2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

Figure we need to have a new thread for 2019- get rid of all the run bad we had last year.

Lets talk about how poker is dead.....  Largest $25k tourney in history started yesterday, 1,039 runners in Poker Stars event $5.1M up top

or maybe not so dead previous largest $25k buy in tourney was 639 entries..... this one is a full 400 more entries.

Damn

Let’s have a friendly challenge.

Who can post the best tourney result (by position, not $) in 2019?

50 player-buyins or more. $100 entry or more. Any poker game.

Place/buyins, converted to decimal, lowest score wins. Tie breaker awarded to first to post a score. Post a photo for “proof”.

I'm not in on the tourny result contest.  I may go the entire year without playing a tourny assuming I can.  Just straight cash games for me.  Getting back on the horse after a bit of a hiatus.  Off to a good start in session 1 and I am hoping i can keep it going.  They play a hand of Omaha every time round the table so I know have about 20 lifetime Omaha hands under my belt.  Never really liked the swings in variance that come with Omaha, but it's my regular game so I guess it's time to learn.

How should I have played this differently?  NLH tournament that was already past the rebuy level, and about 4 levels from being in the money.

I have about an average stack of roughly 30k.  Blinds are 300/600/100.

I raise to 1800 with AKs in early position.  Cutoff makes it 4k and everyone else folds.  I call    (I read this guy as a little tilted because I had taken a decent pot off of him 2 hands earlier)

Flop comes JJ8r.   I check to villian,  He bets 4k,  I call.  I put him on AK, AQ or 77-JJ type ange.  Kind of discount anything in his range with a J since 2 hit the flop.

Turn brings an A.  He shoves roughly 20k .  Call would cripple me to about 3bb.  I can't see anything but a bluff or AK with his 3 bet preflop so I call.  Basically I think we chop or I have him dead.

Tables KJ off.    I know I could have just folded to the shove but with top 2 top kicker I only lose to JJJ or AA.  Guess he was just trying to isolate me and flopped the world.

I’m pretty passive OOP w AK. If I don’t flop it, I’m not afraid to check fold that flop. I don’t want to be chasing in tourneys. I’m either playing aggressively when in position, or looking for ways to fold.

That said, it would have been pretty tough to get away on the turn so can’t fault you at all there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleCharlie said:

I raise to 1800 with AKs in early position.  Cutoff makes it 4k and everyone else folds.  I call    (I read this guy as a little tilted because I had taken a decent pot off of him 2 hands earlier)

Flop comes JJ8r.   I check to villian,  He bets 4k,  I call.  I put him on AK, AQ or 77-JJ type ange.  Kind of discount anything in his range with a J since 2 hit the flop.

Turn brings an A.  He shoves roughly 20k .  Call would cripple me to about 3bb.  I can't see anything but a bluff or AK with his 3 bet preflop so I call.  Basically I think we chop or I have him dead.

Tables KJ off.    I know I could have just folded to the shove but with top 2 top kicker I only lose to JJJ or AA.  Guess he was just trying to isolate me and flopped the world.

Given your read that he is tilted, I'm 4-betting preflop. We are way ahead of a wide 3-bet range, and playing AK OOP in big bloated pots can be really tough. I am 4b to 11k and calling off if needed. 

As played, flop can be a call or fold. On the turn, it's an over pot-size jam on a pretty dry board, I would probably also call just because it seems more designed to make me fold. Like if he has the nuts, what is he hoping to get called by?  Exactly AK that decided to call the flop and then will call the turn?  

River an ace next time like my opponents would.

• Like 3

so the $25k buyin tourney is over.  Sounds like Pokerstars really tossed in a shitload of extra money in this tourney to guarantee it was huge.   They gave away 300  free entries, as well as added $1M to the winners share.

and it turned out one of those free entry winners took it down: Ramon Colillas

of course, he pulled a hand out of his ass heads-up (when he was behind on chips) that would have had everyone of us, and especially sooner beating puppies and jesus at the same time:

With that Martini took roughly a 2-to-1 chip lead into heads-up play. Colillas was able to narrow the gap somewhat over the first 11 hands of heads-up action, but it was the 12th that truly turned things around. With blinds of 250,000-500,000 and a 500,000 big blind ante,

Martini raised to 1,250,000 with the 9Heart Suit6Heart Suit on the button. Colillas called with the QClub Suit5Spade Suit and the two saw a flop of AHeart SuitQHeart Suit4Heart Suit.

Colollias checked and Martini bet 1,000,000 with his flopped flush. Colillas called and the QDiamond Suit turn gave him trips. Martini fired out 4,600,000 when checked to and Colillas called.

The 5Diamond Suit gave Colillas a full house, and he checked again. Martini moved all-in and Colillas called, earning the full double up to take a sizable lead.

