiser folds, and MP calls.  Turn is a brick. MP checks.  I bet $125.  MP calls.  River is a 6 for 9's full.  I bet $175.  MP raises to $475.  I go all in (had ~$1400 behind at start of hand).  He snap calls.  I turn over 99.  He turns over KK for boat over boat cooler.  Now, I know there isn't any way I'm getting away from that hand, but afterward I thought this is just another case of not being situationally aware of what was out there that could have beaten me and flatting his raise.

I will try to pay better attention to be able to report hands.  I frankly don't know how some of y'all report your hands in such detail without a court reporter sitting next to you.  Anyway, glad to be here and thanks for all of the content.  It's been fun reading the thread and analysis.

Welcome!

It shouldn't ever be easier to beat good players than bad players. If it is, you are either playing worse against the bad players, or you are mistaken as to what makes players good or bad. You make money when people call 7-10x raises with trash, even if you have short-term frustration.

It's basically impossible to put MP on KK since he flatted the PF raise, obv 66 is a risk but that's one combo. But yeah we do have to think about what he can pay off our jam with. Sometimes it makes sense to just call, even if you think you are good 95+% of the time, if there aren't hands that we beat that pay off a raise. One easy example is 4 hearts on board, we hold the king, someone bets. If they aren't super tight, we win the hand quite a lot of the time. But if we raise, most players will fold everything but the ace unless we are a maniac, so it usually just makes sense to "call expecting to win."

In this hand, it would help to know what the turn blank was. Would it be possible that he turned 2 pair (could if it was a 5 or 7, could not if it was a 2, for example)? If so then he could have rivered a lower boat. Did the turn bring a flush draw that didn't include the 6? If so he could have a 6 with a flush draw, and then made trips. Would this player pay off a jam with trips?

Edited by TXSooner518

Re: how we remember hands... I actually take notes with my hourly stats. The more detailed hands I share often come at the end of the session when I just got felted, though!

——-$300 to $2/5
1: $585 (+$285)
KQo SB call KQ flop rivboat +$125
QJo CO cbet hit Jtrn +$165

2: $870 (+$285)
J9s BTN Jflop +$55
AQo CO AQflop +$235

3: $990 (+$120)
A8s CO vs strad miss fold -$35
AKo MP A flop vs set riv 4cflsh +$190

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Welcome!

It shouldn't ever be easier to beat good players than bad players. If it is, you are either playing worse against the bad players, or you are mistaken as to what makes players good or bad. You make money when people call 7-10x raises with trash, even if you have short-term frustration.

It's basically impossible to put MP on KK since he flatted the PF raise, obv 66 is a risk but that's one combo. But yeah we do have to think about what he can pay off our jam with. Sometimes it makes sense to just call, even if you think you are good 95+% of the time, if there aren't hands that we beat that pay off a raise. One easy example is 4 hearts on board, we hold the king, someone bets. If they aren't super tight, we win the hand quite a lot of the time. But if we raise, most players will fold everything but the ace unless we are a maniac, so it usually just makes sense to "call expecting to win."

In this hand, it would help to know what the turn blank was. Would it be possible that he turned 2 pair (could if it was a 5 or 7, could not if it was a 2, for example)? If so then he could have rivered a lower boat. Did the turn bring a flush draw that didn't include the 6? If so he could have a 6 with a flush draw, and then made trips. Would this player pay off a jam with trips?

I think you're right that my misconception has more to do with it.  I am a fairly nitty player I think.  I don't do a lot of bluffing with air.  At the 1/3, they seem to play with almost anything so maybe their total hands played averages the outcomes for them.  Whereas I play better ranked opening hands, and the number of times the flop hits a far wider range (and I don't connect) lowers my percentage of wins against sticky players with air (since many times they are catching up right away on a dry flop that happens to hit their marginal hole cards). Do I need to widen my range correspondingly to raise my sample size within a single session by playing more marginal holdings which probability would dictate hits the board more often?

In my experience, no. Don’t widen your range simply because they’re wide (though do consider generically if your range is appropriate from each position). Rather, tighten when your less nutty hands will likely have to show to win because they call too much. Make more 3 bets rather than flatting in position to narrow the field. Also consider your bet sizing may need to increase on every street to make them pay for playing junk and calling too much. The delicate balance is that by playing tighter, they may fold to you more preflop, so you’re bet sizing also can’t be too big. It’s a constant adjustment for me.

• Like 1

Agree, don't need to widen your range necessarily, but make sure it's correct for each position. Don't try to win every pot from them just because they are worse players, play good hands in position, relentlessly value bet the shit out of them, and don't try to bluff a table full of stickies.

I would also enhance the value of hands that can make big hands, and decrease the value of hands that generally make one pair. I'd rather take JTs or 44 against a field of 6 sticky opponents than AJo or KQo. But position matters a lot also in getting paid with big hands, so play that accordingly. 

• Like 1

I’m also playing up my low-mid suited aces more. I go in the hand thinking that I’m ready to fold one pair aces but looking for two pair and nut flushes to win stacks with. Those guys that play too many hands get crushed by their middling flushes and one pair aces hands

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I’m also playing up my low-mid suited aces more. I go in the hand thinking that I’m ready to fold one pair aces but looking for two pair and nut flushes to win stacks with. Those guys that play too many hands get crushed by their middling flushes and one pair aces hands

Yep, totally agree with those as well.