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/23535-ramon-colillas-wins-the-largest-25-000-buy-in-poker-tournament-in-history

Prime consistently has the most tables and action and most centrist location.  Mint in Clear Lake has good action especially on weekends (6-8 tables).  I've been playing at the Poker Club at West Side (I-10 west of Mason) due primarily to convenience.  Always one table of 1-3 that plays more like a 6-6-6 after dark due to straddles.  Usually two full tables on weekends.  They offer daily tournaments but hardly ever get more than one table - not a huge focus on them and almost no crossover play to cash after the tournaments.  The new Freerolls in Katy has been flopping so far.  Beautiful room but has been a clown show since opening.  Hopefully they can get it together.

Played my second poker session of the year in a rake free 1-1 home game that gets really deep and crazy including a hand of Omaha per round.  Profit of 2K in one night never sucks.  First hand dealt AA.  Won very little on that one, but the run good was hitting me in the face the rest of the night including a few times on the river (in fairness, I was not all-in, just calling a larger bet on turn with each of us having huge stacks, nailing the river, and getting paid on much larger river bet)

So, my best friend with a controlling bitchy wife finally convinced her to let him go out to WSOP this summer.  Bad news is that he only gets to stay 2 nights (so we'll do 3 days - go out early morning of day 1, come home late afternoon day 3).  That pretty much knocks us out from being able to play any of the WSOP  bracelet events, right?  I was thinking plan B would just be to play the daily WSOP deepstacks and cash games at the Rio (or elsewhere, if we desire).  Anyone have a better plan?  Yes, I know the best plan is to get better friends, but he's been my best friend since we were 8.  I don't think I'm finding a new one at this point.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So, my best friend with a controlling bitchy wife finally convinced her to let him go out to WSOP this summer.  Bad news is that he only gets to stay 2 nights (so we'll do 3 days - go out early morning of day 1, come home late afternoon day 3).  That pretty much knocks us out from being able to play any of the WSOP  bracelet events, right?  I was thinking plan B would just be to play the daily WSOP deepstacks and cash games at the Rio (or elsewhere, if we desire).  Anyone have a better plan?  Yes, I know the best plan is to get better friends, but he's been my best friend since we were 8.  I don't think I'm finding a new one at this point.

answer is it depends, some of the events are done in 2 days. 

It does mean you cant play the Main Event for sure, since the fastest you can hit the money bubble is 4 days if you enter Day 1C (or 1D if that happens this year) and the money bubble breaks at the end of tourney day 3. 

you would need to plan the trip to make sure you pick 2 days with one of the mid- level tourneys. 

I would say that if you actually go deep in a tourney and are well in the money and forced to play a day 3 and change your ticket.... who cares?   theres a damn good chance that the change ticket cost ( or new flight entirely) is only going to run around $500 or so for a 1 way ticket.  assuming you are in the money, where every 10 people out makes you another $500-1000, it would mean you would have to survive 10 knockouts before coming out ahead.  and fuck if you make the final table, even a small one, its $10k almost for sure guaranteed payout.

hey honey sorry I was a day late, but heres an extra $2k i won for you to go blow on hair dye ( and you keep the other $7500 for yourself)

10 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

answer is it depends, some of the events are done in 2 days. 

It does mean you cant play the Main Event for sure, since the fastest you can hit the money bubble is 4 days if you enter Day 1C (or 1D if that happens this year) and the money bubble breaks at the end of tourney day 3. 

you would need to plan the trip to make sure you pick 2 days with one of the mid- level tourneys. 

I would say that if you actually go deep in a tourney and are well in the money and forced to play a day 3 and change your ticket.... who cares?   theres a damn good chance that the change ticket cost ( or new flight entirely) is only going to run around $500 or so for a 1 way ticket.  assuming you are in the money, where every 10 people out makes you another $500-1000, it would mean you would have to survive 10 knockouts before coming out ahead.  and fuck if you make the final table, even a small one, its $10k almost for sure guaranteed payout.

hey honey sorry I was a day late, but heres an extra $2k i won for you to go blow on hair dye ( and you keep the other $7500 for yourself)

To clarify, my wife does not give a shit if I stay longer.  And his will ask for the receipt of payment to make sure he hands it all over.

How can you tell which tournaments are likely to end in 2-3 days?  Is it just the smaller buy in ones?  A good event (I think) might be event #29 - $1,000 NL Hold'em that starts Tuesday, June 11.  Or Event #43 - $1,500 NL Hold'em Bounty that starts June 19. Thoughts?

As much as I want to play a bracelet event (and I will someday), I also want to just experience the WSOP.  I've never been out there during the event.

As much as I want to play a bracelet event (and I will someday), I also want to just experience the WSOP.  I've never been out there during the event.

I’m not a tournament player but I’ve been out there many times during WSOP. You can still get over to the Rio and play the daily tournaments which are apparently pretty fun. I would recommend playing cash elsewhere, Rio gives no comps and the other rooms are nicer and busy during WSOP.

5 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I’m not a tournament player but I’ve been out there many times during WSOP. You can still get over to the Rio and play the daily tournaments which are apparently pretty fun. I would recommend playing cash elsewhere, Rio gives no comps and the other rooms are nicer and busy during WSOP.

Not staying at the Rio.  Probably staying at Aria since my friend has never been there.  But we'll spend a lot of time at the Rio.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

How can you tell which tournaments are likely to end in 2-3 days?  Is it just the smaller buy in ones?  A good event (I think) might be event #29 - $1,000 NL Hold'em that starts Tuesday, June 11.  Or Event #43 - $1,500 NL Hold'em Bounty that starts June 19. Thoughts?

honestly just look at last years tourney and see which ones went for 4 days or less.

the 1,500 bounty looks like it went 4 days- but day 4 only had 4 people still playing.   

27 people started day 3.  

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

interesting, I guess they want to speed up the play a bit as they just announced every single no limit tourney this year will have the BB be the ante for everyone at the table. .

they are also screwing around with the starting chip counts and moving those a bit higher, maybe to help with the BB ante

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/23573-world-series-of-poker-all-no-limit-hold-em-events-to-use-big-blind-ante-in-2019

• Like 1

interesting, I guess they want to speed up the play a bit as they just announced every single no limit tourney this year will have the BB be the ante for everyone at the table. .
they are also screwing around with the starting chip counts and moving those a bit higher, maybe to help with the BB ante
https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/23573-world-series-of-poker-all-no-limit-hold-em-events-to-use-big-blind-ante-in-2019

Every tournament should use BB ante. So much better.
  • Like 1

This.  BB ante is so superior.  The difference isn't huge if you are at a unicorn situation where you have:

1) sufficient small denom chips
2) players who are paying attention and are proactive in getting change, nudging the distracted players, etc.
3) a dealer who is proactive in getting change made, solid at math, will nudge distracted players, etc.

But if any of these 3 fails, man traditional ante can be a total beating.  Plus, BBA has other advantages that aren't just specifically related to the time to post antes each hand.  Getting 25 value chips off the table earlier (or not having them at all) makes counting down allin bets much faster; the tourney structure is smoother, with the ante/blind ratio always being the same or close, as opposed to standard structure where the ante can be anywhere from 1/8 to 1/3 of the big blind; avoiding the guys who think it shows how good they are at poker to bet 8775 on the river, because natch they have determined that is much more optimal than 8700 or 8800. 

Separate, related note, the Big 50 structure and details are out. This is going to be MASSIVE.  Great structure for a $500 tourney. Very smart the way they are having each Day 1 have its Day 2 the next day, where players will make the money.  Then all consolidate for Day 3. Keeps players who bag early from waiting around forever and not cashing, and also spreads out the times players make the money which will reduce the wait times at the payout window (not that it will matter for me, ha). 

http://www.wsop.com/2019/the-big-50/

37 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Separate, related note, the Big 50 structure and details are out. This is going to be MASSIVE.  Great structure for a $500 tourney. Very smart the way they are having each Day 1 have its Day 2 the next day, where players will make the money.  Then all consolidate for Day 3. Keeps players who bag early from waiting around forever and not cashing, and also spreads out the times players make the money which will reduce the wait times at the payout window (not that it will matter for me, ha). 

http://www.wsop.com/2019/the-big-50/

That looks like a great structure.  Would be a fun one to play.

The funny part is that two people at my table said how much better the lighting was from the previous year. I cannot comprehend how it could have been worse. With that being said I felt like a fish at the Venetian tournaments,  and like a pro at PH. There was definitely less GTO being used at PH. 

Venetian runs really really good tournaments. Sure, they will have some really good players there. They also have lots of clowns who have watched 3 Doug Polk videos and think they are good and will 3bet-call A4o pre and calldown on a QJ4 8 7 runout and try to justify it with mumbo jumbo about blockers and capped ranges. 

PH has some very soft fields. They are much less organized/professional than V but also a bit more variety and softer fields. I always put together my summer schedule with a combo of WSOP, V, PH, Wynn, Golden Nugget. Had Binion's main event on the schedule last year, didn't make it because I made a day 2 at PH, and heard it was a real cluster. The Binion's main had a great structure, and was BBA which I was wanting to try, but I don't think I would risk it until I hear they have run a reasonable big field event.

Has anyone ever had state taxes taking out on a w-2g? I had almost a grand taking out from Lousiana. If I file a Lousiana state tax return I can get that money back(or a large portion of it) since I don’t live there correct?

Louisiana is the only state I have had that happen in and it’s been a decade. Pretty sure I got that back filing a Louisiana return, yep.